The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: VISA HELP!!! Russian fiancee to meet me in Holland...  (Read 2367 times)

Offline wingsguy99

VISA HELP!!! Russian fiancee to meet me in Holland...
« on: July 18, 2007, 12:13:59 AM »
 ???  I need some quick advice from those that know some good hard facts about a few things regarding a RW optaining a "tourist" or "short stay" visa to The Netherlands.

Situation: I have a new job and my company's home office is based in The Netherlands.  I will travel to Holland next month for two weeks for training, and the course, as well as the hotel has been arranged by my employer (not the U.S. office but the office in The Netherlands)...  I was informed today that it is impossible to add her name to the hotel reservations that were arranged by the company as they have 1) previous arrangements with this hotel for discounted rates for it's employees who come for training... or 2) my reservation is joined with the course registration, and to change it or add something to it would seriously screw up thier system somehow... however it's perfectly fine for her to come and stay with me once she arrives...

This trip for her and I takes the place of a previously planned trip to her city in Russia prior to the change of employment by me a few months back.  Now that I'm working at a new place, I don't have the vacation or seniority built up to take long vacations, and besides, I'm already going to be in Holland on my company's dollar...

She travels to Moscow next week for the interview at the embassy, and we are aware of the other strict requirements, but any advice on EVERTHING would be great...

I NEED to know what exactly she needs to show or prove to the consolate when she interviews to prove that she in fact is being (in essence) sponsored for this holiday trip by me, and I have money, job, etc...

How can we obtain something that will show that she's got someplace to stay for the two weeks that is already paid for without us (ME actually) having to pay for an entire different hotel room for the duration of the trip??

Please comment here, but PM's are actually preferred with actually good information that might be of personal nature.  I'm willing to email or contact by phone to in order to find a solution to this problem... and post the results of all of this once I get through it so that others can benefit from my dilemma here...

Thanks HUGE in advance for the "emergency" advice regarding the little time we have left to formulate a different plan to meet in Holland during my training session. :'(

Best regards,
wingsguy99

PS  Jooky, feel free to ping me or call me on this
"If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is..."

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: VISA HELP!!! Russian fiancee to meet me in Holland...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 12:56:33 AM »
Your best bet, is to have her request a shengen-visa for finland and register it in finland.

It will also be valid in NL, as NL is part of the shengen-treaty.

This is how my RW did it, but she lived in St.Petersburg which is near the finnish border.

However, this might require an extra trip to Finland.
You can also request a shengen-visa for Netherlands and have it registered as soon as she lands at Schiphol Airport, she will be allowed to stay 90-days maximum.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline wingsguy99

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 08:48:15 AM »
Thank you, markje.  The problem is that she already has the tickets to travel to Moscow for the interview...  She went to Finland earlier this year for three weeks with a group of students, however her visa was only good for the duration of her stay, and she does not believe that it is a shengen visa.

Actually, the real question is whether or not she must show the she will be staying with me in the same hotel, or if I can get her a reservation from the same hotel that I am staying in, will this be the same as us staying together (me paying, etc.)??  Our concern is proving to them legitimately that she is capable of making the trip, has the money, and that we will be staying together...

Thanks again, markje.  I will be making 8 trips to NL in the next year or two, and we don't want to have her rejected the first time (which can cause problems for her applications in the future as well I believe...).

wingsguy99

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 08:51:41 AM »
As long as you are applying for any visa shorter than 90 days, the only thing you have to prove to the NL, is that you are not trying to settle illegally without going back. So any significant reason to go back to Russia/America/whatever (like a child, good job, etc.) is enough to have your visa approved for short stay.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline wingsguy99

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 09:30:15 AM »
Ok, that is very helpful.  I've told her to also bring along and tell them that she previously had the visa for Finland earlier this year, and she returned to Russia.  She does not have an excellent job, she is a teacher, and she has no children also... but she fully intends to return to Russia once our holiday is overwith.  I hope that they will approve her, but it is up to them...

Thanks again, markje! 

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 11:01:31 AM »
Here's the government branch which deals with visa (short and long term and immigration also)

http://www.ind.nl/EN/verblijfwijzer/

the ind = immigration office.
OO===[][]===OO