The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Looking for love abroad? The Discovery Network wants you!  (Read 13875 times)

Offline knickerbockerglory1

Looking for love abroad? The Discovery Network wants you!
« on: November 21, 2013, 08:03:27 AM »
Men from the UK wanted for an exciting new documentary!

Are you looking for love abroad and currently using international dating and introduction services to help with your search?

Maybe you're planning to take a romance tour to Russia or Eastern Europe between December 2013 and January 2014?

Perhaps you've met 'the one' and are now in the process of arranging your first trip to see her?

Or if you've already met, maybe you're hoping to marry and bring her home to the UK.

As part of a one-off documentary for the Discovery Network, Knickerbockerglory - an independent television production company -  want to follow British men on their search for love abroad.

We'd like to provide a genuine and faithful insight into the ups and downs of cross cultural dating and the international agencies that broker these marriages.

Please contact enquiries@knickerbockerglory.tv or call 020 8740 6300 for more information.

Alternatively, if anyone has any questions, please ask as part of this thread and we will endeavour to answer them.

Thank you

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Looking for love abroad? The Discovery Network wants you!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:48:02 AM »
What is your expectation in respect of the storylines that you will be showing?

What is the editorial viewpoint?

Which TV programs, books or other media have you referenced in the planning for the project?

Welcome, I hope that positive expectations are confirmed and negative ones confounded.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »
I have been chatting with these folks recently and suggested that the best way for them to get any participants from here is to engage with folk and answer questions. Hence the topic.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Haventhrow

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 09:01:30 AM »
I have never read or seen on tv anything in main stream media that put a favorable light on this. Most seem to find the creepiest guys they can and focus on them. It would be refreshing to see a documentary that actually showed some nice couples who met this way and maybe interview a couple who have been happily married.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 02:47:14 PM »
I have never read or seen on tv anything in main stream media that put a favorable light on this. Most seem to find the creepiest guys they can and focus on them. It would be refreshing to see a documentary that actually showed some nice couples who met this way and maybe interview a couple who have been happily married.

There are some creepy guys in this ....

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 03:36:14 PM »

This is what they tell me they intend to do.

I have given them a nudge to tend their topic and reply questions. So if anyone has any, ask away.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 03:13:35 AM »
Hello

Is there anyone here who, having met their partner through a international dating agency or introduction service, is planning on popping the question or getting married between December 2013 and February 2014?

We would relish the opportunity to capture such an event as part of our documentary and would be happy to negotiate access so please get in touch!

Thank you

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »
Hello

Is there anyone here who, having met their partner through a international dating agency or introduction service, is planning on popping the question or getting married between December 2013 and February 2014?

We would relish the opportunity to capture such an event as part of our documentary and would be happy to negotiate access so please get in touch!

Thank you

You are missing the point here and not answering questions put to you above.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:19:15 AM »
What is your expectation in respect of the storylines that you will be showing? We will be covering a range of stories - successful as well as those that haven't been so successful.

What is the editorial viewpoint?

The 'editorial viewpoint', so to speak, is to demonstrate that marriages brokered through international dating and introduction services actually work and that the men seeking such marriages do not conform to negative and ill-informed social stereotypes.

Which TV programs, books or other media have you referenced in the planning for the project?

Welcome, I hope that positive expectations are confirmed and negative ones confounded.

This is genuinely what we we intend to do. One of the ways we hope to achieve this is by showcasing a proposal and/or a wedding.

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 05:22:46 AM »

We understand this and agree, hence any help that can be offered by anyone using this forum would be hugely appreciated. As already mentioned, we're particularly interested in gaining access to a proposal or better still, a wedding! We already some great stories that we are hoping to feature of couples who met in this way and that are happily married.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 05:40:27 AM »
SO, what references have you consulted in your planning? What informs your editorial viewpoint?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 04:39:16 AM »
By the way, for waht it is worth and with no responsibiity accepted on my part, having spoken with the OP they seem to be 'proper people' and not making a cliche 'look at the spazz with the gold digging tart' voyeur piece.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 08:51:12 AM »

We understand this and agree, hence any help that can be offered by anyone using this forum would be hugely appreciated. As already mentioned, we're particularly interested in gaining access to a proposal or better still, a wedding! We already some great stories that we are hoping to feature of couples who met in this way and that are happily married.

Jerry Springer get's his participants to believe they are getting a makeover.

Really? you are going to risk the wrath of British feminists? That there might
be a better option for men than pursuing British women? That normal men can
find happiness elsewhere?

I don't believe you. If you really put together a piece with happy Normal British
men with beautiful Russian women, your editors would never air it.

Here is the formula that you must follow or it won't get on the air.

1. The women are desperate or scammers (preferably both)
2. The men are losers or misogynists (preferably both)
3. You find the oldest, ugliest man who is with the youngest girl.   
4. Find a case where the girl took all the mans money
5. Find a case where the man beat the girl
6. Cryptically insinuate that there is possible human trafficking involved.

Interview Andrew, he will tell you that the girls sell themselves for a better
lifestyle and other obnoxious theories that you will love. He is perfect for your story.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Manny

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 10:40:21 AM »
By the way, for waht it is worth and with no responsibiity accepted on my part, having spoken with the OP they seem to be 'proper people' and not making a cliche 'look at the spazz with the gold digging tart' voyeur piece.

I spoke to them too, as I gather did Sparky. I got the same impression. Although I think they are trying to nail the programme together too fast and at the wrong time of year. But I guess that is the nature of television in that there is only a given timeframe to find participants and in depth research over months isn't possible unless its on a big budget. Which this isnt.

Wifey and I were asked to be involved in the programme, but I think my list of terms, conditions and fees put them off us - without any hard feelings I may add. I am still happy to help them out if I can via RUA for example.

For anyone that fancies being on the telly though, I'd be surprised if this lot churned out the usual stuff we see. It may be worth a shot.

Offline Bruce Lee

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 11:02:10 AM »
Can't see how following a bloke (who's not a pensioner, ugly, social awkward or potential serial killer material etc) around Ukraine with an equally matched lady (who's not old enough to be his grand daughter, a gold digger/pro dater etc) is going to make for the kind of TV expected in the West.

Judging by what we've seen in the past I can't see there being a huge queue of takers!
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »
Bill, setting aside, for a moment, your guesses about what I might, or might not, say in any given situation.

Can you tell us just why it is obnoxious for a WOMAN to want to improve her life conditions?

Can we reliably infer that any woman who is unfortunate enough to fall into your clutches will be kept in conditions that are degrading and unpleasant in order to satisfy your ideas about women and their 'place' in society?

There is a reason why there are cliches and stereotypes about the kind of men who have to seek foreign wives, all cliches and stereotypes are based upon reality, upon real examples. You seem bent on demonstrating the veracity of at least one of them. Well done that man!

What other OBNOXIOUS ideas might I have? That women are equal to men? That violence against women is wrong? Maybe it is that I believe in giving respect to people regardless of race or gender but based only upon their demonstrated ideas and actions?
Any 'OBNOXIOUS theories' that I missed Bill?

Offline lonedrake

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »

How much are you paying?  Thats the first thing I would need to know.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »

How much are you paying?  Thats the first thing I would need to know.

Whats it worth to be humiliated on TV :chuckle:
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Boris

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 02:37:39 PM »

There are some creepy guys in this ....

I nominate this as quote of the week....in the irony section....

Offline lonedrake

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »
Whats it worth to be humiliated on TV

I am cheap. I would do it for 2,000.00.  But....I am sure this is almost exactly 2,000.00 more than they are willing to pay.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 02:02:35 AM »

I am cheap. I would do it for 2,000.00.  But....I am sure this is almost exactly 2,000.00 more than they are willing to pay.

Yep you re right, you are far too cheap!
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 02:24:40 AM »

That's what I had in mind, £2k each, travel expenses, 5* hotel in the smoke for a day or two, the full hair and make up job [more for her than me], bit of book/forum plugging, etc. Then at the end, approval of material they used in order that one is not edited into a dork.

Then there is the prospect to consider of being on Dave and Bravo [rerun TV channels for the non Brits] for the next decade or so.

I made the point that many of the normal folk will not work for free, so irrespective of intention, they will end up with Dave from Waterfoot. Or Kevin and his bag of sweets (characters from previous programmes).

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 03:06:46 AM »
If you are expecting to get paid then of course you can't expect to have any kind of control over the use or direction of any content produced, you'd just be bad actors playing some kind of make believe.

If you have a genuine interest in changing how people perceive you and your activities then expecting to get paid as a performer is hardly a good demonstration of that. Letting people see just how 'normal' you are is a good demonstration of your genuine intent.

Offline Manny

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 04:01:17 AM »
So you think people should take time out of their lives for free? Lose wages? Work for free? Cover their own expenses?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 05:05:20 AM »
Yes, if the only things we do are the things we get paid money for then we end up with sad and dreary lives.

While it may make sense to be reimbursed for out of pocket expenses to expect to get paid for communicating your beliefs is not a thing to get paid for. If these guys want actors then there are better, cheaper  options than anyone here.

In addition there is the perspective that if one is paid then it is very hard to argue that the resultant program is free of forced bias. After all, when paid there is a clear incentive to provide that which the paymaster wants or is thought to want. How could you claim afterward that you as a paid participant were truly independent or clear of bias.

Apart from the genuine difficulties of finding credible participants demands for payment ensure that only those those whose cases are extreme and where the participants are more than normally exhibitionistic are seen.