The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Chinese Women: The New Ukraine?  (Read 36731 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Chinese Women: The New Ukraine?
« on: April 15, 2013, 03:00:24 PM »
Quote from: AJ
I  logged into Anastasia for fun right now. My profile has no photo, yet about 10 women per minute invite me to video chat (of course at a cost of about a 1 USD per minute).

Tell me, what are the odds that most of the invites are not coming from those being paid to invite me to chat?

It's up to about 90 now, with lots of Chinese as well. Of course all those young Chinese girls are logged in ready to chat without pay..at anywhere between 2 and 4 am there. :lol:

I suppose they are only hoping to win that Odessa car contest.

Aweb doing Chinese women now? That's a big market! Or will be........
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Zachris

• Spouses Country: Uzbekistan
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Chinese Women: The New Ukraine?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »
Really?

Given the one child policy and the over preference for sons over daughters, I would think China would be one of the worst places on Earth to seek a bride.

But, if AWeb is going there must be a market. What am I missing?
Numquam tribuere ad malitia quod sufficienter explicatur stultitia.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Никогда не приписывать злобы, которое может быть адекватно объяснено глупостью.

Offline Larry

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 04:41:11 PM »
The one-child policy has been in force long enough to have made an impact on the male/female ratio in China, but I read a recent article that said there were many educated, professional women over the age of 26 or so who were unmarried.  Here it is:

Over 27? Unmarried? Female? In China, you could be labelled a "leftover woman" by the state - but some professional Chinese women these days are happy being single.

Huang Yuanyuan is working late at her job in a Beijing radio newsroom. She's also stressing out about the fact that the next day, she'll turn 29.

"Scary. I'm one year older," she says. "I'm nervous."

Why?

"Because I'm still single. I have no boyfriend. I'm under big pressure to get married."

Huang is a confident, personable young woman with a good salary, her own apartment, an MA from one of China's top universities, and a wealth of friends.

Still, she knows that these days, single, urban, educated women like her in China are called "sheng nu" or "leftover women" - and it stings.

Who are you calling "leftover"? Huang Yuanyuan (front) and her colleague Wang Tingting
She feels pressure from her friends and her family, and the message gets hammered in by China's state-run media too.

Even the website of the government's supposedly feminist All-China Women's Federation featured articles about "leftover women" - until enough women complained.

State-run media started using the term "sheng nu" in 2007. That same year the government warned that China's gender imbalance - caused by selective abortions because of the one-child policy - was a serious problem.

National Bureau of Statistics data shows there are now about 20 million more men under 30 than women under 30.

"Ever since 2007, the state media have aggressively disseminated this term in surveys, and news reports, and columns, and cartoons and pictures, basically stigmatising educated women over the age of 27 or 30 who are still single," says Leta Hong-Fincher, an American doing a sociology PhD at Tsinghua University in Beijing.

Census figures for China show that around one in five women aged 25-29 is unmarried.

The proportion of unmarried men that age is higher - over a third. But that doesn't mean they will easily match up, since Chinese men tend to "marry down", both in terms of age and educational attainment.

"There is an opinion that A-quality guys will find B-quality women, B-quality guys will find C-quality women, and C-quality men will find D-quality women," says Huang Yuanyuan. "The people left are A-quality women and D-quality men. So if you are a leftover woman, you are A-quality."

But it's the "A-quality" of intelligent and educated women that the government most wants to procreate, according to Leta Hong-Fincher. She cites a statement on population put out by the State Council - China's cabinet - in 2007.

"It said China faced unprecedented population pressures, and that the overall quality of the population is too low, so the country has to upgrade the quality of the population."

Some local governments in China have taken to organising matchmaking events, where educated young women can meet eligible bachelors.

The goal is not only to improve the gene pool, believes Fincher, but to get as many men paired off and tied down in marriage as possible - to reduce, as far as possible, the army of restless, single men who could cause social havoc.

But the tendency to look down on women of a certain age who aren't married isn't exclusively an attitude promoted by the government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21320560

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 04:51:21 PM »
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 09:20:07 PM »
What am I missing?

Thin women from a poor country.

There are ebooks already..........

Yeah but you would have to be attracted to Asian women. I'm not one of them. Having been to Asian countries, I can safely say my interest in females lie elsewhere.

Offline AJ

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 12:18:24 PM »

Manny -
yes, seems they have jumped in there..
No idea how the affiliate network was set up , but seems they have it in place
and operating.
It would seem a big emmerging market

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 02:42:28 PM »

Manny -
yes, seems they have jumped in there..
No idea how the affiliate network was set up , but seems they have it in place
and operating.
It would seem a big emmerging market

Its a huge market. As Russia once was. Men have been going there for years and quietly importing wives but it has never hit the mainstream media much for some reason. Anyone who has been to Scandinavia knows those guys fondness for those type of women. You cant miss them.

Donho, I never liked the idea of Oriental women that much (from what we generally see here), but look at some of Psy's music videos (OK, he is from Korea but similar genetic), some of the women in those are smokin with very western features.

A pal of mine goes to China very often on business. Japan too. It seems many of those women like us. Disapproving locals call them "bananas" - yellow on the outside, white on the inside.

Its probably the new MOB market as the doors of the FSU close.

Offline Bill

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 03:46:36 PM »
Manny have you been to California or Hawaii? Chinese everywhere. Even before Hong Kong reverted back to China there were large inflows of Chinese, now there's even more Chinese in the US. Apparently it's easy for Chinese to get a visa to the US. US colleges and universities are full of Chinese students.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »
Manny have you been to California or Hawaii? Chinese everywhere. Even before Hong Kong reverted back to China there were large inflows of Chinese, now there's even more Chinese in the US. Apparently it's easy for Chinese to get a visa to the US. US colleges and universities are full of Chinese students.

Same here in England Bill, it's an easy entry route for Visa, which the UK is meant to be making harder, I know many chinese who live in Birmingham who use this as way of entry, yes birmingham of all places in the world they still choose to move to ;D

Although I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it's not ethical, honest.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Bill

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 04:12:18 PM »

Same here in England Bill, it's an easy entry route for Visa, which the UK is meant to be making harder, I know many chinese who live in Birmingham who use this as way of entry, yes birmingham of all places in the world they still choose to move to ;D

Although I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it's not ethical, honest.

I'm told, I've no way to judge the credibility, that for many Chinese American colleges and universities are the ticket to jobs in the US and citizenship. If America doesn't work out they can go back to China and an American education can lead to high paying jobs in China.

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 06:31:40 PM »
Aweb aka Anastasia Date has been set up in China for at least 3 or 4 years.  You guys just noticed that?  They have also been in Africa for about the same time, and South America (as AmoLatina) for about the same time.

For guys who actually want to take a tour, the tours to South America and China are quite a bit less than the tours to Ukraine (big surprise, right?).
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 01:39:18 AM »
Anteros, taking the tours is not what it is all about.

Adate are at the start of an ongoing PR campaign with the purpose of altering perceptions of their business. An interesting point that has been coming out is that they understand that for the overwhelming majority of clients a person to person meeting will never happen.

As I noted elsewhere I am sure that they will be deprecating the use of the words marriage and bride in relation to their business. They may not be the first to take a move to a new paradigm but I wager that they actually have the balls to pull it off.

The words from their new mouthpiece are very similar to those that were uttered before by others. Given what I have seen of the public pronouncements I bet that I know how the women will be motivated to chat online without ever being paid a wage. ;-)

The upshot of this is that place becomes largely irrelevant, Internet access and a degree of economic needs are much more important. China needs have no fears of an exodus of nubile young women to the US. This is not about marriage.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Anteros

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 03:25:27 PM »
Anteros, taking the tours is not what it is all about.

Agreed.  Tours are for some guys, not for me.  I remember a few years ago I was corresponding to a lady on Adate and expressed my concern that she would be at one of the socials.  She wrote emphatically that as soon as they started sending her text msgs to invite her, she turned her phone off.  She had heard all about them and did not want any part of it, she only wanted to meet somebody who she had extensive correspondence and phone calls with.

I only mentioned tours because it is a way for some guys to get over their fears and get their feet wet.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 09:54:59 PM »

Don ho, I never liked the idea of Oriental women that much (from what we generally see here), but look at some of Posy's music videos (OK, he is from Korea but similar genetic), some of the women in those are smoking with very western features.

I tuned in to that Posy guy's video after I heard it received one billion views, a first on You Tube. But it didn't do anything for me. Like I said I've been there, and only my little Human Heater kept my attention. I remember what it was like SO many years ago, walking the lonely streets of Ukraine, and saying to myself how glad I was to of taken a walk outside. Not a day went by in those months spent in country that I didn't see someone that got my fancy.

It seems many of those women like us. Disapproving locals call them "bananas" - yellow on the outside, white on the inside.

Vendelo referred to them as Twinkies in his TR. Maybe bananas work in the UK, and Twinkies work in the US.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 11:21:56 PM »
What am I missing?

Thin women from a poor country.

China, Is in some ways like Russia and Ukraine. A wide disparity between those who have and have not ~ between those in power or in the upper echelon's of businesses and the rest of the population. As well as a healthy dose of corruption and nepotism.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »
Its a huge market. As Russia once was. Men have been going there for years and quietly importing wives but it has never hit the mainstream media much for some reason. Anyone who has been to Scandinavia knows those guys fondness for those type of women. You cant miss them.

Donho, I never liked the idea of Oriental women that much (from what we generally see here), but look at some of Psy's music videos (OK, he is from Korea but similar genetic), some of the women in those are smokin with very western features.

A pal of mine goes to China very often on business. Japan too. It seems many of those women like us. Disapproving locals call them "bananas" - yellow on the outside, white on the inside.

Its probably the new MOB market as the doors of the FSU close.

Well, I knew it wouldn't be long before this came up again, and I think we are pretty much there. So I woke the topic up.

Here are some thoughts:

• Guys - except the most determined, affluent and well-read - haven't been going to Russia itself for about five years now. Everything in this industry has focused on Ukraine.
  • The reason for that is women in Russia are spread out across the largest country in the world (Meaning no multiple women visits). A visa is needed, and men like easy, and many have less money now. So they go to Ukraine instead. Smaller country, lots of people, cheaper to stay there, no visas, full "industry" set up to scam them help them to meet women.
  • Some thinking guys (the only recent marriages we saw) broke the mould and went to the Stans and Belarus. Probably better places for the FSU woman thing now in honesty, but the logistics put many men off (the ones who thought getting a $150 Russian visa was a hardship). Less easy to get to, hostility to Americans in some places, visas again, so just a general PIA.
  • Ukraine is now politically unstable. It is looking likely that Crimea will revert to Russian territory, and the rest will go through a period of unrest before joining the EU. I think EU membership will be accelerated by America outside forces; and the moment that happens Ukraine will be a closed shop for women. And I mean overnight. I saw it happen in the Baltics with my own eyes - and it was fast. Foreign looking women will get on a bus and go to London, Paris, Amsterdam, Milan or wherever they like and meet guys naturally. No need for overweight, two decade older guys from Wisconsin any more. Similar aged guys in Dresden or Brussels are very happy to meet them.  :nod:
  • So where does that leave the so-called "Mail Order Bride" industry? 90% of it is internet fantasy, so college girls in Ukraine and elsewhere will keep writing to middle aged guys with no passports on fantasy pay-per-letter sites and make bolshoye djenghi doing so. Nothing new there.
  • But what for the small percentage of guys who will actually get on a plane and plan to make it happen? The door is slammed shut in the Baltics, Bulgaria, Romania and Poland. Russia, Belarus and the Stans are not "easy" for anything but the very serious guy who can afford to visit one woman at a time. The rest need someplace else.
  • Now for reasons we need not argue here, that place needs to be quite poor, not black and not Muslim. It needs lots of women, and they need to be slim to cater for most guys tastes. Again we find ourselves at the door of China.   
  • The MOB industry knows what we want before we do - it is their job to know that. Many are now starting to face China. Aweb are running ads for Chinese girls, as are A Foreign Affair (Shenzhen and Chongqing tours already happening) as are Blossoms. The industry is changing focus. The industry has mostly left Russia, it is still active in Ukraine, but for how long? The business brains are thinking ahead, and they are all thinking the same way: China.
  • Anyone who travels in Europe frequently cannot have failed to notice the explosion of guys with Oriental looking wives. Some will probably be Thai, but many are Chinese. Guys from Scandinavia, Germany and Holland are increasingly marrying oriental ladies. While some guys in the UK and America do marry these ladies already, the "industry" and information resources as we know it with the Russian speaking market is not really as slick yet with the Chinese (or Thai) market. There are no major forums devoted to the subject for example.

I think the doors to the FSU are closing unless the guy has a passport (which many Americans don't), and he has a decent disposable income and the time and inclination to travel multiple times to places that need a visa and visit one woman at a time. For those that can do that, the FSU is still a goldmine.

For those that are not inclined to do that, or cannot afford to do so, and for those that want an easy-peasy only-one-visit-and-import-a-wife (which is many) scenario, China seems a likely option.

That said, I am planning to start to do some some business in China this year and will likely be visiting there in October. I have been reading tons of books already on the culture, the language, and from what I have read already, I think getting in tune with that culture will be hard for many westerners.

So although the MOB industry is shifting from Russian speaking countries to China (and to a lesser extent Thailand, South Korea, Japan and Hong Kong) I think guys have a bigger learning curve to "get" that culture. And how can you marry a woman whose culture you don't get? I don't think you can successfully. As with Russian speaking countries, I think you need to take an interest in, and learn, her culture, some basic language and certainly the alphabet. As you expect her to do with yours.

Chinese girls are the new Russian girls. You read it here first.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 06:56:25 PM »
Yeah well only one problem with all of that. Chinese women don't do a thing for me, but FSUW totally do so it looks like I'm "stuck".

Oh well. I'll just have to do what I'll have to do to be successful.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 07:17:51 PM »
That was good read, some true, some funny.
So when you changing the name?
Let see how.
Asian Adventures,

How about South America?
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline bigdaddy71978

• Spouses Country: Unknown yet
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 09:42:07 PM »
I'm agreeing with Guppy. I'm not into Chinese/Asian ladies at all. If you want something bad enough there will be a way to get it.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 04:31:51 AM »
I'm agreeing with Guppy. I'm not into Chinese/Asian ladies at all. If you want something bad enough there will be a way to get it.
As has been said many times before, if you can date women of the level you search in your own country, then it is possible. Many women will follow you
for love. If all above happens as stated, it changes the game.
But there will still be beautiful slavic women. Not all are on Mob sites.

Also online dating is growing at a very fast pace all over the world.
All is possible, if realistic in abilities and goals.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 05:16:19 AM »
As others have already noted, women from Russia, etc are 'popular' because they 'look like us'. I reckon the Thai bride thing was largely a hangover from the Vietnam war and a generation of middle aged Americans who remembered with affection the women they paid for company in their younger years and who wanted to get themselves a LOFM with a good attitude.

There is already a shortage of Chinese women and Chinese guys head to Vietnam and Cambodia for women who look like they do.

I think the diversification that you are seeing is simply the reuse of existing assets within the business of the large MOB businesses - it is not any kind of new frontier. Just adding in new markets to pick up the numbers.

When you get to China you are going to see that there are not very many women that you'd see as attractive. If you think there is a culture gap between women from Europe/Eurasia and the US then you've seen nothing until you come across Chinese people. These are not the same folks who serve your Chinese takeaway (who probably come from Vietnam anyway. :) )

The real next move is where Aweb/Adate are going, what they call 'international dating' which is largely destination agnostic. Fantasy fulfillment without regard to the location of the parties with the service provider managing the database and communications.

Offline kievstar

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 10:52:24 AM »
You can add Africa and Asia for Aweb.  They have been heavily involved with these regions for 3 plus years now.  Plus South America.

One thing for certain being an American it will be tougher to meet RW in East and South Ukraine.  West Ukraine the wife hunter never pulled a lot of women out of there.  Mainly because they grew up learning Ukrainian and English and easily got jobs in the EU.  South and East women grew up learning Russian and Ukrainian and not English.  So if they want to go West they needed a husband.

Offline AJ

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
West Ukraine the wife hunter never pulled a lot of women out of there.  Mainly because they grew up learning Ukrainian and English and easily got jobs in the EU.  South and East women grew up learning Russian and Ukrainian and not English.  So if they want to go West they needed a husband.

So a significantly greater number of western Ukrainians speak English versus , southern , central, and eastern Ukraine?
 :D

That just seems a bit far fetched as the main reason...
for the lack of MOB in western ukraine.
 :popcorn:

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »
West Ukraine the wife hunter never pulled a lot of women out of there.  Mainly because they grew up learning Ukrainian and English and easily got jobs in the EU.  South and East women grew up learning Russian and Ukrainian and not English.  So if they want to go West they needed a husband.

So a significantly greater number of western Ukrainians speak English versus , southern , central, and eastern Ukraine?

When I was in western Ukraine, I found much less English, than in central and southern Ukraine

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 03:27:12 PM »

That was NOT what kievstar was saying.
What he was telling us was that because the women in the west were more likely than their eastern sisters to learn English they were more likely to be able to move westward under their own steam. Women whose education tended to orient them eastward were more likely to need to move westward through marriage because for them it was the easier way to proceed.

Without reference to Ukraine specifically, going back many years, that was pretty much my observation too but applied to the FSU as a whole. Having English as a strong language is a great enabler of movement, for example, for younger people it opens the doors to university study in Europe that would not be possible if one's languages did not include English. A person with Russian skills will tend to be forced to study (and work) in Russian speaking areas - or get out by means of marriage.

Registration