The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: TSA speaks broken Russian  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
TSA speaks broken Russian
« on: June 22, 2014, 12:25:33 PM »
‘I speak broken Russian’

I was in the Detroit airport yesterday, and saw a Transportation Security Agency sign in the Detroit airport that says “I speak …” (in English) and then says “I speak [language]” in various languages (e.g., “Ich spreche Deutsch” and “Yo hablo español”).

One of the languages is Russian, but the supposed Russian version of “I speak Russian,” while accurately translated word for word (“Я говорю Русский”), is not grammatical: In Russian, you would say, “Я говорю по-русски”; “по” means different things in different contexts, but here it is an idiom used to refer to speaking a particular language.

So the sign conveys that someone in the Detroit airport’s TSA branch speaks not very good Russian — though maybe that’s good enough for this sort of government work.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/06/16/i-speak-broken-russian/

ila_rendered

The author of this piece is Eugene Volokh, who immigrated from The Soviet Union to the US with his family when he was young.  He started working as a computer programmer when he was 12 years old and graduated from UCLA (Univ. of California at Los Angeles) with a double major in Math and Computer Science at age 15.  He is now a law professor at UCLA, specializing in First Amendment issues.

The short piece quoted above is from the popular and influential legal blog he began some years ago.  I think the blog was even cited in a US Supreme Court decision.

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: TSA speaks broken Russian
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 10:45:48 PM »
He's right. The sign should read Я говорю по-русски. At least they conjugated the verb, говорю, correctly.

ila_rendered

русский for example is how you might say something is Russian like русский  язык (Russian language).  Also, русский is the way you'd identify a Russian male with русская being a Russian female.

Isn't Detroit a hub from the USA to Russia (SVO or DME)? I'd think they have a fair amount of Russian speaking traffic if that is the case.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 11:15:30 PM »
It's probably a typo from the sign maker. When I worked in the banking industry we had signs delivered to the bank with spelling errors. It's hard to believe but it's not uncommon for a sign maker to deliver signs with typos.

andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Larry

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »
Isn't Detroit a hub from the USA to Russia (SVO or DME)? I'd think they have a fair amount of Russian speaking traffic if that is the case.

Detroit has lots of regular nonstop flights to and from Domodedovo, Sheremetevo, and Vnukovo airports in Moscow.

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »
It's probably a typo from the sign maker. When I worked in the banking industry we had signs delivered to the bank with spelling errors. It's hard to believe but it's not uncommon for a sign maker to deliver signs with typos.

That is why the printer gives you a "blue line" or other copy of the ad, which you are supposed to sign off on, as the proof that the ad is accepted.  So clearly the person in charge of doing that, didn't do his or her job, prior to giving the go ahead to make the signs.
Anchors Rewoven

Offline Fashionista

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 06:55:16 PM »
It doesn't look like a typo, a typo would be one letter changed, not the whole word used incorrectly in a sentence. I don't usually mind though, it's a source of constant entertainment. Hollywood is the best at it, one would think there is enough Russian speaking people to proofread movie scripts.  Compare with "I speaks England very best"    :-*

Offline Larry

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 06:59:05 PM »
Fashionista,

I see that this is your first post on RUA.  Welcome to the forum.

Offline Fashionista

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 07:23:12 PM »
Thank you :)
The "other" forum dried out, and someone gave me a link to this one. Lotsa familiar names  :8)

Offline Larry

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 07:30:44 PM »
I was almost certain that you were the same "Fashionista" from the other forum.  tiphat

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 08:38:10 PM »
Thank you :)
The "other" forum dried out, and someone gave me a link to this one. Lotsa familiar names  :8)

Welcome. Always good to see another Canadian on the forum. There's no such thing as too many Canadians.  :laugh:
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Registration