The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Translator costs  (Read 3881 times)

Offline JL

• Trips: Semi-Resident
Translator costs
« on: September 29, 2013, 01:45:24 AM »
I'm curious what people have paid for a translator?  One who hangs out with you maybe all day or goes with you on an excursion if you meet a girl who does not speak English and you need a translator to get to know her.

Thanks,
Jim

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Translator costs
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 02:23:29 AM »
It depends.

But think a range from just under $10.= to just over $ 20.=

Because you are going to be the entire day with said translator and it will (I assume it will be relationship translation) it will be at the lower end of the scale. Somewhere between $12 to $14 an hour. You should be prepared to give them coffee/tea and at least money for lunch.

The higher rate will be for some one who is oriented towards so called relationship translation and can understand the nuances of meaning in this sphere.

In the end like every where in the world you get what you pay for.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 05:01:25 AM »
10 per hour / 75 per day, plus any meals I paid.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline JL

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 11:17:54 AM »
I paid $25 an hour for several reasons. She is top notch, has worked in court cases where her translations might send a guy to prison, she's worked for the government, but mostly because she was a friend and delightful person to have around. We laughed till we were sore that week. It was a circus, the beer and wine flowed, we cooked feasts, we got a Mercedes van and toured some interesting areas of Ukraine She was well worth the extra few dollars for her company......between her and my girlfriend who is also really funny I sometimes had to excuse my self and walk off somewhere to control my laughter and let stomach muscles recover.
This was in Lugansk......or started there. Then our orbit widened when we got the van.
Going back in a few weeks to finish our K1 stuff. May meet in Amsterdam instead. I always get tired of not being able to talk to people around town, on the street or wherever.

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:04:02 PM »
Around $10-$15 per hour plus lunch or dinner if they are accompanying you on these types of dates.

Offline JL

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »
seems to vary with their experience or credentials

Registration