The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Poll

What do you think of her appearance?

She is beautiful; I can understand why she won Miss Russia
12 (52.2%)
She's goodlooking but not beautiful; I'm surprised she won Miss Russia
10 (43.5%)
She's not even goodlooking
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: November 21, 2013, 02:49:52 PM

Author Topic: Some unhappy that Miss Russia is half Tatar  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
Some unhappy that Miss Russia is half Tatar
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:52:10 PM »
The 2013 Miss Universe pageant was held in Moscow last week.  A few people suggested that I write a thread about it.  I looked at a few articles about the pageant but none of the FSU contestants placed very high.  :o :(  I'm passing along this article discussing some unhappiness about Miss Russia who competed in the Miss Universe pageant.  She is half Tatar.  I seem to recall Irina Shayk is also half Tatar and she is the most beautiful girl on earth.

'A Gypsy Woman Cannot Be the Face of Russia'

Revealing deep rifts in Russian society, online detractors target the new Miss Russia, an ethnic Tatar, for her exotic looks.

Officially Russia prides itself on being a diverse, multicultural country.

So it seemed appropriate when 18-year-old Elmira Abdrazakova -- the daughter of a Russian mother and a Tatar father from frigid Kemerovo Oblast -- was crowned Miss Russia 2013 on March 2.

But the online reaction was enough to wipe the smile off Abdrazakova's face. Within hours of her victory, an avalanche of thousands of hate messages filled with ethnic slurs came in from people espousing Russian nationalist views, forcing Abdrazakova to shut down her social-media pages.

One person wrote that there should be a law barring "Tatar women and also highland and lowland ethnic Shors" from participating in beauty contests.

Another wrote that "a gypsy woman cannot be the face of Russia."

The reaction prompted Abdrazakova to shut down her page on the popular social-networking site Vkontakte.ru "in order to avoid further provocations," as she told the Russian News Service. She said that the comments were motivated by "racism or some kind of nationalism" but added that people in the public spotlight have to expect negative reactions.

She said she expects to put her page back up in the near future.

The reaction against Abdrazakova's victory comes at a time of rising nationalist sentiment in Russia. Nationalist Cossacks recently began patrolling Moscow streets. They have also pledged to guard Orthodox churches after the performance-art group Pussy Riot offended many believers by performing part of an anti-Putin punk song in Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral.

For winning Miss Russia, Abdrazakova received $100,000 and a scholarship. She will represent Russia in the Miss World and Miss Universe competitions.

Kemerovo Oblast Governor Aman Tuleyev on March 5 presented Abdrazakova with a local medal and the keys to a one-room apartment. He also gave Abdrazakova's mother a medal for "Maternal Valor" and a 50,000 ruble ($1,630) prize.

The second runner-up in the Miss Russia 2013 pageant, Irina Tumanova from the Republic of Kalmykia, has not reported any similar experience.

In 2004, a Tatar named Diana Zaripova won the Miss Russia contest and there did not appear to be any particularly negative reaction.

However, last month a Tatar woman, 21-year-old Dina Garipova, was selected to represent Russia at the Eurovision-2013 competition in Sweden. Although she was not the victim of any outpouring of the kind that Abdrazakova has received, Internet commentators wrote that she doesn't have "the nerve, the mentality, or the appearance" to be a star.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/03/a-gypsy-woman-cannot-be-the-face-of-russia/273762/

This thread is not complete with a photo.  Someone sent me a link to a good photo of Miss Russia, but I cannot find it now.  Here is one I pulled up:

I think several other FSUW competed in this pageant, Miss Kazakhstan and FSUW from the Baltic republics at least.  Feel free to post photos of them if you like.

Offline bigdaddy71978

• Spouses Country: Unknown yet
  • Trips: None Yet
Re: Some unhappy that Miss Russia is half Tatar
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:01:25 PM »
She's beautiful enough (but way too young) to be Mrs. Bigdaddy.  Its truly sad when things like this happen.

Offline Barbossa

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 02:11:04 PM »
Was there a "Miss Armenia"?  Just wonderin.

Offline Net_Lenka

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 02:20:42 PM »
Now on other russian sites as far as i recall  not pleasant comments were mostly  about her need to pay a visit to orthodontist but not about her nationality Also there was a lot of #guesses# how anybody with such jawbone could win " the competition" in Russia This girl allowed to involve herself in rather durty business -- so why to cry about comments in internet
- А Вы кто такой будете?
-Тьфу на Вас
-А фамилия Ваша как?  -Тьфу на Вас еще раз .. а фамилия моя слишком известная, чтобы я её называл

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
A large percentage of Russians have some Tatar blood in them, so I don't think this would be a big deal to the majority of the FSUans. But there are always "Arians" who think themselves blue blood...

Offline Larry

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »
Now on other russian sites as far as i recall  not pleasant comments were mostly  about her need to pay a visit to orthodontist but not about her nationality Also there was a lot of #guesses# how anybody with such jawbone could win " the competition" in Russia This girl allowed to involve herself in rather durty business -- so why to cry about comments in internet

What dirty business was that?

Do a lot of people think her jawline is unattractive?

Was there a "Miss Armenia"?  Just wonderin.

Are there any good-looking girls from Armenia? :chuckle:

Offline Larry

Is Miss Russia beautiful? - Poll added
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 02:53:51 PM »
In the chatroom there is a discussion of whether Miss Russia is attractive.  I'm curious as to people's thoughts about this, so I added a poll (one of the joys of posting on a forum that isn't governed by some pissant).  I also added another photo someone sent me.

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Offline Net_Lenka

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 02:58:42 PM »
Dirty business is that where the victory  just has it's price in  :money: going from wallet of some "dady" The girl may be pretty enough but far from "standart" with her protruding teeth So question how she could win at all in Russia dose pop up
- А Вы кто такой будете?
-Тьфу на Вас
-А фамилия Ваша как?  -Тьфу на Вас еще раз .. а фамилия моя слишком известная, чтобы я её называл

Registration