Information & Chat > FSU Culinary, Restaurants & Night Life

Recipes: Breads-Desserts-Torts-Compotes-Blini-Pies-etc

(1/14) > >>

Olga:

--- Quote from: mendeleyev on October 07, 2007, 12:51:04 AM ---  That fruit compote you mentioned is delicious, huh!  Perhaps Olga or one of the ladies can give you a recipe. 

--- End quote ---

Cherry and red currant compote

400gm of cherry, 200 gm of  red currant (also you can make it without red currant)

Take the fruit stems off  from cherry and red currant
Wash cherry and red currant
Lay the cherry and red currant in glass jags layer-by-layer
fill glass jags up with the boiling sugar syrup (600 gm of sugar and 400 ml of water = 1 litre of syrup)
Cover jags with metal lids for preserving.
Pasteurize the jags at temperature 90C (194F I guess) - 0.5 litre capacity glass jag during 8 minutes and 1 litre capacity glass jag during 12 minutes.

Peach compote

Peel peaches,  divide in half and take clingstones off. Put peaches in glass jag (cut sides downward bottom of the jag). Fill glass jag up with the boiling sugar syrup  right away (syrup: 400 gm of sugar and 1 litre of water)
Cover the jag with metal lids for preserving. Sterilize the jag during 20 minutes.

bgreed:
Olga, Thanks for the recipe you are a wealth of information to this board.  Now all I have to do is to find fresh currants in season  :)

mendeleyev:
Olga, thanks for sharing this recipe on line!  Gregg, let me know where you find those berries.  I'm not sure if they have them in my state of Arizona.  But I'm going to try.

DonA:

--- Quote from: mendeleyev on November 17, 2007, 11:16:11 AM ---Olga, thanks for sharing this recipe on line!  Gregg, let me know where you find those berries .  I'm not sure if they have them in my state of Arizona.  But I'm going to try.

--- End quote ---

Mendy, we have looked all over Arizona for it. We contacted a local wholesaler and he told me they do not carry them. The only place i know to get them is in San Fransisco but they will not ship small orders. So as my Uncle Scotty used to say..we are ship-sacky ( meaning SOL  :( ). What we did bring back from SF Yulia made in to some very nice jam.

Hey any of you guys in SF wanna make a few of us guys happy and ship us some currants?   :)

DonAz

bgreed:
I wonder if you could use dried currants and get a similar result??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version