The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Things to do just before the interview that will affect your future together  (Read 45768 times)

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
  • Trips: 20+
We spend such a long time waiting for the paperwork to make it through the system. When it comes time for scheduling the interview there is so much to do and some of you will be ahead of the ball while others trail. Our thoughts are stuck on air reservations, marriage ceremony, the honeymoon and all those things you are planning on to make her adjustment easier.

The following is a short list of things that many men may overlook during this time. Things that can only be done in her country or at least will save you a lot of time and money down the road if done in her country before she leaves.

1. Have her get a full dentist work-over. It is one thing to say it and another to actually impress on a RW that the difference can mean thousands of dollars 6 months to a year down the road. It should also not be done immediately before leaving in case something done is not done correctly and needs fixing.

2. Have her see a gynecologist and get a pap smear before you leave. You will be paying for this at least once a year and the difference in price is hundreds of dollars. Check the cost in your city. It should open your eyes.

3. If she wears glasses or contacts have her get the the full checkup and the exam paper. The checkup should be good for a year if she needs new contacts and will save you a hundred or two for a new exam she will need every year. If she wears contacts she can also very cheaply get several sets in sealed containers that will last for a long time.

4. If she has a degree or upper education then begin about 2 months ahead to have her transcript fixed up. She may not ever need it but if that time comes when she wants to use it or get her credits transferred having it now will save you a lot of trouble. It takes about a month in some countries. There are other threads explaining how to do this and it is a little complicated.

5. If you are bringing a lot of her things back, you may wish to buy a $30 trunk or 2 which can be found in most discount chain stores. They are the largest size container you can freely take on a plane. Of course a large suitcase is roughly the same size but the trunk is rectangular and you never know but it can make a difference depending on what you pack. Most airlines will allow two of them per person.

I would appreciate any other suggestions from the married section. I think I got most of it.
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline Paul

4. If she has a degree or upper education then begin about 2 months ahead to have her transcript fixed up. She may not ever need it but if that time comes when she wants to use it or get her credits transferred having it now will save you a lot of trouble. It takes about a month in some countries. There are other threads explaining how to do this and it is a little complicated.

I'll mention it here too (as I did in the other thread). "This is very important, especially if the woman has no friends or family who can do a lot of running around for her after she has left the country." Fortunately for my wife, her sister was able to visit the University that she attended and got many things taken care of for her, after my wife was already in the U.S.

Offline gfinfla

• Spouses Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 1-5
Have her bring at least a months supply of any medications she is on this includes birth control. I have pretty good insurance but some of the meds in Europe are different than here. It takes time for doctors to find a replacement for some. My wife was amazed that she couldn't walk into a pharmacy and just grab birth control pills ;D.

As mentioned before all paperwork including immigration,birth certificates,divorce certificates,school degrees, and transcripts. If they can get them translated there great but even if they are able to it's a good idea to scan everything and email yourself and put them on a flash drive. That way if an original is lost you will still have a copy.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
Have her bring at least a months supply of any medications she is on this includes birth control. I have pretty good insurance but some of the meds in Europe are different than here. It takes time for doctors to find a replacement for some. My wife was amazed that she couldn't walk into a pharmacy and just grab birth control pills ;D.

As mentioned before all paperwork including immigration,birth certificates,divorce certificates,school degrees, and transcripts. If they can get them translated there great but even if they are able to it's a good idea to scan everything and email yourself and put them on a flash drive. That way if an original is lost you will still have a copy.

With all the identity theft in the west, I would suggest encrypting your emails first.

On your PC, if you have adequate protection, that might not be such a problem.

Wayne

Offline bagalia

RW no matter how well you know them may not ever tell you that they have a condition or that they occasionally use some pills for one thing or another. It could be as simple as meds for a headache or once a year panic attack or it could be as interesting as a thyroid problem. Ever hear of the old story where the angel turned into the demon within two months of arrival? It does happen and given the quality of medical attention plus an often reluctance to go to a doctor (or lack of money) it is something that everyone should be concerned about to some extent.

I believe that men should put the fear of GOD into the women that customs can and probably will go over every piece of anything she brings into the country and that a few little pills can result in a major headache. This not to mention that The FSU uses many drugs that work really fantastic but alas are illegal in other countries due to ugly side effects or because you can get some really potent stuff over the counter there that requires a prescription here. You might even learn something while doing this.

I have seen suggestions that for any drug there should be a letter from a doctor stating the condition, drug name and generic equivalent. I have not seen anywhere if there is a special form to fill out when going through customs other than the usual customs form. Maybe someone else will have some knowledge on this.

Offline gfinfla

• Spouses Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 1-5

RW no matter how well you know them may not ever tell you that they have a condition or that they occasionally use some pills for one thing or another. It could be as simple as meds for a headache or once a year panic attack or it could be as interesting as a thyroid problem. Ever hear of the old story where the angel turned into the demon within two months of arrival? It does happen and given the quality of medical attention plus an often reluctance to go to a doctor (or lack of money) it is something that everyone should be concerned about to some extent.

I believe that men should put the fear of GOD into the women that customs can and probably will go over every piece of anything she brings into the country and that a few little pills can result in a major headache. This not to mention that The FSU uses many drugs that work really fantastic but alas are illegal in other countries due to ugly side effects or because you can get some really potent stuff over the counter there that requires a prescription here. You might even learn something while doing this.

I have seen suggestions that for any drug there should be a letter from a doctor stating the condition, drug name and generic equivalent. I have not seen anywhere if there is a special form to fill out when going through customs other than the usual customs form. Maybe someone else will have some knowledge on this.
You know my wife? :laugh:  You are right about bringing medications into other countries and I should have included that in my previous list of documents.  We had her meds and doctors orders for them along with translations in our carry on bags. Customs never said a word.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
Congratulations, bagalia, your topic has been made into a 'sticky'.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
1. Have her get a full dentist work-over. It is one thing to say it and another to actually impress on a RW that the difference can mean thousands of dollars 6 months to a year down the road. It should also not be done immediately before leaving in case something done is not done correctly and needs fixing.

I'd add to that by saying use the best western style dentist you can find. In some places, the dental work can be truly shocking.

2. Have her see a gynecologist and get a pap smear before you leave. You will be paying for this at least once a year and the difference in price is hundreds of dollars. Check the cost in your city. It should open your eyes.

A woman living in the UK gets that free here.

5. If you are bringing a lot of her things back, you may wish to buy a $30 trunk or 2 which can be found in most discount chain stores. They are the largest size container you can freely take on a plane. Of course a large suitcase is roughly the same size but the trunk is rectangular and you never know but it can make a difference depending on what you pack. Most airlines will allow two of them per person.

Only on transatlantic or long haul flights. Most of us European saps get one small carry on and one hold bag.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Rasputin

Ever hear of the old story where the angel turned into the demon within two months of arrival?

Yes, it is called culture shock  :biggrin:
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline TomT

Been there, done that... paid to have the botched FSU dental work corrected (at ten times the original "savings").

Offline Rasputin

Or, have a decent dental plan and spread out the work that must be done over a number of years  tiphat That is what my wife and I did not pay more than $100 or $200 over 7 years.
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine

You MUST try to persuade your future wife to limit the amount of stuff she will bring with her when she first flies over.  Packing your life into two suitcases is VERY difficult but that is what you should be aiming for.  Each suitcase MUST weigh less than 32kg.  Trunks and cases over that have to be sent air freight which will entail all the hassle and expenses of customs clearance and freight charges.

It is nearly always cheaper to buy excess baggage in advance of arrival at the departure airport.  Depending on what is packed in the bag you have two choices.  Clothes and non breakables - Cheap strong and light "sack" type bag.  Fragile stuff is better in a rigid plastic case.  Light as possible here as some cases are 8kg empty!

You can always pick up more stuff on return trips.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
We spend such a long time waiting for the paperwork to make it through the system. When it comes time for scheduling the interview there is so much to do and some of you will be ahead of the ball while others trail. Our thoughts are stuck on air reservations, marriage ceremony, the honeymoon and all those things you are planning on to make her adjustment easier. 

What an excellent post.  We should "sticky" this or add it to the list of required reading by new members. 

Fantastic advice, concisely delivered.  Well done!
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
What an excellent post.  We should "sticky" this or add it to the list of required reading by new members. 

Fantastic advice, concisely delivered.  Well done!

What a fine idea...

:chuckle:

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline bagalia

You MUST try to persuade your future wife to limit the amount of stuff she will bring with her when she first flies over.  Packing your life into two suitcases is VERY difficult but that is what you should be aiming for.  Each suitcase MUST weigh less than 32kg.  Trunks and cases over that have to be sent air freight which will entail all the hassle and expenses of customs clearance and freight charges.

It is nearly always cheaper to buy excess baggage in advance of arrival at the departure airport.  Depending on what is packed in the bag you have two choices.  Clothes and non breakables - Cheap strong and light "sack" type bag.  Fragile stuff is better in a rigid plastic case.  Light as possible here as some cases are 8kg empty!

You can always pick up more stuff on return trips.

The duffel  bag is a very good idea and the trunks do weigh in heavy to start with though you also have the option of taking two loads each if you fly with her (for Americans at least) and those can be duffel or mixed. The excess baggage rate is pretty cheap considering. Check with the airline baggage rules for specifics.

Or you can be like Justmd and bring a little of her stuff back every time you visit.

Offline bagalia

Been there, done that... paid to have the botched FSU dental work corrected (at ten times the original "savings").

I agree but if she has a decent dentist with a good track record then it should be OK. I admit that my own work has not always been top notch but at least what I have had done did not cause worse problems. Once I lost a difficult filling a week after I got it but I have two bridges and multiple root canals that have been fine for 6-7 years now. The little lady goes once a year for some minor work, more often a lost filling. There are as many bad dentists as there are decent enough ones.

Offline Vinnvinny

Once I lost a difficult filling a week after I got it but I have two bridges and multiple root canals that have been fine for 6-7 years now.

I’m interested to know more about this difficult filling. Argumentative I guess, rather obstreperous at times?

Offline bagalia

Once I lost a difficult filling a week after I got it but I have two bridges and multiple root canals that have been fine for 6-7 years now.

I’m interested to know more about this difficult filling. Argumentative I guess, rather obstreperous at times?

Difficult (in my mind) as in anything with less than full support on all sides. A filling on top has full support. One on the top and side has less. One on the corner and top may not last long. When you get to a point where you really need a cap but don't have the time or the money then I get a difficult filling. I have no other word for it and don't much care to learn one.

Offline TomT

"Inlay" or "onlay"