The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Plane crash in Kiev!  (Read 12156 times)

Offline Art

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
Plane crash in Kiev!
« on: May 16, 2013, 12:45:09 PM »
My wife and daughter were on LOT flight LO 751 (operated by Hi Fly Transportes Aereo) on 6 May 2013 from Warsaw to Kiev, arrival time: 13:45.
I have been trying to call their cell phone, but someone answers who does not speak English.
Today, I finally got through to my wife!
I have learned that the landing gear did not come down and the plane made an emergency landing!
My family was in the hospital and just made it to their home town. It appears a nurse answered their phone and did not understand anything I was saying.
PLEASE! Does anyone know or can find out what happened with this flight?

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Plane crash in Kiev!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 01:12:39 PM »
Art

I just checked with the relatives over there and nothing has been reported on the news yet.

I hope they are both OK.
Слава Україні

Offline ashbyclarke

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 01:16:33 PM »
Art, that was 10 days ago, right?

Nothing online, which sounds unusual to me, perhaps pop CC3 a PM, he should know how to check that out for you.

Hope all is okay
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 01:30:36 PM »
Just had a look at the online log, and it appears the plane was going same route next day.

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/lo751/

Surely one of our forum pilots will know how to check properly, bit odd that it's not been reported.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »
Our NTSB does not investigate international crashes unless a US mfg. plane was involved.  Or they are asked to assist, so it will more than likely not be reported here.  However, there are other sources available so when I get back from my appointment I will see what I can find.  CC3 is a mainline pilot so he may have better resources than I do.  Hang tight.
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline RichyRich

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 02:04:18 PM »
My wife and daughter were on LOT flight LO 751 (operated by Hi Fly Transportes Aereo) on 6 May 2013 from Warsaw to Kiev, arrival time: 13:45.

PLEASE! Does anyone know or can find out what happened with this flight?
Phone Polish Airlines and ask if anything happened to the flight, from what I can tell nothing has but then I cannot confirm this. Phone Polish Airlines and find out if any of their flights had crashed as you say, they will give you a definite answer and then you can go from there.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »
There was never a crash.

Offline Ade

• Spouses Country: Russia/UK-Norway
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »
There was never a crash.

Of course there wasn't. Any crash bad enough to cause 10 days of hospitalization to passengers would be reported somewhere, probably a lot of somewheres.

Wifey doing a runner perhaps? Wayne, you haven't gone and picked another one have you?

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 02:46:50 PM »
flightstats.com reports nothing unusual about that flight.

(LO) LOT - Polish Airlines 751
(WAW) Warsaw, PL to (KBP) Kiev/Kiev, UA
Landed - Delayed 39 minutes
Last change to status more than 3 hours ago
DEPARTURE    ARRIVAL
Scheduled Departure:   Scheduled Arrival:
11:10 AM - Mon May-6-2013    1:45 PM - Mon May-6-2013
Actual Departure:    Actual Arrival:
11:12 AM - Mon May-6-2013    2:24 PM - Mon May-6-2013
Arrival Terminal:    Baggage Claim:
D    N/A

(I'm not sure if they report technical issues, however.)

Offline sharonhaber00

• If you call it "Avatar", let it be Avatar...
  • Spouses Country: Israel
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 03:32:31 PM »
That's odd.

Wife did not contact Art for 10 days?

There was no plane crash... or the crash is else where?   
Nadie no sabe lo que tiene hasta el día que lo pierde.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »
Just had a look at the online log, and it appears the plane was going same route next day.

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/lo751/

Surely one of our forum pilots will know how to check properly, bit odd that it's not been reported.

From that link it can be seen that the plane on that flight number was SP-LIM: LO751 was flown on 2013-05-06 by SP-LIM (E170)

Checking the flights made by that plane we can see that it was flying normally since that date.

As Muzh said, there was no crash. The plane that made the flight SP-LIM was flying continually since that date. Here you can see the record of the flights that this plane has made: http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/sp-lim

It is hard, very hard, to imagine a flight that had an emergency landing, with no landing gear, that caused injuries severe enough to render a person incommuncado for 10 days in hospital and yet the plane suffered no downtime.

Something is more fishy than a thing that is very fishy.

Does your wife know that these things can be be checked?
Why would your wife be unable to answer the phone yet it was charged up and turned on during those days.
Dunno for sure about Ukraine, but hereabouts you'd not be trusting the hospital staff with mobile phones.

Did some more digging. The plane last had an incident back in January of this year:
http://www.tgl-online.de/html/NewsSuchErg.php
More info: http://www.tgl-online.de/html/NewsDetails.php?DetailID=9508&Quelle=Such&Suche=

On that occasion, the plane slipped off the runway and onto soft ground. No injuries, but the plane was still in Moscow over a day later. Hard to imagine that a plane that landed without landing gear would be flying its normal routes right after.

I am curious.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline sharonhaber00

• If you call it "Avatar", let it be Avatar...
  • Spouses Country: Israel
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 04:09:38 PM »
I have learned that the landing gear did not come down and the plane made an emergency landing!
My family was in the hospital and just made it to their home town.

She is lying!
Nadie no sabe lo que tiene hasta el día que lo pierde.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 04:14:37 PM »
My family was in the hospital and just made it to their home town.

She is lying!

Of course she is.

Offline AJ

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 04:30:10 PM »
Art,
 Its seems way too fishy.

and I'm trying to understand why you havn't contacted LOT quite some time ago?
they would certainly have answered you,
and it seems if  she had been injured they would have been contacting you , if you are listed as her emergency contact.(which seems natural)

Very odd

Offline Paul

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 05:36:13 PM »
I see redroo had a sad story. Sorry, but my Russian wife story would probably trump anyone on this board.

I would like to try to recover a little. I am planning to write a book and need a publisher. Any ideas?

By the way, getting an annulment istead of a divorce, redroo, may have been in your better interest. You should check into the laws in your area. It may even be possible to set aside the divorce and file for the annulment after the fact.

:reading:

Edited to add: I was given a link to "Art's" thread on the other site - I only read a few posts there (the other site is one that I usually do not frequent). Is this the same wife from 2008 or a new one?

Offline TomT

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 06:27:43 PM »
From that link it can be seen that the plane on that flight number was SP-LIM: LO751 was flown on 2013-05-06 by SP-LIM (E170)

Checking the flights made by that plane we can see that it was flying normally since that date.

As Muzh said, there was no crash. The plane that made the flight SP-LIM was flying continually since that date. Here you can see the record of the flights that this plane has made: http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/sp-lim

It is hard, very hard, to imagine a flight that had an emergency landing, with no landing gear, that caused injuries severe enough to render a person incommuncado for 10 days in hospital and yet the plane suffered no downtime.

Something is more fishy than a thing that is very fishy.

Does your wife know that these things can be be checked?
Why would your wife be unable to answer the phone yet it was charged up and turned on during those days.
Dunno for sure about Ukraine, but hereabouts you'd not be trusting the hospital staff with mobile phones.

Did some more digging. The plane last had an incident back in January of this year:
http://www.tgl-online.de/html/NewsSuchErg.php
More info: http://www.tgl-online.de/html/NewsDetails.php?DetailID=9508&Quelle=Such&Suche=

On that occasion, the plane slipped off the runway and onto soft ground. No injuries, but the plane was still in Moscow over a day later. Hard to imagine that a plane that landed without landing gear would be flying its normal routes right after.

I am curious.

A wheels-up landing causes major damage to an aircraft. I can't imagine flying the plane again except in the Third World where they fly anything.

[Edit to add: fuhgeddaboutit! A wheels-up landing for this aircraft will cause it to land on the engines. It wouldn't fly anywhere.]

https://www.google.com/search?q=embraer+e175+aircraft&rlz=1C1SKPC_enUS324&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=pXqVUY74MLX_4AOf4oGQCg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=677#imgrc=7yErE1-DJsK8cM%3A%3B6Ye6-3ORi_6qEM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.aero-news.net%252Fimages%252Fcontent%252Fcommair%252F2003%252Fembraer175-0603f.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.aero-news.net%252FAnnTicker.cfm%253Fdo%253Dmain.textpost%2526id%253D47fb8fa8-4dcc-43c2-a8a8-6250a1415cf0%3B400%3B216

Offline TomT

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 07:10:54 PM »

Offline Mikeav8r

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 07:16:45 PM »
It would never reach the tarmac.  Yeah, a wheels up landing would definitely put a 170 OOC and may scrap it due to the stresses placed on the wings from the engine drag.  Normally they can be made safely without incident but every once in a while a fire can break out which would not be good, but very rare.  As Andrew stated..injuries would be minor if any, provided they stick it properly.

I found no incident reports either.

Art, pilots can and will declare emergencies for abnormal indications in the cockpit.  Sometimes too often.  But better to play it safe for priority handling.  Your wife may have understood that the gear was not down when in fact they were and there was a faulty indication in the cockpit.  They may have made an emergency landing but with no incident because the gear was actually down but bulbs were burnt out or a relay failed or any number of things.  Too many scenarios to list.  I hate to say it, but I would be a little suspect of the story unless there was a language barrier here and a misunderstanding.  Good luck.

M
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius

Offline TomT

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 07:27:51 PM »
Being incommunicado for ten days, supposedly spent in the hospital, is very problematic. I'm interested in reading about how this story plays out.

Offline Paul

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 07:36:25 PM »
Being incommunicado for ten days, supposedly spent in the hospital, is very problematic. I'm interested in reading about how this story plays out.

If I were conscious after an accident, the first thing I would do would be to contact my wife somehow to let her know what happened and how I was doing... it's what people in relationships do, no matter what language they speak or what country they are in (minus the countries that still treat women as property).

Offline Mikeav8r

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 07:53:05 PM »
I agree Tom and Paul.  I was just trying to give the benefit of the doubt.  :biggrin:
Two Favorites:

Offline Larry

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 07:57:35 PM »

If I were conscious after an accident, the first thing I would do would be to contact my wife somehow to let her know what happened and how I was doing... it's what people in relationships do, no matter what language they speak or what country they are in (minus the countries that still treat women as property).

Absolutely right.  This happened to me some time ago. I was in the hospital and completely out of it for three or four days.  Just as I arrived I had sent an SMS message to my fiancee that I was at the hospital, but she didn't hear from me until several days later. I sent her an sms message as soon as I was able to.  Actually, a little sooner than that.  My first sms message to her was pretty garbled and she couldn't really understand it.

Offline TomT

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 08:01:43 AM »
There is nothing unusual in the flightstats flight events.

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 09:07:03 AM »

Absolutely right.  This happened to me some time ago. I was in the hospital and completely out of it for three or four days.  Just as I arrived I had sent an SMS message to my fiancee that I was at the hospital, but she didn't hear from me until several days later. I sent her an sms message as soon as I was able to.  Actually, a little sooner than that.  My first sms message to her was pretty garbled and she couldn't really understand it.

And that was a fiancée. If my wife flew to Russia and then disappeared, I would not wait around for 10 days. I would call her mother, her sister, her friends and anybody else for that matter. 
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 09:10:47 AM »
Another one bites the dust.

Registration