The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Life and Times of FSUW in her first year in the US.  (Read 54043 times)

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Life and Times of FSUW in her first year in the US.
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 09:13:17 PM »
Great thread, Orchid. Thank you very much for telling us your thoughts....

I echo Boris and Vendelo and the other guys, Spasibo for sharing such great stories!   :thumbsup:

From hearing about the traditions of your family in Russia and all the special memories that must have for you, to the spirited initiative to make a new life with your husband in your new Country, it's very inspirational for all of us guys to read your stories.

We've all heard that the man is the head and the woman is the neck.  I'm sure there are various ways to interpret this; my version is that it is the woman who inspires the man to be a better man, and of course to do what the hey she wants!   :laugh:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 12:39:03 AM »
Great thread, Orchid. Thank you very much for telling us your thoughts....

I echo Boris and Vendelo and the other guys, Spasibo for sharing such great stories!   :thumbsup:

From hearing about the traditions of your family in Russia and all the special memories that must have for you, to the spirited initiative to make a new life with your husband in your new Country, it's very inspirational for all of us guys to read your stories.

We've all heard that the man is the head and the woman is the neck.  I'm sure there are various ways to interpret this; my version is that it is the woman who inspires the man to be a better man, and of course to do what the hey she wants!   :laugh:

You will spoil me......
OK. I have another story for you. I am still thinking about cooking.....

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 01:01:22 AM »
We were dating each other pretty long time. He has never been married, no children.
He usually invited me to eat at restaurants, or he cooked for me when I was at his house.
It was usually simple food cooked on grill. It was not surprising for me, and I liked barbecue.
Before we got married I said that I wanted to show him Russia. He must see country where I am from.
It was six weeks trip. We had very tight schedule. Only four days were planned to spend in my city.
I wanted to show him my house, my friends, my high school and university…..
Now he is in my house. Now I cook for him. Of course, I cook what I think is the best. I cook MY FAVORITE.
Only one day was planned as a day with “family dinner”. I mean, just two of us, to feel closer as a wife and a husband.
He looked at table with all those plates and bowls and asked me “Is it our Russian wedding?”  I said “No”
“Are you waiting for any guests?” “No, I cooked it for you!”
He took small piece of bread and butter. Nothing else!
I cooked that dinner for half of day! Especially, I wanted to impress him with fish.
We have wonderful pond fish “карп”.  I like to cook it. I buy it alive. It is a big and very strong fish.
The only problem is: it can jump and hit you with tail when you start to clean it.
I fry separately onion, carrots, and other roots. Mix it with fresh herbs and spices and put inside of the whole fish. Cover it with aluminum foil and put in stove.
When it is half way ready I open foil and continue to cook until skin become golden in color. It is snow white inside and very tender.
I put that fish on table. It was steaming. He looked long and then asked “Fish?....With bones???” He even did not try it.
I thought he was just tired from travelling.
Dinner was over.
“I have a surprise for you” I said. We need to walk. I live in downtown. Everything is very close.
We walk one block, another… He exclaims” McDonalds!” and rushes in.
He orders french fries and ugly cherry pie. He thought it was my surprise...
Tickets to ballet have burnt my pocket. They are expensive. Show will start in five minutes…but I see that he is hungry.
He is happy to eat and look at Russian people through huge glass walls. Women are so beautiful!!! He asks me if they wear short skirts and tall hills all the time.
I answer “No, only when you came to Russia”. I said nothing about ballet.

Now, when I am his wife, I know that he does not eat fish at all. Never ever.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 02:11:38 AM »

Thank you for sharing your experiences in such a candid way. This is a very interesting read. Please dont stop.  :nod:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2014, 02:46:36 AM »
Ура!

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 03:04:02 AM »
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.........

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 07:29:49 AM »
Dear Orchid, please go on writing! продолжайте, пожалуйста! It is a pleasure to read you!
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2014, 05:39:49 PM »
I feel sad that he did not even try the fish, especially after you worked so hard on this grand meal for him...well you clearly love him to accept that he did this; he's a very luck man. 

Offline Manny

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
I feel sad that he did not even try the fish, especially after you worked so hard on this grand meal for him...well you clearly love him to accept that he did this; he's a very lucky man.

Even my wife is following this topic.  :party0031:

She commented that I tried all the mostly dreadful stuff her and Mamulka put out when I was first in Russia, and reminded me that they force fed me chocolate with nuts (that they said was nut-free) - and I have a nut allergy. I spent several not nice hours on the bathroom floor suffering Anaphylactic shock with only Zantac as a cure.  :-\

Now, we go to restaurants there.  :-*

I am with Orchid's husband on bony fish though. And the fish is really bony from the Volga for some reason.  :duh:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 01:09:17 AM »
Dear Orchid, please go on writing! продолжайте, пожалуйста! It is a pleasure to read you!
Thank you, Ms. BelleZeBoob!!!
Honestly, I did not expect support from a woman. Great surprise for me!
May be, you will share your experience too.... I am sure you have some stories,

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2014, 01:14:13 AM »
Even my wife is following this topic.  :party0031:

It's an honor for me. Thank you.
I would like to apologize for my English. It's the second language, and I have been in the USA only for three and a half years.
I have another story for you....

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2014, 01:21:10 AM »
When I came to the US, all his friends tried to do something for me.
One couple invited me to ski, but I was too weak. I had pneumonia two months ago.
Then, they have found alternative activity for me.
They came to pick us up with a big truck. It had a crew cab. Two huge dogs were in back of truck.
They brought us to mountains. Windy road was empty. They tied a plastic sled to back of the truck.
 “Get on sled! All you need to do is hold the rope. We will give a ride”
My husband knows me better. “Don’t worry. There are no people. Nobody will laugh at you”
I started on my stomach, then on knees, then I was standing on sled…
I was like snowball at the end. I forgot that I was weak. I was screaming like girl.
Dogs got nuts. They could not wait. Finally, they jumped from truck right on me. They were licking me and pushing me like toy…
Friends stopped truck and my husband ran to rescue me.
”Did you like it?”
“Yes, but dogs were laughing at me”.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2014, 01:38:07 AM »
If you follow me from the beginning, you know that I am still talking about cooking.........

I want to pay that couple back and invite them for Russian dinner.
He is a giant, always smiling giant. His wife is a tiny woman.
From the doorway he says “I am here for borsh. My father was in Russia. He said that it was very delicious. I am lucky. I do not have to go to Russia. I can try a real borsh in my home town”
We eat in a living room. It is decorated with head of dear, stuffed mountain lion, lynx, and birds.
I put on table dinner service that I brought from Russia. It calls “Царская охота” (Tzar's hunting").
I change dish after dish. Each plate has picture of different animals.
They eat everything, and then show each other plate and discuss pictures. They are beautiful.
We had a really good time. Decoration of room have brought topic of hunting and camping….
They look happy and relaxed, but it’s late, time to go home.
In doorway smiling giant asks me. “Orchid, could you, please, tell me what was........ borsh?"
I have lost gift of speech....... I have not explained them what they ate???
His wife helps me “Soup was borsh......... Red........ Red soup was borsh”
Now he is amazed “It was not meat???........ Meat was so good!!!”
My ability to speak is back. “Meat was Beef-Stroganoff........”
His wife asks him “So, what course did you like?”
Smiling giant tries to conceal confusion “I like intercourse...... Let’s go home.”
They leave.
I clean room, do dishes and think “How I can be so stupid!!!”

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 05:05:38 PM »
 I was hunting today for picture of birds that built nest in my wreath. They have five eggs now
Here they are.

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 05:11:48 PM »
I usually bring my dog oustside through the front door. He always bring his toy with him.
Now front door is locked. I do not want to disturb birds.
Dog brings his toy to the front door, leave it there, and go outside through  the back door....

ila_rendered

Offline Agape

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2014, 06:07:30 PM »
I was hunting today for picture of birds that built nest in my wreath. They have five eggs now
Here they are.

Great shots Orchid!It looks quite unbelievable that they are nesting that close to people. You must be a wizard, I believe...
Станем, браття всі за волю, від Сяну до Дону в ріднім краї панувати не дамо нікому. Чорне море ще всміхнеться, дід Дніпро зрадіє, ще на нашій Україні доленька наспіє.

Offline lonedrake

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2014, 09:29:31 PM »
We were dating each other pretty long time. He has never been married, no children.
He usually invited me to eat at restaurants, or he cooked for me when I was at his house.
It was usually simple food cooked on grill. It was not surprising for me, and I liked barbecue.
Before we got married I said that I wanted to show him Russia. He must see country where I am from.
It was six weeks trip. We had very tight schedule. Only four days were planned to spend in my city.
I wanted to show him my house, my friends, my high school and university…..
Now he is in my house. Now I cook for him. Of course, I cook what I think is the best. I cook MY FAVORITE.
Only one day was planned as a day with “family dinner”. I mean, just two of us, to feel closer as a wife and a husband.
He looked at table with all those plates and bowls and asked me “Is it our Russian wedding?”  I said “No”
“Are you waiting for any guests?” “No, I cooked it for you!”
He took small piece of bread and butter. Nothing else!
I cooked that dinner for half of day! Especially, I wanted to impress him with fish.
We have wonderful pond fish “карп”.  I like to cook it. I buy it alive. It is a big and very strong fish.
The only problem is: it can jump and hit you with tail when you start to clean it.
I fry separately onion, carrots, and other roots. Mix it with fresh herbs and spices and put inside of the whole fish. Cover it with aluminum foil and put in stove.
When it is half way ready I open foil and continue to cook until skin become golden in color. It is snow white inside and very tender.
I put that fish on table. It was steaming. He looked long and then asked “Fish?....With bones???” He even did not try it.
I thought he was just tired from travelling.
Dinner was over.
“I have a surprise for you” I said. We need to walk. I live in downtown. Everything is very close.
We walk one block, another… He exclaims” McDonalds!” and rushes in.
He orders french fries and ugly cherry pie. He thought it was my surprise...
Tickets to ballet have burnt my pocket. They are expensive. Show will start in five minutes…but I see that he is hungry.
He is happy to eat and look at Russian people through huge glass walls. Women are so beautiful!!! He asks me if they wear short skirts and tall hills all the time.
I answer “No, only when you came to Russia”. I said nothing about ballet.

Now, when I am his wife, I know that he does not eat fish at all. Never ever.

I loved this story :thumbsup:

My wife talks about the time she made borsch for me. One whiff was enough for me. But, she understood. There are foods she also doesn't eat.

Offline Justmd

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2014, 10:50:03 PM »
Very Nice! enjoyed reading.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2014, 01:08:03 AM »

Great shots Orchid!It looks quite unbelievable that they are nesting that close to people. You must be a wizard, I believe...

I am not a wizard yet. I am still learning..... :)

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2014, 01:09:40 AM »

I loved this story :thumbsup:

My wife talks about the time she made borsch for me. One whiff was enough for me. But, she understood. There are foods she also doesn't eat.

Thank you, and ... Nice to meet you!!

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2014, 01:10:24 AM »
Very Nice! enjoyed reading.
Thank you very much.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 04:28:44 PM »
Smiling giant tries to conceal confusion “I like intercourse...... Let’s go home.”
They leave.

Who said something about "intercourse"?  Was that you Orchid, when you meant to say that you were enjoying the conversation?   :chuckle:

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2014, 04:43:57 PM »
They leave.

Who said something about "intercourse"?  Was that you Orchid, when you meant to say that you were enjoying the conversation?   :chuckle:

Guess what, I did not know meaning of this word, when he said it. I was in shock when looked it up. I did not write it to make story too long.
As for me, I prefer intercourse to any course with all those weight loss problems.
PS I hope it's an adult forum?!......

Offline PBRstreetg

• Spouses Country: Беларусь
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2014, 04:52:58 PM »
It is and don't go changing  :party0011:
Разрушить всегда легче, чем построить. Обидеть проще,чем простить. И врать всегда удобней , чем поверить. А оттолкнуть намного проще, чем любить

Offline Agape

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2014, 07:41:06 AM »
They leave.

What puzzles me is that the word intercourse is considered old-fashioned relatively verbal communication between people, still today it is used not only regarding physical sexual contact but also by diplomats in the context of "Diplomatic intercourse and immunities". )))))
 Presumably, there's some hidden meaning about it in diplomacy sphere...
Станем, браття всі за волю, від Сяну до Дону в ріднім краї панувати не дамо нікому. Чорне море ще всміхнеться, дід Дніпро зрадіє, ще на нашій Україні доленька наспіє.

Registration