The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The View from the Ukrainian Side on the Subject of Ukraine.  (Read 211946 times)

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Texan77

Re: The View from the Ukrainian Side on the Subject of Ukraine.
« Reply #3176 on: August 22, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »
The folks in Kiev really should rethink their anti Russian strategy.

Ukraine boosts reverse gas supplies from Europe by 240%

https://www.rt.com/business/398345-ukraine-reverse-gas-russia-europe/

This is just more RT news propaganda. There is a strategy to what Kiev is doing and it is not good for Russia other wise it would not be in RT news. Russia would not give the Ukraine a short contract and Kiev is paying extra now to be able to buy gas else where in future. Ukraine losses transit fee which in comparison small to Russia's loses of gas sales to Ukraine which is large.  Once the well is drilled it cost nothing to produce gas so the profit from the gas is very high.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #3177 on: August 22, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »

This is just more RT news propaganda. There is a strategy to what Kiev is doing and it is not good for Russia other wise it would not be in RT news. Russia would not give the Ukraine a short contract and Kiev is paying extra now to be able to buy gas else where in future. Ukraine losses transit fee which in comparison small to Russia's loses of gas sales to Ukraine which is large.  Once the well is drilled it cost nothing to produce gas so the profit from the gas is very high.

Texan, Russia really does not need the Ukrainian gas market, mainly because in order for Russia to make a profit they need to get paid.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #3178 on: August 22, 2017, 07:53:23 PM »

Texan, Russia really does not need the Ukrainian gas market, mainly because in order for Russia to make a profit they need to get paid.

That's patent nonsense
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3179 on: August 22, 2017, 07:57:17 PM »

Word.  :ROFL:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #3180 on: August 23, 2017, 12:36:58 AM »

Not only that, but Ukraine buys gas from Europe now, guess who Europe buys from  :D
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3181 on: August 23, 2017, 02:06:55 AM »
Many people, including Ukrainians do not realise that Ukraine is now buying Russian gas at higher prices than ever Russia charged.

Ukraine is now buying, from Russia, Ukrainian coal that the Kiev regime refuses to buy from Donbass. And, of course, at a higher price.

In both cases Russia profits.

Ukraine is poor enough that it can not afford to support the stupidity of the Kiev and regime and the corrupt system it supports.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #3182 on: August 29, 2017, 03:15:54 PM »
Bad decisions: how to build the poorest country in Europe

https://voxukraine.org/longreads/poor-country/index_en.html
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #3183 on: August 31, 2017, 03:37:44 PM »

Online Texan77

« Reply #3184 on: August 31, 2017, 09:17:46 PM »
Many people, including Ukrainians do not realise that Ukraine is now buying Russian gas at higher prices than ever Russia charged.

Ukraine is now buying, from Russia, Ukrainian coal that the Kiev regime refuses to buy from Donbass. And, of course, at a higher price.

In both cases Russia profits.

Ukraine is poor enough that it can not afford to support the stupidity of the Kiev and regime and the corrupt system it supports.

The other side of the story. Russia can not use gas as a weapon against Ukraine any longer. Ukraine pays only about 1 per cent more than they would have to have this large degree of freedom.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timdaiss/2016/11/27/ukraine-celebration-one-year-without-russian-gas/#7c4d153762f4

Donbas become more isolated all the time. It population continues to decline. It birth/death ratio is the worse in anywhere Europe or the industrialized world. It mean population age continues to climb. My girl's mother stays in Donbas to care for her parents. When they die she will leave. This is so very common in that area. She has been hoping to sell her real estate but it does not look good.

As a state company in Donbas the coal mines will likely not receive the funds they need to be maintained. 5 years from now they will likely produce less coal and be more financially dependent on Russia.  Yes there is corruption in Ukraine but it is nothing compared to Donbas.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #3185 on: September 02, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »
Earlier in the spring I understood in Kiev from some one origionaly who came from the Donbass that the 'war' was an outright attempt by one ogliarch to upsurp another. From one thing to the next Russia became embroiled but the initial battle was who controlled what assets in this region.

Offline Halo

« Reply #3186 on: September 02, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
Earlier in the spring I understood in Kiev from some one origionaly who came from the Donbass that the 'war' was an outright attempt by one ogliarch to upsurp another. From one thing to the next Russia became embroiled but the initial battle was who controlled what assets in this region.

Yes, that is exactly correct.  It wasn't even between oligarchs.  It was some Western Ukrainian politicians who came and confiscated (i.e., stole) mines that had been stolen previously by Akhmetov.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #3187 on: September 15, 2017, 07:47:42 PM »

UKRAINE'S NEW TANK CAN TAKE ON RUSSIA'S BEST—BUT KIEV CAN'T AFFORD IT

http://www.newsweek.com/ukraines-new-tank-can-take-russias-best-kiev-cant-afford-it-665972

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #3188 on: September 29, 2017, 09:01:20 PM »
This guy was appointed on September 22 and shot dead on the 28th

Ukrainian City Councilor Shot Dead After Interview On Corruption

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-councilor-cherkasy-shot-dead-corruption-interview-binusov/28764298.html

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #3189 on: October 13, 2017, 08:28:55 PM »
‘Cries from Neanderthal cave’: Czech Republic & Ukraine trade jibes over Crimea

https://www.rt.com/news/406521-neanderthal-czech-ukraine-crimea/

Online Texan77

« Reply #3190 on: October 13, 2017, 11:36:55 PM »
‘Cries from Neanderthal cave’: Czech Republic & Ukraine trade jibes over Crimea

https://www.rt.com/news/406521-neanderthal-czech-ukraine-crimea/

Not either country official position, just two men arguing over a mute point. Russia is not ever planning to ever pay the Ukraine anything. So the real Neanderthal  is anybody who would waste time argue about this dead subject.

Offline Manny

« Reply #3191 on: October 14, 2017, 04:40:49 AM »
just two men arguing over a mute point.

Perhaps they are mime artists?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #3192 on: November 23, 2017, 05:27:48 PM »
Will be very difficult time for those living in Lugansk without any money available.

With the unrest taking place at the moment I wonder if Kiev will try an offensive attack to take control?

Ukraine Def. Ministry: All cash from Lugansk withdrawn to RussiaRead more on UNIAN:

https://www.unian.info/m/war/2259256-ukraine-def-ministry-all-cash-from-Lugansk-withdrawn-to-russia.html

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #3193 on: November 24, 2017, 09:05:32 AM »
There's been very little action over the past few months, but the calm might be ending.

Five Ukraine troops die in heavy fighting with Lugansk rebels

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42108007

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #3194 on: November 28, 2017, 04:06:39 PM »

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #3195 on: December 01, 2017, 06:20:22 PM »
Blogger says Ukraine retakes another village in Donbas, ATO HQ reports on "improving tactical positions"Read more on UNIAN:

https://www.unian.info/m/war/2273644-blogger-says-ukraine-retakes-another-village-in-donbas-ato-hq-reports-on-improving-tactical-positions.html

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #3196 on: December 04, 2017, 09:48:30 AM »
Escalation in Donbas: 30 attacks on Ukraine troops, 3 WIA's in last dayRead more on UNIAN:

https://www.unian.info/m/war/2276106-escalation-in-donbas-30-attacks-on-ukraine-troops-3-wias-in-last-day.html

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #3198 on: April 30, 2018, 06:49:08 PM »
Is this a "game changer"?   

http://www.newsweek.com/america-sends-ukraine-javelin-anti-tank-missiles-how-will-putin-respond-905776

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-ukraine-javelin-anti-tank-missile-system-2018-4

Anyhow, another "win-win" situation for defense contractors.   :thumbsup: :chuckle:

No it is not a game changer.

Some 'journalists' do not understand the nature of this 'war'. I can only feel pity for those trapped and helpless in this war zone.

Yes there are some happy defense contractors.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3199 on: May 11, 2018, 07:15:19 AM »
Is this a "game changer"?   

http://www.newsweek.com/america-sends-ukraine-javelin-anti-tank-missiles-how-will-putin-respond-905776

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-ukraine-javelin-anti-tank-missile-system-2018-4

Anyhow, another "win-win" situation for defense contractors.   :thumbsup: :chuckle:

No it is not a game changer.

Some 'journalists' do not understand the nature of this 'war'. I can only feel pity for those trapped and helpless in this war zone.

Yes there are some happy defense contractors.

Yes but that war zone has its benefits , well it must have? As every Ukrainian women searching a foreign husband in the war zone has an old phone.. no food... no internet... and of course wait for it!! No Passport...
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!