The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 160 Russian TV Channels and Loads of Movies Just €9.99 Monthly  (Read 2443 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
160 Russian TV Channels and Loads of Movies Just €9.99 Monthly
« on: December 12, 2013, 05:06:38 AM »
Came across this offer today: http://rodina.tv/ They are running a special for €9.99 per month, normal price is €8 more.

Can watch on up to three screens at once using TV, tablet/smartphone or PC monitor.
They also sell a set top box thingy so you don't need to plug a device into your tv.

I know nothing about the firm or the offer but it looks like an easy way to get lots of Russian content for not much money. They offer support in the US so don't be scared by the € sign. :)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Aloe

Re: 160 Russian TV Channels and Loads of Movies Just €9.99 Monthly
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 06:54:19 AM »
You can get loads of russian content for free  :)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:26:08 AM »
You can get loads of russian content for free  :)

I was wondering how long that would take. :)

Yes, you are correct, of course, but to many people, myself included, convenience has value and therefore a price.

This seems like a good deal for people who value convenience.

One thing about using a service such as this: one need not worry about the nastyware and ads that seem to always be part and parcel of the 'free' solutions.

That noted, Aloe, what services and sites can you recommend for a free alternative to the service above?

Offline Aloe

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 08:19:47 AM »
rutracker
it's forum-styled, few ads
Also pretty strictly moderated. If you don't make your submission descriptive and described specifically by the rules, they'll just delete it.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 09:58:03 AM »
rutracker
Also pretty strictly moderated. If you don't make your submission descriptive and described specifically by the rules, they'll just delete it.

See THAT'S the problem with free. Look at the work you have to do to watch a TV show, and you can't even watch it on a schedule or expected time because you have to download it. And what if the seeder goes away and there's nobody else. What if nobody uploads what you want to see or the exact episode you missed?

I use torrents to get loads of TV shows and some movies but give me a convenient, sensibly priced and convenient option and Bitorrent is dead to me. Same with music. I joined Allofmp3.com years ago and stopped using any other service or illegal download. Now I use Spotify. All the free music in the world and I pay for it - for convenience.

My TV provider has just gone over to a new system for delivering TV. Now I can, included in my monthly subscription that has just gone down in price, :) watch movies streamed from their servers whenever I want. My torrenting of movies is decreasing.

€9.99 for instant-on convenience seems a bargain!

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »
My wife watches most of her programs and movies on Vk.com. I agree that for 10 Euros a month it is hard a hard deal to beat though. It may be a good way for me to improve my Russian actually...

Offline Aloe

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »
rutracker

See THAT'S the problem with free. Look at the work you have to do to watch a TV show, and you can't even watch it on a schedule or expected time because you have to download it. And what if the seeder goes away and there's nobody else. What if nobody uploads what you want to see or the exact episode you missed?

I use torrents to get loads of TV shows and some movies but give me a convenient, sensibly priced and convenient option and Bitorrent is dead to me. Same with music. I joined Allofmp3.com years ago and stopped using any other service or illegal download. Now I use Spotify. All the free music in the world and I pay for it - for convenience.

My TV provider has just gone over to a new system for delivering TV. Now I can, included in my monthly subscription that has just gone down in price, :) watch movies streamed from their servers whenever I want. My torrenting of movies is decreasing.

€9.99 for instant-on convenience seems a bargain!
sheesh im not beatin on your option, just putting other options out there. The purpose, after all, is to help people have access to a variety of options, so they have a choice