The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Chinese Women: The New Ukraine?  (Read 36729 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Chinese Women: The New Ukraine?
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »
You can add Africa and Asia for Aweb.  They have been heavily involved with these regions for 3 plus years now.  Plus South America.

I know about South America, but few Europeans venture there for wives. That is mostly an American market. Where are Aweb operating in Africa? I agree its an open market if guys like black girls. 
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 12:48:20 AM »
One thing for certain being an American it will be tougher to meet RW in East and South Ukraine.  West Ukraine the wife hunter never pulled a lot of women out of there.  Mainly because they grew up learning Ukrainian and English and easily got jobs in the EU.  South and East women grew up learning Russian and Ukrainian and not English.  So if they want to go West they needed a husband.

I have met a few women in Ukraine as well as from Russia.

My only observation regarding women from Ukraine is comparing the Eastern and Southern variations of women as opposed to those from the West of Ukraine the latter were/are more European in outlook. But there does not seem to be any one region that has a better command of the English language, I would guess it will be Kiev and close by.

If the person is half intelligent has a semi job there seems via the Polish consulate little difficulty in obtaining a visa to Europe. Most of the Polish consulates as well as German & Austrian consulates are in the North West of Ukraine.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 12:55:54 AM »
For the MOB business, you may have that backwards.

Chinese men will definitely be looking for more brides than Chinese women are looking for grooms, real soon.

With a shortage of over 40 million women in the Chinese dating/marriage community, there will be a lot of desperate men, and not so many desperate women.

IMHO and of course, YMMV.

Wayne

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 01:44:46 AM »
    • Ukraine is now politically unstable. It is looking likely that Crimea will revert to Russian territory, and the rest will go through a period of unrest before joining the EU. I think EU membership will be accelerated by America outside forces; and the moment that happens Ukraine will be a closed shop for women. And I mean overnight. I saw it happen in the Baltics with my own eyes - and it was fast.
    Because some are challenged when Manny says "overnight" he means the dynamics will change the  rules of the "playing" field and in a very short time period.

• Now for reasons we need not argue here, that place needs to be quite poor, not black and not Muslim. It needs lots of women, and they need to be slim to cater for most guys tastes. Again we find ourselves at the door of China.   
    • The MOB industry knows what we want before we do
    I always have wanted a red head . . .

• Anyone who travels in Europe frequently cannot have failed to notice the explosion of guys with Oriental looking wives. Some will probably be Thai, but many are Chinese. Guys from Scandinavia, Germany and Holland are increasingly marrying oriental ladies. While some guys in the UK and America do marry these ladies already, the "industry" and information resources as we know it with the Russian speaking market is not really as slick yet with the Chinese (or Thai) market. . . 

Indonesia was a Dutch colony for over a century, allot of the Oriental look in Holland (and in particular The Hague) is a home grown "product"

For those that are not inclined to do that, or cannot afford to do so, and for those that want an easy-peasy only-one-visit-and-import-a-wife (which is many) scenario, China seems a likely option.

That said, I am planning to start to do some some business in China this year and will likely be visiting there in October. I have been reading tons of books already on the culture, the language, and from what I have read already, I think getting in tune with that culture will be hard for many westerners.

So although the MOB industry is shifting from Russian speaking countries to China (and to a lesser extent Thailand, South Korea, Japan and Hong Kong) I think guys have a bigger learning curve to "get" that culture. And how can you marry a woman whose culture you don't get? I don't think you can successfully. As with Russian speaking countries, I think you need to take an interest in, and learn, her culture, some basic language and certainly the alphabet. As you expect her to do with yours.

Chinese girls are the new Russian girls. You read it here first.

As noted elsewhere women in China can be far more selective towards a prospective local partner today.

On the other side with a bit of knowledge of the Chinese culture I can say I do not warm up or even respect it. Here in my opinion is the weakest link for some one seeking a relationship with a Chinese woman.

But will American's figure this out?

[/list][/list][/list]
    “If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline bejarano

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2014, 11:02:49 AM »
    I lived in China for two years and will be going back in August.

There are no shortage of Chinese women for western men but there a shortage for the millions of peasant migrant workers and farmers who need a wife but cannot find one as young women these days do not want a life of back breaking servitude.

If a westerner went to China to find a bride, they would find one pretty easily. A nice girl with a good education, a lady, young beautiful.

Tall, slim, big boobs, nice arse, curvy, stick thin? They are all available over there, a great place to find a wife. And I didn't like that look of woman until I went to live there.

Offline bejarano

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »

When you get to China you are going to see that there are not very many women that you'd see as attractive.

You are talking complete and utter rot, I doubt you have ever been.  (:) And even if you have, you are still talking complete and utter rot/

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2014, 11:42:22 AM »

When you get to China you are going to see that there are not very many women that you'd see as attractive.

You are talking complete and utter rot, I doubt you have ever been.  (:) And even if you have, you are still talking complete and utter rot/

begarano, if you read Andrew's posts you'll find he's mostly making stuff up. I'm sure he and Manny (site owner) do it to increase the post count.

My ex was from Shanghai. Been to China more than a few times with friends who have business in the country. I started going with my ex to visit her family. Been with friends who have business in China. Mostly in Shanghai and farther south. Never was that impressed with Beijing, hated the pollution.
    andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Ste

• RIP
    • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
    • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
    • Trips: 5-10
    « Reply #32 on: May 28, 2014, 12:25:30 PM »
    Food's better......
    O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Jeffery

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2014, 01:56:30 PM »

Andrew, with a country of more than 1.3 BILLION people, roughly how many are you talking about when you say "not very many women that you'd see as attractive."

Are you thinking maybe  22 or 25 women, 250-300 women, or possibly more?

Offline bejarano

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2014, 02:27:46 PM »

begarano, if you read Andrew's posts you'll find he's mostly making stuff up. I'm sure he and Manny (site owner) do it to increase the post count.

My ex was from Shanghai. Been to China more than a few times with friends who have business in the country. I started going with my ex to visit her family. Been with friends who have business in China. Mostly in Shanghai and farther south. Never was that impressed with Beijing, hated the pollution.

Beijing and Shanghai are megacities - pollution, tons of people, mad traffic - there is life there for sure. I lived out in Henan though and they used to say that Shanghai girls are the bossiest in China? Is that true? I only dated Henan girls and they were great! :)

Offline AJ

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2014, 02:27:54 PM »
    West Ukraine the wife hunter never pulled a lot of women out of there.  Mainly because they grew up learning Ukrainian and English and easily got jobs in the EU.  South and East women grew up learning Russian and Ukrainian and not English.  So if they want to go West they needed a husband.

So a significantly greater number of western Ukrainians speak English versus , southern , central, and eastern Ukraine?
     :D

That just seems a bit far fetched as the main reason...
    for the lack of MOB in western ukraine.
     :popcorn:

That was NOT what kievstar was saying.
    What he was telling us was that because the women in the west were more likely than their eastern sisters to learn English they were more likely to be able to move westward under their own steam. Women whose education tended to orient them eastward were more likely to need to move westward through marriage because for them it was the easier way to proceed.

Without reference to Ukraine specifically, going back many years, that was pretty much my observation too but applied to the FSU as a whole. Having English as a strong language is a great enabler of movement, for example, for younger people it opens the doors to university study in Europe that would not be possible if one's languages did not include English. A person with Russian skills will tend to be forced to study (and work) in Russian speaking areas - or get out by means of marriage.

I did ask it as a question to let Kievstar clarify?

It's fine you took at shot at it.
     The theory is of course sound , as someone multilingual in a more universally used language is going to be able to be more mobile and employable elsewhere.
     So yes *under their own steam*

It all fits right up to the POINT i was questioning kievstar over.
    which was English level itself that reason. for them more likely to migrate under their own steam ;)
      Are western Ukrainian women more likely to learn English (yes if they did so they would be more mobile)than their sisters in Kiev, Odesa, Kharkov, Dnepropetrovsk, Yalta etc.?

It may be true, but at this time I'm not buying it.
    In fact if English level was the main bases, i feel more would be employed from Kiev than most anywhere else combined.

While I wouldn't  doubt more western Ukrainians work in the EU, the odds are significantly higher that it is due to a large polish ukrainian mix, in the entire area dating back decades.Family and business connections in the region.The fact many people commute back and forth regularly between poland and western ukraine with products/goods,,,and natural connections thru such interaction.
    There is an ease of doing business , or even tourism, bewteen the two regions not rivaled with other EU countries, and the fundamental reasons for that is not English language levels, but shared borders and often shared ethnic ,business ,cultural and family ties ..

Hey , I certainly could be wrong,
     but having lived in the general region, and observing such family and business interactions between cezch rep and western Ukrainian.
    I'll not take English being more predominant in western Ukraine as being either true,or the main reason ,until something can be shown to support it.
     :innocent:

Offline bejarano

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »

Andrew, with a country of more than 1.3 BILLION people, roughly how many are you talking about when you say "not very many women that you'd see as attractive."

Are you thinking maybe  22 or 25 women, 250-300 women, or possibly more?

While there are ugly women (even in Russia that was the case) there was loads of nice girls in China, like you have said, when the numbers are such - it is a mathematical impossibility for it not to be. Like I said, before I went there, I didn't have much time for that Asian look whereas now - thats all I like!  :laugh:

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 02:43:31 PM »

Beijing and Shanghai are megacities - pollution, tons of people, mad traffic - there is life there for sure. I lived out in Henan though and they used to say that Shanghai girls are the bossiest in China? Is that true? I only dated Henan girls and they were great! :)

Pollution in Shanghai is bad. IMHO not as bad as Beijing but others disagree. At times it certainly is a madhouse with traffic and congestion. I was surprised by how many foreigners I ran into. Shanghai is full of westerners probably far more than in Moscow and certainly Ukraine. 

My ex could be quite bossy, very strong willed. Most of the women I met in Shanghai were professionals so being strong willed/bossy was the only way that'd get ahead. Shanghai being the business capital of China and the chase for a good income tends to drive the Chinese in places like Shanghai to be aggressive.
    andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

Offline Maxx

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 02:56:18 PM »
    KenC's new wife is Chinese. Her name is Ping. He said she is nice, mature and easy going. They are quite a bit closer in age than the his last wife Lena.

Offline Halo

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »
    While I wouldn't  doubt more western Ukrainians work in the EU, the odds are significantly higher that it is due to a large polish ukrainian mix, in the entire area dating back decades.Family and business connections in the region.

No, it is because the mentality is very different.  Ukrainians from that region have always emigrated to the West.  Far, far more so than did Ukrainians from the Russian Empire.

Western Ukrainians work all over the EU, and even in North America illegally.  It is the way it has always been.
    After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
      • Articles About Almost Anything!
    « Reply #40 on: May 28, 2014, 03:27:11 PM »
    Westcoast, as you know I do not make stuff up. Why would I? Unlike you I do stuff.

Having been to Shanghai, I am able to write as I saw and experienced. Of course there are many attractive women. Hard to imagine otherwise in one of the richest cities in China with a huge and relatively wealthy population.

But just as every other place in the world, most women look 'average'. Coz, well, that's how the world is.

Westcoast, get out of your armchair, do something with the few years you have ahead of you, don't be the bloke who dies and wishes he had done more with his final years than buy the new Lay Z Boy with the built in fridge.
    ...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline AJ

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2014, 04:38:36 PM »
    While I wouldn't  doubt more western Ukrainians work in the EU, the odds are significantly higher that it is due to a large polish ukrainian mix, in the entire area dating back decades.Family and business connections in the region.

No, it is because the mentality is very different.  Ukrainians from that region have always emigrated to the West.  Far, far more so than did Ukrainians from the Russian Empire.

Western Ukrainians work all over the EU, and even in North America illegally. It is the way it has always been.

Thank you Halo for the correction.
    So its mostly mentality, and frankly if its always been that way, then naturally there would  be more family and business connections as well. Its not from some  higher level of English.
    My personal take came from,seeing many Ukrainians working in czech rep.(Brno).or Italy, and often from western Ukraine ,  certainly no higher level of English ,as often they had very little, but knew Italian or Czech obviously.

Offline Manny

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2014, 05:53:09 PM »
    Westcoast, get out of your armchair, do something with the few years you have ahead of you, don't be the bloke who dies and wishes he had done more with his final years than buy the new Lay Z Boy with the built in fridge.

To be fair to Westy, he has told us on other topics of his personal experience in that part of the world.

Its great Bejarano has stopped by again, especially with his recent experience, as I am heading to China this year (on business - not women hunting I might add). Always nice to get the opinions of actual travellers.  :nod:

I am away for a day or two from about now, it'd be great if bejarano stuck around as I think the whole China subject is one that will grow legs as tensions in Ukraine rise.
    Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »

To be fair to Westy, he has told us on other topics of his personal experience in that part of the world.

Its great Bejarano has stopped by again, especially with his recent experience, as I am heading to China this year (on business - not women hunting I might add). Always nice to get the opinions of actual travellers.  :nod:

I am away for a day or two from about now, it'd be great if bejarano stuck around as I think the whole China subject is one that will grow legs as tensions in Ukraine rise.

Manny if you do go to China check ahead for the pollution levels in the city you're visiting. Wear a mask if needed, many of the locals do.

This is the real time air pollution levels from the US Embassy in Beijing. Don't trust the air pollution info given by the Chinese government, even locals use the info from the US Embassy. Shanghai air quality index.

A group of expatriates walk along the Bund as they distribute face masks to pedestrians to raise awareness of air pollution in downtown Shanghai Jan 24, 2013

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/photo/2013-01/25/content_16174310.htm

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
    « Reply #44 on: May 28, 2014, 06:26:01 PM »
    Hard to look attractive with the smog mask on :chuckle:
    There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Larry

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2014, 06:32:15 PM »
    Manny mentioned one of the reasons guys might start to go to China to find wives: there are lots of slender girls there.  In 2003 or 2004 I taught at a tax seminar.  Most of the people who attended were young people who worked either in the big 4 public accounting firms or in the tax departments of large corporations.  I distinctly remember first walking into the auditorium on the first morning of the seminar.  The place seemed to be filled with young, incredibly slender East Asian girls.  By the end of the week I remember thinking that there is American slender and East Asian slender; they're on different scales.

A few years later I dated some Chinese girls who had immigrated to the US.  They all had beautiful hair. One was slender while the others were incredibly slender.  I met one of them at a seminar.  I thought she was in her late twenties, but when I got to know her she told me she was 41.  She was so slender that she bought size zero skirts and had the waist taken in. Chinese women seem generally to age gracefully.

I never thought about going to China to look for a wife.  I never thought about looking abroad at all before a friend of mine began telling me about his FSUW search.  But soon after beginning my search I was hooked on FSUW.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
    « Reply #46 on: May 28, 2014, 07:02:52 PM »
    Manny mentioned one of the reasons guys might start to go to China to find wives: there are lots of slender girls there.  In 2003 or 2004 I taught at a tax seminar.  Most of the people who attended were young people who worked either in the big 4 public accounting firms or in the tax departments of large corporations.  I distinctly remember first walking into the auditorium on the first morning of the seminar.  The place seemed to be filled with young, incredibly slender East Asian girls.  By the end of the week I remember thinking that there is American slender and East Asian slender; they're on different scales.

A few years later I dated some Chinese girls who had immigrated to the US.  They all had beautiful hair. One was slender while the others were incredibly slender.  I met one of them at a seminar.  I thought she was in her late twenties, but when I got to know her she told me she was 41.  She was so slender that she bought size zero skirts and had the waist taken in. Chinese women seem generally to age gracefully.

I never thought about going to China to look for a wife.  I never thought about looking abroad at all before a friend of mine began telling me about his FSUW search.  But soon after beginning my search I was hooked on FSUW.
    Is it just me or does Larry really like "slender" women?  :)

Welcome back btw  tiphat
    Two Favorites:
    1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
    2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Larry

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »

Welcome back btw  tiphat

I really really likes 'em.  And fortunately FSU has lots and lots.

Thanks.

Offline Manny

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2014, 07:21:30 PM »

Its is the huge selling point isn't it? Be it in Russia/Ukraine or Asia. Guys like slim because our local women usually aren't. The ones that are, are often so heavily pursued that they get an inflated sense of self-worth, which creates it's own problems in a relationship.

If I want to buy a Corvette, I wont look in England or Belgium. In either country the car will be overpriced because its imported, "special" and different. If I wanted a Corvette, I would go to the US where I can take my pick of low mileage examples.........

Even after import costs, light conversions and local fees, the US car will cost less by the time it is on my drive than a local one would.

Similar, no?  :hidechair:

Offline Halo

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2014, 07:30:09 PM »
    I suppose so, if women are a commodity to be purchased like automobiles. 
    After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Registration