The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: I was scammed, can i file a criminal complaint with Russian authorities  (Read 31953 times)

Offline looking4love

• Spouses Country: none
  • Trips: 1-5
"..A scam is usually when there is some misrepresentation or dishonesty.."

Sending me price estimates for ticket, travel, the fact that i should pay for it, as she said didnt have the money, and finally just plainly keeping the money is not dishonest.?

ok.., I thought you was knowledgeable as to what the law views as "scamming". As that is what is important now.

We did not have a "falling out" other then she has changed her mind.

"..She is a pretty crap scammer if it took her two years to get $3k out of you. .."

, she might have just changed her mind, but regardless , being a crappy thief doesnt make stealing legal.

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
"You could have bought air tickets yourself over the internet with your CC, and cancelled them. Result.....you get the money back, not her winning the lottery!"

Offline looking4love

"You could have bought air tickets yourself over the internet with your CC, and cancelled them. Result.....you get the money back, not her winning the lottery!"

I already explained the SHENGEN VISA REquirements.
"...Thats not how Shengen works, you need to show reserve in her OWN bankaccount that she can take care of herself ,.."

Do you understand the bulk was not to pay for tickets?

I see you are from NewZ ,.,Do you know what "Shengen"  is for?  and what rules and regulation apply for Russians?

Offline Ladine

• Trips: Resident
leave the guy alone. He is very upset and offended. he does not want to listen to what he says. need a timeout. It will be difficult to convince.

Council first.
  consultation with a lawyer of his country

Council second
  hire a lawyer in Russia (and it is very expensive and plus aggression against America for Ukrainian policy)
smart will learn - a fool would teach.
Никогда не оправдывайся, если ты невиновен. Если в вас бросают грязью, к вам может и не долететь. А руки того, кто это делает, останутся в грязи. Люблю вас всех.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Council first.

Council second
  hire a lawyer in Russia (and it is very expensive and plus aggression against America for Ukrainian policy)

America doesn't come into this, the guy is European.

A lawyer in his own country is equally useless.

If he wants to sue someone in Russia, he hires a Russian lawyer. If he ever got a judgement, he'll never see the money. He will simply have an expensive piece of paper in a language he cant read. As $3k seems a lot to him, he wont pay Russian court fees to prove a point will he?

I doubt a Russian court would be very sympathetic anyway.

He is angry because he knows he did a silly thing. Normal reaction I suppose for some.

A better question to L4L is why when he is in Europe himself did he not get himself on a plane to there sometime in the last two years?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline looking4love

"..America doesn't come into this, the guy is European. ..|
I am not an american yes, people have a hard time reading what i write, the kneejurks on autopilot are funny,

A better question to L4L is why when he is in Europe himself did he not get himself on a plane to there sometime in the last two years?
I wrote clealry we were both in a relationship but were good friends talking about lot of things etc etc, now we are both free.
And this is still no moral excuse to get scammed.

Offline Halo

I'm the "kneejerk" who assumed you were American, as you quoted a price in US dollars.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline looking4love

I'm the "kneejerk" who assumed you were American, as you quoted a price in US dollars.
I postfixed with  ( current conversion rate with euro approx 1.4)

Ladine talked about anti-American sentiment, you share a brain with her? haha

Anyway. I think i got the most of what i want out of this site, I wish you all good luck.

Offline Ladine

• Trips: Resident
Council first.

Council second

America doesn't come into this, the guy is European.

A lawyer in his own country is equally useless.

If he wants to sue someone in Russia, he hires a Russian lawyer. If he ever got a judgement, he'll never see the money. He will simply have an expensive piece of paper in a language he cant read. As $3k seems a lot to him, he wont pay Russian court fees to prove a point will he?

I doubt a Russian court would be very sympathetic anyway.

He is angry because he knows he did a silly thing. Normal reaction I suppose for some.

agree. I spoke only of consultation with a lawyer of his country.
smart will learn - a fool would teach.
Никогда не оправдывайся, если ты невиновен. Если в вас бросают грязью, к вам может и не долететь. А руки того, кто это делает, останутся в грязи. Люблю вас всех.

Offline looking4love

How do i delete my profile?
I dont see a "delete" or "remove" button.

Offline looking4love

Thanks Manny for the answering my questions

Can you delete my account, I looked under "profile" but dont see  a "delete/remove" button.

Offline redroo

You got nothing of what you wanted off this site.......we are not going to support you wasting more money just to seek revenge.

and learn some geography.......
I very clearly have an Australian flag beside my name and identify as an Australian passported semi resident of FSU
New Zealander's would be very offended to have me sent to their "naughty corner"  :biggrin:

Offline looking4love

"..You got nothing of what you wanted off this site..."
You know what i want from this site? a mindreader.

I very clearly have an Australian flag beside my name
The relevance of your origin pertains to your expertise on Shengen visa equirements.., and this pertains in turn to your misunderstanding that the money was about plane tickets. but you can go back and re-read.

Offline redroo

L4L, I am very aware young ladies (and others) have to prove they have cash or cc's to support themselves during their travels. The same rules exist in Australia.
I also understand english is probably one of many languages you speak (lucky you) but not your first.
Do not take offense at me pointing out you did not have to send her money for tickets....that part you could have controlled easily.
You messed up man, put your hand up and admit it like I and many others have done who made newbies mistakes.
Learn, and move on. Do not waste your life and money on revenge

Offline looking4love

Do not take offense at me pointing out you did not have to send her money for tickets....that part you could have controlled easily.
Sure that would have been 30% of total amount (clearly stated),.., so your saying it is ok to trust her for 70% but to let her have the other 30% ,.., now that was really stupid and irresponsible.

Oh God!..,  :'(

Offline redroo

No, I don't understand why you didn't get off your lounge and go to her since you live in Europe  :'(

Offline redroo

Go in peace man, no one here wishes you any further harm, but we hope you learn and get over your anger  :popcorn:

Offline looking4love

No, I don't understand why you didn't get off your lounge and go to her since you live in Europe  :'(

The distance Lux, Ufa (central Russia) is the same as.... Lux,.., Brazil.

http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Ufa-Russia/Luxembourg

and learn some geography.......
LOL.

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
Go in peace man, no one here wishes you any further harm, but we hope you learn and get over your anger  :popcorn:

Agree 100%. Lesson learned and he got off cheap. There are 1000's of person's every year who get scammed in money or marriage who wish they could push a magic button and have L4L problem instead. I am speaking from first hand experience here.

Offline looking4love

redree: "..but we hope you learn and get over your anger .."

You keep making up stuff about me, why is that?

I am speaking from first hand experience here.

What happened and what did you do about it

Offline WOVO

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
I do not understand why you, people attacking Looking4Love.  He is the VICTIM here.    Yes, he was scammed.  Simple!  She was a scammer and was dishonesty about going to meet him when it was never in her plans

YES, LOOKING4LOVE WAS SCAMMED!

I know, Looking4Love shouldn't have send the money before the initial meeting, and most importantly, he should have gone to Ufa to meet her in the initial meeting! 

He got punishment for sending her the money. 

It is not the question about him being native.  He wanted to know about the legal side.  There should be some legal to file complaint against the scammer.  If he has many evidence to show, as well as his bank account money transfer, then he should have a case.

YOU, MEMBERS, would you prefer the scammers to win everytime, and get away with it.  All the scammers should be stopped, but many of you are too lazy to fight especially when many of you had scammed in the past. 

Offline WOVO

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
Anyway, you would have saved your money if you had travelled to Ufa.  No $100 visa fees daily and no return plane fare for her child.

:offtopic:   You would have saved $2,000 and use that money to hire a hitman to have her killed   LOL

Being a gentleman, it is required for all men to travel to meet the ladies' country in the initial meeting - without any excuses. 

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
I do not understand why you, people attacking Looking4Love.  He is the VICTIM here.    Yes, he was scammed.  Simple!  She was a scammer and was dishonesty about going to meet him when it was never in her plans

I know, Looking4Love shouldn't have send the money before the initial meeting, and most importantly, he should have gone to Ufa to meet her in the initial meeting! 

It is not the question about him being native.  He wanted to know about the legal side.  There should be some legal to file complaint against the scammer.  If he has many evidence to show, as well as his bank account money transfer, then he should have a case.

YOU, MEMBERS, would you prefer the scammers to win everytime, and get away with it.  All the scammers should be stopped, but many of you are too lazy to fight especially when many of you had scammed in the past.

This isn't about attacking him but telling him the course he is choosing to take will cost him more money and prolong his pain and suffering.

Offline looking4love

Thanks WOVO, it seems you understand the issue clearly,.., the irrationality and moral compass of the posters here shows dysfunction of some sorts. yes maybe I should have went to UFA, and if found out it was not serious, I would have lost some vacation days and of course maybe half of the money in travel and expenses. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ufa)
Again.., 2 years of non superficial online communication, I would have never done this if I had met her a month ago, or some stupid excuse about sick mothers etc.
Is not the first time i invited someone, but the previous times they already had Visa for EU. I think this is too much of a moral hazard this amount.

Offline looking4love

"...This isn't about attacking him ..."
we are not taling about you, unless  you share some kind of collective consiousness with the people who were (attacking me)

"..but telling him the course he is choosing to take will cost him more money and prolong his pain and suffering...."

pain and suffering?,  :laugh:   :ROFL: Oh god,..,  less drama would be nice.

Registration