The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Gifts when meeting with RW?  (Read 40198 times)

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Gifts when meeting with RW?
« Reply #325 on: February 27, 2015, 10:22:55 AM »
Never heard of Interflora?

Offline Justmd

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #326 on: February 27, 2015, 09:53:46 PM »
I can honestly tell you I have never bought a women a bunch of flowers during all my trips to Eastern Europe!
I have not even bought my wife a bunch of flowers! (Shame on me) Always been to busy! Im always getting nagged about that. Of course I take her shopping:)

But a good way to test if the women really is interested in "You" or a "Gift" tell her you bought some chocolates but you left them on the train or something :) If she puts her nose up in the air its best to get rid of here there and then :loving:
Wow. You're obviously a gent.

Sometimes I was meeting 5/6 women over the weekend, I couldn't afford flowers for all of them!  :smokin:

How in the hell did you meet 5/6 women over a weekend?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #327 on: March 01, 2015, 08:59:04 AM »
I can honestly tell you I have never bought a women a bunch of flowers during all my trips to Eastern Europe!
I have not even bought my wife a bunch of flowers! (Shame on me) Always been to busy! Im always getting nagged about that. Of course I take her shopping:)

But a good way to test if the women really is interested in "You" or a "Gift" tell her you bought some chocolates but you left them on the train or something :) If she puts her nose up in the air its best to get rid of here there and then :loving:

Sometimes I was meeting 5/6 women over the weekend, I couldn't afford flowers for all of them!
  :smokin:

I wondered the same thing  :nod: 

The most women I met was 6 women but that was from Friday to Sunday evening in the same city, L'viv (Lvov). And yes I gave them all a simple gift, chocolates from Belgium. Total cost €30,= (Okay one woman did not get any chocs) I gave them to my wingman who gave the chocs to his wife and daughter.

My thought if you can not afford this sort of outlay than perhaps you are pursuing the wrong sort of fish.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #328 on: March 02, 2015, 12:30:36 AM »

On a two day weekend he could meet two on one day and three on the next,
if you count Friday afternoon to Sunday he could meet 1, 2 and 2.
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Justmd

« Reply #329 on: March 02, 2015, 10:45:23 PM »

I gave all my time/plans to one lady when traveling to another country...can't imagine 5/6.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #330 on: March 05, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »

I gave all my time/plans to one lady when traveling to another country...can't imagine 5/6.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the WOVO plan. But for some the fields are too big, for others (myself included) I did not want to build a relationship on the internet (skype). It is question of approach and attack.

In the end though my now wife was an introduction from a mutual friend in Kiev.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #331 on: March 15, 2015, 11:56:02 PM »
I used to sit on VK copy pasting the same message to hundreds of women a few days before I arrived in Russia :) A little like a mail shot, thats usually a 5/8% response. 500 messages can easily give 25 women to meet over a weekend :8) it was just fun at the time and an opportunity to meet new people, I wasn't looking for marriage.
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #332 on: March 15, 2015, 11:57:34 PM »

Sometimes I was meeting 5/6 women over the weekend, I couldn't afford flowers for all of them! :smokin:

But now you only have one, I assume, so what's wrong now?

Im probably to lazy(((( There are three flower shops right outside my metro, I must make more of an effort :hide chair: Im ok buying handbags and things:)
Probably too tight  :chuckle:

I managed to get my wallet out 8th March, a treat to the Spa centre :)

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2015, 09:25:08 PM »
I managed to get my wallet out 8th March, a treat to the Spa centre :)

Ty molodetz
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #334 on: March 17, 2015, 09:28:42 PM »

I've done that myself, however if there is no chemistry when I met them then
I scrambled to a plan b. 

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
« Reply #335 on: September 11, 2016, 01:27:49 AM »
NEVER give a Slavic woman a wrist watch......
I'm told it means "your time is up girl"   :snivel:

I got my wife an Omega and she is still here.  :king:

Quote from: Les
How old is her mobile phone?  An Apple iphone5 is an idea (designed by a Brit).

My wife has one of those too.

The key word though is wife. This is a girl he has known a little. Its not about money, its about thought. A token gesture between folk who might form a bond - its not about impressing a poor girl with a few quid so she gets her knickers off.

He might have a few quid, and so might she. That means that stuff that costs big bucks is not a replacement for thought.

For me, the budget would be about £100 on her. Half of that would be spent in the Duty Free at the airport on perfume. A jar of Branston, a block of organic cheese from somewhere rural and a pair of nice Italian stockings would probably cover all the bases. Bottle of scotch for father, some chocolate stuff for mother, a toy if there is a kid involved. Double the budget at a push to include all of them. Job done.

No need to go daft.

We send often (and take) Yorkshire Tea (nice with Russian water) and Green & Blacks chocolate. They are always very well received by everyone.

Manny, is this budget for a first or second meeting? 

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #336 on: September 11, 2016, 02:24:12 AM »
I always say its best to send virtual gifts for the first few meetings to save on costs..

Anyway its the thought that counts ? Not the cost..

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #337 on: September 11, 2016, 02:29:27 AM »
Steve, you probably already know this,  but you are spot on right!
Virtual gifts have a very powerful effect upon recipients. They do act in the same way as a real gift. The cost is trivial but the effect is not. If making  'real' relationships, knowing what I now know about virtual gifting, I'd not think of sending a real gift to a person I had only met online.

Even after meeting they are still effective and valued.

People are strange.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #338 on: September 11, 2016, 03:03:37 AM »
If a women really loves you or is really interested in you it is "The thought that counts"

No need for spending budgets on gifts and things.. I could never imagine myself going to meet a women with a budget set aside for buying gifts..you just go with the flow :)

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #339 on: April 22, 2019, 08:44:24 PM »
Bump...

Clueless... What exactly is a "Virtual Gift" 

Can only imagine a Virtual Gift = Real FSUW feeling of being the Dreaded "Cheap Man"...  What am I missing here?

Offline Olga_Mouse

VIRTUAL Gifts when meeting with RW? WTF?
« Reply #340 on: April 23, 2019, 01:30:27 AM »
I always say its best to send virtual gifts for the first few meetings to save on costs..

Erm... Guys, do please enlighten me, what a "virtual gift" is?  ???

A certificate or a voucher for an access to some online cinema, or online language courses, or what?
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #341 on: April 23, 2019, 04:46:41 PM »
Not sure if this answers the question of virtual gift, but I have seen some dating sites allow a customer to send a gift (a representation of some kind of items like flowers, perfumes, dresses, underwear, phones, wine, tech gadgets, boxes of chocolates, etc.) to another person.  It costs some credits to do this.  The recipient does not actually receive anything.  It follows the saying that "it is the thought that counts".  The person who gets the virtual gift feels noticed and remembered (for what that is worth).   :knit: :happygirl1: :KISSSS:

http://virtualgifts4u.com/sendthings.htm

I just sent everyone here a virtual million dollars.   So that should make everyone an attractive target for prospective dates.   :chuckle:   :rouble-smile: :money: :euro-smile:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #342 on: April 24, 2019, 04:30:11 AM »
Not sure if this answers the question of virtual gift, but I have seen some dating sites allow a customer to send a gift (a representation of some kind of items like flowers, perfumes, dresses, underwear, phones, wine, tech gadgets, boxes of chocolates, etc.) to another person. 

It costs some credits to do this.  The recipient does not actually receive anything. 

It follows the saying that "it is the thought that counts". 

Also... money (credits) for nothing. I've seen something like that on Odnoklassniki, I think.

Am not getting the point of that "virtual gifts" thing (apart from obvious profit for the dating \ contact sites, of course!).

Offline patagonie

• Real life is meeting and kissing
  • Spouses Country: ukraine
« Reply #343 on: April 24, 2019, 06:30:52 AM »
Not sure if this answers the question of virtual gift, but I have seen some dating sites allow a customer to send a gift (a representation of some kind of items like flowers, perfumes, dresses, underwear, phones, wine, tech gadgets, boxes of chocolates, etc.) to another person. 

It costs some credits to do this.  The recipient does not actually receive anything. 

It follows the saying that "it is the thought that counts". 

Also... money (credits) for nothing. I've seen something like that on Odnoklassniki, I think.

Am not getting the point of that "virtual gifts" thing (apart from obvious profit for the dating \ contact sites, of course!).
+1 those virtual gifts are totally stupid. I prefer to send some bouquet to a real lady through a real shop.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #344 on: April 24, 2019, 08:09:27 AM »

I just sent everyone here a virtual million dollars.   So that should make everyone an attractive target for prospective dates.   :chuckle:   :rouble-smile: :money: :euro-smile:

Much as I welcome your gift and look forward to spending it, sadly a gift that has no cost (monetary or otherwise - for those who think in terms of money in terms of cost or value) does not serve the purpose.

There's a psychological mechanism at play here. If you want to learn a lot more then take a look here: https://research.fb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/12423357_160080064626552_365211832366923776_n.pdf

However, in very short terms, this is about how humans perceive gifts. They do two things, they show appreciation and they anticipate reciprocity. So, we like to receive gifts and we like to give something in return. Of course, we do not necessarily give the same thing back and, in the dating model that's the anticipation. I give some unknown woman a virtual gift and, in exchange, I hope that she gives me the gift of contact. Bottom line: it works.

Of course, we might now hear from women who say that only silly people think like this, but the chances are that such a reply will also come from a person whose expectations from a potential mate are, shall we say, exalted?

Humans know this stuff works. How do we know on an empirical level? Just try sending a man or woman, depending upon orientation, a 'sponsored' or otherwise free virtual gift - response rates fall through the floor unless it is a gift that embodies value - such as access to a special offer that the recipient can use.

These virtual gifts work slightly differently among people who already know each other well as I think the paper to which I linked will show. However, the underlying social reasons remain the same, appreciation and reciprocity.

Offline Olga_Mouse

VIRTUAL (WTF!) Gifts when meeting with RW?
« Reply #345 on: April 25, 2019, 02:53:02 AM »
However, in very short terms, this is about how humans perceive gifts.
They do two things, they show appreciation and they anticipate reciprocity.

I can't help remembering "5 love languages" book...  :reading:

Re. virtual gifts - means something the sender pays for, though the recipient gets nothing but a JPG file - I still believe it's quite a stupid thing.

If a man wants to show his appreciation for me without investing any money, he can simply show that he's thinking of me. He can send me "good morning" and "good night" messages, to express stability. He can listen to my complains about yet another difficult project, when I'm in yet another cold and soulless hotel room in Hanoi, Almaty or Dusseldorf. Thus he will express his appreciation by investing time and emotions. And he can surely expect reciprocity from me.

But if he wants to make me a gift - it shall be at least a bunch of flowers (even the 1.79 EUR tulips, grabbed in the supermarket next to the cashier) or a chocolate. AND this will already be ANOTHER of the 5 love languages...

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: VIRTUAL (WTF!) Gifts when meeting with RW?
« Reply #346 on: April 26, 2019, 11:55:00 AM »

Re. virtual gifts - means something the sender pays for, though the recipient gets nothing but a JPG file - I still believe it's quite a stupid thing.

If a man wants to show his appreciation for me without investing any money, he can simply show that he's thinking of me. He can send me "good morning" and "good night" messages, to express stability. He can listen to my complains about yet another difficult project, when I'm in yet another cold and soulless hotel room in Hanoi, Almaty or Dusseldorf. Thus he will express his appreciation by investing time and emotions. And he can surely expect reciprocity from me.

But if he wants to make me a gift - it shall be at least a bunch of flowers (even the 1.79 EUR tulips, grabbed in the supermarket next to the cashier) or a chocolate. AND this will already be ANOTHER of the 5 love languages...

I suffered a small existential crisis yesterday on the way to the man cave to watch game one of the Bruins-Blue Jackets Stanley Cup hockey finals (Bruins beat legendary Toronto and BJs beat TB Lightning to earn spots in this series)  - Along the way I saw a rather masculine lesbian woman in the driver seat of her car running her hand over her raised armpits big as you please and realized she was running a small Mennen Speed Pit Stick over her arm pits.   This is the same brand I use when heading to the Man Cave Cigar Sports lounge ... why shower and get immersed in Cigar Aroma when a quick pit stick stop will do? 

Then it dawned on me I might actually be a lesbian trapped in a Hideous Nuclear Sea Beast of a man's body?

Then today on RUA we discover that Olga Mouse that Roars had the same WTF reaction to so-called virtual gifts that I instinctually knew would engender thoughts of classic Cheap Man syndrome in a normal smart well traveled and intelligent RUA woman with a true Russian Soul - that this virtual gift guy(s) is a Cheap Skate.  All is well with the world again.

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #347 on: April 27, 2019, 04:44:43 AM »
Then today on RUA we discover that Olga Mouse that Roars had the same WTF reaction to so-called virtual gifts that I instinctually knew would engender thoughts of classic Cheap Man syndrome in a normal smart well traveled and intelligent RUA woman with a true Russian Soul - that this virtual gift guy(s) is a Cheap Skate.  All is well with the world again.

Cuffy, I wasn't saying anything about Cheap Men above. But "virtual gifts" are for me:

a) a mixture of two different love languages (appreciation \ encouraging words is one language, diving gifts is another);

b) a signal a man is not in good terms with budgeting and financial planning (who in his right mind would pay money, tokens, points, credits,  :rouble-smile: etc. - to send just a JPG  :pointlaugh: file?)

IMO, a man who invests real monetary value, knowing that the recipient at another end will get a gift with no monetary value has a higher risk of making unwise financial decisions, having debts, and all other sort of financial troubles that I don't want to drag him out. Just saying...  :biggrin:

Offline patagonie

• Real life is meeting and kissing
  • Spouses Country: ukraine
« Reply #348 on: April 27, 2019, 10:57:28 AM »

+1

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #349 on: April 28, 2019, 06:49:48 AM »
Olga, you are not thinking this through.

1) When a person sends you a virtual gift they are thinking of you  -to the best of my knowledge there are no widespread schemes for automated sending of virtual gifts, somebody actually has to think about you and then spend the time and money to do something. It takes about the same amount of time for me to send a virtual gift and to send a bunch of flowers.

2) When you receive a virtual gift it is, in most cases, public, it shows on your profile. That serves to increase your value on the site because it shows that somebody is willing to spend money on you - in an environment where communication is almost frictionless and costless, the display of a virtual gift is of real value. When you receive virtual gifts your profile is almost certain to gain more attention and, unless, you are one of the Pareto 20, attention is not something most women get a lot of. That attention then feeds through to the search algorithms, I am not a designer of dating site search algorithms but I'd be very, very, surprised to learn that the receipt of virtual gifts had zero effect upon the placement of profiles in search resutls.

Registration