The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Portland Oregon, meeting a girl who has a tourist visa  (Read 3940 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Portland Oregon, meeting a girl who has a tourist visa
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 07:57:11 AM »
I wish you good luck too, Bill. Nothing seems to come easy for you in this.  ???

Nothing worthwhile ever is  ;D
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online 2tallbill

Portland Oregon, meeting a girl who has a tourist visa
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 08:03:47 AM »
I wake up feeling alive once again. Shower, scrape off the barnacles and make sure I don't
have any wild hair that grew out of my nose or ears during the night and jump into my car
(it's an old Mercedes ML320) I stick the car into reverse back out and then the find that the
car won't go into a forward gear  >:(   >:(   >:(   :censored:  :censored:  :o

I have to meet PBG and her daughter in two hours at the airport.

I turn off the car and manage to get the car (by driving backwards) into another parking spot.
The transmission will not go into a forward gear.  >:(
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 08:09:01 AM »
I wake up feeling alive once again. Shower, scrape off the barnacles and make sure I don't
have any wild hair that grew out of my nose or ears during the night and jump into my car
(it's an old Mercedes ML320) I stick the car into reverse back out and then the find that the

I have to meet PBG and her daughter in two hours at the airport.

I turn off the car and manage to get the car (by driving backwards) into another parking spot.
The transmission will not go into a forward gear.  >:(

Back in high school with my best friend we drove around town in his car for three days in reverse. Forward gears did not work. We did not get any dates, except in front of the town judge.

I am still pretty at good backing up . . . 
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 09:10:52 AM »
... jump into my car (it's an old Mercedes ML320) I stick the car into reverse back out and then the find that the

I had that happen with a Ford Explorer, once, but never a Benz.  In fact I find Benz to be uber-reliable. 

So PBG (Portland bound girl) read my trip report and decided that the content wasn't
anything like they said on AD.

Is anyone surprised? Bueller?  :chuckle:

Then she talked to my ex GF who is engaged and waiting on a K-1. I don't know what she said but it was enough to convince her that I had sincere intentions
and that she really wanted to meet the guy who make her laugh so much.

That's almost always a loser argument (using the ex-G/Fs as references) although I have used it successfully a couple of times.  Happily one of my exes worked for the FBI, which gives her endorsement that aura of "No, he's not a serial killer, and yes I *HAVE* checked with the FBI, as a mater of fact," about it.  :chuckle:  Although typically women who insist on that sort of thing are going to be pains in the butt, anyway.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online 2tallbill

Portland Oregon, meeting a girl who has a tourist visa
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »
I went into motel 6 and told the clerks there about my problem and that I would
get my car out the next day. Then I grabbed my bag and called a taxi to go to the
airport.

I arrived in plenty of time and waited for PBG and her daughter. I get some tokens
for the Max which is Portlands light rail that goes close to the hotel. The flight arrived
and I waited nearly two hours but finally they come down the ramp. I pass out two
cheek kisses the PBG seemed pleasant but not excited to see me.

With the 2 hour delay I had plenty of time to figure out which line to get on and approximately
where to get off. I also have an old college roomie who lives in Portland and has a German car.
He told me about a place I could go where they wouldn't ding me too badly.

So we gather ourselves and head off to the Max. On the Max I ask them about their adventures
so far and tell a few stories and a few jokes and get a few laughs as we bump on down the line.

They are both a bit sleepy from the trip but seem interested in everything around them. We get to
the hotel and go up to our rooms agreeing to meet in 20 minutes after they get freshened up. 

Of course 20 minutes in FSUW time is about double from clock time but they are ready and we start
walking around the city. We find some kind of cultural festival and some parks and statues and I take
many photos of them at this point of interest or that.

After quite a bit of walking, I asked if they were hungry. They said not really, but in my experience FSUW 
often say that to be polite so I said we could sit inside and have some tea and look at some of the things
we could see tomorrow (I had some tourist brochures of things nearby. There are a lot of seafood places
and I know that they both like so I picked one and we went inside. After ordering tea, I said that after the
airline food they should have a little something to eat. I ordered some tuna, some vegetables and fruit along
with bread with olive oil, cheese, and several other things.

I suggested we place it in the center of the table and we all could try a variety of things. I found out that I
was right they seemed hungry enough when the food came.

I suggested a number of attractions like the Rose garden, the zoo, the Japanese gardens, OMSI (a museum)
Mt Hood, Multnomah falls etc, while they looked over the brochures.

After eating we did more walking and they both started looking pretty drowsy. I suggested much earlier that
they should try to stay up a bit to combat the jet lag but I could see that they were not long for the land of
slumber. So I suggested that we go back to the hotel and get a hot chocolate (it had cooled down a bit) and
they both liked that idea.

We agreed to meet in the morning. My spidey senses were telling me that PBG liked me, enjoyed my
company but wasn't romantically interested. Like a lot of guys do I tried to tell myself it was because
of the jet lag, or something or anything else.

to be continued

Online 2tallbill

It's only a 24 hour drive back
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 06:58:46 PM »
So I go to sleep and wake up at O'dark thirty, take a cab back to my car and get inside.

I start the car and it goes frontwards and backwards. I drive to the German repair place
that my friend recommended. They check it out and tell me that there is a fault in the
catastrophic converter (or something similar). They reset something and I am on my way.

I get back just as PBG and her daughter show up.

I take them to the Rose Garden

and the Japanese Gardens

Then we check out the Columbia river where I break out a little picnic lunch that I had
packed earlier. They are amazed at the beauty and nature around them along with the
friendly and helpful people that we met.

We head off to Multnomah Falls and there is a little hiking trail. I am pretty certain that
there isn't any chemistry between us and I am kind of bummed out about it. I talked to
this woman on skype hundreds of times and she just isn't interested.

We talk about it. She is going to remain and I am not. 

The next morning I get in my car and drive 24 hours back to North Dakota.
I take a nap in my car somewhere near Yellowstone for a couple of hours

So that's what happened in 2tallbill's soulmate search summer of 2012.
I joined EM's and started writing letters.

The adventure continues.......................

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »
 Bill thanks for sharing you latest tale, I and others would of wished it turned out better for you. You and I have been on these forums long enough (not sure when you became involved, for me it was 2005) having the pleasure of talking to you a few times I can't help but wonder why you have no girl either foreign or domestic. After reading yesterdays installment it got me thinking what it may be.
 So after hours of mind scouring head scratching mayham, I think I am ready to ask a question or two.

I'm wondering if its your height that gives you problems, after all you are as tall as a door. I'm wondering if the women you go to meet are not ready to see a guy your height even though you have told them your a tall guy, and have given them the amount in cm's. Are they maybe just not prepared to date a tall guy, or they think it was not an issue until they saw you?
 I dunno, you're a hell of a nice guy, and its BS at your age (IMO) that they finish last.

Anyway, just wish the best in you future searches.   tiphat

Offline CzechMate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 09:17:07 PM »
I thought FSU women tended to be long-legged and high-heeled!  ;D
When I shoot, I recover the spent casing and reload the brass.

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
Don -the funny thing about tall guys is that they seem to finish with girls who a    4'10"  !!!! (148cms) So not sure what Bill can do about that!!
I would also say that I know of quite a few   6' (183cm) girls who are serious in looking ( not sure what age Bill is looking at) -- but i would throw away the age issue-- be clear about height--promote it proudly and I am sure something can come from that. From observation -- tall girls( 175 plus)  are plentifull in FSU --plus heels and it gives that wonderfull appearance that we see commented on all the time.
Bill -- on your latest venture-- nothing ventured is nothing gained--look at it this way-- you gained another reference!!  Maybe you should get these in writing while you still can !

Online 2tallbill

I'm not too worried
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »
Guys, thanks for your kind comments, I'm not worried about the Charley Brown syndrome
or how short doorways seem to be  ;D  This happened this summer and I have definitely
moved on.

Regarding local girls in North Dakota (I'm working here now) there aren't any unmarried,
non-spoken for females here that have most of their teeth. There was an article in the
Williston newspaper claiming that the current male to female ratio in the Williston area
is 70:1  :o

I don't have any idea how they came up with that statistic, but I do know that here in the
Bakken oil field area that there simply aren't any available women. They told me there was
a pretty girl hiding behind every tree, but they didn't tell me that there weren't any trees  ;D

The saga continues........

Udachi!

Bill

Offline CzechMate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 11:57:53 PM »
So...no trees or bushes?   :hidechair:
When I shoot, I recover the spent casing and reload the brass.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 02:40:11 AM »
Bill, Thanks for sharing - sort of gives the hopeless hope!

For what it is worth the Wright Brothers were not aloft on the first try!  :nod:
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 03:49:46 AM »
Maybe it is time to sit down and make a lifeplan. From what I am reading your life makes it clear that finding a wife is not very important to you right now.

At the moment you have a wish, a desire but other things are much more important. to you.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 06:24:17 PM »
So...no trees or bushes?   :hidechair:

They have nearly no trees, many people plant them right around their house
for wind break.