The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Looking for love abroad? The Discovery Network wants you!  (Read 3215 times)

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Looking for love abroad? The Discovery Network wants you!
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »
I was under the impression that most films (at least here in the US) pay for everything when it comes to the chance to film something like this these days.

Offline NS1

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2013, 01:30:51 PM »
As I stated before, if it's part of a product being created as a money making venture, payment is very proper.

I agree.

How would a programme get proper people for free?

If we trail down to London (which is usually where this stuff is) it means we spend our time and lose money. Minimum would be one night in a hotel, and I don't want a fleabitten B&B - I want an experience in a 5* with expenses paid. London is 200+ miles from us, so 400 miles at 25mpg means £80+ in fuel. Wifey wants hair and make up people, so she looks OK on the telly.

When in London, we want to eat out, and that isn't cheap there. Cabs will be needed each way. So there is £250.

We then add in lost salaries and inconvenience, childminders, etc.......

Then some incentive for being on the show. Which will be aired again and again and again on every budget channel for the next decade.  (:)  Couple of grand each at least.........

Its easy to see that the bill will be at least £5000-£6000 to ship a couple in from the north, pay their bills and make it all cozy.

But then I asked for editorial approval of what they showed. I wont have us edited to make us look like muppets to suit an agenda, because if they keep it real, we could make a decent fist of normalising the "industry".

Some bloke on the dole writing a daft bint in Odessa? He'll do it for £100 beer money and his fifteen minutes of fame. So who do they choose? They can cut and edit him however they like. Why they end up with Dave from Waterfoot and not normal people here.

The more they pay the less they make. So logic dictates they pay next to nothing. Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

Seems reasonable to most. But you are right, they will likely go with monkeys.
makes better TV, have you ever seen a normal couple on one of these shows?
I agree there are many misfits and to show a couple is ok. But show both ends of the
spectrum and that cost a bit more.
“You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”
Malcom X

Offline ashbyclarke

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »
Not read the thread since my last post, and don't intent on.

Thing is it's another small shot production firm who can see $$$$$$$, they've no idea how to create said show, but know it will generate $$$$$$$$$ if the broadcasters will entertain it.

If you know how TV works then anyone is in with a shot getting a slot on the old box!!! Thing is it's $100k maximum for a 30 minute off peak show, so it needs generate shock value to move to a more prime time venue, and that my friends is exactly what these boys are after.

Add too that little in way of communication, I can't believe anyone is giving them any airspace, nothing good will come of it.

Want a decent production firm, I know a couple, they'd do same for nothing and be honest with reporting, would it make prime TV? I very much doubt it.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Manny

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2013, 03:25:13 PM »
Andrew, as an example:

I am making a telly show. I want a bloke who knows all about the MOB industry. A bloke who isn't camera shy. A bloke who can articulate well. I might want you......

But if I want to ship you in to London from Estonia, I'll have to cough for a nice hotel, some eats, a plane, some expenses. Further, I am taking you away from your harem and whatever you do each day to earn a crust. So I have to cover that too. But then I have to motivate you to spend your time in this way knowing you will be on Bravo*** and Dave*** for the 29th time in 2019.

Will you do that for free? I bet not. Forget the altruistic tenets of journalism, the ethics of payment and all that for a moment, just consider your time if I was some unknown bloke from a TV company. Will you do that for free? Doubtful eh?

Similarly, if these folks coughed up some readies, they would have the definitive show on the subject. But guess what? It would be boring as hell, because you might as well call it "Some regular blokes who met some nice women and lived happy ever after". Special guest stars "Manny and his agreeable wife and sprogg", Chris and his agreeable wife and sprogg", "Sparky and his agreeable wife" and "Rosco and his agreeable wife".

They would fall asleep at the screen.

What no scamming? No 19 year old brides? No sweaty, panting, fat blokes with dodgy toupees and even dodgier stains on the front of their trousers? Just blokes who married agreeable women, some of whom have kids, who live um........ normal lives? Stop press: kid goes to school on Tuesday. Stop press: bloke takes his wife to a restaurant. Stop press: wife goes to Tescos*. Watching a Russian bird buy baked beans and lettuce in Aldi* and climbing back into her Audi isn't really the same as dodgy old geezer with a roll-up importing too-young Svetlana - who speaks no English - to make his two up-two down, woodchip-clad hovel a cozy home on a pension from the Pru**.

The latter is television. The former clearly isn't. The latter is free. The former clearly isn't. If I am going to be on Dave*** for twenty years, I want a few quid out of it.

* Americans can substitute Tescos and Aldi for Wal-Mart or Target for context.
** Well known insurance company famous for good pensions.
*** "Dave" and "Bravo" are TV channels that famously run old shows again and again and again and again..........Ad infinitum

Offline Manny

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »
Not read the thread since my last post, and don't intent on.

Thing is it's another small shot production firm who can see $$$$$$$, they've no idea how to create said show, but know it will generate $$$$$$$$$ if the broadcasters will entertain it.

If you know how TV works then anyone is in with a shot getting a slot on the old box!!! Thing is it's $100k maximum for a 30 minute off peak show, so it needs generate shock value to move to a more prime time venue, and that my friends is exactly what these boys are after.

Add too that little in way of communication, I can't believe anyone is giving them any airspace, nothing good will come of it.

Want a decent production firm, I know a couple, they'd do same for nothing and be honest with reporting, would it make prime TV? I very much doubt it.

What he said.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2013, 05:54:52 PM »
Andrew, as an example:

Similarly, if these folks coughed up some readies, they would have the definitive show on the subject. But guess what? It would be boring as hell, because you might as well call it "Some regular blokes who met some nice women and lived happy ever after". Special guest stars "Manny and his agreeable wife and sprogg", Chris and his agreeable wife and sprogg", "Sparky and his agreeable wife" and "Rosco and his agreeable wife".

They would fall asleep at the screen.

That's one reason, the second reason if they showed regular guys happily married
to thin FSUW women, without any harm or danger or evil taking place the feminists
would all have kittens. They would scream to the high heavens. Millions might see
the show.

Men are forbidden to marry non feminist sexy Russian women. They must marry
fat feminists, with lesbian hair cuts and be happy with them. If the average
British male got it into his head that he could marry a sexy Russian woman and
not risk having his organs harvested then what would happen to the saggy arsed
feminist English Girls?

The feminists can't allow a show giving British men an alternative even if it's
boring to see the light of day. The editor / producers would never air it.

The formula is set in stone.
All the men are losers or women beaters or both
All the women are scammers or desparate or both

All British men considering something like this will be scammed so
take your eyes off those Russian girls and be freaking happy ! 

Offline lonedrake

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2013, 09:47:12 PM »
My previous post was a quote from a documentarian. I forgot to add the quote function. Anyways.....opinions and tactics vary among producers,filmmakers,documentarians etc. 

In an area such as foreign dating/marriage it would only seem proper that some money changed hands.

I would have no incentive to do so otherwise. Why be humiliated for free on TV?

If I had something to sell and I thought it would be beneficial then I would consider it.....but otherwise not so much.  IMO...those that would do this free free I would consider "fame whores" and would do anything to be famous.

Offline HeartInTheEast

• Spouses Country: Ukraine & Vietnam.
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2014, 06:19:56 PM »
I have never read or seen on tv anything in main stream media that put a favorable light on this. Most seem to find the creepiest guys they can and focus on them. It would be refreshing to see a documentary that actually showed some nice couples who met this way and maybe interview a couple who have been happily married.

I recently watched a good one that was very positive. I wish I could do a documentary but I live in Australia.

I tried looking for it but the youtube account got closed, this is the episode though: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/galleries/episode-e-mail-order-bride/
http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/email-order-bride-national