The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: I was scammed, can i file a criminal complaint with Russian authorities  (Read 31962 times)

Offline looking4love

• Spouses Country: none
  • Trips: 1-5
Hi folks,

I have been chatting with a women for some time, i thought i knew her,.., and i send her money for Shengen visa for her and her child ,to meet me this summer.

After she got the money (I used real bankaccount not WU).  There was all kinds of weird drama and discussion popping up, So i suspected she wanted to start a shitstorm and find reason not to come

Anyway, i just said, listen, we not even met and we already do this just after you get th emoney, I think better we call off the whole thing and sned me back the money

She is keeping the money for sure,.., its quite a lot as she lives in Ufa city...and it was travel money to cover the expense.   

I read about filing a criminal complaint as Russia seems to crack down on scammers..., is this so,.., I am looking on how to do this there is a website
http://www.russian-dating-scams.com/scams/criminal_complaint.htm

But some linsk dont work, I thought i would ask the experts here where I could do such a thing

Cheers.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
Once bitten twice shy.
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline looking4love

Are there some people who have residency in Russia, who can answer question asked in first mail?

That would be cool.

Thanks for anyone willing to add constructive answers.

Offline looking4love

Before i did any of this we really talked for a long time skype , cam, mails, I know each other for 2 years,.. I did not visit as i (and she) was involved with someone else at the time and we were just good friends,.., now we both were free and i decided to meet her...I totally wasnt expecting this, I am totally surprised.

Offline Ladine

• Trips: Resident
Before i did any of this we really talked for a long time skype , cam, mails, I know each other for 2 years,.. I did not visit as i (and she) was involved with someone else at the time and we were just good friends,.., now we both were free and i decided to meet her...I totally wasnt expecting this, I am totally surprised.

Well firstly. the court will take into account your real communication. and it means that you were familiar with. want to punish? and there is a place of the offense? someone forced you to send money? or demanded by blackmail? I think not. But of course you can punish. Only there is no guarantee that you will win this case. Only moral fright will. and no more than a big waste of money on your part.

it is equally in both Russia and Ukraine.
smart will learn - a fool would teach.
Никогда не оправдывайся, если ты невиновен. Если в вас бросают грязью, к вам может и не долететь. А руки того, кто это делает, останутся в грязи. Люблю вас всех.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
You sent the money, you made a gift, your choice, your outcome.

Setting aside any possibility of criminal action you did a silly thing, sent a small amount of money to a stranger. Take responsibility for your actions and don't repeat the mistake.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline looking4love

Well firstly. the court will take into account your real communication. and it means that you were familiar with. want to punish? and there is a place of the offense? someone forced you to send money? or demanded by blackmail? I think not. But of course you can punish. Only there is no guarantee that you will win this case. Only moral fright will. and no more than a big waste of money on your part.

Well scamming is never about putting a gun to someone head and get money,..,its getting money by defraud so the term "force" (your quote) is a bit silly as it is never the case with internet scams.

Again i ask here a simple question and this is for Russia because Ukraine have different laws,

Some links here are broken, does someone know how to start criminal complaint,.., I know Putin signed a special law making date-scamming a  punishable offense by 5 years.., it is some time ago i read this on the internet but i am sure of my memory..

Again if someone can provide links, i would be very greatfull.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
How much are we talking about?

Offline looking4love

You sent the money, you made a gift, your choice, your outcome.

Setting aside any possibility of criminal action you did a silly thing, sent a small amount of money to a stranger. Take responsibility for your actions and don't repeat the mistake.

I dont know how trolling is helpfull. and you are not interested in Russian law protecting people like me from scamming, the law says she is responsible! I dont think i made a mistake, this can happen to anyone who has build up a good rapor  with a women over several years. The law exist to protect people against fraud,scam, etc.

It would be very nice if someone could link to the procedure or website describing the process of filing a criminal complaint in this context.
I dont see how offtangent accusations are helpfull.

Offline looking4love

How much are we talking about?
Hi Luke, I am trying to use "search" function on this site , because i am sure I am not the first one talking about this.
Can you recall from memory if the process of filing a criminal complaint has been posted here?

Offline Ladine

Well scamming is never about putting a gun to someone head and get money,..,its getting money by defraud so the term "force" (your quote) is a bit silly as it is never the case with internet scams.

Again i ask here a simple question and this is for Russia because Ukraine have different laws,

Some links here are broken, does someone know how to start criminal complaint,.., I know Putin signed a special law making date-scamming a  punishable offense by 5 years.., it is some time ago i read this on the internet but i am sure of my memory..

Again if someone can provide links, i would be very greatfull.

yes we have different laws. but the rules are the same.

1. Evidence of extortion or blackmail.

2. Forgery.

3 insults or threats

Now I remember little. in any case, you should start with your own lawyer. it takes a long time. without your lawyer? with you or who will not talk.

you should go consult a lawyer in your country primarily
Никогда не оправдывайся, если ты невиновен. Если в вас бросают грязью, к вам может и не долететь. А руки того, кто это делает, останутся в грязи. Люблю вас всех.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
Firstly what sum of money are you talking about?

Offline looking4love

well Above 3000 usd. ( current conversion rate with euro approx 1.4)

Offline Ladine

it depends on your country's counsel. I do not know. I know that in different countries the judicial system works differently. but it is always necessary to start with a lawyer in your country.

Offline looking4love

well Above 3000 usd. ( current conversion rate with euro approx 1.4)

i think this is enough change for Russian authority to take is seriously i hope

Offline looking4love

I appreceate people also spend time on this board for chats and stuff, and conjecture,.., but it would be nice if someone could link me to the info what is broken on this site (last link to process

Has anyone read the text on this site,..? I like Putin for making this law. I respect him a lot. I think the women was ingnorant about Putins anti-scam law, as she is a government employee (as so she claims).

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
Where are you from?

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
You are misunderstanding something fundamental.

There is no crime here. You haven't been scammed. You merely made an internet acquaintance a gift of money, and the recipient hasn't used it for what you intended.

This is no crime here; this is a civil matter. Virement is not a crime.

What you did was foolish, but you made the choice to send the money. Now you realise that you did a silly thing, you are hoping the Russian police will help you retrieve your money? They wont.

And since when did it cost $3000 to travel from UFA to Luxembourg anyway? Was she coming Business Class?  :rolleye0009:

Own your mistake.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline looking4love

I checked the ticket rome2rio.com site, UFA, Frankfurt is 870 euro, and for Shengen you need 100 euro a day (she wanted to stay 14 days+kid ) during first visit. Agency cost (as she doesnt have to travel to Moscow Lux consulate) was ok, 60 euro, not so much.
Lux is small country very few direct flights, to Russia, the cheapest ticket has 3 oversteps as mentioned above.
Again thise are euro numbers, and are not overstated.
--
If this is not a scam , what would be a scam? If "i need money for visa , ticket, operation" and she just keeps it.. how is that not a scam?
Just asking

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
He got "took" for 2 schengen "fees" and 2 return "air tickets"; Mother and child.
He obviously thought 3K was reasonable for that, and paid.

L4L, mate, I know nothing about the links you mention.
It will cost you more than 3K legally to try what? Punish her?
You got burnt, consider it a much cheaper lesson in life than a bad marriage, divorce, financial settlement, and the possible loss of a child.

I understand you thought you "knew" her after 2 years communication, but you did not! You broke the cardinal rule ....... Do NOT send money to women you are not in a real life relationship with. You could have bought air tickets yourself over the internet with your CC, and cancelled them. Result.....you get the money back, not her winning the lottery!
Many of us made mistakes in the past, many here have lost money to agencies, scammers etc. We are telling you to move on and learn. Seeking revenge will take months/years of your life you could spend focussing on a real relationship.

Offline looking4love

What would be considered scamming if this is clearly not a scam according to you Manny.

Thanks for answering this specific question Manny if you can.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
What would be considered scamming if this is clearly not a scam according to you Manny.

Thanks for answering this specific question Manny if you can.

A scam is usually when there is some misrepresentation or dishonesty. Done by someone who sets out to scam you. There would usually be some level of fraud or deception involved.

This is a person you have had an internet friendship with that you chose to send some money to. Then you fell out and demanded a refund.

Not the same as being scammed.

She is a pretty crap scammer if it took her two years to get $3k out of you.

Others are free to disagree.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline looking4love

He got "took" for 2 schengen "fees" and 2 return "air tickets"; Mother and child.
He obviously thought 3K was reasonable for that, and paid.

L4L, mate, I know nothing about the links you mention.
It will cost you more than 3K legally to try what? Punish her?
You got burnt, consider it a much cheaper lesson in life than a bad marriage, divorce, financial settlement, and the possible loss of a child.

I understand you thought you "knew" her after 2 years communication, but you did not! You broke the cardinal rule ....... Do NOT send money to women you are not in a real life relationship with. You could have bought air tickets yourself over the internet with your CC, and cancelled them. Result.....you get the money back, not her winning the lottery!
Many of us made mistakes in the past, many here have lost money to agencies, scammers etc. We are telling you to move on and learn. Seeking revenge will take months/years of your life you could spend focussing on a real relationship.

Thats not how Shengen works, you need to show reserve in her OWN bankaccount that she can take care of herself , the reserve is 100 euro a day you want to visit (kid and women). This has nothing to do with cancable tickets.

Offline Ladine

L4L but not scamm It will be you choice  :coffeeread:

Offline Halo

I think if you want to pursue this, you'll have to hire a Russian lawyer.  Also, keep in mind that anti American sentiment is running high in Russia right now.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten