The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Putin orders retaliatory sanctions  (Read 23991 times)

Offline ashbyclarke

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Putin orders retaliatory sanctions
« on: August 06, 2014, 10:33:18 AM »
Full story here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28680656

Excerpt from Putin's decree
With the aim of protecting the national interests of the Russian Federation and in accordance with the Federal Laws of 30 December 2006 No 281-FZ "On special economic measures" and of 28 December 2010 No 390-FZ "On security", I decree that: "State power bodies of the Russian Federation, federal state bodies, local government bodies, legal entities set up in accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation, and organizations and individuals that come under the jurisdiction of the Russian Federation shall proceed in their actions from the fact that, for one year from the date when this decree comes into force, foreign economic transactions involving the importation into the territory of the Russian Federation of certain types of agricultural produce, raw materials and food of which the country of origin is a state which has taken a decision to impose economic sanctions against Russian legal entities and/or individuals, or joined such a decision, are banned or restricted..."
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline WestCoast

andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline ashbyclarke

Re: Putin orders retaliatory sanctions
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 12:41:39 PM »
I'm more interested to know what happens to smaller imports coming from the uk, just sent a tester parcel to see what happens at customs.

Cama-moron seems dead set on ruining any trade links we might have!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 02:03:13 PM »
You are not sending agricultural stuff are you? Although what you send might contravene the knicker ban:chuckle:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 02:33:59 PM »
You are not sending agricultural stuff are you? Although what you send might contravene the knicker ban:chuckle:

Very amusing! Will say Russians are well minded on cotton, my mrs can't buy anything here as it's all poly rubbish!

Import wise, I'm just testing the ropes with customs on anything coming from England !

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
We are still mailing stuff to Russia without issue. Takes a while, but all has been arriving. With Royal Mail or the usual couriers I doubt much will change.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 08:10:52 PM »
 With the current sanctions Russia has lost 75 billion. Putin's cronies will be calling him soon I think once the latest savoy gets enacted.

:offtopic: A 2L bottle of cola in Tashkent now costs $5

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 02:05:04 AM »
Ну наконец-то перестанут продавать эту красную отраву в пластиковых бутылках  :chuckle:
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 03:41:09 AM »
Come into force today, list of banned products include fish milk vegetables nuts and cheese.

So it begins.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 08:55:48 AM »
Yes it made the news here today, Russia imports approx. 564 million dollars with of products a year.
seems the biggest part of that is the pork industry. I have no idea how much  or what Canada imports from Russia.
They have listed USA, Canada, Australia, all of Europe & a few other countries.
The question is, where will they buy this product from and how will it affect themselves?
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 09:51:30 AM »
The question is, where will they buy this product from and how will it affect themselves?

"Imports are what make us better off, exports are simply the grunt work we do in order to purchase them."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2014/08/07/russia-misundertands-trade-and-bans-us-and-eu-food-imports/

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 10:05:56 AM »
Why is Putin willing to hurt his own people? Russia is not going to replace the $15.8 billion in agricultural goods it buy from the EU with its own locally grown/produced products.

It seems unlikely Russia will be able to find that much agricultural products on the world market in the near future. That means the average Russian will suffer. The rich will be able to buy anything they want but the average Russian will go without.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 10:13:23 AM »
I can only assume Putin made a secret deal with the Chinese for melamine infused foods in exchange for gas?

Offline Net_Lenka

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 10:16:27 AM »
Why is Putin willing to hurt his own people? Russia is not going to replace the $15.8 billion in agricultural goods it buy from the EU with its own locally grown/produced products.

It seems unlikely Russia will be able to find that much agricultural products on the world market in the near future. That means the average Russian will suffer. The rich will be able to buy anything they want but the average Russian will go without.

it's amusing  how all of you  suddenly became worry about Russians Don't waste your breath - better take a pity about real victims - civilians in South_west of the Ukraine
- А Вы кто такой будете?
-Тьфу на Вас
-А фамилия Ваша как?  -Тьфу на Вас еще раз .. а фамилия моя слишком известная, чтобы я её называл

Offline Halo

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 10:20:02 AM »
it's amusing  how all of you  suddenly became worry about Russians Don't waste your breath - better take a pity about real victims - civilians in South_west of the Ukraine

True.  Victims of the Muscovite "separatist leaders" who slunk back to Russia, leaving the innocent to suffer, and mop up the mess the former created.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Halo

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 10:31:01 AM »

Russia produces a great deal of food now.  It exported wheat last year.  It can also import fruits and vegetables from some of the "stans" or the Middle East.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »
Better ask - who will buy this product now. Valio stopped their production already - 50% of it was for Russian market.
Russians will buy vologodskoe maslo now, that's all.

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 10:39:40 AM »

Calm down, don't worry about Russians. I'm trying to remember what did I buy was made in USA or EC... almost zero. Milk, eggs, meat, fish, oil, vegetables and fruits were local, rare from China, red poison in plastic bottles made in USA I don't buy.  ;D

Offline Net_Lenka

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 10:44:24 AM »
 The Earth does not revolve around the USA and EU, you know There are aslo Brasil with chikens, Turkey with their vegetables, even Ecuador already offered fish and fruts.. As for apples then last year our office was full "up to a ceiling" because almost every body brought a bag with apples from own dachas  And those were not "plastic balls" - but REAL product
- А Вы кто такой будете?
-Тьфу на Вас
-А фамилия Ваша как?  -Тьфу на Вас еще раз .. а фамилия моя слишком известная, чтобы я её называл

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 10:44:58 AM »
red poison in plastic bottles made in USA I don't buy.  ;D

Anyone who respects their body wouldn't buy red poison in plastic bottles :sick0012:

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »
There are aslo Brasil with chikens, Turkey with their vegetables, even Ecuador already offered fish and fruts..

These are the real winners here. Brazil and Turkey I can imagine picking up substantial trade from this.

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 10:50:42 AM »
The Earth does not revolve around the USA and EU, you know There are aslo Brasil with chikens, Turkey with their vegetables, even Ecuador already offered fish and fruts.. As for apples then last year our office was full "up to a ceiling" because almost every body brought a bag with apples from own dachas  And those were not "plastic balls" - but REAL product

Yes, i was given numerous bags of dacha apples last year.  I had to juice at least half of them in the end as there were just too many to eat.  A bumper year for apples for sure.  Summer and early Autumn are a great time for fruit and vegetables in Russia.  The torpedo melon is my favourite, SO juicy, but the watermelons are great too.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 11:27:56 AM »

Calm down, don't worry about Russians. I'm trying to remember what did I buy was made in USA or EC... almost zero. Milk, eggs, meat, fish, oil, vegetables and fruits were local, rare from China, red poison in plastic bottles made in USA I don't buy.  ;D

Millaa between the EU and US, Russia imported about $17 billion worth of agricultural goods last year so lots of Russians were consuming goods from the EU and US. Maybe not you but lots of other Russians.

What is 'red poison in plastic bottles made in USA'?

Offline Manny

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 11:39:24 AM »

I would think Coke.

Westy, use your noodle. Putin wouldn't apply those sanctions if it made Russia short of food. I am sure they have supply covered from more friendly nations who don't seek to poke their nose into Russia's business.

There will be farmers out there someplace rubbing their hands at the prospect of all the new orders.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 11:42:19 AM »
Between the EU and US, Russia imported about $17 billion worth of agricultural goods last year so lots of Russians were consuming goods from the EU and US. Maybe not you but lots of other Russians.

The sanctions hurt the USA and not Russia. They can replace the food from
other countries. South America could easily make up the difference and the
US loses the market possibly forever.

Obama's stupid reset plan made it so that we don't have any bargaining chips.
Obama/Kerry/Clinton team have screwed up Russian/US relations and continues
to do so.

Red poison in plastic bottles? is it ketchup?
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Registration