The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Jack Bragg - aka Nunya - RIP.  (Read 12050 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Jack Bragg - aka Nunya - RIP.
« on: July 24, 2013, 12:15:22 AM »
I just heard that Jack Bragg, aka Nunya, and of firstdream.com passed away on July 19th of cancer.

He was one of our earliest members here joining in 2007: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=41

I thought it fitting we have a topic to mark that, as Jack was one of the larger than life figures that most people from here will know or know of.

I never actually got around to meeting Jack, but in addition to many robust debates across several forums over a few years, I did have the pleasure of speaking with him on the phone at length, and found him to be a funny bloke who was every bit as frank and forthright as his online persona suggested.

Comments and tales are welcome on the topic. Negativity isn't in the circumstances.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline between

Re: Jack Bragg - aka Nunya - RIP.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 12:20:05 AM »
I wondered what was going on. Today I was going to start a thread "Where's Jack".

RIP Jack.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 12:41:13 AM »
I am sorry to hear that.

Jack was a 'proper bloke' who knew his stuff and had a good time with his knowledge.

Sorry that he is gone.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:01:16 AM »
His posts added some colour to the forum world.
Sympathies to his family.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 01:10:36 AM »
I never met Jack although we did plan on meeting many moons ago when I was passing through Kiev one time,  it never came off, we spoke once too, but that was about the only time we ever got close getting together.

Condolences to his family, RIP.
Слава Україні

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 03:47:32 AM »
I never had a problem with Jack in my dealings with him, and even if we disagreed on something which was rare, we always seemed to have an understanding and mutual respect between us. He was always one to lend a hand if you needed it, especially in a pinch, and I found him to be as real as you could be. In my book, it is really all I ask of someone, just keep it real. Jack kept it real and I for one will miss his contributions to this or any forum.

This is sad news to hear, indeed.

R.I.P. Jack
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 04:15:27 AM »
My wife and I are in shock at this news.  We last heard from Jack at the end of March when he told us his treatment for throat cancer was going well but he was tired and taking things easy.  Now he has passed on…

I feel I must say something about this remarkable man.  I first met Jack on the now defunct R-W-G forum over a dozen years ago.  He was a forthright character and his style attracted many on-line detractors,  many of whom had neither met Jack or used the services of his company – First Dream. Had these people ever met Jack face to face they would never had the nerve to insult him so.  They would likely have run to the Gents WC and locked themselves in a cubicle.  He was a big guy, both physically and as a personality.

Jack adored Russia and Ukraine (especially the women!)  and his knowledge of the history, culture and life in these countries was based on many years of personal experience.  His experience on dating FSU women had few, if any peers.  If you were wise, you listened, even though you may not share his outlook.

I contacted Jack soon after my first serious relationship with a Ukraine woman had crashed and burned.  I was in “the dumps”, ready to cash in my tickets to Kiev.  Jack was one of the guys who persuaded me to start over.  He helped me plan an impromptu “visit many” trip.  One of the women I met on that trip is my wife…

I found his services to be first class (as did most of his customers).  I felt he actually cared about his clients.  A very rare trait in the MOB business.  Jack helped many people but did not exploit the situation.  He was a private man who respected the wishes of others.  He was also a talented photographer.  I for one will miss his candid photographs of ordinary women which he took on the the street, as life passed by. I will also miss reading his forthright advice.  We will personally miss Jack, as without his help we would never have met.   We send our sincere condolences to his family.

This community has lost one of its pioneers and is poorer for his passing.  Rest in Peace Jack.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 05:09:58 AM »
Never met Jack but many of his postings seemed sound and based on knowledge.

It is a loss for the RUA community.

Rest in Peace.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 08:38:21 AM »
Very sad news indeed, a great pioneer in these endeavors and a well respected man by those who used his services such as VinVinny, Turbo Guy, and Leslie.

I missed his honest contributions to this forum.

Rest in Peace, Jack.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »
DAMN!!!

I guess I'll never have that beer with him. That's one of two Texans that I locked horns with and still respected them, a lot.

First  "encounter" was back in 1999 on the RW-L. At the beginning he came across as a hustler, however, the more I "talked" to the man, the more I would understand his position and the less disagreements we had to a point that once in a while he would be the one asking ME if I had any misgivings about what he said.

I can honestly say I will miss him as much as Neeley.

RIP Jack

Offline TomT

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 10:00:59 AM »
Over the years, I had quite a bit of communication with Jack but, like many others, I never met the man. He was serious about his work, had an eye for beauty and everything that he ever told me was borne out in good time. Best of all, he enjoyed skewering people who needed skewering.

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 12:26:02 PM »
Nice comments in the circumstances Paul and Ade. They say far more about you than they do about Jack.

Offline Paul

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »
Nice comments in the circumstances Paul and Ade. They say far more about you than they do about Jack.

I'm respectful to people who deserve respect, Vinny.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 12:34:27 PM »
First  "encounter" was back in 1999 on the RW-L. At the beginning he came across as a hustler, however, the more I "talked" to the man, the more I would understand his position and the less disagreements we had to a point that once in a while he would be the one asking ME if I had any misgivings about what he said. 

My experience with Jack was much the same as yours.  Initially we mixed like oil and water.  But in the past few years I came to understand Jack and appreciate the service he was trying to accomplish for his clients.  In the end I came to realize that Jack was honestly trying to help his clients find what they were looking for.  In that end he was as honest as the day is long. 

Was supposed to meet up with him in Moscow last fall but I cancelled my trip.  I regret that I never had the chance to meet him in person and down a few pints with him while doing a bit of girl watching in one of the most target rich environments in the world. 

Rest well Jack!

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline leslied

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »
MODERATOR COMMENT.

QUOTE.

Comments and tales are welcome on the topic. Negativity isn't in the circumstances.

I deleted two posts and will delete all further posts of that ilk on this thread. 

If you want to insult the dead then open a thread in off topic.

Online sparky114

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 01:12:04 PM »
RIP Jack  tiphat
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 01:38:24 PM »
As most will know, Jack liked taking photos, especially of pretty women. I used to rib him that he had an ‘obsession’ with it but it made no difference. When in Dnepr he would spend hours on his balcony clicking away.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

As a keen photographer myself he couldn’t understand why I didn’t want to sit in the afternoon heat and do likewise. I told him that it wasn’t my gig but I did snap a couple he approved of.

Happy days .....

RIP.

Offline GreyScales

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 01:40:25 PM »
Does any one know Jacks family?  Do they want or need for anything we in the community can help with in any way???

RIP Jack!

GS

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 01:50:19 PM »
Does any one know Jacks family?  Do they want or need for anything we in the community can help with in any way??? 

Jack was divorced from both American and FSU wives.  The marriage to the FSU lady was childless.  I'm pretty sure his children from the first marriage are all adults. 

His tour business was his second business.  I believe his first business was in television and he was reasonably successful. 
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline Manny

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 01:52:47 PM »
I believe his first business was in television and he was reasonably successful.

Telecoms I believe.

Nice last photo Vinny.  tiphat
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 02:17:47 PM »
Telecoms is correct.  Jack had two grown sons,  They are Jack and John.  Both I believe are in their 30's.   Jack by the way was 59.  Too young to go.

Offline Kimosabe

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 02:31:04 PM »
I attended Jack's Christmas Social in Kiev last year, 2012. It was unfortunate he had to cancel his plans to come to Kiev because of his health issues.

An interpreter friend of mine told me a funny story about Jack: There was a man on one of his tours who owed an interpreter a couple hundred dollars. When she asked to be paid, there was always an excuse, no money on hand, need to go to the ATM, etc. etc. When Jack heard the interpreter had not been paid, he went to the guy an he insisted she be paid NOW! Suddenly, the guy seemed to have plenty of cash to pay his debt.  She told me Jack was a large man with a great attitude, he always took good care of his people.
Rest in Peace, Jack.

Offline patagonie

• Real life is meeting and kissing
  • Spouses Country: ukraine
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 02:49:29 PM »
It is pretty crazy, Jack died the day of my marriage party (he was invited), and the balcony in Dnepr where he was usually shooting, is just above my favorite place to change money (i also spend a lot of time around this place)

Offline MBS01

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »
I too never met Jack, yet it seems we must have travelled and visited some of the same locations since I have been visiting and enjoying Dnepr. for 11 years now including being married there almost 10 years ago as well.  It is always sad to learn of someone's passing that we have known be it in person or online.

Our thoughts go out Jack's family and many friends in the Western and FSU family that he too enjoyed in life.

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 06:14:09 PM »