The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: UK visa ripoff  (Read 938 times)

Offline Ade

• Spouses Country: Russia/UK-Norway
  • Trips: 5-10
UK visa ripoff
« on: June 06, 2014, 06:48:19 AM »
So why does it have to cost £142* for my wife and mother of my (British) daughter to get a visa to the UK? What a rip off.

What's more, the "Family" visa that's supposed to be for foreigners visiting their British family requires way more documentary evidence than a standard tourist visa, is no cheaper and seems to give little or no more advantage either - so what's the freaking point?

* That's £83 to the UK plus £59 to a visa Processing centre here that will generally hassle my wife as well as take fingerprints. That of course doesn't include travelling expenses to the processing centre which is around a 3 hour round trip.

The money is one thing I could swallow, even without a lot of complaint, but really, all the hassle to do this is the major reason we've only been back to the UK once since we've been married. And that was back when the embassy in Oslo was a cheaper one stop shop for the Family visa - without such ridiculous documentary requirements though, admittedly, still with the finger printing silliness.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: UK visa ripoff
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 08:39:27 AM »
Is she eligible for Norwegian citizenship based on residency?
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Online Dogsoldier

• Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 09:30:22 AM »
See below:

The UK government recently amended the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 (the ‘Regulations’) by adopting the Immigration (European Economic Area) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2013 (the ‘Amendment’). Some of the changes are as follows:

Surinder Singh route

Currently, the Surinder Singh route is a method for British citizens to be reunited with their non-EEA national family members without the need to meet the requirements of the UK Immigration Rules, but rather those of the Regulations. This route involves the British citizen living and exercising a Treaty right as either a worker or self-employed person in an EEA country (not the UK), and then engaging EEA free movement rights to return to the UK whilst under the Regulations.

From 1 January 2014, any application made under the Surinder Singh route (reg 9 of the Regulations), will be subject to a genuineness test.

Once the new requirements are in place, the British citizen will have to have “transferred the centre of his or her life” to another Member State in order to acquire a right of residence in the UK for his or her non-EEA family member seeking a right to reside in the UK upon their return.

Factors relevant to whether the centre of life has transferred to another EEA State will include:

the period of residence in the EEA State as a worker or self-employed person;
the location of the British citizen’s principal residence;
the degree of the British citizen’s integration into the EEA State.
All I know is that Moby knows nothing - Plato.
Wiz loves talking out of his A******e - Me.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 10:05:07 AM »
Was this 'reunite' mode the method used by the little lamented 'moby' to circumvent normal modes of immigration in respect of his former wife?

I can understand why it might be that the UK gov't might want to have some idea of the manner of life the applicant had.

I guess that a person would have to have become non-resident in the UK for this method to work now?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Ade

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »

She is eligible for permanent residence once she gets a grip and passes her Norwegian exam. Citizenship is possible for her in a couple years but she'd have to give up her Russian citizenship as far as I'm aware and that ain't going to happen.

It all comes down to continued paperwork to get to the UK unless someone smart comes along and puts a one time permanent visitors visa in place for people like her.

Offline Ade

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »
Was this 'reunite' mode the method used by the little lamented 'moby' to circumvent normal modes of immigration in respect of his former wife?

I can understand why it might be that the UK gov't might want to have some idea of the manner of life the applicant had.

I guess that a person would have to have become non-resident in the UK for this method to work now?

Yes it was. It would be an interesting approach if I ever intended to live back there, which I don't.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 01:18:08 PM »
Citizenship is possible for her in a couple years but she'd have to give up her Russian citizenship as far as I'm aware and that ain't going to happen.

How could they establish she had given it up? Even if she gives her passport in for "cancellation", as far as I know, Russia will give her a new one on the quiet. I recall reading something about it a while back.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Online Dogsoldier

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 01:40:12 PM »

It all comes down to continued paperwork to get to the UK unless someone smart comes along and puts a one time permanent visitors visa in place for people like her.

Get a 10 yr visit visa then.

Offline Ade

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 07:32:16 AM »

Yes, I could at that. It'll "only" set me back around £850.

I just don't see how they can justify these costs when all she should need to get into the country is a passport, a marriage certificate and me by her side - I mean, that's essentially what they want to get a family visit visa anyway besides the redundant letter of "invitation" and £££.  (:)

Online Dogsoldier

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 07:42:28 AM »

I just don't see how they can justify these costs when all she should need to get into the country is a passport, a marriage certificate and me by her side - I mean, that's essentially what they want to get a family visit visa anyway besides the redundant letter of "invitation" and £££.  (:)
The aim of HMG is to make the entire worldwide UK visa process cost neutral. Visit visas are actually a loss maker.
Hence the Dick Turpinesque charges applied to long term and settlement visas

Offline Ade

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 07:54:55 AM »

The aim of HMG is to make the entire worldwide UK visa process cost neutral. Visit visas are actually a loss maker.
Hence the Dick Turpinesque charges applied to long term and settlement visas

If they process them at a loss then it's doubly idiotic that they enforce processing at all - the dude at the border is more than able to make a quick determination of eligibility when she's standing there with me and our marriage certificate particularly when she has a residence permit for another Western European country. The utter pointlessness makes me want to gnash my teeth.

Registration