The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian Caviar  (Read 8661 times)

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
Russian Caviar
« on: January 02, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »
Caviar is one of Russia's great delicacies.  It has been mentioned in a number of threads but I don't think we have a thread devoted to caviar.  I came across a series of photos of caviar harvesting off the Kamchatka Peninsula and Sakhalin Island in Russia's Far East.

It is not easy to make red caviar. In Russia it is mostly made in Kamchatka and Sakhalin. When a fishing season begins ships come to the fishing places of the Pacific ocean, Okhotsk and Bering seas. We are going to show you how it happens in Kamchatka.

http://englishrussia.com/2014/01/01/generous-kamchatka-caviar-making/

The fishing boats bring the fish to a processing ship, where the roe is taken from the fish and processed into caviar:

ila_rendered

It looks more appetizing when it is served:

Do you enjoy red caviar?  If so, how do you prefer it to be served?

Does your taste run to Beluga, Osetra, or Sevruga caviar?

http://www.caviar-caviar.com/

Here is a seven minute video of Andrew Zimmern trying various these three types of caviar at the Grand Hotel Europe in St. Petersburg:

http://www.russiantales.se/blog/?p=1693

Offline RichyRich

• Trips: Semi-Resident
Re: Russian Caviar
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 12:39:17 PM »
On Vinnie Jones: Russia's Toughest there was an episode where he worked with the fishermen and women and he had go at the caviar side of things, it isn't the best thing to watch but wonderful when it comes to eating it :innocent:

I'm a fan of Beluga, red roe is from Salmon and cheap imitation crap in my opinion :P

Online BelleZeBoob

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 12:47:49 PM »
That cranberry smells fishy  :chuckle:
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 11:53:05 PM »
There are all sorts of fish roe.

During the spring in New England we have shad roe, it does nothing for me, others consider it a delicacy. Once had some caviar from one of the Baltic states two Russian friends thought it was the real thing.

Roe is if I have this correct is any fish eggs, caviar can only come from Sturgeon a large fresh water fish.

From what fish does the tiny orange eggs come that you find in different sushi's, gold fish?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 02:57:44 AM »

From what fish does the tiny orange eggs come that you find in different sushi's, gold fish?

I don't know specifically about the little things to which you refer, however a lot of 'caviare' or even roe is not related to fish eggs at all. The stuff is manufactured to look at taste like the real thing.

Personally I don't see the attraction of the stuff be it real or fake.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 05:08:30 AM »
The proper black stuff is lovely, here in Russian shop in Spain where I am at the moment they have it, €64 for a tiny pot..

Red stuff is vile!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 08:04:54 AM »
Anyone who pays that for fish eggs is nuts, the fish is a tenth of the price and better eating. :chuckle:
But then again, as they saying, A fool and their money is ……………………... :nod:
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 08:21:45 AM »
Roe is if I have this correct is any fish eggs, caviar can only come from Sturgeon a large fresh water fish.

Caviar is another term for the roe as I understand it, but traditionally it is from the three species of sturgeon.

The caviar used in most sushi is Tobiko and comes from flying fish. Like Andrew mentions much caviar these days is artificial (from vegetables) and most of us cannot tell the difference.

Caviar can be pasteurized and non-pasteurized. You are not allowed to bring in the non-pasteurized caviar into the US as far as I know.

Offline ashbyclarke

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 01:31:11 PM »
If you went back 70 years in the UK people would dream of having Caviar, it was a food for the rich. My grandparents ate the stuff years back, my parents don't and nor do we, it's a very acquired taste.

Move onto Russia and it seems to be the same here now, never have I seen such a selection of stinky fish eggs of various colours. I'd guess that many young generations won't follow the tradition forward, who knows.

Similar to the absolute black out with all festive fun here, put Putin on the TV just before new year and you can hear a pin drop in the street, once it's done there's a party that doesn't stop, it's like the English Queens speech of old, shocking!!!! Nobody in Russia misses the Putin speech, it's tradition and they stick too it, like Caviar!

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 02:20:47 PM »
You guys have obviously not had the proper black stuff, it doesn't smell fishy nor does it look like fish eggs, more like black cous-cous and has a very subtle taste.

The Red stuff however, yuk, red blobs of obvious fish-smelling jelly that just tastes of fish.

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 02:35:55 PM »
I have heard that Ste, but for the majority here in Russia it's only the red stuff that's for sale for the popular shopping places, I suppose you need a more up market shop for the posh stuff.

I was in Metro the other day, it consisted of Red Stinky fishy stuff, Heinz Baked beans in Chilli or Garlic flavour and plenty of Dolmio Sauce, none of which I've seen in anyones shopping basket, but plenty of those red fishy eggs.

Another wonder of Russia has to be the amount of eggs on sale, Chicken eggs, there's Isles full of them, just how many do these people eat? They buy them in 24's, not seen that since I was a child, not a box of six in sight  :o
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 12:50:13 PM »
This might help to clarify some stuff.  Quotation is from 50 Foods by Edward Behr: Chapter 12: Caviar.

"Really good caviar, the only kind worth eating, tastes fresh-only slightly salty, not fishy at all.  Each small, shiny, moist, perishable egg is covered with a frail membrane that, when the eggs are exceptionally firm and pressed with the tongue against the palate, gives a pop, or close to it."

and:

"A dealer once said to me, "The ultimate buyer has a low level of knowledge in this business".  Until a few decades ago, most caviar was Russian, taken from wild sturgeon caught as they swam up the Volga River and other tributaries of the Caspian Sea.  That caviar, once abundant and inexpensive, has retreated into folklore.  The fish were diminished by dams and pollution, and after the collapse of the Soviet Union they were poached nearly to extinction."

and:

...ironically now that wild caviar has nearly disappeared, we've entered the era of more consistently well prepared and much fresher caviar from farm fish....

and:

...caviar from the white sturgeon, A. Transmontanus, which is native to the Pacific Coast of North America.  The wild population is still relatively strong, but the caviar comes from farmed fish, and in North America it's the kind you're most likely to find.  The flavor can be complex, subtle and extremely delicious.

http://www.amazon.com/50-Foods-Essentials-Good-Taste/dp/1594204519/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395085861&sr=8-1&keywords=50+foods+by+edward+behr
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Rasputin

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 01:07:02 PM »
Do you enjoy red caviar?  If so, how do you prefer it to be served?

Yes, I do, and I really enjoy good red caviar. I eat it on a buttered slice of bread. It is an acquired taste.
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 01:12:21 PM »
I enjoy it in Blini :)
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Online AvHdB

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 07:31:17 PM »
The small mini caviar that I refereed to up thread come from flying fish - which I must admit the fish fried in butter in the morning are an excellent option to bacon on the high seas. Halo in a PM pointed this out to me about this roe from the Flying Fish.

I understand in the Baltic states caviar is farmed for there roe and it exceeds in taste  (and texture) the product from North America, but it is not anything I know allot about. . . as for Scotch and like Scotch . . . I really prefer tasting the real thing than talking or linking about it.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 01:45:57 AM »
Oh my, love the stuff!

ila_rendered

We like it on bread with butter and/or cheese.

ila_rendered

Wendy's offers blini with red caviar as shown at the bottom of this menu board:

ila_rendered

There are a number of salads incorporating caviar:

(This salad is named "pearl".)

ila_rendered

(Caviar and shrimp)

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:03 AM »
The red roe not only tastes good but also makes great bait for trout fishing.   ;D

Online AvHdB

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 11:49:15 AM »
So too my taste the black stuff tastes more salty than the red stuff what is the difference?

Not only price but quality.

Offline jwoods

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 06:23:41 AM »
I like Chum Salmon Caviar.

Mikeav8r,  :thumbsup: Blini is good with red caviar from buycaviar.eu

Offline Fashionista

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 08:55:24 AM »
I didn't have much luck with red caviar bought in Canada, whatever I have tried was pretty yucky. When in Russia I typically eat home made which is very good, but back in Canada I just refrain from buying it altogether.

Offline yankee

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 09:58:44 AM »
My wife loves all kinds, I don't.  I liked Salmon better when I used it for trout bait.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 01:38:59 PM »
This thread whetted my appetite for the black gold and I asked Wifka today if she fancied a champagne & caviar evening. Started to look online for some Beluga & the going rate is around £130 for 30g.

The good news is that her friend/work colleague is back home in Siberia and she can get the good stuff for around £60 per 100g. I've asked for 2/3 jars!  :8)

Offline Larry

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »
This thread whetted my appetite for the black gold and I asked Wifka today if she fancied a champagne & caviar evening. Started to look online for some Beluga & the going rate is around £130 for 30g.

The good news is that her friend/work colleague is back home in Siberia and she can get the good stuff for around £60 per 100g. I've asked for 2/3 jars!  :8)

A Scotsman willing to let that kind of money escape his wallet?  :o  :o  :o

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »

Stop it. You're talking me out of it!!  :snivel:

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 03:01:56 PM »

Thats funny  :chuckle: I don't care for the stuff, can think of a 100 ways to better spend that money:)
Wife likes but not nuts about it, so Lobster it is ( which I can get very fresh)

Reminds me of roe from herring, here no one eats it, the Japanese buy it most of the fish is thrown
out, few olds guys will buy it and smoke or pickle it. they buy cheap here delicacy in Japan.
they money is crazy, the waste is crazier, the bury it, the amount each year is insane.
could feed half the starving nations and the land where it is buried is useless for 100 years.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Registration