The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Gifts when meeting with RW?  (Read 40076 times)

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
Re: VIRTUAL (WTF!) Gifts when meeting with RW?
« Reply #350 on: April 28, 2019, 01:25:06 PM »
Then today on RUA we discover that Olga Mouse that Roars had the same WTF reaction to so-called virtual gifts that I instinctually knew would engender thoughts of classic Cheap Man syndrome in a normal smart well traveled and intelligent RUA woman with a true Russian Soul - that this virtual gift guy(s) is a Cheap Skate.  All is well with the world again.

Cuffy, I wasn't saying anything about Cheap Men above. But "virtual gifts" are for me:

a) a mixture of two different love languages (appreciation \ encouraging words is one language, diving gifts is another);

b) a signal a man is not in good terms with budgeting and financial planning (who in his right mind would pay money, tokens, points, credits,  :rouble-smile: etc. - to send just a JPG  :pointlaugh: file?)

IMO, a man who invests real monetary value, knowing that the recipient at another end will get a gift with no monetary value has a higher risk of making unwise financial decisions, having debts, and all other sort of financial troubles that I don't want to drag him out. Just saying...  :biggrin:

Olga, I think most women think like you. Men can rationalize all they want why virtual gifts are satisfactory. Men who understand women will have more success with women.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
Gifts when meeting with RW?
« Reply #351 on: April 28, 2019, 05:37:12 PM »
I usually brought chocolate and picture books of my area. I would
have several anecdotes about each photo and use the stories and
photos as an ice breaker.

I also brought things that FSUW didn't have very often like marshmallows 
and hot chocolate mix. I would make hot chocolate and then melt the
marshmallows on top. It was fairly popular with FSUW and VERY popular
with kids.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline yankee

Re: Gifts when meeting with RW?
« Reply #352 on: April 28, 2019, 06:33:19 PM »
I usually brought chocolate and picture books of my area. I would
have several anecdotes about each photo and use the stories and
photos as an ice breaker.

I also brought things that FSUW didn't have very often like marshmallows 
and hot chocolate mix. I would make hot chocolate and then melt the
marshmallows on top. It was fairly popular with FSUW and VERY popular
with kids.

One trip I brought Maine Lobsters.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #353 on: April 29, 2019, 12:02:47 PM »

Olga, I think most women think like you. Men can rationalize all they want why virtual gifts are satisfactory. Men who understand women will have more success with women.

Billy, the thinking is not strong in you, is it?

1) Olga clearly showed she understood the phenomenon -she had read up on it and commented about it.
2) Nobody, least of all myself, suggested that the ONLY type of gifts to share in a relationship were virtual ones.

You can choose to not bother to learn something, that's fine in this context, after all, you have no need of dating sites these days do you? However, understanding why gifts are appreciated, no matter their source, is something that you have clearly closed your mind to and that is probably not going in your favour, whether or not you have noticed the effects.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #354 on: April 29, 2019, 01:01:03 PM »

One trip I took chicken fillets, mixed chinese vegetables (pak choi, bean sprouts, etc.), a wok, soy sauce and some chopsticks and cooking spoons. We had a Chinese stir fry for dinner.........
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #355 on: April 29, 2019, 01:53:31 PM »
Yes, but that was an actual, thoughtful, gift

To me, sending these 'virtual gifts' is  a pastime for losers..

Olya has it BANG on and has clearly thought this matter through

I NEVER have - and never  will = send / accept such 'gifts'  :puke:
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #356 on: April 29, 2019, 02:54:32 PM »
I usually picked a small but thoughtful gift from what I had learned about the woman off her profile and/or letters to me.

Nothing expensive, but most of the time it had a connection to the person i was meeting.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #357 on: April 29, 2019, 04:46:56 PM »
Then today on RUA we discover that Olga Mouse that Roars had the same WTF reaction to so-called virtual gifts that I instinctually knew would engender thoughts of classic Cheap Man syndrome in a normal smart well traveled and intelligent RUA woman with a true Russian Soul - that this virtual gift guy(s) is a Cheap Skate.  All is well with the world again.

Cuffy, I wasn't saying anything about Cheap Men above. But "virtual gifts" are for me:

a) a mixture of two different love languages (appreciation \ encouraging words is one language, diving gifts is another);

b) a signal a man is not in good terms with budgeting and financial planning (who in his right mind would pay money, tokens, points, credits,  :rouble-smile: etc. - to send just a JPG  :pointlaugh: file?)

IMO, a man who invests real monetary value, knowing that the recipient at another end will get a gift with no monetary value has a higher risk of making unwise financial decisions, having debts, and all other sort of financial troubles that I don't want to drag him out. Just saying...  :biggrin:

Interesting that our practical Olga Mouse that Roars has become quite gracious and only focused on the impractical financial judgment of men who spend money on virtual gifts while completely sidestepping my existential crisis mentioned above ;-)

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #358 on: April 29, 2019, 04:53:44 PM »

One trip I took chicken fillets, mixed chinese vegetables (pak choi, bean sprouts, etc.), a wok, soy sauce and some chopsticks and cooking spoons. We had a Chinese stir fry for dinner.........

Kool - I love my hand hammered wok - even make wild maine blueberry pancakes, Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwiches, Boiled Italian 4 Cheese Ravioli, Seared Ahi Tuna in Toasted Sesame Oil and Stir fry Korean and Chinese chicken/pork in it!

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #359 on: April 29, 2019, 04:59:43 PM »

When I first read this I thought, why would you bring these items on a trip to China (which you mentioned that you have traveled several times)?  Had to redirect my geographical perspective.   :chuckle:   :duh:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #360 on: April 30, 2019, 06:03:51 AM »

When I first read this I thought, why would you bring these items on a trip to China (which you mentioned that you have traveled several times)?  Had to redirect my geographical perspective.   :chuckle:   :duh:

I am not entirely sure that I would be transporting chunks of chicken from the UK to middle Russia. In terms of stench creation potential, I doubt there's a lot of difference between Russia and China .

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #361 on: April 30, 2019, 02:39:18 PM »

Ward Cleaver brought a fencing foil.
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline yankee

« Reply #362 on: April 30, 2019, 02:47:17 PM »

The customs people in France were envious, so I don't think I foiled this time.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #363 on: April 30, 2019, 03:31:27 PM »

What happened to him? last I knew he was being mugged by some Russian bint and had fallen into Stockholm Syndrome.

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
« Reply #364 on: May 01, 2019, 11:32:49 AM »

What happened to him? last I knew he was being mugged by some Russian bint and had fallen into Stockholm Syndrome.
I saw him popping up on Facebook not too long ago. Haven't spoken to him in ages though.