The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: need help with phone carriers and making a call.  (Read 3735 times)

Offline ofawoo

need help with phone carriers and making a call.
« on: December 12, 2012, 07:30:05 AM »
Hello,
What is the cheapest way to call Simferopol, Ukraine from the USA. I have ATT, but I assume there are less expensive carriers. Also, the number I am calling has 14 digits. Is that too many numbers?
Thanks,
Richard

Offline Muzh_1

Re: need help with phone carriers and making a call.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 07:33:12 AM »
Try mywdt.com

We use it all the time. Very reliable, no drop calls, crystal clear, AND VERY CHEAP.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 07:46:55 AM »
How sure are you that you are dealing with a proper person? I am guessing some doubt hence the query about numbers.

This site tells me that you should expect numbers in the following format: +380(69) 2XX-XX-XX
http://english.spravkaru.net/ukraine/simfiropol/

Mobile numbers will be, according to Wikipedia, of the same length: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Ukraine

Calling a fixed line fone will cost a lot less than calling a mobile number.

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline ofawoo

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »
Muzh_1,
Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try. How does it work? Can I go through my current phone? Buy time or credits on line? How? Thanks

Andrew,
I have no concrete reason to think she is anything other than a "proper" person. My question about the numbers was merely because I have absolutely no experience making calls to outside of the USA. The format you provided had 12 numbers though and the number I have has 14. Does that make sense? Also, the number I have begins with the 3801. Is this significant?

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 01:04:02 PM »
You need to dial 011 then countrycode 380 then the  phone number
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 01:11:53 PM »
Muzh_1,
Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try. How does it work? Can I go through my current phone? Buy time or credits on line? How? Thanks

Andrew,
I have no concrete reason to think she is anything other than a "proper" person. My question about the numbers was merely because I have absolutely no experience making calls to outside of the USA. The format you provided had 12 numbers though and the number I have has 14. Does that make sense? Also, the number I have begins with the 3801. Is this significant?

You register your phone number and they assign you a local phone number for you to call. You dial this local number and you'll hear the prompt to enter the number for Ukraine starting with 011 380 xxx xxx xxxx That's it. Check the plans because I believe using you cell is cheaper than land line.

We registered both our cells. Never had a problem.

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 02:10:15 PM »
You need to dial 011 then countrycode 380 then the  phone number

To make that clearer--- 380  6x xxx xxxx           12 number plus  011 to get international----  it should look like  38 066 ?? it depends on how they gave it to you
     If dialling from in Ukraine --066   is equivalent of US area code eg   215
Hope that helps!! :)

Offline JayH

• Watched
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 02:14:16 PM »
Muzh_1,

Andrew,

You register your phone number and they assign you a local phone number for you to call. You dial this local number and you'll hear the prompt to enter the number for Ukraine starting with 011 380 xxx xxx xxxx That's it. Check the plans because I believe using you cell is cheaper than land line.

We registered both our cells. Never had a problem.

You have got 13 digits in Ukraine number--I am counting 12 only

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 09:28:07 AM »
So I missed an "x"  :smokin:

Offline JayH

• Watched
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »
So I missed an "x"  :smokin:

Perhaps you should have taken your shoes off? :)

Offline ofawoo

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 12:46:47 PM »
Muzh_1, thanks for your help but I'm still having a problem. I've gone the the site you offered, mywdt.com, and can't seem to figure out how to register. I've sent a request saying I would like to register however I've not had a response. I suspect I won't either because it appears you must already have an account with them in order to send them a note. I'm sure this is wrong, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make contact with anyone. Do you have any suggestions?

Offline ofawoo

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »
Okay, ignore my last post. I had overlooked a link to the home page. Thanks

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »
Okay, ignore my last post. I had overlooked a link to the home page. Thanks

LOL

I was going to say...