The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Bruce Lee - Enter the Mother Land  (Read 21592 times)

Offline Bruce Lee

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Bruce Lee - Enter the Mother Land
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 12:27:22 PM »
I reckon 800+ miles just from Vlad to the place in the middle of no where
Chris - Its in the arse end of no where mate - I originally thought it was a 24 hour train journey from Vlad, Tanya seems to think its approx 36 hours (I will let you guys know exactly next year) - then you must cross the river (which should be frozen solid by then) to get over to the town!!

:) I'm glad we cleared that up  :chuckle:
:thumbsup:
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 02:23:19 PM »
Didn't he do well.............
I always preferred "Don't touch the pack - I'll be right back" tiphat

Good game. Good game............

Non Brits will wonder what the hell we are on about.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 06:22:46 PM »
For a trans-sib view - seems to run a while along the Amur:

http://www.baikalcomplex.com/transsibmap.htm

There is a Komsomosk-na-Amur On the north Baikal to Amur TansSib line but have to do Google Earth for Nikolayevsk-on-Amur which is another 370 kilometers - curious if your rail trip follows the same rail line as the Vlad end of the Trans Siberian Railway.  Lots of new Oil and Gas fields on Sakhalin Island so some economic activity in the area but definitely the remote eastern Frontier!

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 10:02:01 PM »

Manny - It's the Brucie bonus mate tiphat
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 10:12:32 PM »
Have a good trip mate enjoy  :thumbsup:
Sparky - forgot to mention earliar as we were discussing this in chat a couple of weeks ago, Tanya went to the Visa app centre herself as we discussed, to my surprise everything went really smoothly - normally if she goes anywhere without me it will rain or she will get lost and end up calling me (normally at work) and complaining (very loudly)!!

So dropped her off at the train station - 2 hours to London and she had just the right amount of time to get a bite to eat - do the visa - pop into Aeroflot office and that was it, Brucie timed this trip to perfection (outgoing and returning train tickets) - no time left over for her to do any shopping :)

For those that don't know the Russian visa thing for us Brits married to Russian citizens can be a real ball ache now as the Russian spouse has to go to the application centre in person and sign an invitation - with the visa fee + train ticket it now works out more expensive than the previous "put your feet up agency" method of GotoRussia or Real Russian for example!!

Offline sparky114

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2012, 01:05:58 AM »
Have a good trip mate enjoy  :thumbsup:
Sparky - forgot to mention earliar as we were discussing this in chat a couple of weeks ago, Tanya went to the Visa app centre herself as we discussed, to my surprise everything went really smoothly - normally if she goes anywhere without me it will rain or she will get lost and end up calling me (normally at work) and complaining (very loudly)!!

So dropped her off at the train station - 2 hours to London and she had just the right amount of time to get a bite to eat - do the visa - pop into Aeroflot office and that was it, Brucie timed this trip to perfection (outgoing and returning train tickets) - no time left over for her to do any shopping :)

For those that don't know the Russian visa thing for us Brits married to Russian citizens can be a real ball ache now as the Russian spouse has to go to the application centre in person and sign an invitation - with the visa fee + train ticket it now works out more expensive than the previous "put your feet up agency" method of GotoRussia or Real Russian for example!!

Great news  :thumbsup:

Still think it is a ball ache that we have to do this as they say "eto Russia" (:)

Well done on the timings :chuckle:
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2012, 03:46:32 AM »

Nice to see you, to see you..........?

Offline Manny

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 09:23:53 AM »

..... to see you, nice.  tiphat
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline sparky114

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2012, 11:26:33 AM »

..... to see you, nice.  tiphat

.....now lets have a look at the jolly old score board !

Mark

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »
Back on-topic tiphat

Still think it is a ball ache that we have to do this as they say "eto Russia" (:)
I'm pretty sure we have discussed this one before but the current system just twists my melon - basically when you are married to a Russian citizen it has now been deemed that you (the spouse) will no longer wish to visit this vast country as a tourist!!! While this time we really are going to my wife's registered town - we would have to indicate this even if we were solely travelling to Moscow (for example) - the true definition of a complete ball ache!!!

I'm just not sure who this system really helps?

Anyway - don't want to turn into a crybaby, the forum has plenty of those already :)

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »

Well noticed and thanks for adding this cuffy :thumbsup:

I'm leaving the internal arrangements to the misses and unsurprisingly this means that we haven't booked the tickets for the train journey yet - we will probably look into this in more detail over the weekend - will fill in the gaps when I know the info!!

Last time Tanya went up that way I seem to remember her saying her mobile phone connection changed several times from a Russian operator to a Chinese one during the Journey so it would make sense that the line hugs the boarder to China!! Also I'm pretty certain I recall the mention of possibly stopping off at Khabarovsk for a day as well as her best friend from school lives there and has recently had a baby - so needless to say this may prove to be a real epic!!!

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2012, 12:46:42 PM »

I'm pretty sure we have discussed this one before but the current system just twists my melon - basically when you are married to a Russian citizen it has now been deemed that you (the spouse) will no longer wish to visit this vast country as a tourist!!!

Its years since I was last in Russia, but what happens if you wanted to travel there on your own, for whatever reason? would you still have to get your wife to provide an invitation for you? and does this antiquated system, apply for just UK citizens or do Americans, other Europeans etc still have the same hoops to jump through?
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »
I'm just not sure who this system really helps?

I considered writing to Putin to outline just how his new system costs us money and hassle and is totally pants, and suggest a better mail-based alternative. My wife thought that a hilarious concept. I don't see why.....

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »
If theres a meet-up who else is coming ;D
Lon  ;D
Thought you were going to say - Av or Vinny :)

We can invite them both  :party0031:

Way too hardcore for me sorry. I'm lightweight and proud of it.

I hope you have a stupendous time Bruce, and wonderful weather too.  :thumbsup:

p.s. Will you be taking some beef with you?

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2012, 05:48:26 PM »

Well noticed and thanks for adding this cuffy :thumbsup:

I'm leaving the internal arrangements to the misses and unsurprisingly this means that we haven't booked the tickets for the train journey yet - we will probably look into this in more detail over the weekend - will fill in the gaps when I know the info!!

Last time Tanya went up that way I seem to remember her saying her mobile phone connection changed several times from a Russian operator to a Chinese one during the Journey so it would make sense that the line hugs the boarder to China!! Also I'm pretty certain I recall the mention of possibly stopping off at Khabarovsk for a day as well as her best friend from school lives there and has recently had a baby - so needless to say this may prove to be a real epic!!!

Tried to see if railroads showed up on either Google earth or maps - nope - just an M60 road from Vlad to Khabarovsk but could not find how to make rail lines show up - from Khabarovsk north only some frozen Google earth photos of a remote single lane road P454 to Komsomolsk on Amur where it seems to end so either seasonal roads or river travel on to Nikolayevsk on Amur a river/ocean port basically protected by Sakhalin island- as there must be a train the route seems to escape Google.  Seems only city more remote would be the fishing and nuclear submarine outposts (+52° 55' 1.91", +158° 29' 8.77" ) at Petropavlovsk Kamchatsky!

Interesting site with all the Tanssib Cities and profiles of each city with the railway hub maps:

http://www.transsib.ru/Eng/city.htm#cityall

http://www.transsib.ru/Eng/city-dvost.htm#Khabarovsk

http://www.transsib.ru/Eng/city-dvost.htm#Komsomolsk  (Says End of BAM!)

Hmmmm no Nikolayevsk on Amur city listing?

Ooops http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolayevsk-on-Amur

Economy and infrastructure
Fishing and fish processing are the main industries of the town, along with ship maintenance and some agricultural production in the surrounding area.
Nikolayevsk-on-Amur has no land transport connections. Traffic to and from the town enters via the port on the Amur, or the small airport, which is home to Nikolayevsk-Na-Amure Air Enterprise.  Looks like a real epic journey now...

The real interesting story is how a woman from the very Far North East of Russian made her way all the way to UK as your wife - now that is the real epic!

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »
The real interesting story is how a woman from the very Far North East of Russian made her way all the way to UK as your wife - now that is the real epic!
Interesting but fairly simple cuffy - Tanya went to University straight after school in Vladivostok, got a job after that and promptly stayed there!! She still has several friends there but most interesting to me is the gradual migration of her old circle of friends - she has a photo of her friends on the beech including herself taken approx just after University ended and out of those nine girls, 4 have now traveled West - 3 to St Petersburg and obviously 1 to UK!!

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »

I'm pretty sure we have discussed this one before but the current system just twists my melon - basically when you are married to a Russian citizen it has now been deemed that you (the spouse) will no longer wish to visit this vast country as a tourist!!!

Its years since I was last in Russia, but what happens if you wanted to travel there on your own, for whatever reason? would you still have to get your wife to provide an invitation for you? and does this antiquated system, apply for just UK citizens or do Americans, other Europeans etc still have the same hoops to jump through?
Chris - I would imagine Sparky would be the best man for this one - there might be other routes but the above is the only one I am aware of, basically its not worth rocking the boat, in such situations its just a case of taking the medicine and coughing up the money until next time!!

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2012, 09:51:27 PM »
Nikolayevsk-on-Amur has no land transport connections. Traffic to and from the town enters via the port on the Amur, or the small airport, which is home to Nikolayevsk-Na-Amure Air Enterprise.  Looks like a real epic journey now...
By the way - you're going to love this bit, I have a verbal description of how this is achieved when entering during the winter - I don't want to spoil it so I will wait until I post the photo on my return!!

From what I understand from the description the photos will be well worth the wait :)

Offline sparky114

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2012, 12:30:21 AM »

Chris - I would imagine Sparky would be the best man for this one - there might be other routes but the above is the only one I am aware of, basically its not worth rocking the boat, in such situations its just a case of taking the medicine and coughing up the money until next time!!

Chris- Yes what BL wrote is right, once your married to a Russian women then you should rightly get her to do the invitation, but i have seen guys go the other  route but you do have to lie on the form and not tell them your married at that point. (:)

Not sure they have the system to even check it, but it is not worth the risk, and besides, very rarely travel to Russia without her, and if i do it is because she is already there :thumbsup:

As for Yanks and Euro's i know that the Euro lot have the same thing, but the Yank process has just changed so not sure that the wrong side of the pond has the same rules now that they have got all pally and are issuing 3 year visas. :coffeeread:

Mark

Offline Chris

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2012, 02:47:56 AM »
Ok, so what about a Tourist Visa? if for example wifey and I wanted to visit St Petes, she would be OK but I assume, like old times I would have to get a visa?
Слава Україні

Offline sparky114

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2012, 03:16:25 AM »
Yes you would have to apply for a tourist Visa

The process we have to work with only applies if your married to a Russian Federation Citizen ;D, you my lord are not  :king:

You can of course go to Gee St Russian VAC (london) and apply there in person as well if you like without using a Agency :dh:

Mark

Offline Chris

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2012, 03:26:41 AM »
Thanks Mark, I think we will go somewhere warm instead  :)
Слава Україні

Offline sparky114

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2012, 04:26:36 AM »

My thoughts exactly......but we will be grounded after next weeks application for citizenship  :coffeeread:

Can you remember how long Ira's citizenship took to process?

Mark

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2012, 06:44:53 AM »
I think we will go somewhere warm instead  :)
Funnily enough we just had the same conversation - Tanya keeps the weather forecast for Vlad and Nikolayevsk-on-Amur on her i-phone, she normally checks them everyday, the latter is getting colder everyday. She checked today and its -17 and by Friday it is due to be approx -21 :o

By the time we get to Nikolayevsk-on-Amur we have estimated it will be approx -30 :o

Maybe I will buy some new shoes and possibly some socks :)

Offline Chris

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2012, 09:42:54 AM »

My thoughts exactly......but we will be grounded after next weeks application for citizenship  :coffeeread:

Can you remember how long Ira's citizenship took to process?

I seem to recall it took around 7-8 weeks to get the OK (following the application) and about two - three weeks later we had the ceremony. BTW Nata had her confirmation of Citizenship a few days before Ira got hers  :) yes, they had to do more checks on Ira being ex KGB you know  :chuckle:

Слава Україні

Registration