The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Gifts when meeting with RW?  (Read 40068 times)

Offline ashbyclarke

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Gifts when meeting with RW?
« on: January 06, 2013, 10:23:54 AM »
I'm interested to know how others have approached this when meeting with a lady for the first time.

On my last trip I thought long and hard about what is typically British to take with me as a gift, RW never cease to amaze me with what they bring as gifts, something a little alien to us British, so not one for being outdone I took the following: -

- Very large box of Thorton's chocolates
- Gordon Ramsey Cook Book, Best of British Pub Food Guide
- Twinning's Tea

I'm off to meet this lady again later this month, and thinking ahead I'm considering taking : -

- Tin of Soup (I like the response of "how can it be")
- HP Sauce
- any suggestions??

FI - the cook book has gone down a storm, tonight she's cooking one of the recipes, very excited, perfect :)
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:22:18 AM »
Gravy...
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline 557chris

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
Re: Gifts when meeting with RW?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 03:16:34 AM »
I'm not sure how "Brittish" this is, but peanut butter seems to be very hard to come by.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:53:02 AM »
I'm not sure how "Brittish" this is, but peanut butter seems to be very hard to come by.

The reason is no one likes it  :chuckle:
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:53:21 AM »
Gravy...

Northern boys love gravy!
Слава Україні

Offline ashbyclarke

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 04:04:49 AM »
I like the gravy idea, but I don't need to purchase that, I can make from scratch, much more authentic.

Like the Pub is British, or Denby, it's that kind gift I'm thinking of, just can't think what is British, we don't have much that's traditional?

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Chris

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 04:50:31 AM »
I like the gravy idea, but I don't need to purchase that, I can make from scratch, much more authentic.

Me too, and its nice.

Like the Pub is British, or Denby, it's that kind gift I'm thinking of, just can't think what is British, we don't have much that's traditional?

You tend to find anything with the British Union Jack on it or the Queen, Royals etc even stuff you can buy locally with images of your City/Town/Village/Hamlet on it  :chuckle:

If you go online there is tons of stuff, but it tends to be the usual London tat that they farm off to tourists. Still, some of it might just do the trick.

One thing I found that always went down well with the ladies is mint chocolate, Thorntons Toffees, lots to choose from, English tea, or a small gift basket/hamper with traditional foods etc, eg English tea, marmalade, relishes, shortbread etc etc or what about some crockery, Royal Doulton, Wedgewood, Waterford crystal etc not as easy to get there in one piece though.  :)
Слава Україні

Offline Aloe

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 07:26:20 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Potteries

a nice vase or something

http://www.moorcroft.com/Site/

oh nvm, it seems really expensive.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 07:33:55 AM »

Me too, and its nice.

You tend to find anything with the British Union Jack on it or the Queen, Royals etc even stuff you can buy locally with images of your City/Town/Village/Hamlet on it  :chuckle:

If you go online there is tons of stuff, but it tends to be the usual London tat that they farm off to tourists. Still, some of it might just do the trick.

One thing I found that always went down well with the ladies is mint chocolate, Thorntons Toffees, lots to choose from, English tea, or a small gift basket/hamper with traditional foods etc, eg English tea, marmalade, relishes, shortbread etc etc or what about some crockery, Royal Doulton, Wedgewood, Waterford crystal etc not as easy to get there in one piece though.  :)

Waterford is in Ireland ;)

Offline missAmeno

• Spouses Country: ukraine
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 07:54:34 AM »
If you are looking at food suggestions then of course do not forget quality cheese - something like wensleydale with ginger and mango, some extra mature farmhouse cheddar, gorau glas, etc. Also proper British picnic willow basket with cutlery would be a nice gift.

To mods; sorry but I am hopeless :'(  Brass's post above is again my mess fixed leslie
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, ideals, thoughts, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

Offline RichyRich

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 08:12:30 AM »
"Brittish".
It is BriTish, one T not two. It is bad enough that the American language is a screwed up English but please, British is spelt the same in both variations of English.
Just can't think what is British, we don't have much that's traditional?
The problem is you are thinking British rather than Scottish, English and the the various localities. There is a lot that is more on a local scale rather than an overall British scale. Just look for local specialities then create a small hamper of various items you can find all over Scotland and England.

Yes I realise I have missed out Wales... it was intentional.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 08:31:43 AM »
"Brittish".
It is BriTish, one T not two. It is bad enough that the American language is a screwed up English but please, British is spelt the same in both variations of English.
Just can't think what is British, we don't have much that's traditional?
The problem is you are thinking British rather than Scottish, English and the the various localities. There is a lot that is more on a local scale rather than an overall British scale. Just look for local specialities then create a small hamper of various items you can find all over Scotland and England.

Yes I realise I have missed out Wales... it was intentional.

There's also the Republics of Lancashire and Yorkshire. I am a son of the former and a resident of the latter and it's impossible to get Black Peas here.

Just think about what presents u might get in return, a wee tin of red caviar or a jar of compressed slugs. It's what I got...

Offline Halo

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 08:35:29 AM »
If you are looking at food suggestions then of course do not forget quality cheese -

The only problem with cheeses is, they "scan" in airport security (at least, in the U.S. - I assume the U.K. would be similar) the same as explosives.  Not a huge issue, but be prepared to be stopped and searched.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline RichyRich

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 08:37:52 AM »
There's also the Republics of Lancashire and Yorkshire. I am a son of the former and a resident of the latter and it's impossible to get Black Peas here.

Just think about what presents u might get in return, a wee tin of red caviar or a jar of compressed slugs. It's what I got...
Neither of which are official republics, they are both in the home country of England, not that I actually care but my point still stands.

Red caviar is from salmon, I'd give that a miss personally :P anyway I am not in gift giving for the gifts you get in return, why give a gift if you expect something in return? it isn't exactly a gift then is it.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »
Perhaps something that illustrates the subtleties of British Humor like The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel with Russian Subtitles or the Effingpot Very Best of British Guide written by a Brit for those desperately trying to understand Britglish http://www.effingpot.com/

Offline molly35ru

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 09:33:27 AM »
Can anybody explain me why it has to be food? :'(
Words that are said in anger can rarely be taken back so be mindful what you say.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 09:34:38 AM »

Right.

How about some Victoria Secret?  :evilgrin0002:

Offline jamaica_live

• причиняю добро и наношу пользу
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »
helps to check if FSUW is scammer or pro-dater... if she is happy to get food as a gift - she is genuine.  :chuckle:
People who do not listen to the advice, you can not help.

"В некоторых людях живет Бог, в некоторых - дьявол, а в некоторых только глисты." (God lives in some people, the devil - in others... and in certain people live only worms.)

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 09:41:22 AM »
helps to check if FSUW is scammer or pro-dater... if she is happy to get food as a gift - she is genuine.  :chuckle:

How about lingerie?

Offline jamaica_live

• причиняю добро и наношу пользу
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 09:47:59 AM »
How about lingerie?
scammer. leave her and back to your wife.  :knit:
People who do not listen to the advice, you can not help.

"В некоторых людях живет Бог, в некоторых - дьявол, а в некоторых только глисты." (God lives in some people, the devil - in others... and in certain people live only worms.)

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 09:50:26 AM »
How about lingerie?
scammer. leave her and back to your wife.  :knit:

LMAO

No, I'm not trading at all. She is a keeper.  tiphat

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 09:51:39 AM »
I really want to do my Pearl Necklace joke but I'm holding back!!

Offline Chris

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 10:06:30 AM »

Me too, and its nice.

Waterford is in Ireland ;)

I know that, but would they?
Слава Україні

Offline Larry

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 10:07:45 AM »
I really want to do my Pearl Necklace joke but I'm holding back!!

Oh, you've given a pearl necklace to a FSUW?  I didn't realize what a generous fellow you are.  :chuckle:

Offline Chris

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »

Did you never hear of that cheese scammer from a few years back, it was all over AD or one such site ;) that's why it has to be food, preferably cheese  :chuckle:

Having said that, the type of cheese they have predominantly over in the FSU is mostly like rubber or soft plastic  :sick0012:   it wasn't until my wife came to the UK that she could appreciate what cheese really is.

Слава Україні

Registration