The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Need some pre-trip advice  (Read 132514 times)

Offline lordtiberius

• Trips: 1-5
Need some pre-trip advice
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:52:22 PM »
Well, I have done it.  I booked my ticket.  I am flying Lufthansa.  I leave Monday December 17th leave Tucson at 10:29 am and then after a series of connections I fly into in Kiev at 1:05 pm the next day. 

On Wednesday, January 9th, in the year of Our Lord 2013, I depart Kiev at 05:55 in the morning and am expected to touchdown 5:29 pm Arizona standard time.

My itinerary while in Ukraine is not set.  The following cities are on my trip planner: Kiev, Odessa, Kharkov, Lugansk and Dnipropetrovsk.  Kiev because it is the only place you can fly into from Lufthansa and I have frequent flyer miles.  Kiev because it is the mother of Russia.  Odessa because it is the by reputation a marvelous city.  Kharkov, Lugansk and Dnipropetrovsk because I made a bunch of friends on the Rusky version of facebook.  Thank you to Alexander Cherednichenko for recommending I join that site, which is might I add FREE.

My one correspondent with whom I frequently skype, codename THE CRUEL SPY lives in Dnipropetrovsk.  She is the only one who lives in Dnipropetrovsk.  Everyone else I know lives in Lugansk.  If contact with THE CRUEL SPY goes badly I can retreat to Lugansk or into the care of a professional in the business (Milla of Kharkov).

I decided after my wonderful experience RussianCupid and that I more emotionally suited for the WOVO strategy. 

I am arriving 8 days ahead of my fellow traveler who is expected to depart Appalachia the day after Christmas or the day after the day after Christmas.  (He's a breeder, I am not.)  His associate lives in Kharkov.  I told my fellow traveller I would meet him at the airport. 

I already have my passport.  I don't think I need a visa to visit Ukraine.  I triple checked it, but I could be wrong. This is the first time I will be traveling to a foreign country without a government issued license to kill AND I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO ANY KIND OF SPIT.  So any advise anyone has would be most appreciated.

So barring any catastrophes or unforeseen fore-see-ables, I am crossing the Rubicon.

Offline Fussy

• Spouses Country: Australia
Re: Need some pre-trip advice
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 05:11:09 AM »
Same situation here! WOVO, waiting for visa.

Good luck!

Offline missAmeno

• Spouses Country: ukraine
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 06:16:45 AM »
Kiev because it is the mother of Russia.

Eh ?!
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, ideals, thoughts, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »

Eh ?!

I think he was trying to say/mean in the context of Kievan Rus
Слава Україні

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 07:56:44 AM »
 get your cell phone unlocked, and buy a SIM card for it once you land in Ukraine. the phone will be your lifeline unless you can speak very good Russian, if you speak poor Russian many will not have the time for you... buy the SIM card.

Enjoy the trip, I have been to a few of those cities, and have enjoyed my time there. In my trip report you can see some photos of areas in Ukraine.

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouses Country: Belarus
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 08:20:52 AM »
Don't forget to inform your financial institutions that you will be traveling abroad so you can use your debit/CC's. Also be sure to take only crisp new bills with no writing on them.

Electric outlet adaptors are also a must!

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 09:41:10 AM »
Don't forget to inform your financial institutions that you will be traveling abroad so you can use your debit/CC's. Also be sure to take only crisp new bills with no writing on them.

Electric outlet adaptors are also a must!

I told them.  I bank with Wells Fargo. I will tell them a couple of times before I depart.  I heard Ukraine is the credit card scam capital of the world and that I should only use ATMs

Eh ?!

I think he was trying to say/mean in the context of Kievan Rus

Kiev is the mother of Russia according to this film:

get your cell phone unlocked, and buy a SIM card for it once you land in Ukraine. the phone will be your lifeline unless you can speak very good Russian, if you speak poor Russian many will not have the time for you... buy the SIM card.

Enjoy the trip, I have been to a few of those cities, and have enjoyed my time there. In my trip report you can see some photos of areas in Ukraine.

You are right.  Where would I buy this and how much would it cost?  Thank you again!

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:50:58 AM »
Don't forget the Great Gates of Kiev

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:59:05 AM »
Hi:
Glad to see you are actually getting on the plane.  As to flying, I thought that Lufthanza also connected into Dnepropetrovsk from Germany as well as into Kiev, although we have not used their service all the way previously.  Lately we have used Aerosvit to Kiev and then onto Dnepropetrovsk.

As to visiting Ukraine most western countries such as Canada and the USA have not required visas since Ukraine hosted the Eurofest TV Singing contect back in 2004.  So all you need is your passport.

As to making a good connection lady wise there are many of us here (myself included) who have found and married a lady from Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine.  Since you are visiting around our Christmas and into the New Year most places close from December 31 to after January 7 which is the Orthodox Charistmas.  So do not expect to find much in the way of concerts, theatre or other entertainment as everyone is off celebrating the holiday season there.  However with over 1.5 million residents you will find Dnepropetrovsk a great city to visit and explore in the company of your lady.

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 10:03:47 PM »
Kiev is the mother of Russia

Absolutely. One cannot appreciate modern Russia without a journey through her past. Kiev (Kiev), the Golden Ring outside Moscow and northern cities such as Novgorod are a part of the very beginnings of this journey.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 11:36:35 PM »
Grats on taking the big step.  I have a few words based on my 2 trips but I have a question...how are you getting to the outlying cities like Lugansk (which is way out there)?  Maybe I missed it..but are you flying to each city (Donetsk for Lugansk) or brave enough (maybe crazy like I was) to rent a car?  That time of year is bad to drive with all the snow and ice and the drivers are pretty crazy to begin with (no offense to the wonderful Ukrainians and Russians reading this) it was merely my observation....the roads are horrible also..they will be the first to admit that and there are no road signs in English (well I did see a few actually).  Unless you have a Russian speaking companion, getting gas and directions can be an adventure.  A good GPS with updated Eastern Europe database worked well for me over there (Garmin)...

If you are flying..disregard the above but be sure to arrive at the airport at least 3 hours (4 is better) before your flight.  Especially the one in Kiev returning home (although it is very early so may not be an issue).  There are at least 3 passport control and bag checks and being American you can count on having your bags searched.  They are friendly about it though.

Don't act like an American.  I know that sounds terrible but it can get you into trouble.  Use common sense if you drink..do not do it alone and then wander off alone down a dark street after flashing money in a bar.  Blend in.  Treat them with kindness and respect and they will return most in kind.  They are not accustomed to receiving tips so that usually goes over well.

Police....avoid them at all costs.  If you happen to have a run in..be respectful but at the same time...stand your ground.  They are usually looking for bribes.  Refuse politely and firmly.  Unless you have actually broken the law, they will not do anything..they will just try to keep you there until you break and pay a bribe.  Refuse and basically force them to do something because you need to go...there are some good videos on youtube about dealings with police over there...some are very entertaining

ATM machines work great.  They are in English or Russian and the transaction fee with Wells Fargo is very reasonable.  The conversion rate is ~ 8 Hr to 1 USD.  Use their ATM's..don't bother exchanging before you go over there as there are large fees associated with the sale of foreign currency.  The ATM's work great.

No VISA required from USA.  Just need your passport...oh and if you are driving..you will need a International Driving Permit.  You can get them quick and easy at your local AAA office for $15.00 and they are good for a year.

Generally speaking, if you need help..ask for it...they are pretty much always willing to help out.  The older folks may sneer and walk away but don't be offended, they do not speak English in all likelyhood and have places to go.

Do not point..it is considered rude.

That's really all I can think of for now.  Just be careful and have fun..it is an amazing country.

Michael
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 06:55:28 PM »
Do not point...it is considered rude.

So true.

Welcome to RUA Mike!

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 08:29:57 PM »
Grats on taking the big step.  I have a few words based on my 2 trips but I have a question...how are you getting to the outlying cities like Lugansk (which is way out there)?  Maybe I missed it..but are you flying to each city (Donetsk for Lugansk) or brave enough (maybe crazy like I was) to rent a car?  That time of year is bad to drive with all the snow and ice and the drivers are pretty crazy to begin with (no offense to the wonderful Ukrainians and Russians reading this) it was merely my observation....the roads are horrible also..they will be the first to admit that and there are no road signs in English (well I did see a few actually).  Unless you have a Russian speaking companion, getting gas and directions can be an adventure.  A good GPS with updated Eastern Europe database worked well for me over there (Garmin)...

I would not drive in Ukraine - Find a driver who you trust and treat him well - you will arrive alive and in one piece.

. . . be sure to arrive at the airport at least 3 hours (4 is better) before your flight.  Especially the one in Kiev returning home (although it is very early so may not be an issue).  There are at least 3 passport control and bag checks and being American you can count on having your bags searched.  They are friendly about it though.

Yes I would arrive at the airport about three hours before departure and enjoy the coffee. But once checked in there is just like the rest of the world for departure two controls. One passport and the second hand baggage and they will check here you boarding pass and passport again. Usually at the gate/bus they just want your boarding pass.

Don't act like an American.  I know that sounds terrible but it can get you into trouble.  Use common sense if you drink..do not do it alone and then wander off alone down a dark street after flashing money in a bar.  Blend in.  Treat them with kindness and respect and they will return most in kind.  They are not accustomed to receiving tips so that usually goes over well.

I have observed a fair number of Irish and French play the part of idiots in the former Soviet Union. Behave as you would at your local bar and assuming that the you do not trash the local place you will do fine.

Police....avoid them at all costs.  If you happen to have a run in..be respectful but at the same time...stand your ground.  They are usually looking for bribes.  Refuse politely and firmly.  Unless you have actually broken the law, they will not do anything..they will just try to keep you there until you break and pay a bribe.  Refuse and basically force them to do something because you need to go...there are some good videos on youtube about dealings with police over there...some are very entertaining

If you talk allot with them they tend to relax and go looking for something else to do.

ATM machines work great.  They are in English or Russian and the transaction fee with Wells Fargo is very reasonable.  The conversion rate is ~ 8 Hr to 1 USD.  Use their ATM's..don't bother exchanging before you go over there as there are large fees associated with the sale of foreign currency.  The ATM's work great.

No VISA required from USA.  Just need your passport.

Be careful that you get your card back from the Ukraine/Russian ATM often they will try to sell you some service that you need to decline. Also inform your bank that you are traveling in Europe or you may be in for a surprise. Some banks will not allow you to withdraw money from your ATM/CC when you are in countries of Eastern Europe. But oddly enough most of the fraud occurs in Brussels and London.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 10:55:45 PM »
Mike,

I have no idea how I am going to get around.  I thought about using the local transportation as I took a year or so of college Russian and part of the experience is to immerse myself in the culture

Offline JayH

• Watched
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 11:18:13 PM »
Good advice from Mike I think.  I drive everywhere myself in Ukraine and have covered more than 10000kms over 2 years on different trips. I have driven many inter city routes. I know most guys think they are good drivers but before driving in Ukraine-- you need to think in ultimate driving skills perspective.generally I think the drivers in Ukraine drive very well-- but by US standards they do seemingly crazy things -- and rely on other drivers to make the accident not happen!! You need to be a 110% involved driver if you are not going to stress yourself out.
        When I first went to Ukraine I had very few words of Russian (still to few!!) but I did all the things I normally would do-- re-fuel car, go to supermarket & street markets,street stalls ,bought flowers(often !)restaurants etc-- and always found a way to communicate. In some out of the way places I had great fun as locals sought to help me with whatever-very often younger people( sometimes still school age) had a little english that saw them pump up with pride that were able to talk with --or at least understand each other. Often it attracted a crowd we all laughed and smiled our way thru all this--I loved these moments--it showed me the real character of these people. I often had people offer an english word as I was leaving-- I always responded and got a smile when they explained they only had a few words- it is always fun to me.
          At the time LT is there it is the start of the height(depth?) of winter and I would be super carefull about driving  --the conditions  are not like anything you will have experienced(Arizona?). I  only plan on short distance driving in January into February.

Mike A V8 R---- is name related to something specific that driving in Ukr was not an issue for you?

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 12:28:53 AM »
LT

I think all the comments above are relevant and I am sure there will be more.  If (when) I do it again, I may drive if the distances are shorter and the weather is warmer...but never again in the winter.  You are just asking to become a statistic.  I agree with AvHdB in that it is a good idea to hire a driver from a reliable source (many on websites that provide those services or perhaps a reputable agency).  You will definitely immerse in the culture if you use the public transportation.  From what I saw, it is the most common form of transportation as there are not many car owners.  You cannot cross a street without a near miss from a taxi, route taxi (similar to an airport shuttle) or bus as they are literally everywhere.  I did not use them because I had the car and know maybe 6 words of Russian.  I think you would enjoy it and learn quite a bit from the experience with your year of the language.

Agree Jay...110% attention to other drivers...good advice.  I experienced the same with the younger (University students) ladies that loved to work on their English skills and it drew a crowd also....fun times.

I said 3 maybe 4 hours early for the airport because I was there 3 hours early and still managed to miss my flight and then had to buy another ticket because I was not early enough (according to the pleasant ticket agent)...the lines are long everywhere and slow..especially at the passport control and the security check.  I thought of something else...I recommend staying in a place close to the airport the night before.  If it is Kiev, I highly recommend the Korona Hotel (+380 (50) 707 08 07 )..it is 5km from the airport (in Borispol), they speak very good English, have a great restaurant that is family run with good food and a shuttle to the airport (40 Hr) each way.  If you rent a car..return it the day before your flight and have the shuttle pick you up at the airport for your night at the hotel.

My AT&T iPhone worked well there for voice (be sure to get the world traveler option and international roaming and data packages before you go if you think you may need them)...turn off the actual data roaming feature on your phone though or you will be in for a shock.  You will find a great deal of wi fi in cafes, hotels and restaurants there and most are free ( I was shocked by that) so I took advantage of that.  Cancel all of that the day you get back and you will only be charged for the days you had it active.  My plan for the next trip though is to just use my phone for data and to purchase a pre-paid phone at the airport or one of the many kiosks around the cities for short talks while in the country...might save some money that way....it is a local number and can be used to coordinate your meetings, call your hotel or airport or friends, etc.....something to consider.

Jay....the name is what you are thinking (aviator) so no it did not help with the 4 wheeled vehicle over there...I give a lot of credit to the GPS and 32 years of driving.  I honestly would feel more comfortable flying over there than driving... :thumbsup:

Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 12:54:11 AM »
It isn't like flying from Boston to Podunk, Arkansas to rent a car for a week. The FSU is among the world leaders in car theft and in some cases your rental contract could state that if you lose the car via theft, you pay for the car. If you're parked on the side of the road and a drunken Russian plows into you, guess who is somehow at fault?

There are two cars parked in the garage of our Moscow home most days but I never drive alone without a Russian relative in the car. The fact that I speak Russian has no bearing on whether or not I'd be at fault were it me sitting on the side of the road and a drunk plowed into the car. I can't tell you not to drive, but I believe that for most visitors it is very unwise in most cases. About two years ago my wife and daughter drove to Volgograd to pick up an elderly aunt. For years that had been a train trip and as they drove back the first evening she thought she might be lost. Seeing a policeman she pulled over to ask for directions and was promptly fined (bribe) as the officer cited her for driving without proper knowledge of where she was going.

There are a few members, like Manny for instance, who drives thru the FSU all the time and the point is that as a resident he drives thru the FSU all the time. That is far different from someone who is unfamiliar with the territory.

Offline JayH

• Watched
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 02:48:52 AM »
Mike-- I have stayed at Korona  a few times  ,both on late arrival  and leaving.Basically used the strategy you outlined.It is not 5 star--but cheap and clean-- and very hospitable.The also have dormitory accommodation that is ultra-cheap for backpacker types( seen requests here about cheap cheap cheap-- if that is your go--look at it) The very cheap hostel part seems to bring a visually interesting young clientele!
Mende-- far be for me to to ever try and dispute anything with you!! First re Rental cars-- I have used one of the major international companies that I use around the world-- and also some very cheap local Ukraine car rental companies. In summary -- the crux of the agreements are not too much different to western countries and insurance issues read the same. Generally they will brief you on local requirements in case of accident-- takes a little to get your head around! Also have 24 hour support( not quite the acceptable standard in practice) . So-- up to this point--I see no reason not to rent a car.

Offline soyoukan

• andy wright online
  • Spouses Country: UK
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 10:00:32 AM »
For years that had been a train trip and as they drove back the first evening she thought she might be lost. Seeing a policeman she pulled over to ask for directions and was promptly fined (bribe) as the officer cited her for driving without proper knowledge of where she was going.

hmm, maybe they're onto a good thing and we should have it over here-  driving too damn slowly and driving like a d***k... spring to mind

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 01:34:11 AM »
It isn't like flying from Boston to Podunk, Arkansas to rent a car for a week. The FSU is among the world leaders in car theft and in some cases your rental contract could state that if you lose the car via theft, you pay for the car. If you're parked on the side of the road and a drunken Russian plows into you, guess who is somehow at fault?

There are two cars parked in the garage of our Moscow home most days but I never drive alone without a Russian relative in the car. The fact that I speak Russian has no bearing on whether or not I'd be at fault were it me sitting on the side of the road and a drunk plowed into the car. I can't tell you not to drive, but I believe that for most visitors it is very unwise in most cases. About two years ago my wife and daughter drove to Volgograd to pick up an elderly aunt. For years that had been a train trip and as they drove back the first evening she thought she might be lost. Seeing a policeman she pulled over to ask for directions and was promptly fined (bribe) as the officer cited her for driving without proper knowledge of where she was going.

There are a few members, like Manny for instance, who drives thru the FSU all the time and the point is that as a resident he drives thru the FSU all the time. That is far different from someone who is unfamiliar with the territory.

No way am I driving down there.  Snow driving?  I am from Arizona  Also about 20 years ago I went to Spring break and got an accident but I wasn't driving.  The policia threw the woman I was with in jail.  No way Jose.

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 05:09:22 AM »
It isn't like flying from Boston to Podunk, Arkansas to rent a car for a week.

Podunk is in fact in Connecticut - I think Samuel Clemens referred to it in letter or short story.

Lord Tiberius if you need a good English speaking driver with a safe car (4WD) I can recommend one. Assuming you are traveling on an American passport you will not need a visa.

Further I would encourage you to get a large paper map of Ukraine and get the same sort of map of the South West. With that in hand you might want to figure out the distances between say Lugansk and Odessa. Or for that matter Kiev and Lugansk. My suggestion once you get to Kiev spend a few days there and see the sights. This will also give you a chance to get over the jet lag and get used to the weather. You can move around by train but it is different than say Metro North.

During December Kiev can be cold or it can be wet, sometimes both - one thing it is not ~ Arizona. Also you are only crossing the Atlantic and most of the European continent the Rubicon is further down the schema. (Just about when you find Lady Tiberius)  So you know the people in Ukraine use toilets as well as laugh and cry, they also use forks and knifes as American's.

You should purchase in a kiosk on one of the underground passages a foon just like your own mobile as well as a prepaid SIM card. The saleswoman who might be cute will program everything including putting the default setting to American English. The foon, SIM card, and set up will cost between 100 and 400 depending on model and how many minutes you load on the foon.

Also you need to inform your bank that issues your credit/debit cards of your travel plans other wise you will not get any wall funds. The dollar bills you take should be clean and crisp. Have a variety for $10, 20 50 and some 100 you should be able to conceal them discretely.

Your friend, the breeder as in horses? December January is an odd time to travel to Ukraine. Also are not the choices better in Czech and Slovakia. Easier to transport out of these regions as well.

Offline BCKev

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 07:31:13 AM »
Mike,

I have no idea how I am going to get around.  I thought about using the local transportation as I took a year or so of college Russian and part of the experience is to immerse myself in the culture

Consider taking the train on your tour around Ukraine. It is a great way to travel and economical.  A trip from Donetsk to Kiev would probably be 12 to 15 hours so you if you are limited in the time you have available, you may want to fly the longer distances.

Have a great trip!

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 11:44:54 AM »
LT from your early posts I would fear for your chances and I mean really fear for your chances – However, I would hope that you have learnt a few things since becoming a member here and have ceased your pursuit of unrealistically fancy tail - of course time will tell!!!

Myself I travel on 20th December through to 10th January (not Ukraine but far eastern Russia) and am likely to be away from this site for that period, so will be unable to follow your progress, I sincerely hope you prove my fears wrong and have successful trip!
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 03:17:52 PM »
LT from your early posts I would fear for your chances and I mean really fear for your chances – However, I would hope that you have learnt a few things since becoming a member here and have ceased your pursuit of unrealistically fancy tail - of course time will tell!!!

Tiberius, I also have my fears but there is only way to find out and that is get on the silver bird. Curious have you thought of using a winger to help and aid you?

Myself I travel on 20th December through to 10th January (not Ukraine but far eastern Russia) and am likely to be away from this site for that period, so will be unable to follow your progress, . . .

RUA will follow your progress we also assumes that yuo will bring gifts to Millaa in Vladivostok.

Remember that you will be expierence 2 Christmas's ~ we hope you will be a fine & jolly Santa Claus and dispense gifts with aplomb and merriment!

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 11:54:51 PM »
Myself I travel on 20th December through to 10th January (not Ukraine but far eastern Russia) and am likely to be away from this site for that period, so will be unable to follow your progress, . . .

RUA will follow your progress we also assumes that yuo will bring gifts to Millaa in Vladivostok.

Remember that you will be expierence 2 Christmas's ~ we hope you will be a fine & jolly Santa Claus and dispense gifts with aplomb and merriment!
We will be spending the first 7 days in Millaa’s fair city then we will continue up to Nikolayevsk-on-Amur (I am guessing this may be a RUA first) – I have decided to travel up by train (approx 24 hour journey) as I have always wanted to do the long train ride thing in FSU so this seemed like the perfect opportunity – I will probably regret it!! We will then come back to Vlad for a few more days before flying home!!

I am taking the laptop with me so will write a few thoughts while traveling + take plenty of photos – it should make one of the more unique trip reports!!

Christmas is a common time for my FSU travels (extra holiday from work) so I have experienced the double Christmas a few timess now - never seem to get double presents though :(
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Registration