The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Me speaking Russian, please critique:  (Read 25361 times)

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: Me speaking Russian, please critique:
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 01:33:31 PM »

It is a little old and for you guys out there, it will probably make your eyes bleed.   :popcorn:

Forget Russia or Ukraine LT!

Go to Bulgaria and hang out in clubs where "Chalga" music is played. 

Get some pointy toe boots, work on looking menacing - you will be plagued with Bulgarian beauties!

How come whenever you insult me I feel like I just got an online $ 1000 gift card from Walmart!   :thumbsup:

Slumbs, Я чмо (referencing DDT)

Seriously LT, check out Bulgaria:  http://www.singledudetravel.com/2011/01/intro-to-bulgaria/
Anchors Rewoven

Offline missAmeno

• Spouses Country: ukraine
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 02:31:51 PM »
Btw, is this you?

http://dofantasyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=504

ha ha ha 

tiphat :thumbsup:

of course, if it was me.  Admitting would be an act of bravery and revelation.  And it it was not me, then I have no way of proving otherwise.

so I don't know how to answer it.

I have done a lot of jacked up stuff in my life that I regret - some of it is on the forum.  And I am not plaster saint, but I am not into BDSM.  It's kinda weird if you ask me.  I have a past but I am trying with my whole heart and my whole mind to put that behind me.  And given that, that post is from August of this year?

Not me   :fighting0025:

But hey, it's a free country (unless someone wins re-election).

Interesting answer. (:)  Instead of answering simply yes/no, you attempt to predict our reactions to possible answers.
Reminds me my daughter who on questions "Did you do this or that?" have habit of going into some half an hour speech that resembles something like "If I tell you this you gonna punish me for that and if I say that you gonna punish me for this. So what is the point of answering anyway? But if you really insist then it could have been this or that but more likely this over that excluding if it happen that over this."
And every single time she does that I know she tells me porky pies   :smokin:
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, ideals, thoughts, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

Offline missAmeno

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 02:36:46 PM »
Btw, are you aware that over half of population of Ukraine is not religious?

(Hope you will not say this is not you either   :popcorn: )
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, ideals, thoughts, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 02:38:24 PM »

Interesting answer. (:)  Instead of answering simply yes/no, you attempt to predict our reactions to possible answers.
Reminds me my daughter who on questions "Did you do this or that?" have habit of going into some half an hour speech that resembles something like "If I tell you this you gonna punish me for that and if I say that you gonna punish me for this. So what is the point of answering anyway? But if you really insist then it could have been this or that but more like this over that excluding if it happen that over this."
And every single time she does that I know she tells me porky pies   :smokin:
It is an interesting reply because yes, it hedges as a liar might and if true, framed in that manner makes it hard to believe the writer.

There is an interesting confluence of ideas though and what are the odds of two Lord Tiberii both soi disant writers and both popping up with the same username at about the same time, especially when OUR lord tiberius can be seen to use the handle in other places linked by his avatar and in places with different handles but the same person in the images so we know the gyu is not careful of his online ID

As somebody once said 'there's no such thing as a coincidence'
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 02:39:28 PM »

Not me

Interesting answer. (:)  Instead of answering simply yes/no,

Ma'am, its not me.  There are lots of reasons to hate me, but this isn't one.   I apologize for the confusion.  God Bless You and your family FOREVER!

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 02:49:53 PM »
LT, what counts is that you made the effort. Brave, very brave.

It reminded me of someone who having taken dancing lessons is out on the floor and taking every opportunity to use the knowledge gained, even when the steps are not yet a part of muscle memory.

Good job.

Now go study some more and don't stop the videos. Once you get thru the first barrier more people will be attracted to help you. You live in Tucson and the U of A has an outstanding Russian program. http://russian.arizona.edu/  Call or go over and ask for a student tutor. It will be cheaper than you realize and you'll advance so much more quickly. Attend some of the weekly sessions where students meet for coffee and practice speaking or enjoy one of their movie/event nights and you'll get "networked" as they say and the more people you know the faster you advance.

Господь Менделеева,

I subscribed to your journal by the way. 

I check out the Arizona site (alum 96btw).  It's pretty dope.  I sent an email to the president of the Kazazh club.  There is a filly on my old fb page that I want to further my friendship with.  She lives in London and my objectives are admittedly a bit confused.  That said, following up! 

They have a Russian club potluck on this Friday at 3pm.  I am going!  I will take your advice on a tutor.  The going rate is $ 12 an hour for math so I can't see how things are too different.  Anyway, like I said, I am going to take your advise because you give good advice!

:offtopic:  that girl is not from from Kazakstan  she is from Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

Offline missAmeno

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 03:09:05 PM »
LT, few points:

1. Господь - translates as Our Lord (God)
2. Sir translates as Господин
3. Менделеева is Mrs Mendeleyev, Менделеев is Mr Mendeleyev
4. Filly is a young horse.

I dont want to shatter your dreams but its ulikely that horse (regadless if its young or old) would want to become your friend on facebook.

Offline Halo

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 03:25:01 PM »
Plus, a girl from Kyrgyzstan, unless she is ethnically Russian (and the one above is not), if not an atheist, is likely Muslim, even if it is notional.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 03:55:26 PM »
4. Filly is a young horse.

I dont want to shatter your dreams but its ulikely that horse (regadless if its young or old) would want to become your friend on facebook.

:laugh: :chuckle: :party0031:you're awesome. :saint: Don't stay in blighty too long and if you do, take plenty of vitamin D

Offline missAmeno

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »
Ma'am, its not me.  There are lots of reasons to hate me, but this isn't one.   I apologize for the confusion.  God Bless You and your family FOREVER!

Again I find your response strange. LT, hate is very strong word. I personally do not hate anyone and for me is not uderstandable how it is possible at all to hate anyone just because of his/hers views, opinions or fantasies. Just out of curiosity ... why would you expect to be hated if it turned out to be you posting on that another forum?

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »

Again I find your response strange. LT, hate is very strong word. I personally do not hate anyone and for me is not uderstandable how it is possible at all to hate anyone just because of his/hers views, opinions or fantasies. Just out of curiosity ... why would you expect to be hated if it turned out to be you posting on that another forum?

:offtopic:

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 10:05:54 PM »

Forget Russia or Ukraine LT!

Go to Bulgaria and hang out in clubs where "Chalga" music is played. 

Get some pointy toe boots, work on looking menacing - you will be plagued with Bulgarian beauties!

Seriously LT, check out Bulgaria:  http://www.singledudetravel.com/2011/01/intro-to-bulgaria/

Did you write this?  It's pretty funny. 

You're right.  Why do I want learn a foreign language and understand someone else's culture and all that when I can get a Chalka girl?!!

Offline molly35ru

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 12:22:22 PM »
I made a mistake and clicked on "other videos".  :'(
:laugh: Why? I liked dancing videos  :party0011:
Words that are said in anger can rarely be taken back so be mindful what you say.

Offline jamaica_live

• причиняю добро и наношу пользу
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 12:34:33 PM »
Yeah, molly35ru, dancing videos are funny.
People who do not listen to the advice, you can not help.

"В некоторых людях живет Бог, в некоторых - дьявол, а в некоторых только глисты." (God lives in some people, the devil - in others... and in certain people live only worms.)

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2012, 11:54:03 PM »
LT, what counts is that you made the effort. Brave, very brave.

It reminded me of someone who having taken dancing lessons is out on the floor and taking every opportunity to use the knowledge gained, even when the steps are not yet a part of muscle memory.

Good job.

Now go study some more and don't stop the videos. Once you get thru the first barrier more people will be attracted to help you. You live in Tucson and the U of A has an outstanding Russian program. http://russian.arizona.edu/  Call or go over and ask for a student tutor. It will be cheaper than you realize and you'll advance so much more quickly. Attend some of the weekly sessions where students meet for coffee and practice speaking or enjoy one of their movie/event nights and you'll get "networked" as they say and the more people you know the faster you advance.

Господь Менделеева,

I subscribed to your journal by the way. 

I check out the Arizona site (alum 96btw).  It's pretty dope.  I sent an email to the president of the Kazazh club.

They have a Russian club potluck on this Friday at 3pm.  I am going!  I will take your advice on a tutor.  The going rate is $ 12 an hour for math so I can't see how things are too different.  Anyway, like I said, I am going to take your advise because you give good advice!

I went the party. I ate some Russian cookies and cakes. I talked with a guy who spoke Russian and lived in Moscow. He misses it a lot. I met a Russian woman from Saratov and another from Almaty, Kazakhstan. I met a lot of students who have been over to Ukraine and they loved it.  They said there are even cheaper places than I had found.

Yeah, molly35ru, dancing videos are funny.

You ladies are THE BEST!!!!

Online BelleZeBoob

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 10:44:02 AM »

Thank you!

Oh, that's a very brave attempt of you!  :nod:

I like your R sound :) some other sounds that you produce sound good to me as well.
It looks like some of your irregularities are systemic, therefore they could be easily discovered and addressed.

Good luck!
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »

Thank you!

Oh, that's a very brave attempt of you!  :nod:

I like your R sound :) some other sounds that you produce sound good to me as well.
It looks like some of your irregularities are systemic, therefore they could be easily discovered and addressed.

Good luck!

B, thank you for looking over my work.  I have another in the editing bay and I should make another one soon.  Thank you again for looking over my work.  ~James :thumbsup:

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2012, 02:56:18 AM »
Сегодня я встретился с моим русским преподавателем. Его зовут Сергей. Мы пошли на общих фраз. Господи Сергей направлены большую часть сессии на русском языке. Господь Сергею украинские из Харькова, один из городов я могу посетить. Господи Сергей, 25-летний студент по обмену. Я пытался читать страницы из истории Севастополе Льва Толстого, но я мог получить только через один пункт.   :'(

Offline missAmeno

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 01:46:33 PM »
Сегодня я встретился с моим русским преподавателем. Его зовут Сергей. Мы пошли на общих фраз. Господи Сергей направлены большую часть сессии на русском языке. Господь Сергею украинские из Харькова, один из городов я могу посетить. Господи Сергей, 25-летний студент по обмену. Я пытался читать страницы из истории Севастополе Льва Толстого, но я мог получить только через один пункт.   :'(

LT, too many mistakes to try to list. Stop relying on google translator, learn structure of sentences and use dictionary to translate each word separately rather then full sentence. Also try to remember words below as you are addressing everyone as God.

1. Господь - translates as Our Lord (God)
2. Sir translates as Господин

Господи - can be translated as Jesus/Christ/Lord/good heavens

Offline Bill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 03:32:05 PM »
LT take classes, it's really the only way you're going to learn. A native Russian speaker trained in teaching Russian to foreigners will have you semi-fluent or at least conversational in a year or two depending on how often you take classes.

Offline CzechMate

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 05:17:38 PM »
LT, seems like you should not be listing Russian on your resume.  (Which you do, and provide the links in your signature.)
When I shoot, I recover the spent casing and reload the brass.

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2012, 07:22:47 PM »
The lady doth protest too much.  :knit:

Сегодня я встретился с моим русским преподавателем.

"Today I met with my tutor."  I could have used uchtil or some other word.  Moving on.

Его зовут Сергей.

"His name is Sergey."  Basic 101 lesson 1, but moving on.

Мы пошли на общих фраз.

"We went over some basic phrases."  фраз is a cognate.  BUT MOVING ON   :dh:

Господи Сергей направлены большую часть сессии на русском языке.

"Mr.  Sergey directed much of the session in Russian."  Yeah, I know you people don't say Mr. or Mrs. or Herr or Senor or Lord, but when I was in class, I learned from a lady that wasn't to keen on our Revolution.  I called her Gashpaj.  I call Sergey Gospodin or Gospod.  And if that makes me a non native speaker or speaker no correcto.  Me no care-o.

Господь Сергею украинские из Харькова, один из городов я могу посетить.

"Mr S is is a Ukrainian from Kharkov from one of the cities I will visit."

Господи Сергей, 25-летний студент по обмену.

"Mr. S is a 25 year old exchange student."

Я пытался читать страницы из истории Севастополе Льва Толстого, но я мог получить только через один пункт.   :'(

"I tried to read a page from Leo Tolstoy's Sevastapol Sketches but I only got through one paragraph."

If you have alternate ways of saying it, then bring the noise.  But unless you are paying my bills.  I'ma gonna do what gangsta I want, you sa've, Missy?

One more thing, I am not taking any advice from no gringo who ain't posted no response video.  That means you Mr. Smiley and you too, Surf Boy.  It is disgraceful and unmanly that grown men, well into middle age can monday morning quarterback without walking a mile in the shoes of the man that's in the arena.  If you are over 30, you're leader.  And the kind of petty nit picky criticism best reserved for sports talk shows is not good leadership.  That's just the way it is.  It's especially disgraceful from 2 former military men.  It's guys like you two on this last post that give credence to the lame crap wifi posts about US ex-mils.  Deal with it.

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2012, 08:50:26 PM »
Better use your native language then such translation if you think the lady doth protest too much.
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2012, 09:35:29 PM »
LT-- gotta hand it to you-- there are more FSUW  contributors in this thread than I have ever seen!!

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2012, 10:58:10 PM »
LT-- gotta hand it to you-- there are more FSUW  contributors in this thread than I have ever seen!!

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar folks.  You the man Jay!