The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Need some pre-trip advice  (Read 131954 times)

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Need some pre-trip advice
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »
LT local travel in Ukraine:
Most people use the train locally between cities.  Also most routes begin or end in Kiev too.  There are the older local evening trains to most cities with compartments for 2 or 4 passengers in sleepers, plus the multi-bunk 3rd class coaches.  However most major cities have been served for 9 years or so with high speed inter-city western European style trains on twice daily schedules.  For example between Kiev and Dnepropetrovsk there are 2 daily trains one around 6 am and another around 6 pm in each direction with travel times of about 6 hours end to end.  Likely there will be a similier service between Kiev and Kharkov as well.  Also the Dnepropetrovsk to Moscow train passes through Kharkov around midnight as Kharkov is the last city stop in Ukraine before the train enters Russia (this route does not go through Kiev).

As you are travelling in the winter the train is likely the best way to get around rather than trying to fly.  Also trains have various types of toilet facilities while buses may have them but be out of order, and something to consider as well.

As to walking around cities in the winter.  Sidewalks freeze at night and thaw creating puddles in the daytime.  Eves have drainspouts that drain directly onto the sidewalks and not into underground sewers in the FSU thus the icy or pooled water on them during the winter season.  However, Ukraine being farther south than Moscow or Saint Petersburg has less of the icy roads than they do in Russia.  Yes, I have been in both Saint Petersburg and Dnepropetrovsk in winter and have experienced this first hand!

Again good luck and enjoy your travels.  Wes.

Offline lordtiberius

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 12:23:07 PM »
LT from your early posts I would fear for your chances and I mean really fear for your chances – However, I would hope that you have learnt a few things since becoming a member here and have ceased your pursuit of unrealistically fancy tail - of course time will tell!!!

You know what?  You're right.  I should just quit.  Does anyone have Dr. Kevorkian's email address?

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 12:23:55 PM »
LT local travel in Ukraine:
Most people use the train locally between cities.  Also most routes begin or end in Kiev too.  There are the older local evening trains to most cities with compartments for 2 or 4 passengers in sleepers, plus the multi-bunk 3rd class coaches.  However most major cities have been served for 9 years or so with high speed inter-city western European style trains on twice daily schedules.  For example between Kiev and Dnepropetrovsk there are 2 daily trains one around 6 am and another around 6 pm in each direction with travel times of about 6 hours end to end.  Likely there will be a similier service between Kiev and Kharkov as well.  Also the Dnepropetrovsk to Moscow train passes through Kharkov around midnight as Kharkov is the last city stop in Ukraine before the train enters Russia (this route does not go through Kiev).

As you are travelling in the winter the train is likely the best way to get around rather than trying to fly.  Also trains have various types of toilet facilities while buses may have them but be out of order, and something to consider as well.

As to walking around cities in the winter.  Sidewalks freeze at night and thaw creating puddles in the daytime.  Eves have drainspouts that drain directly onto the sidewalks and not into underground sewers in the FSU thus the icy or pooled water on them during the winter season.  However, Ukraine being farther south than Moscow or Saint Petersburg has less of the icy roads than they do in Russia.  Yes, I have been in both Saint Petersburg and Dnepropetrovsk in winter and have experienced this first hand!

Again good luck and enjoy your travels.  Wes.

Thank you.  This is really sound advice.  You  :party0031:

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »

Offline BCKev

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »

I am flying into Kiev 1pm on December 18th and want to take the train to Dneproprotovsk. what train station should I take?

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&q=kiev+train+station&fb=1&gl=us&hq=train+station&hnear=0x40d4cf4ee15a4505:0x764931d2170146fe,Kiev,+Kiev+city,+Ukraine&ei=waBwUKedK7HmiwKr-4G4DQ&ved=0CK4BELYD

Thank you!

The Kiev train station indicated as "A" on the link you posted is the main Kiev train station, and the one you want. You can catch a bus to the main train station from the airport. Look for this bus on the right side of the parking lot as you exit terminal B. If you take a taxi, and ask for the train station, this is where you will end up. It's been a couple of years since I've been in Kiev, but I don't expect things have changed much.

BCKev

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »

I am flying into Kiev at 1pm.  My friend on VK says it takes a couple of hours to go through customs and get baggage.  She said because I am arriving on Terminal F, I should go to terminal B and take the purple and white buses to the train station for $ 3 bucks.  It will be an hour long trip to 37 kms or under 20 miles to the central trainstation.  Where I can get a first class ticket to Dneproprotovsk for $ 78.

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&q=kiev+airport&fb=1&gl=us&hq=airport&hnear=0x40d4cf4ee15a4505:0x764931d2170146fe,Kiev,+Kiev+city,+Ukraine&cid=0,0,7568910902932041946&ei=O6lwUL36PKnuiQKPmICYCw&ved=0CIYBEPwSMAA

I have not figured out where I am going to stay but I using this site as a resource:

https://www.airbnb.com/

See anything I am doing wrong or have anything to add?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 05:31:32 PM »
Yes you can do this via the bus. But you will be jet lagged and not all the ticket agents speak English at the train station.

Also the tickets are sold on the basis of reservations for a specific seat/cabin. Will there be said spaces available?

I come back to my suggestion take a winger at the very least. It might cost you an extra $300 but everything will go smoothly.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 05:49:15 PM »
I am flying into Kiev at 1pm.  My friend on VK says it takes a couple of hours to go through customs and get baggage.

The only time it has taken me nearly that long is when my bag was lost.  Otherwise things seem to go quickly there.

Offline MBS01

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2012, 12:41:27 PM »
BCKev:
As to finding the Bus to the Kiev Train Station outside Terminal B at Borispol it may have moved as now all International flights arrive and depart at Terminal F since at least one year ago when the in-laws visited here from Ukraine.  Terminal F was build for the traffic expected this past summer for the European Cup of Soccer held in Ukraine/Poland.  So if the bus is still loading from the same spot LT will first need to locate terminal B having exited terminal F.

Train to Dnepropetrovsk from Kiev:
As you are arriving around 1 pm you should be able to reach the Central Kiev Train Station in time to reserve a seat on the 6pm Express to Dnepropetrovsk which arrives there around midnight.  Best idea would be to have your lady friend meet you at the airport, travel with you to Kiev and take the afternoon Express together.  She will also be able to assist in finding a good flat for you to rent as well.  She should be able to recommend one from the webside you are looking at that is near her home as well.  Also she could check it out in advance for you too.  Remember you are arriving very late (Express train arriving around midnight)  or very early the next day (Evening Sleeper overnight train arriving around 6 or 7 am the next day) in her city.  Either way you will want to settle in shower and adjust for jet-lag etc.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 01:57:57 AM »
BCKev:
As to finding the Bus to the Kiev Train Station outside Terminal B at Borispol it may have moved as now all International flights arrive and depart at Terminal F since at least one year ago when the in-laws visited here from Ukraine.  Terminal F was build for the traffic expected this past summer for the European Cup of Soccer held in Ukraine/Poland.  So if the bus is still loading from the same spot LT will first need to locate terminal B having exited terminal F.

At present Terminal F is only 5% open and most flights still go through Terminal D. There is talk of fully opening F before the new year but long ago they had planned on opening in the first part of this year. My suggestion as you fly in study the maps in the back of Airline Magazines and orient your self. Be prepared to walk through some snow, but the weather must likely will just wet and dreary.

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 02:21:30 AM »
At present Terminal F is only 5% open and most flights still go through Terminal D. There is talk of fully opening F before the new year but long ago they had planned on opening in the first part of this year. My suggestion as you fly in study the maps in the back of Airline Magazines and orient your self. Be prepared to walk through some snow, but the weather must likely will just wet and dreary.

Are you sure about this AvHdB? ;)

Online AvHdB

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 02:33:09 AM »

When we landed there were no planes at the terminal F - the information from the Yuriy was that the new terminal was only slightly used. But there were taxi's waiting in front and delivering passengers. One day some one will fly through and we will hear about it but so far I have not read (or remember) any report from an RUA poster that has been through it.

NB: Vinny have you made a trip to Ukraine through Terminal F and not told RUA about it? Shame on you if true!

Offline Bill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 03:03:50 AM »

When we landed there were no planes at the terminal F - the information from the Yuriy was that the new terminal was only slightly used. But there were taxi's waiting in front and delivering passengers. One day some one will fly through and we will hear about it but so far I have not read (or remember) any report from an RUA poster that has been through it.

NB: Vinny have you made a trip to Ukraine through Terminal F and not told RUA about it? Shame on you if true!

Just checked the flight info page for Kiev Boryspil International Airport and Terminal F looks to be as busy as any other terminal.

http://kbp.aero/en/flights/schedule/

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 06:24:51 AM »

I believe you are mixing up the letters F and D. F has been fully functional for a long time now. D looks completed but there is little life going on there.  :-X

Offline Isthmus

• Spouses Country: Kazakhstan
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 06:34:32 AM »
I am flying into Kiev at 1pm.  My friend on VK says it takes a couple of hours to go through customs and get baggage.

The only time it has taken me nearly that long is when my bag was lost.  Otherwise things seem to go quickly there.

I had a 3.5 hour stopover at Borispol, enroute to Kharkov in August.

I had to clear customs, collect my bags and check in for the Kharkov flight.

Everything was quick and smooth, went through passport control/customs quickly and with no problems, collected my bags quickly and without a hitch. Changed some money, checked in for my flight to Kharkov and still had time for a bite to eat and a pint of beer before flying off.

And yes, I'd recommend flying on to your next destination rather than busing it, have a look at prices on expedia.com, I found a one way flight from Budapest to Kharkov (via Kiev) for a very reasonable $240 USD.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 03:06:56 PM »

I believe you are mixing up the letters F and D. F has been fully functional for a long time now. D looks completed but there is little life going on there.  :-X

Dinny, Not everyone can be fyslexic.  tiphat

Offline Larry

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2012, 03:19:05 PM »

+1

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »

Dinny, Not everyone can be fyslexic.  tiphat

Thut's ni axcuse!!! ;)

BCKev:

This is not correct MBS01. Terminal B is still used for some international flights and in fact I arrived at that terminal a week last Friday on a flight from London.  tiphat

I am flying into Kiev 1pm on December 18th and want to take the train to Dneproprotovsk. what train station should I take?

I am flying into Kiev at 1pm.  My friend on VK says it takes a couple of hours to go through customs and get baggage.  She said because I am arriving on Terminal F, I should go to terminal B and take the purple and white buses to the train station for $ 3 bucks.  It will be an hour long trip to 37 kms or under 20 miles to the central trainstation.  Where I can get a first class ticket to Dneproprotovsk for $ 78.

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&q=kiev+airport&fb=1&gl=us&hq=airport&hnear=0x40d4cf4ee15a4505:0x764931d2170146fe,Kiev,+Kiev+city,+Ukraine&cid=0,0,7568910902932041946&ei=O6lwUL36PKnuiQKPmICYCw&ved=0CIYBEPwSMAA

I have not figured out where I am going to stay but I using this site as a resource:

https://www.airbnb.com/

See anything I am doing wrong or have anything to add?

Yes, I see something wrong here and for some unbeknown reason it makes me angry!!!  ;D

Why would anyone of sound mind, having travelled half way around the world spending many, many hours’ travelling, want to piddle around with buses, trains and donkey carts to complete the final leg of their journey?

There are 4 flights a day from Kiev to Dnep, a perfect one for you would be the 5pm one. Just 1 hours flight and it will cost you not much more than your bus/train/eeyore adventure.

If your friend is correct you will most likely miss the 16.04 train meaning you have to wait and catch the 23:16 one which arrives in Dnep at 07:34, 13.5 hours after the plane you could have caught arrived.

Explain yourself man …..  :8)

Offline JayH

• Watched
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »
He is planning on flying now.
I agree with you Vinny-- too hard to bother other ways--or at least harder than it needs to be.
I  am sure LT will not mind me mentioning this--- guys--please consider how far this guy has come in his short time here--it is in no small way a result of forum that he is actually going and in a waymost approve.Take a bow LT !!

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2012, 01:31:35 AM »
Quote from: Vinnvinny
Yes, I see something wrong here and for some unbeknown reason it makes me angry!!! 

Why would anyone of sound mind, having travelled half way around the world spending many, many hours’ travelling, want to piddle around with buses, trains and donkey carts to complete the final leg of their journey?

There are 4 flights a day from Kiev to Dnep, a perfect one for you would be the 5pm one. Just 1 hours flight and it will cost you not much more than your bus/train/eeyore adventure.

If your friend is correct you will most likely miss the 16.04 train meaning you have to wait and catch the 23:16 one which arrives in Dnep at 07:34, 13.5 hours after the plane you could have caught arrived.

Explain yourself man ….. 

LT,Vinnvinny is spot on, (usually is when dealing with Ukraine)  even if a flight costs a little more than the train/taxi/donkey method, it is peace of mind for you, of actually getting there in a reasonable time frame, and the added cost, is insignificant when embarking on an adventure like this anyway.

Слава Україні

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2012, 12:16:08 PM »
JayH is a great man and a good friend. 

I am sorry if my weak words have angered anyone.  I talked to JayH offline and flying is the better way to go given the conditions in Ukraine. 

I have no plans beyond flying to Dneper and staying in Babushkin which I am told is not a tourist area.  I have never cooked a souffle before how about you?

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2012, 02:09:40 PM »
LT, my first trip years ago from Kiev to Dniper was enough of an experience to write a book so I'm glad you're flying.  :)

I wish you a good trip.

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »
LT, my first trip years ago from Kiev to Dniper was enough of an experience to write a book so I'm glad you're flying.  :)

I wish you a good trip.

:o

Online AvHdB

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2012, 05:21:56 AM »

Regale us, did you go bike in January ?   :rolleye0009:

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2012, 10:23:41 AM »
No, in the early 90's and on a rush I took the only flight left, the overnight flight from hell--the one that made 6 stops in an airplane that smelled like a livestock transport, the stops were 30-40 minutes apart and there was no sleeping even though it was at night. I arrived the next day wishing that I had taken the train or a direct flight instead.