The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 160 Russian TV Channels and Loads of Movies Just €9.99 Monthly  (Read 9252 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
160 Russian TV Channels and Loads of Movies Just €9.99 Monthly
« on: December 12, 2013, 05:06:38 AM »
Came across this offer today: http://rodina.tv/ They are running a special for €9.99 per month, normal price is €8 more.

Can watch on up to three screens at once using TV, tablet/smartphone or PC monitor.
They also sell a set top box thingy so you don't need to plug a device into your tv.

I know nothing about the firm or the offer but it looks like an easy way to get lots of Russian content for not much money. They offer support in the US so don't be scared by the € sign. :)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Aloe

Re: 160 Russian TV Channels and Loads of Movies Just €9.99 Monthly
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 06:54:19 AM »
You can get loads of russian content for free  :)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:26:08 AM »
You can get loads of russian content for free  :)

I was wondering how long that would take. :)

Yes, you are correct, of course, but to many people, myself included, convenience has value and therefore a price.

This seems like a good deal for people who value convenience.

One thing about using a service such as this: one need not worry about the nastyware and ads that seem to always be part and parcel of the 'free' solutions.

That noted, Aloe, what services and sites can you recommend for a free alternative to the service above?

Offline Aloe

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 08:19:47 AM »
rutracker
it's forum-styled, few ads
Also pretty strictly moderated. If you don't make your submission descriptive and described specifically by the rules, they'll just delete it.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 09:58:03 AM »
rutracker
Also pretty strictly moderated. If you don't make your submission descriptive and described specifically by the rules, they'll just delete it.

See THAT'S the problem with free. Look at the work you have to do to watch a TV show, and you can't even watch it on a schedule or expected time because you have to download it. And what if the seeder goes away and there's nobody else. What if nobody uploads what you want to see or the exact episode you missed?

I use torrents to get loads of TV shows and some movies but give me a convenient, sensibly priced and convenient option and Bitorrent is dead to me. Same with music. I joined Allofmp3.com years ago and stopped using any other service or illegal download. Now I use Spotify. All the free music in the world and I pay for it - for convenience.

My TV provider has just gone over to a new system for delivering TV. Now I can, included in my monthly subscription that has just gone down in price, :) watch movies streamed from their servers whenever I want. My torrenting of movies is decreasing.

€9.99 for instant-on convenience seems a bargain!

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »
My wife watches most of her programs and movies on Vk.com. I agree that for 10 Euros a month it is hard a hard deal to beat though. It may be a good way for me to improve my Russian actually...

Offline Aloe

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »
rutracker

See THAT'S the problem with free. Look at the work you have to do to watch a TV show, and you can't even watch it on a schedule or expected time because you have to download it. And what if the seeder goes away and there's nobody else. What if nobody uploads what you want to see or the exact episode you missed?

I use torrents to get loads of TV shows and some movies but give me a convenient, sensibly priced and convenient option and Bitorrent is dead to me. Same with music. I joined Allofmp3.com years ago and stopped using any other service or illegal download. Now I use Spotify. All the free music in the world and I pay for it - for convenience.

My TV provider has just gone over to a new system for delivering TV. Now I can, included in my monthly subscription that has just gone down in price, :) watch movies streamed from their servers whenever I want. My torrenting of movies is decreasing.

€9.99 for instant-on convenience seems a bargain!
sheesh im not beatin on your option, just putting other options out there. The purpose, after all, is to help people have access to a variety of options, so they have a choice

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 01:31:06 PM »
found edem.tv

legal iptv just doesnt get cheaper then $1/month for 2 devices.

epg possible but requires some tech knowledge.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 02:13:43 PM »
For the technically inept among us Mark, how does that work?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 02:24:29 PM »
For the technically inept among us Mark, how does that work?

buy a raspberry pi with kodi pre installed. ($50) download playlist you pay for from edem.tv

upload playlist to kodi.

setup is done. works for 6 months or so and then a power off power on is enough to continue watching.

the newest pi can stream 4k so its future proof.

sometimes hackers will find your playlist (happened to me 1ce in 3 years). simply generate a new key and redo tbe download upload part
OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 02:26:04 PM »
btw. some televisions (newer samsung) support iptv out of the box. then you can skip the buying of raspberry.pi
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 02:29:13 PM »
So buying one of these means I can then have these channels through the TV?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 02:35:45 PM »
So buying one of these means I can then have these channels through the TV?

yes. but this appears to be only the outside box and not all of it.

you need:
raspberry pi 3 or better
casing
mmc card with kodi pre installed.

sossolutions.nl sells it as a packaged deal 'iptv box' for about $50

i will make a better link when i have more than my mobile
OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 02:41:26 PM »
https://www.sossolutions.nl/kodi-tv-box-met-raspberry-pi-3b-plus-turbo-uitvoering

this is the super duper complete package. more than edem.tv needs but you can see how its chosen. i do recommend spending $1 extra for the 2.5a power supply
OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »
also if you connect the kodi through a hdmi port your normal tv remote will work for kodi

and if kodi and your mobile connect on the same wifi you can use an app on the mobile too. i only tried android/samsung. works fine if my son hid the remote again
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 02:56:19 PM »
I bought a thing called the Nvidia Shield to feed my TV and Hi-Fi.

It runs Kodi and is very powerful. It runs Android and is so user-friendly it runs over to cuddle you when you come home.

I know that you ain't no audiophile, but it is about the best of the boxes when it comes to the audio formats it supports through your home theatre. For the ankle biters, it runs a huge number of the latest PC games, many for free, making a handy substitute to an XBox or even PC.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NVIDIA-SHIELD-TV-with-Remote/dp/B075TBK232/ref=sr_1_3?crid=UDAOONY0NLQ5&keywords=nvidia+shield+tv&qid=1565297593&s=gateway&sprefix=nvidea%2Caps%2C224&sr=8-3

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 01:56:19 AM »
Andrewfi, the 'expert' techine..

Markje..

Have you got any Raspberry PI 4B's doing stuff Andrewfi's 'powerful' gadget, better, too ? ....

Hint: the latest Raspberry PI 4's processor is more powwerful and suited to high end video processing .. if you can buy one - as they keeep getting sold out ..

I'm not into Gaming - I want my TV setup to be powerful .not laggy . and I don't want/ need  KODI to send my SKY Q TV feeds to  ( say ) Georgia or the parts of the Med where SKY dishes do not work ..  SC can control her RU TV set top box at home and view anywhere in the world

All legal and no dodgy piracy involved
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 07:41:49 AM »
Moby, it is rare that there is any single, objective, definition of 'best'. The implied question is 'best for me based upon the criteria supplied'.

For example, you might think that your sunflower seed connoisseur is the best woman for you. She certainly would not be the best for most people. You set your criteria based upon your needs and preferences (and your own capabilities) and made a choice. A multitude of other people would make a different choice based on their criteria.

The same applies here. So, you might say that the computing power of your Rasberry Pi exceeds that of the Nvidia Shield and, in some aspects that might be true. However, that is not even close to being a complete assessment of the comparative merits of the two. Nor does it match the criteria of the person asking the question.

At the very least, the amount of work that needs to go into making a toy computer do what you want it to do is much greater. If I had considered a Rasberey Pi as a good solution given the criteria, both known and implied, then I would have suggested it. I used knowledge and empathy to make a working suggestion that, coincidentally, is a solution I chose and use.

Try thinking before bashing the keyboard. If there is something that you don't understand then ask questions. Most of us are very patient, even with you.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 07:51:54 AM »
Andrewfi speak for:

Moby has demonstrated andrewfi bought an old model - it's just about to re replaced and it is nowhere NEAR being the optimal device to get RU or any other non- UK based TV..

TV operators have rights to show their content in certain countries.. So, if they claim RU content in the UK / Spain - it's likely a pirate product..

One either receives RU TV via satellite - using a RU subsciption - based on a RU address or one 'places shifts' content being delivered from your receiver in that licenced nation ..

Andrewfi is a pirate ...

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 04:08:08 AM »
Yeah but surely why would you want a Russian TV Channel if you don't speak Russian or you're not living in Russia?

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 04:15:04 AM »
I have always had Russian TV more for guests than for myself, but I can envisage using Russian TV to help with gaining fluency in the language. I found that watching with others helped me a little and earlier, when learning French, access to movies in French was a big help with that.

By the way, to others, not in Russia or the near abroad, how to Netflix and Amazon Prime do in terms of either Russian language content or Russian subtitled English language content?
In Estonia and the like, Netflix has quite a lot of subtitles in Russian, even in Spain, there seems quite a bit, although less. I have not checked in the UK - not had much spare time for watching movies and the like.

--------------------------
Why are you inventing stuff again moby?

In normal English: why are you lying again moby?

The new Shield, when it comes out, will be more powerful than the version I have; the current version, that I bought a long time ago. I doubt that it will be worth upgrading to the new one.

The Nvidia Shield has many functions. That you think it is primarily a tool for content piracy tells us much more about you than it, inaccurately tells us about the product.

moby, try truth and honesty. That's how we gain respect from our peers, not by making stuff up.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 04:36:00 AM »
Moby has demonstrated andrewfi bought an old model.....

Moby demonstrated that he's likely to be on the spectrum.

I have a feeling that you're either very stupid, mentally unhinged or unable to process what you read. Potentially all 3.

If you were trying to demonstrate that Andrew bought an old model, why not discuss the thread like a normal adult. Try speaking to someone normally. That you feel the need to attack, argue and behave as you do, only means that yet another thread is polluted by you trying to make it all about Moby.

And you wonder why at 60 years +, you're on pre authorisation like an autistic child and have your very own thread where rubbish gets laundered.

:'( 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 04:45:43 AM »
Rosco, very well put.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 07:42:02 AM »
I have always had Russian TV more for guests than for myself, but I can envisage using Russian TV to help with gaining fluency in the language. I found that watching with others helped me a little and earlier, when learning French, access to movies in French was a big help with that.

By the way, to others, not in Russia or the near abroad, how to Netflix and Amazon Prime do in terms of either Russian language content or Russian subtitled English language content?
In Estonia and the like, Netflix has quite a lot of subtitles in Russian, even in Spain, there seems quite a bit, although less. I have not checked in the UK - not had much spare time for watching movies and the like.

--------------------------
Why are you inventing stuff again moby?

In normal English: why are you lying again moby?

The new Shield, when it comes out, will be more powerful than the version I have; the current version, that I bought a long time ago. I doubt that it will be worth upgrading to the new one.

The Nvidia Shield has many functions. That you think it is primarily a tool for content piracy tells us much more about you than it, inaccurately tells us about the product.

moby, try truth and honesty. That's how we gain respect from our peers, not by making stuff up.

Netflix is a waste of time in Russia , there are a few Russian series that is all as for other programs Im not really sure as I have never used Netflix in another country..

Personally I think Netflix is a total scam and waste of time.. they churn out crappy series about absolutely anything and any subject .. looks like they are taking Hollywood over offering near unemployed actors a chance to make a come back with them..

Some of the series they make are absolutely useless and often I will try one and think "Do have to be actually brain dead to find this interesting"  It is just garbage about nothing more..
How anyone can sit and watch some of these series for weeks on end really is beyond me.. life must be boring!

An example "Orange is the new black" Hell what a pile of shit and to sit watching this trash.. I watched the first series and it was getting close to the women escaping from the prison every bloody week.. in the end I was just thinking "For **** sake just escape" Finally in the last week they did! God I was glad! But can you believe it they continued it even after that for several new series , absolutely crazy!

The only other series I have been watching is the "Handmaidens tale " glad that is coming to an end. I prefer just a straight forward mini series 10 episodes and finished job done!

Netflix also have a habit of changing the images of series / movies so you can log in another day and think " Hey a load of new stuff"  :laugh: Then realize they just did a fast make over on the pages..

Yes Netflix really is a pile of shit. I will usually subscribe for 1 month in 4 its the only way to see new content and there is not much then!

Just before my subscription expires I cancel the monthly payment..

Funny thing is then I'm bombed with messages "Your payment never went though please log in and fix"

Im sat their thinking "No mate nothing wrong with the payment I cancelled it you *snip*! I don't want to watch repeats and Korean or Indian movies"  :chuckle:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 08:19:38 AM »
I confess, I have a different opinion of Netflix. I don't watch broadcast TV at all these days. I also don't use Netflix a whole heap either at the moment.

Many of the series, including the ones you mention are not made by Netflix but licensed from other companies. But for sure, just as with any kind of library, most of the content is not to my taste, but I have favourites that I enjoy. I also like that I have content on tap wherever I am in the world without needing to carry content with me.

There have been some Russian series that I enjoyed. Locusts was a standout and there's one about a spoiled son of a rich bloke in Moscow who becomes a cop that I found very enjoyable but I have only watched most of the first series as yet. What is handy is that one can watch a lot of Netflix content with a Russian (or Spanish) companion and share the same movie or show even though we are not fluent in each other's language. A while back I created a special playlist of all the content with either Russian audio or subtitles so that it was easy to find and choose stuff to share.

Registration