The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: In Ukraine and it's a disaster.  (Read 12178 times)

Offline Johnboys82

• Hello all, hope you are well.
  • Spouses Country: N.A.
  • Trips: None Yet
In Ukraine and it's a disaster.
« on: July 05, 2013, 11:49:28 AM »
Well I finally made it to Ukraine after nearly a year writing to one girl who showed up and one I wrote to for about 4 months who did not even though I went to the town she was registered in but a no show because her grandmother was sick and dying in another town. She even disappeared off the site. I met both on charming brides and am in Melitopol at the moment leaving on Sunday. I met Olga last Saturday at 7 as arranged, she got a phone call after about half an hour and had to go which was fine but arranged for the day after. We went for a meal with the interpreter she brought to the first meeting who was money mad and charging by the hour. I hadn't been to the bank and running low on cash Olga helped me out with 30 grivna which I paid back the next day which she did not want to take but I insisted. Our next meeting Olga got a headache and went home after 2 hours. We arranged the next day at 5 but I was met by the interpreter and told Olga could not make it but gave no explanation but was told that she would contact me at the hotel. Basically she had disappeared along with the interpreter so I got on to the agency in Kharkov by email and they gave me the address and number for the local office and told me that I had a meeting at 5 with Olga which I knew nothing about until they told me. The time has come and gone they stayed an hour and Olga gave me the excuse that her grandmother was sick and needed an operation she had been in a different town and had came back because she was worried about me, the interpreter also said they planned on coming to the hotel anyway at 5 and Olga had to leave Melitopol again at 7. When I asked would I see her before I left the reply was if she got back to town on time but write her when I am home and let her know about the journey. I am sure that the agency got on to them and forced the meeting. Honestly am shocked by all this and the hotel gave the ukrainian guy who was next door my room key and he walked in while I was in bed and went straight for my BlackBerry PlayBook. I also discovered Olga has an email account in English. She was saying some English words here and there during the short time we did see each other, I will be asking her to write me with her email address when I send the letter when I get home and if she declines I will say goodbye. Any advice from the guy's or gals with more experience would be great thanks.

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
Re: In Ukraine and it's a disaster.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 11:58:38 AM »
There appears to be a rash of ill, hospitalized, and even dying grandmothers in Ukraine lately.

Any advice from the guy's or gals with more experience would be great thanks.

I suggest changing your approach entirely.  Stop using these agencies; you don't seem to have had much luck with them.  And if you like a girl don't keep her waiting a year for a visit; very few of them are willing to wait this long for you.  You're not that far of a flight from Ukraine.

Offline Rasputin

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »
Which site were you using to meet these women?
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Johnboys82

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »
True I was just being careful, the flight over was a disaster too. Lost luggage and a stay in Kiev. I used charming brides. I said it to the agency in an email about the sick granny's round here no reply.

Offline Ladine

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 12:08:53 PM »
True I was just being careful, the flight over was a disaster too. Lost luggage and a stay in Kiev. I used charming brides. I said it to the agency in an email about the sick granny's round here no reply.

Forget it. was a similar story with a guy from India. but he did not have time to come to Kharkov. I found this agency through the Kharkov newspaper and internet. it was a scam. Typically, these agencies do not provide that men can come to the meeting.
smart will learn - a fool would teach.
Никогда не оправдывайся, если ты невиновен. Если в вас бросают грязью, к вам может и не долететь. А руки того, кто это делает, останутся в грязи. Люблю вас всех.

Offline missAmeno

• Spouses Country: ukraine
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »
I will be asking her to write me with her email address when I send the letter when I get home and if she declines I will say goodbye.

What for? You know she is not interested in you so what the point of carrying on writting emails?
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, ideals, thoughts, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

Offline Johnboys82

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 12:18:12 PM »
The agency wanted to organise everything but I did it myself, there was not much bad info on the net bout the site. Yeah you're right time to cut this lot loose.

Offline Ladine

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »
According to the ratio of foreigners to Russian girls

particularly interesting comments. as Russian compatriots are doing a review of Russian women

"and yes, the ladies are terrible-materialistic to the core, so the aliens escape. therefore in contact with a normal girl, they look for the deception. " - comment
Никогда не оправдывайся, если ты невиновен. Если в вас бросают грязью, к вам может и не долететь. А руки того, кто это делает, останутся в грязи. Люблю вас всех.

Offline Crusader

• Watched
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 01:04:08 PM »
Honestly am shocked by all this and the hotel gave the ukrainian guy who was next door my room key and he walked in while I was in bed and went straight for my BlackBerry PlayBook.
How many bones in his face did you break?
Maybe you just broke his arms? Legs?

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 01:05:56 PM »
I wont sugar coat it Johnny, and others are welcome to disagree. But here goes.......

Well I finally made it to Ukraine after nearly a year writing to one girl

Way too long. Next time aim for within three months. Ireland to Ukraine is only a short hop after all. Because of that, she knew you was not serious before you arrived.

because her grandmother was sick and dying in another town.

Classic get out excuse. Nearly as old as the "I have no mobile phone" gag.

I met both on charming brides

I have no personal experience of this site - but some might say no smoke without fire......

I met Olga last Saturday at 7 as arranged, she got a phone call after about half an hour and had to go

She didn't like you. The phone call was a pre-arranged get out for her.

but arranged for the day after.

Lets have some cash out of this guy........

We went for a meal with the interpreter she brought to the first meeting who was money mad and charging by the hour.

This is textbook.......

I hadn't been to the bank and running low on cash Olga helped me out with 30 grivna which I paid back the next day which she did not want to take but I insisted.

Less than three Euros.

Our next meeting Olga got a headache and went home after 2 hours.

You didn't spend enough.

We arranged the next day at 5 but I was met by the interpreter and told Olga could not make it but gave no explanation but was told that she would contact me at the hotel. Basically she had disappeared along with the interpreter

They decided you were not a money earner for them. Bye bye.

so I got on to the agency in Kharkov by email and they gave me the address and number for the local office and told me that I had a meeting at 5 with Olga which I knew nothing about until they told me. The time has come and gone they stayed an hour and Olga gave me the excuse that her grandmother was sick and needed an operation she had been in a different town and had came back because she was worried about me, the interpreter also said they planned on coming to the hotel anyway at 5 and Olga had to leave Melitopol again at 7. When I asked would I see her before I left the reply was if she got back to town on time but write her when I am home and let her know about the journey.

(:)

I am sure that the agency got on to them and forced the meeting.

Better than giving you a refund.

You need to read here way more fella.

Most of that is textbook stuff. Had you been the type of guy to throw money around, you would have got a day or two more company [only] from her and her friendly translator. Sushi and shopping would have been the agenda.

Chalk it up to experience, go home, and next time do it properly after reading everything you can find here.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Rasputin

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 01:11:33 PM »
I presume this is a pay-per-letter/per minute video chat agency. Correct?
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 01:13:30 PM »
Agree with what Manny wrote, best off ditching all your ties with this company, enjoy the last couple of days of your stay and read a lot on here.

If I was you now, I'd find the nearest bar which has some foriegn folk in, get yourself a wingman and hit a couple of clubs.

Practice your chatting up technique and use it for your next visit.

Surely someone here can recommend a bar to visit, no point in finding an agency with a day to go.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Ladine

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 01:18:46 PM »
Quote from: Manny
Less than three Euros.

Already had enough for the words bye bye. Did you go to the meeting and no money?

Manny  :thumbsup:   detail no one can say. all point.

Offline Johnboys82

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
Firstly he got a smack in the mouth and ran off cos he was leaving then and I had a go at the desk in the hotel for giving out a key for the room. Basically you ar right the interpreter was showing me jewellers shops and stuff but I wasn't biting the bait and I am not stupid wit money when it comes to women. Olga herself ate only ice cream and the both drank juice. She was done up the second day and I will go home if I get there without being robbed and murdered and chalk it up to experience. Major learning curve and it's lucky I don't drink or they would have really had me. They tried getting me to a nightclub and to drink but had a feeling I would have got a beatin and robbed by some of their buddies. A lucky escape! I had money but needed to change it and did so. Yeah they were back the next day and then when I wasn't spending only the interpreter turned up with the get out granny plan. I slipped into the meeting this evening that I went out after being ditched and had a couple of girls back which I did and today which made poor old olgas face change fairly rapid.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 01:35:31 PM »
Put in your shoes I might have a change of plan, get yourself out of Kharvok tomorrow on the bus or whatever, stay in kiev for the night, closer to the airport for your flight and means you can have a fun night out on Saturday.

There's plenty a bar in Kiev I can tell you about that will almost guarantee you'll hook up with some English talking folk who are looking for wingmen also, there's plenty of places to go, women are friendly and it gets you out of your current situation, specially if they know you have some Euro's floating about.

My guess is they booked this hotel for you? or recommended it?

Need some recommendations for places to go in Kiev and a cheap apartment let me know.

Good luck.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Crusader

• Watched
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »
Put in your shoes I might have a change of plan, get yourself out of Kharvok tomorrow on the bus or whatever, stay in kiev for the night, closer to the airport for your flight and means you can have a fun night out on Saturday.

There's plenty a bar in Kiev I can tell you about that will almost guarantee you'll hook up with some English talking folk who are looking for wingmen also, there's plenty of places to go, women are friendly and it gets you out of your current situation, specially if they know you have some Euro's floating about.

My guess is they booked this hotel for you? or recommended it?

Need some recommendations for places to go in Kiev and a cheap apartment let me know.

Good luck.
I thought he was in Melitohole. It's such a hole.  :chuckle:
But you are right. Get back to Kiev.
If in Melitopol, all the more reason to get the fook out!
Kiev will be fun.

Offline Johnboys82

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 01:44:23 PM »
No I booked all myself without them they are kind of pissed at that and I am in Melitopol with train ticket for Sunday. I didn't flash any cash about or discuss how much I have. I have the doors locked and everything stashed away just in case. Doubt they will be back even the two women. I have new people in the rooms next to me now. You have me worried now.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Trips: 5-10
No I booked all myself without them they are kind of pissed at that and I am in Melitopol with train ticket for Sunday. I didn't flash any cash about or discuss how much I have. I have the doors locked and everything stashed away just in case. Doubt they will be back even the two women. I have new people in the rooms next to me now. You have me worried now.

Don't worry John, just keep your wits and use common sense and you will be fine.  That room incident seems odd though.

Your trip is very similar to many others that have used those sites.  They were upset about you booking your own accommodations because they did not make money off of it.  Those girls were there to play you for whatever you were willing to spend on them.

I would not bother writing her again.  There is no point in it, especially if you pay for the letters.  There is a reason she wants to string you along writing on the site as well.  Write off the experience as a lesson learned and become all the wiser for it.  If at all possible, go get an earlier train to Kiev and get out of that town...I have heard nothing good about it either...especially from the girls I have spoken with in the past.  Get a good couple of days in Kiev to build a positive memory on and start working on the next trip to the FSU.

Good luck and welcome!!
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Crusader

• Watched
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 02:05:48 PM »
Yes, try to get to Kiev as soon as possible. As in Saturday for Saturday night.  :nod:

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 02:14:01 PM »

Wouldn't worry too much, but the room thing would make me want to leave anyway, besides unless you've a really good night lined up for tomorrow I'd pack up and move on, Kiev is one hell of a place on a Saturday night for a single man, specially a bit of fresh in town, you'll be a hit with the ladies.

Personally I'd make a move to Kiev tomorrow, book an apartment tonight for Kiev tomorrow, cost you 60 or 80 Euro's and have a good night out, sounds like you need it.

www.partnerguesthouse.com

Or if they don't have one, let me know I have a contact with an apartment right in the centre who might let you have it for the night, but I'd need to send a few emails to find out.

By the way get an apartment in Basina Street, it's very handy, or Independence Square, but that said they're all within 10 minutes walking of the main places to have a beer or two ;)

Offline Johnboys82

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »
Ha ha that video reminds me of last night. Was interesting! I like the country and will be back with new knowledge and I always have my wits about me I gave up drink to tour this country so I won't be the drunken stupid foreigner that's an easy target because I heard of them getting people drunk and setting them up. Lesson learned and I have 17 quid left on my account and doubt I'll get it back so I will use it for curiosity sakes. I knew the interpreters game the minute I met her she was all about the money. I didn't buy the contact info for Olga so she turned up and demanded the introduction fee even though Olga and I had arranged a meeting place ourselves. I knew the guy was upto no good when he was describing the PlayBook in Russian to everyone what story he gave to get the key I'll never know. Snake eyes watching everything here. I reckon I'll move on tomorrow you are right and it's safer.

Offline patagonie

• Real life is meeting and kissing
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 02:52:28 PM »
Hi i wrote to 5 girls in charming brides in Kharkov. For less than 150 $... I ditch one, one was out of the city when i came and i met three, reals, like in the photos.
This is my advice when you date in such agencies :

DATING IN NON TRUSTY AGENCIES : how to do :
As they are per letter paid i advice guys to :

1/ Correspondance
Engage correspondance maximum four weeks before your travel. Exchange a maximum of three letters with them (3 you send, 3 she answers for a total of maximum 6), no gifts, no camera.
Write to only a limited number of women YOU choice.
Stick on this and date them.

If you don't do that you are going to pay a huge amount : hundreds or thousands of $.

2/ Dating
If you like the girl and if the girl like you ask her  private phone number DURING THE FIRST MEETING.

Some agencies have the bad habit to consider girls as a private property, like sheeps and you as a disciplined soldier who will enter in the average budget expense they have calculated in accordance with the sales growth they expect. See below.
When time i was in the office of one were big spreadsheets on the wall were dispatched. You just needed to look these differents curves of  profitability to have a clear understanding of the demeanor of the owner and what he expects from his business.

For what i have seen and what a friend of mine who is a professional terp in this city told me, a lot of agencies confuses men and women, BOTH to their profit, in the aim to let the game continuing as long as possible which means more meeting fees, more terp hours, more excursions activities, more gifts.

This terp has helped for dozens of meetings and she has said that the MAIN problem between men and women who in  dating are agencies (fortunately some are doing a good work).

When dealing with an agency i catched them twice : to lie to  me saying that my previous meeting was not interested after a sucessful date + several sms from her. I let my terp calling  the lady few minutes after and the lady answered quite the contrary of what the agency was supposed to tell me.  With an other girl (same agency), the agency didn't warm me that she was free, so we missed an appointment because they let go some time whereas she was available.

3/ cut the agency as first meeting ends

Stay polite, don't hesitate to pay what you should pay as fee, tip the agency's interpreter.
I would STRONGLY  advise you  to cut the agency after the first meeting ends. Get a private interpreter and work with him/her for followings meetings and dig relationship with who you like... And repeat the process as necessary.

Recommendations in case of an agency you don't know or not recommanded by any RUA members :
This is a basis many travellers forget : YOU choose the woman you want to meet. If the agency PROPOSES you a girl you need to be suspicious and use an independant terp during the  second meeting to CHECK the lady.

Offline patagonie

• Real life is meeting and kissing
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 03:01:16 PM »
Last thing, when i don't feel safe in a place i put a chair besides the door, even it blocks not the door for too long it would wake up me and lets me some time to react.

Offline Johnboys82

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 03:03:25 PM »
Duly noted and as I said I have caught the agency out and will use my 17 bucks as an experiment and move on just curious about what will be written to try keep me on the books there. I love you will be the next thing I bet. Olga has an English email address and had no problem with typing it in. I smelt a rat then and they knew it. Good idea with the chairs I have 2 and they will be used...;)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 03:04:09 PM »
I will be asking her to write me with her email address when I send the letter when I get home and if she declines I will say goodbye.

What for? You know she is not interested in you so what the point of carrying on writting emails?

Totally agree. write it all off to a bad experience and start again, also agree with everything Manny told you, start reading mate and digest, you need a bit more education before jetting off again.
Слава Україні

Registration