The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Popularity of Trance / EDM / Avicii / DJ Tiesto etc. ?  (Read 6630 times)

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
Popularity of Trance / EDM / Avicii / DJ Tiesto etc. ?
« on: May 17, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »
It surprises people who know me, that I love "trance" music and certain other EDM / techno acts (though I think I am pretty discriminating, in that I like some and don't like others).

e.g.  this is what I am listening to right now

The target range of ladies I am communicating with is approximately, to age 33. 

How popular is this music? 

Does it have any "tinges" associated with it - like, if I tell someone I like it, will they assume I am smoking or ingesting some other substances? 

For instance, in the USA, saying you like Bob Marley and Peter Tosh almost always brings up the question of recreational drug usage ...
Anchors Rewoven

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Popularity of Trance / EDM / Avicii / DJ Tiesto etc. ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:52:39 PM »
It is the most popular of music most of the women we know listen to. It is also what they play in most nightclubs. Maybe throw in a little Western or Russian pop for good measure. In the lounges we would hear music from the 80's remixed electronically or sung in the female vocal lounge genre. Ukraine hosts some large techno events, mostly Kiev but Odessa will have DJ's fly in from Europe in the summer. They will get the latest electronic music before we do in the West many times.

Not associated to drugs as much as it is in the West. The girls just like to go out, have some drinks, and dance. Drug use is looked down on by many and usually associated with heavy abuse and such substances like heroin, etc. Not to say it does not exist, but not like here in the US from my experience.

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 04:10:49 PM »
It is the most popular of music most of the women we know listen to. It is also what they play in most nightclubs. Maybe throw in a little Western or Russian pop for good measure. In the lounges we would hear music from the 80's remixed electronically or sung in the female vocal lounge genre.

It's utter garbage and mostly without any funk or soul to it imo [Trance and Euro pop].   Take a sample from the 80's and put a 4/4 beat to it.   America takes a lot of knocks on this forum, but Chicago is the home of House music, and Detroit is the home of Techno and Electro.  Some of the best and most original tracks ever created in these genres have come from producers in these cities, although many of them had to go and play in Europe to get  recognition.  Many people listen to club/dance music and i doubt they'd think you were a substance abuser just because you liked it; especially if they're under 33. 

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 04:33:41 PM »
In the UK and much of Europe, that music is associated with the drug culture. Anyone who has been to Ibiza will know what I mean. I'll happily stand corrected by any RW here if they disagree.

It is stuff you listen to when you have popped an "e" or had some coke. When you grow out of that scene, marry and breed, you buy the Ibiza chill out albums to reminisce over a bottle or three of Merlot.

I never heard it in the FSU in the company of mature people. If you are chasing women in their early twenties in clubs, maybe. But as the OP is over forty (I think), that would be unwise. But some still chase that dream.  :biggrin:

My music taste is quite eclectic, and I can listen to some of that stuff when the mood strikes.

A middle-aged American getting down to a bit of Trance -  in a baseball cap - would be a sight to behold.  :hidechair:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Slumba

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 04:40:22 PM »

A middle-aged American getting down to a bit of Trance -  in a baseball cap - would be a sight to behold.  :hidechair:

I haven't worn a baseball cap in a very long time   :ROFL: - check my thread on how to dress in the FSU...
Anchors Rewoven

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 04:52:54 PM »
I haven't worn a baseball cap in a very long time   :ROFL: - check my thread on how to dress in the FSU...

It was just one of those mental images.  :ROFL:

I did just hit the link for my wife, she said it "lacked substance". But then again, she doesn't 'get' a lot of western music; The appeal of Elvis through to to Eminem evades her completely (and I like both). Everyone differs I guess. I cant get along with some of the old Soviet time warbling stuff she likes. But the odd unlikely obscure cheesy thing we both like. This for example.

Sorry for the Off Topic.  :whistle:

Back to Trance...........
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Konfushus

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 05:10:53 PM »
The more mainstream acts like Tiesto, Guetta and Avicii are very popular and dance music can be heard in most any taxi, store and marshrutka so I hear it all the time.

The more monotonous (to me) trance type of music (?) you would expect to hear in some club in London is less common. Dance clubs in Russia tend to play dance music with vocals and rehashed songs from the 80s.

I think most any woman up to mid 30s is going to be alright with your taste in music. It's all individual though, maybe you'll find a woman who likes Country & Western.  ;D

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 05:20:11 PM »
My wife and I like a wide and very eclectic mix of music as well. A lot of it depends on the setting and mood. I actually like both links posted so far.  Manny's link would not be very appropriate if I was out on the Ocean fishing with my buddies though   ;D

My wife has a girlfriend who listens to what my wife calls "Russian prison music". It sounds a bit like folk music where guys are singing remorsefully about their criminal past. She rolls her eyes whenever we visit and it is playing   :laugh:

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »
Dance clubs in Russia tend to play dance music with vocals and rehashed songs from the 80s.

What I seemed to notice in Ukraine as well. I was pleasantly surprised to walk into several lounges in Kiev to find a beautiful Slavic woman singing some remakes live even.

Offline Slumba

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 06:24:56 PM »

My wife has a girlfriend who listens to what my wife calls "Russian prison music". It sounds a bit like folk music where guys are singing remorsefully about their criminal past. She rolls her eyes whenever we visit and it is playing   :laugh:

Is this what is called "chanson"?
Anchors Rewoven

Offline Maxx

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 07:26:06 PM »

I've seen these guys twice in concert at Ekaterinburg and Saratov. A full concert with them and you get Russian embedded in your soul. The techno stuff blaring at street corner by the kiosks selling fruits and vegetables lets you know you are in Russia. I like it for that reason but not much else. Of course I am old.  :sick0012:

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 12:31:56 AM »

Is this what is called "chanson"?

Yes there is even a Shanson group named after a large prison here.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 12:59:36 AM »
To answer your first question, yes it is popular with some younger Russians and easily found in clubs, etc.

There is a lengthy list of Russian stations with listen links here.

Examples:

Listen here.

Listen here.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 01:09:55 AM »
шансон (Chanson) is a very old music form dating back to the times of the Tsars, yet can be very contemporary with music that ranges from country, rock, rap, dance, etc. The lyrics are of a "bad boy" criminal theme. Some say that much of the current music originated when Soviet prisons were emptied of political prisoners.

Most major cities and towns have a radio station, including this one in Moscow:

Listen here.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 03:30:48 AM »
It's quite popular with certain folks, there's even those who listen to this type of music at home and practice dance moves.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 05:27:09 PM »
One of my favorite dance songs is Песенка by Ruki Vverh! In my opinion, this one truly transcends the dancefloor. My guess is that they are pretty sick of it in Russia though.   
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 01:27:04 AM »
One of my favorite dance songs is Песенка by Ruki Vverh! In my opinion, this one truly transcends the dancefloor. My guess is that they are pretty sick of it in Russia though.

So I was curious enough to listen to it and thought others may like to.