The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Altai Republic, Russia......... Chemal  (Read 10906 times)

Offline krassavchick

Re: Altai Republic, Russia......... Chemal
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 12:16:57 PM »

ila_rendered

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »
Horses everywhere in Altai.

ila_rendered

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »
Thanks Chris.  i've heard the Carpathian mountains are beautiful.

(Attachment Link)

Yes they are krassavchick, but so is the Altai region from what you have posted.
Слава Україні

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 12:26:13 PM »
Getting chillier.  Was it really 25c yesterday?

ila_rendered

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 12:29:24 PM »

ila_rendered

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »

ila_rendered

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »
Almost at the top.

ila_rendered

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2013, 12:39:17 PM »
At the top -6c.

ila_rendered

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2013, 12:44:23 PM »
The way back down.

ila_rendered

Offline Ade

• Spouses Country: Russia/UK-Norway
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
Some part of Wales look like this (minus the buildings and blue sky).

We do have blue sky ... we do, we do  :GRRRR:

I am trying to convince myself we will see it this year  :-\

For many years I used to go back to South Wales several times a year and you could almost guarantee that it would either start raining on the Severn Bridge or soon after no matter what the time of year. Depressing.

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2013, 12:48:21 PM »

ila_rendered

Offline ashbyclarke

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2013, 12:54:37 PM »

(Attachment Link)

I've always wondered why the houses in Russia have colourful roofs, nobody's ever given a reasonable explanation.

Nice pics, will pop this area on my "to visit" list  tiphat
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Chris

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2013, 12:59:26 PM »

(Attachment Link)

I've always wondered why the houses in Russia have colourful roofs, nobody's ever given a reasonable explanation.

We had one of my wife's Nephews staying with us for a few weeks recently and he couldn't understand why all our roofs were more or less the same colour, if you have been to Ukraine etc you will understand why he asked  :laugh: just about every colour under the sun, on one street there  :laugh:
Слава Україні

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »

(Attachment Link)

A lot of the new flats that have been built, have been painted pastel colours which i have to say makes a much brighter city than the old depressing grey/browns from the Soviet era.  Most of the flats themselves still aren't that nice but at least they have nice colours.  As for the roofs i've no idea  :laugh:

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2013, 01:07:43 PM »

(Attachment Link)

We had one of my wife's Nephews staying with us for a few weeks recently and he couldn't understand why all our roofs were more or less the same colour, if you have been to Ukraine etc you will understand why he asked  :laugh: just about every colour under the sun, on one street there  :laugh:

I'd noticed it before but in Tyumen it really stood out, everywhere you go it's a like a colourful rainbow of roofs.

I put it down to cheap paint, apparently not though, what it's down to remains a mystery !
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Chris

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »

(Attachment Link)

I'd noticed it before but in Tyumen it really stood out, everywhere you go it's a like a colourful rainbow of roofs.

I put it down to cheap paint, apparently not though, what it's down to remains a mystery !

Cheap steel and little or no planning regulations, that's why!
Слава Україні

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2013, 01:16:22 PM »

(Attachment Link)

I'm pretty sure the little villages that are used as summer houses, so I was told, are made from wood and have colourful roofs.

Not that you're wrong of course Chris, maybe my vision was blurred ;)

Shame I didn't take any photos!

Offline Chris

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »

(Attachment Link)

I'm pretty sure the little villages that are used as summer houses, so I was told, are made from wood and have colourful roofs.

Yes many do, but some are refurbished with the corrugated steel/tin cladding and some are older with the shingle/timber cladding roofs that have been painted or washed with stains etc. Nearly all the modern type homes have the steel cladding roofs now manufactured by Ruukki etc
Слава Україні

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »

(Attachment Link)

Yes many do, but some are refurbished with the corrugated steel/tin cladding and some are older with the shingle/timber cladding roofs that have been painted or washed with stains etc. Nearly all the modern type homes have the steel cladding roofs now manufactured by Ruukki etc

Well that's cleared that up!

Thanks Chris, another Russian mystery solved  tiphat

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2013, 01:37:04 PM »
Old style.

ila_rendered

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 03:59:58 PM »

(Attachment Link)

A lot of the new flats that have been built, have been painted pastel colours which i have to say makes a much brighter city than the old depressing grey/browns from the Soviet era.  Most of the flats themselves still aren't that nice but at least they have nice colours.  As for the roofs i've no idea  :laugh:

You just never was in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky. They always painted buildings in different colours, it depended which colour chief Architect liked... The first one I worked with prefered green, the last one hated yellow. But in reality - which colour they had - this one was used  :biggrin: The same thing - with roofs, don't seach any logic  ;D
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »

(Attachment Link)

You just never was in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky. They always painted buildings in different colours, it depended which colour chief Architect liked... The first one I worked with prefered green, the last one hated yellow. But in reality - which colour they had - this one was used  :biggrin: The same thing - with roofs, don't seach any logic  ;D

I had my suspicions Chris wasn't correct, just being nice to him  :-X

Thank you Millaa  :thumbsup:

Offline Chris

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2013, 05:40:58 AM »

(Attachment Link)

I had my suspicions Chris wasn't correct, just being nice to him  :-X

Thank you Millaa  :thumbsup:

No need to be nice Ash, its just that this rule only applies to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky  :-X where they have very weird architects  :chuckle: to be honest there are many types of old roofing materials and methods, much depends on the part of the FSU you are in, some as Krassie posted a picture of have corrugated roofs that are similar but not exactly like our old Asbestos roofs, again these could be left au naturel or painted to suit the whim of the day.
Слава Україні

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2013, 05:44:47 AM »
its just that this rule only applies to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky  :-X where they have very weird architects  :chuckle:
Thanks, Chris  :innocent:
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline jamaica_live

• причиняю добро и наношу пользу
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 08:31:18 AM »
У нас дожди и багульник не цветет... Хочу на Алтай
Клещей покормить?  ;D
В Белокурихе вообще красота - маленькая Европа прямо. И цены те же, что в Европе.  :chuckle:
People who do not listen to the advice, you can not help.

"В некоторых людях живет Бог, в некоторых - дьявол, а в некоторых только глисты." (God lives in some people, the devil - in others... and in certain people live only worms.)