The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Best Resources for Learning Ukrainian - A La RussianAccelerator  (Read 4437 times)

Offline GriffinCO

• Trips: 1-5
Hi All,

Going to see a Ukrainian woman who teaches Ukrainian to kids (like an English Teacher here in the states.)  I had been learning Russian via RussianAccelerator and I was hoping to find a similar resource for Ukrainian.  The accelerated learning style is right up my alley and I was learning Russian at a pretty good clip.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Jamie

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Best Resources for Learning Ukrainian - A La RussianAccelerator
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 12:56:36 PM »
Not many adults can learn two languages simultaneously but you strike me as an extremely intelligent fellow so perhaps you'll do fine. I don't know many Ukrainian resources however.

How have you found Accelerator with the learning of grammar and cases, etc?

Offline GriffinCO

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 04:49:46 PM »
Not many adults can learn two languages simultaneously but you strike me as an extremely intelligent fellow so perhaps you'll do fine. I don't know many Ukrainian resources however.

How have you found Accelerator with the learning of grammar and cases, etc?

Yes, I know what you mean.  I've learned spanish, japanese and german...it's a little embarrassing when you try to say something and then realize it's the wrong language coming out.   :-[

While it certainly covers some basic cases I don't think it's designed to give one a polished vocabulary.  It is exceptional for a functional and foundational one, however.  The way it uses not only context and intelligent repetition as new words are introduced, but especially english stories that make up the russian word is where it stands out. 

I trained Instructors for the Air Force and have a background in Accelerated Learning.  Engaging the imagination with visual and auditory stimulation and associating within an existing cognitive framework (things you already know well) makes it exceptionally easy to remember words quickly and effectively.

For example, to learn кстати (by the way) he uses this phrase:  By the way, I kissed Dottie.

It has the meaning of the word and incorporates the russian sounds using english...encapsulated in a funny/quirky story that sticks in your mind.  I've found this to be the FASTEST way to build up my vocabulary.  It takes more work on the front end, but once you come up with a good story it takes very little effort to keep it in long term memory.  I can permanently add 10-15 words/day to my vocab this way.

кстати, I ended up going with Instant Immersion.  Not nearly as good as accelerated learning, but best of the bunch offering Ukrainian.

Offline Agape

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 05:23:38 PM »
I had been learning Russian via RussianAccelerator and I was hoping to find a similar resource for Ukrainian.  The accelerated learning style is right up my alley and I was learning Russian at a pretty good clip.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Jamie

Jamie,

I do not know what does it mean learning some language fast, in "accelerated" way because it's clear it takes us the whole life to learn a  foreign language.
But if you need "a first aid kit" since you're going to Ukraine soon, it must be as fast as possible, true.

Perhaps, you had found many educational sites on the Internet, yet, I found something what possibly could be helpful as it has got audio part besides written text.

http://www.surfacelanguages.com/language/Ukrainian

What confuses me, is that the woman who pronounces words, speaks with a light but perceptible accent, thus, she is not Ukrainian. Still, you can hear how words sound which is better than nothing.

This site, in my opinion, is obviously not for advanced learners.
I do not know you knowledge of Ukrainian, if what I suggest is below you level - I apologize in advance. ))))

If I find something else, something more or less worthy, I'll post it here.
Good luck and feel free to ask any questions what puzzle you.

Agape.

Станем, браття всі за волю, від Сяну до Дону в ріднім краї панувати не дамо нікому. Чорне море ще всміхнеться, дід Дніпро зрадіє, ще на нашій Україні доленька наспіє.

Offline Agape

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 05:39:35 PM »
I've just recalled another site,

http://livemocha.com/pages/languages/learn-ukranian/

There's a possibility to communicate with native speakers there (it's not about Ukrainian only, one can learn the other languages too).
 I used to be a member of it but it was far too long ago. Yet you can give it a try if you wish.
Станем, браття всі за волю, від Сяну до Дону в ріднім краї панувати не дамо нікому. Чорне море ще всміхнеться, дід Дніпро зрадіє, ще на нашій Україні доленька наспіє.

Offline langlang_emy

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 09:29:52 AM »
Hi GriffinCO,

I don't know what the accelerated learning style stands for so I can't give you my views on that.

In the little free time that I have I use Teach Yourself Complete Ukrainian which is my go-to book. I use their vocab section which is free and it has good audio. The problem is in Ukrainian I don't have whom to talk to. Yes, I found a few pen pals but it is not the same as direct interaction. Also probably I need better motivation as my interest comes and goes and the drive is not very strong.

Keep it up! Cheers!