The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Onshore Offshore Investment Trends and Opps  (Read 11897 times)

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
Onshore Offshore Investment Trends and Opps
« on: September 22, 2012, 01:10:05 PM »
The Sovereign Society was introduced to me by some RUA Stalwarts none other than Manny of Manchester and Chris of Blackpool who Manny credits as having clued him in to Sovereign Society.

Disclaimer: I receive no remuneration or affiliate fees from RUA or Sovereign Society  :smokin:

As this RUA adventure requires significant finance I thought it might be interesting to share and post the weekly Sovereign Society wrap-ups and periodical alerts and see if any interest in discussing - hoping it does not devolve into previous Daytraders bravado threads that loose the interest of serious long term business people and investors so as the OP if there are any contributions here that are more testosterone than useful discourse I will ask the Mods to clean up accordingly - a lot is happening in our world and the Sovereign Society Weekly Wrapup always seems to uncover something interesting:

Sovereign Investor Saturday 22 September 2012:

This Week in The Sovereign Investor...
Here are the highlights from this week's Sovereign Investor articles...

Monday, September 17 – Forget the Riots and Invest in This Country Now

If you’ve been watching the news lately, no doubt you’ve seen pictures coming out of Egypt of protestors climbing the walls of the U.S. embassy and setting fire to the American flag. It seems like you’d have to be crazy to invest there, but according to Jeff Opdyke, Editor of The Sovereign individual, the time to buy Egypt is now. With the best performing stock market this year and solid underlying fundamentals, Egypt has a lot more going for it than the headlines would have you think. Click here to read more:
http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/09/17/invest-in-the-surprising-emerging-market/

Tuesday, September 18 – The Fed’s Latest Plan is About to Trigger the Next Bubble

Ben Bernanke has time and time again shown that when it comes to predicting the economy, he, like most economists, is terrible at it. As Evaldo Albuquerque, Senior Analyst, says, Bernanke’s latest claims that inflation won’t be a problem will probably be just another failed prediction to add to his track record. As the Fed’s latest round of unlimited QE looks to create another financial bubble, Evaldo sees one sector that will shoot higher as investors realize Bernanke is wrong yet again. To see what Evaldo thinks will benefit from this new bubble,
http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/09/18/precious-metals-will-soon-soar/

Wednesday, September 19 – The “Bad News” Indicator Says This Sector is About to Turn Around

Sean Hyman, Editor of Commodity Trend Alert, believes that the old saying about it being “darkest before the dawn” applies to investing. In his 20 years of watching the markets, he says that when the news seems like it can’t get any worse, that’s when a market or sector is nearing the bottom. He calls it the point of “maximum pessimism,” and right now, he says that one commodity in particular has just hit it. To see which commodity Sean thinks is about to rebound, click here to read more. http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/09/19/the-price-of-iron-ore-is-set-to-soar/

Thursday, September 20 – The Next Generation of Big Brother’s Assault on Our Privacy

Bob Bauman, Offshore and Asset Protection Editor, says that privacy is dead in the United States. In the years since the PATRIOT Act was passed, we continue to draw closer to a future predicted in movies likeMinority Report, with an all-seeing, all-knowing government keeping tabs on everything we do. The latest assault to our privacy comes from the FBI and their proposed Next-Generation Identification program – and if they have their way, there will be nowhere in America to escape their watch. To see what you can do to help reclaim your lost privacy, click here to read more.
http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/09/20/new-ngi-program-will-take-away-your-liberties/

Friday, September 21 – Where to Invest in the Agricultural Super-Bull Market

The world’s cocoa supply is facing a variety of threats, from protests over transportation costs to aging, disease-riddled trees. According to Jeff Opdyke, Editor of The Sovereign Individual, the world is about to face a cocoa shortage that could send prices skyrocketing. This comes just as demand is growing across emerging markets around the world. And, as Jeff says, cocoa is just the first sign of a much larger problem in the world’s food supply. To learn how this crisis is unfolding – and where you should be investing to benefit from it – click here to read more. 
http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/09/21/agricultural-sector-is-about-to-explode/

Until next week,

Mark S Smith
P.S. As the Fed continues to ineptly fiddle with the economy, and the government continues to chip away at our privacy and personal freedoms, the need to find a better future for you and your finances is more important than ever. In his Offshore Confidential, Bob Bauman has created the ultimate Wealth Protection Resource for frustrated Americans. From high-yield offshore bank accounts to the world’s safest retirement communities, this is the information that will help you lead a richer, freer life. To learn more, click here.  http://www.sovereignsociety.com/pages/bof/BOC_295.php?pub=ULT_295&code=EBOFN917
Saturday, September 22, 2012

If you watch the news, you know the American financial system is in trouble…

But you can protect yourself.

I’ve spent 40 years uncovering wealth protection secrets Washington doesn’t want you to know about… secrets that will help you combat inflation, protect your hard-earned dollar, and live a richer, freer life… no matter what the U.S. Government is doing.

And I would like to reveal them to you today.

For details, click here.
http://us.mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=88g1ha8p8tbqn

Faithfully Yours,

Bob Bauman
Legal Counsel, The Sovereign Society

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Onshore Offshore Investment Trends and Opps
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 01:19:35 PM »
Quote from: Cuffy
Manny of Manchester and Chris of Blackpool

:laugh: you make us sound like some of Robin Hoods band of merry men, Robin of Sherwood and Guy of Gisburn etc we just need a Friar Tuck and Maid Marian and were ready for anything   :chuckle:
Слава Україні

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 01:21:55 PM »
Quote from: Cuffy
Manny of Manchester and Chris of Blackpool

:laugh: you make us sound like some of Robin Hoods band of merry men, Robin of Sherwood and Guy of Gisburn etc we just need a Friar Tuck and Maid Marian and were ready for anything   :chuckle:

LOL I am normally jolly and sort of built like the Friar and live in New Hampshire near forests I guess I will have to do for now  :biggrin:

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 03:45:12 PM »
I knew of the Sovereign Society before I met Chris; it turned out - quite coincidentally - that he knew of them too.

I came by the Sovereign Society from a series of books by Info-Assist, Scope International and Dr W. G. Hill in the early 90's - all now defunct at the hands of the US Government.  :-\

The Sovereign Society, surprisingly, survived. They are a clean face of what governments regard as a shady business.

Is Bob Bauman still in the chair Cuffy? Edit: Now I have read above, I now see he is.

The SS have some great investment tips. I used to get a paper periodical called the Mouse Monitor that they were behind. One day in the mid 90's, they tipped gold heavily as a long term hold, and had a three page spread why they thought it was a big buy. I didn't bother.  :'(
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Chris

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 05:52:30 AM »
As a matter of interest, have both of you listened to the Jeff Opdyke - "Americas Final Unwind" tape? interesting if nothing else.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 05:55:59 AM »
I knew of the Sovereign Society before I met Chris; it turned out - quite coincidentally - that he knew of them too.

I came by the Sovereign Society from a series of books by Info-Assist, Scope International and Dr W. G. Hill in the early 90's - all now defunct at the hands of the US Government.  :-\

I recall us discussing Dr W. G. Hill many years ago.You can still buy some of his books BTW, although I agree, most if not all are now way out of date.
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 12:31:31 PM »
As a matter of interest, have both of you listened to the Jeff Opdyke - "Americas Final Unwind" tape? interesting if nothing else.

I never heard of him - I shall look it up.

Yes, I had all the Hill books bar one. I put them on eBay a couple of years ago actually.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline leeholsen

• Houston-NASA, the oil biz+too much country+western
    • Loveland Ski Area
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 01:51:58 PM »

great site, i'll keep checking it out.

gotta disagree with his iron ore turnaround thru as China is declining just as fast as europe now in production and thats not turning around.

if you watch blloomberg, you'll see austrailia is struggling with selling its ore to china now; thats not turning around anytime soon.
Eat 'em up Houston Cougars !

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »

gotta disagree with his iron ore turnaround thru as China is declining just as fast as europe now in production and thats not turning around.

if you watch blloomberg, you'll see austrailia is struggling with selling its ore to china now; thats not turning around anytime soon.

As the markets lead the economies the point is to buy when blood is running in the streets at the point of mazimum pessimism as USA and much of Latin America have a massive infrastructure to rebuild  besides the rest of the AsiaPac and India regions.  I read the coal/iron steel article and iirc they were suggesting specific ETFs.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 10:26:15 PM »

As the markets lead the economies the point is to buy when blood is running in the streets at the point of maximum pessimism as USA and much of Latin America have a massive infrastructure to rebuild  besides the rest of the AsiaPac and India regions.  I read the coal/iron steel article and iirc they were suggesting specific ETFs.

Coincidentally Russian Steel Producer Bonds were SEVEN times over subscribed at the global point of maximum pessimism regarding Steel - when it comes to Russians they are the definition of Smart Money:

September 20, 2012, 5:07 PM CET
Russian Corporate Debt Issuance Steals a March on European Counterparts

http://blogs.wsj.com/emergingeurope/2012/09/20/russian-corporate-debt-issuance-steals-a-march-on-european-counterparts/

Evidence that Russian companies can sell riskier debt than their Western European counterparts has never been more underlined than in recent debt sales.

Russian steelmaker Novolipetsk Steel, rated just one notch above junk, raised $500 million seven-year money at a yield of 4.95% via its debut international bond Thursday, despite operating in a sector that isn’t much loved these days. Its bond was nine times oversubscribed, according to an investor.

In contrast, debt sales by euro-zone steel companies have been scarce this year.

Global steel production looks set to post the lowest level of growth this year since 2009, say analysts at Macquarie Bank MQG.AU -0.46%. In contrast the outlook for the Russian steel market sector remains strong, reflecting favorable domestic demand.

Demand for steel is being fueled by Russia’s economy that’s growing unlike the sluggish or even negative stats seen in the euro zone. The Russian economy is forecast to grow 4% for 2012 and 2013, according to the International Monetary Fund whereas the IMF forecasts growth in the euro zone at only 0.7% in 2013, and a 0.3% contraction for 2012.

And Novolipetsk Steel is not alone. Russia-based OJSC Alfa Bank Wednesday sold a $750 million subordinated bond — debt that sits one above equity in the bank’s balance sheet and is first to absorb losses should the bank default. Subordinated bonds are generally only seen from highly-rated and highly credit-worthy banks from the core of Europe given banks’ high risk correlation with European sovereigns.

Indeed, banks from Europe have managed to issue much less than Russian banks. In 2012 so far banks from Russia have issued $2.6 billion of subordinated debt, according to data provided by Dealogic. Over the same period, Italian borrowers issued $165 million and Spanish banks have issued none.

Alfa Bank’s seven-year bond was initially offered to investors yielding in the high 7% region but due to good demand was lowered to 7.5%

But investors should take heart. With Russia’s economic growth set to continue, there’s likely to be more investment opportunities yielding attractive returns as Russian borrowers seek to fund their growth.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 12:17:15 PM »
This Week in The Sovereign Investor...

Here are the highlights from this week's Sovereign Investorarticles...

Monday, September 24 – The Future of America: Think Small

In Baton Rouge – the hometown of Jeff Opdyke, Editor of The Sovereign Individual – the school district finds itself in a state of turmoil. Parents and political leaders of smaller communities in the area, tired of not having control over how their tax dollars are spent and their children are educated, want to break away and form their own school district. This isn’t an issue isolated to just Baton Rouge – all across the country, people are realizing that smaller is better. To see what Jeff thinks this means for the country in the long run,
http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/09/24/large-government-is-on-its-way-out/.

One of the first financial research groups to warn investors about the global derivatives crisis is now warning of an even bigger crisis – one so big, it will thrust America into a cataclysmic new economic era!

But even as America unravels – and it will do so virtually overnight - there are still ways you could shelter yourself from the coming fall-out – even profit from it… and not just in financial terms but in many other ways as well…

http://www.sovereignsociety.com/pages/svs/video/final_unwind_video_premium_shortvid.php?pub=UNWIND&code=ESVSN891

With two of its biggest policy weapons, the Fed has declared war on investors looking for income. According to Evaldo Albuquerque, Senior Analyst, the Fed’s zero interest rate policy means that traditional income sources such as Treasuries and money market accounts will get you nothing, while quantitative easing means that inflation will eat away at the stock dividends that remain. To find out how Evaldo says you can escape this two-pronged attack,
http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/09/25/how-the-fed-is-increasing-inflation-rate/

Wednesday, September 26 – How to Start Lawyer-Proofing Your Life in 72 Hours

Bob Bauman, Offshore and Asset Protection Editor, says if you’re waiting for a problem to start knocking at your door before you come up with an asset protection strategy, then it’s already too late. The time to start planning is now, and it doesn’t have to be difficult. One easy way to start protecting your future financial well-being is with an offshore asset protection trust, and Bob says you can start setting one up in as little as three days.
http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/09/26/lawyer-proof-your-life-in-cook-islands/

Thursday, September 27 – The Cheapest Play on Gold Today

As Jeff Opdyke, Editor of The Sovereign Individual, explains, the Fed’s continued dedication to pumping more money into the economy is Ben Bernanke’s indirect way of telling us, “Buy Gold!” Every dollar the Fed prints means a rise in the intrinsic value of every ounce of gold. While investors have already factored this message into the value of the world’s major gold miners, Jeff says there are still plenty of opportunities to be found in junior miners. To see why Jeff thinks junior miners are a smart way to speculate on gold today,
http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/09/27/invest-in-junior-gold-miners/
 Friday, September 28 – Five Steps to Take Before Moving Your Money Offshore

Though many politicians like to frame anyone with an offshore bank account as being part of some dark conspiracy, Bob Bauman, Offshore and Asset Protection Editor, says there is nothing sinister about being smart with where you place your money. Offshore bank accounts are not a tool for tax evasion, but they can give you access to unique investment opportunities and a level of privacy no longer found here in the U.S. Before you move your money offshore, however, Bob recommends taking a few simple steps in preparation.
http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/09/28/how-to-find-the-right-safe-haven/

Until next week,

Mark S Smith
P.S. This week, Bob Bauman took a look at two important tools in helping to build a better financial future for yourself and your family offshore: the asset protection trust and opening an offshore bank account. But, these are just two options out of many – in Offshore Confidential, Bob has assembled the ultimate Wealth Protection Resource for frustrated Americans. From high-yield offshore bank accounts to the world’s safest retirement communities, this is the information that will help you lead a richer, freer life. To learn more,
http://www.sovereignsociety.com/pages/bof/BOC_295.php?pub=ULT_295&code=EBOFN952

Online BC

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 04:47:59 AM »
Cuffy,

Again your irritating copy/paste favorite blog post.. now including advertisements...

Do you really find it helpful?

I would much rather read your original if rambling words instead of this crappola.  Every time you post something 'sovereign' it's like fingernails drawn down the chalkboard.

Sure, each of us have our fav sources, but your inability to digest instead of regurgitate is astounding.  In the end you are just picking out what you like to hear and reposting. The theater is full, awaiting the performance but you insist on appeasing with previews.

:popcorn:

Offline Manny

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 10:21:22 AM »
Cuffy,

Again your irritating copy/paste favorite blog post.. now including advertisements...

I would much rather read your original if rambling words instead of this crappola.  Every time you post something 'sovereign' it's like fingernails drawn down the chalkboard.

Sure, each of us have our fav sources, but your inability to digest instead of regurgitate is astounding.  In the end you are just picking out what you like to hear and reposting. The theater is full, awaiting the performance but you insist on appeasing with previews.

You could simply choose not to read the topic.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 12:52:47 PM »
Cuffy,

Dear BC you annoying DB it is MY thread if you do not like it STAY THE EFF AWAY I do not troll your Threads why the need to TROLL mine - ah yes to demonstrate your self important superior liberal intellect - interesting if you read the advertorial topic about the demise of the US middle class it would give you great Schadenfreude glee as it predicts the demise of the USA a subject near and dear to your now EURO centric anti american social justice sensibilities.

I hope it is not true but Sovereign Society is actually a fairly sober group so worth paying attention to.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 12:53:35 PM »
Cuffy,

You could simply choose not to read the topic.
+1 put much more politely than I - Manny the class act as usual.

In review see emphasis:

Disclaimer: I receive no remuneration or affiliate fees from RUA or Sovereign Society 

As this RUA adventure requires significant finance I thought it might be interesting to share and post the weekly Sovereign Society wrap-ups and periodical alerts and see if any interest in discussing - hoping it does not devolve into previous Daytraders bravado threads that loose the interest of serious long term business people and investors so as the OP if there are any contributions here that are more testosterone than useful discourse I will ask the Mods to clean up accordingly - a lot is happening in our world and the Sovereign Society Weekly Wrap-up always seems to uncover something interesting.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »
Being as one of my best clients has over $100M RE Dev projects on the drawing board and is beginning to recover from the Financial Crisis with a 30 Acre parcel 50 Miles north and commutable to metro this article really kind of surprised me:

US Gov Agency Freddie Mac sells POISONED home to young family as a fixer upper... 

We routinely test existing homes for air quality; radon, toxic mold, etc and water quality (Artesian Well or Municipal - Contaminants Bacteria Lead - Radon Gas again) - but I had no idea that over 2.5 Million US homes are former meth labs - bad news they are toxic and the Gov should have given them the home for $1 and full disclosure then they could have done a full Meth Remediation - basically a gut job rehab with removal of all Meth Toxic Fumes and Chemicals absorbing Materials Drywall, Insulation, furniture and then a sealing the inside of the expose framing lumber and  proper new insulation, vapor barrier, fresh non sulfur (No Corrosive Chinese) drywall  and perhaps refinsish all work surfaces if not extensive fantastik/409 wipe down of all surfacaes and in and outside of all cabinets tiles floors etc - with proper ventilation and air monitoring thereafter - radon venting not a bad idea as a precaution as it can help with any residual meth contamination.  And only then allow any one to rent or live in it and NOT more meth heads...

So bad news is there are an estimated 2.5 Million homes contaminated with Meth Cooking - Good news is it basically makes a house worth only the value of the Foundation, Shell and Utilities hookups so assume all empty bargain priced homes need a full Meth detox and make it a mandatory testing contingency on all offers i.e. Must pass a Toxic Mold, Radon, Lead paint and Meth Lab poisons inspection and insist the Seller must certify the house is clean and put remediation funds in escrow for 1 year for the above contingencies.

Point is there are a lot of folks from outside the USA looking to snap up foreclosure bargains - if you Buy a Meth Lab home (Many Nice Suburban or Rural Homes that do not attract attention from the damned fumes) and rent it out and the renters get sick - you can be sure that you will be sued and in some jurisdictions might even be prosecuted.  The 2.5 Million number of Homes used as Meth labs and cooking kitchens even surprised me so beware test and inspect...

Also keep in mind some landfills may classify the demolition debris from a Meth Lab home as toxic waste which could cost a small fortune to legally dispose of properly as you can not burn drywall and the Gypsum and paper both absorb fumes.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mystery-illness-solved-family-discovers-home-meth-lab-184815233.html

The foreclosed house for sale on the up-and-coming street pined for fresh paint and other fixes, but the Hankins family saw its potential.

Plus, at $36,000, the price was perfect for a young family trying to make ends meet in small-town Klamath Falls, Ore.

"We said, 'It needs a little bit of love, but it's got good bones,'" Jonathan Hankins recalled. "We just had no idea that those bones were poisonous."

Within days of moving in this past summer, Beth Hankins, an ER nurse, started experiencing breathing problems. Then Jonathan got migraine-like headaches and nosebleeds. By the third week, their 2-year-old son, Ezra, developed mouth sores.

"He couldn't even drink water without being in pain," said Jonathan, 32.
They were about to schedule doctor visits when a neighbor shared the bad news: 2427 Radcliffe was a former meth house.

The family ordered a $50 testing kit and had the lab expedite the results, which revealed a contamination level nearly 80 times above Oregon Heath Authority limits.

"Our walls were poisoning us," said Jonathan, who quickly moved his family to a rental home.
Buying a foreclosed house from government-sponsored Freddie Mac meant the family was informed about being responsible for detecting hazards like lead paint and asbestos, but there was no warning from real estate agents or Freddie Mac about drug activity.

Because it was being sold "as is," the couple decided to save their money and skip a traditional inspection, which would have noted superficial repairs but not the chemicals used to cook the highly addictive drug. "In the case of methamphetamine, it's an invisible toxin," Jonathan said.

Twenty-three states, including Oregon, have laws requiring sellers to disclose if a property was ever used as a clandestine drug lab. In the Hankins' case, Freddie Mac says it never knew the two-bedroom, one-bath home had a checkered past.

"We certainly empathize with the situation, but we had no prior information about the way the home had been used," Freddie Mac spokesman Brad German told Yahoo News. "If we had, of course, we would have disclosed it."

It's a Catch-22 that Joe Mazzuca of Meth Lab Cleanup, a national remediation and training company, predicts others could find themselves in. Based on national and state data, Mazzuca conservatively estimates there are 2.5 million meth-contaminated homes in the U.S. "The signs and indicators aren't always there," he said. "You don't always see the meth residue. It's extremely dangerous stuff."
His concern was echoed at a congressional hearing in August on the efforts to curb domestic methamphetamine production.

Drug czar Gil Kerlikowske, head of the president's Office of National Drug Control Policy, testified that "U.S. meth lab seizure has more than doubled between 2007 and 2010, and these labs pose a major threat to public safety and the environment."

Mazzuca said the problem "is off the charts. We average a call every three to five minutes." One of those recent calls came from Michigan, a state with no disclosure law, where a father unknowingly purchased a meth-contaminated home. "He just buried his 14-year-old daughter after living in it for two years," Mazzuca said. "I could tell you stories like that for days."

With or without disclosure laws, Mazzuca believes scores of home buyers are at risk because only one in 10 meth labs are busted. Other times, he said, information can fall through the cracks by the time a big bank or government agency gets past the red tape of selling a foreclosed home.

He advised anyone considering buying a foreclosure to do their due diligence. He suggested the following actions:

Check the DEA's National Clandestine Laboratory Register.
Talk to the property's neighbors.
Contact the local health department and police for past issues.
Buy a kit to test for chemicals.

Jonathan Hankins in Oregon believes the seller needs to shoulder some of that burden.
"Consumers don't know about this problem, and a simple $50 test by them could have prevented all this," said Jonathan, who's now left to pay rent and a mortgage. "Thirty-six thousand may be a drop in the bucket to them, but it could ruin us financially."

He says his calls and emails to Freddie Mac have gone unanswered, so he turned to Change.org, a website that aims to promote social change by the use of online petitions. There he posted his frustration with what he calls the agency's false promise.

"Freddie Mac advertises, 'Our qualifying homes come with a reviewed title, and a repaired living space making them easier to sell and improving home values in your territory. We sell our homes responsibly. Freddie Mac is committed to having the best property maintenance and sales standards in the country.' We had no reason to expect otherwise. Instead, they irresponsibly sold us a ticking time bomb of dangerous chemicals without even telling us."

Attorneys have told the Hankins that the "as-is" fine print leaves them few options.

Decontaminating a former meth lab can run anywhere from $5,000 to $150,000, according to experts. Jonathan says he's been quoted a clean up cost more than his house is worth.

"We're not really angry at [Freddie Mac], but we're shocked that this could happen to anyone in America," he said. "It's an opportunity for them to set a precedent for others in the mortgage industry."

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »
Sovereign Society advertorial video - kind of disconcerting:

http://www.strategicinvestment.com/pages/svs/video/endcap_video_dec21_premium.php?pub=CAP4979&code=ENDPN807

The end of the Petro Dollar changes US 39 Year monopoly dollar demand and inspires draconian laws against freedom of information...

Petro Dollar was the ultimate global Monopoly deal made with OPEC/Saudis 4 decades ago...

Mega Political event now about to expire...  39 Year secular US Treasry Bonds bull market now projected to end...

See NYSE:UDN ... Fall of the Petro Dollar hedge...

Report Death of the Petro Dollar is as Good as Gold

And the Rise and the Rise of the World's Last Free Market...

https://orders.sovereignsociety.com/CAP4979/ENDPN807/index.htm?pageNumber=2

You can listen to a 1 hour monotone slide show or click the above - I am sharing to see what others here who know of the Sovereign Society think of this thesis regarding Petro Dollars and fall there of and resulting consequences...

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 07:54:19 PM »
7 Affordable Places to Retire Abroad

By KATHLEEN PEDDICORD

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/On-Retirement/2010/06/02/7-affordable-places-to-retire-abroad

Retirement can be about elevating your standard of living and enriching your lifestyle, even if you have only a modest nest egg. And retirement can begin at any time and any age. To do this you need to shift your perspective and look beyond our own borders.

The idea of relocating to another country, in retirement or otherwise, can be intimidating. To pick a place, start by figuring out how much money you have to live on in retirement. Tally the equity in your home, the value of your IRA or other retirement accounts, your Social Security or other pensions, your car, other property holdings, collectibles, and household goods.

After you’ve taken stock of what you own, take a good look at who you are. Make a list of your personal priorities and preferences, your interests and agendas, and your objectives and goals at this point in your life. What could you not live without?

Then compare your personal priorities against the world’s most interesting, appealing, and affordable places to spend time. There are at least 25 countries where you could live well on very little. Here are seven of my picks for the world’s top retirement havens.

Panama. In many ways, Panama is the world’s premier overseas haven. It’s certainly the best choice if you’re considering launching a new business as part of your new life overseas.

France. France is far more affordable in some regions than you might imagine and delivers an unparalleled quality of life for every euro invested.

Uruguay. You’ll be far removed from all the troubles of the rest of the world in this safe, stable, and welcoming country.

Belize. With both Caribbean island and inland highlands living options, this is a country where life is sweet and simple.

Mexico. Mexico is a good choice if you don’t want to move too far from children or grandchildren.

Croatia. This is the new and far more affordable Tuscany.

Malaysia. My top pick in Asia is not only super-affordable but also, unlike most countries in this part of the world, open to foreign retirees. Malaysia has straightforward, user-friendly options for establishing foreign residency.

Kathleen Peddicord is the founder of the Live and Invest Overseas publishing group. With more than 25 years experience covering this beat, Kathleen reports daily on current opportunities for living, retiring, and investing overseas in her free e-letter. Her book, How To Retire Overseas—Everything You Need To Know To Live Well Abroad For Less, was recently released by Penguin Books.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 10:27:45 AM »
The Looming AGpocolypse
It’s one of the most curious stories you may ever hear, but a bizarre threat to our food supply could soon impact almost every aspect of your life. We call it “The AGpocolypse,” and Jeff Opdyke has the information you need to best survive it –click here for his urgent video. http://pro.sovereignsociety.com/BEES/ESVSNA02/

This Week in The Sovereign Investor... Saturday, October 6, 2012
Monday, October 1 – The Burger-Flipping Nation

When Evaldo Albuquerque, senior analyst, was in college, he worked jobs as a dishwasher, a waiter and a cashier to earn some extra money to help cover his school expenses. Unfortunately, as Evaldo sees it, those kinds of low-paying jobs are becoming careers for too many Americans. And worse, the Fed’s attempts to deal with the problem are killing income opportunities for almost everyone, and doing little to make the job situation any better. To see where Evaldo thinks the Fed has gone wrong, click here. http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/10/01/reason-for-high-unemployment/

In an overlooked article recently published in one major eastern daily newspaper Iran (the world’s second largest oil producer) made a shocking announcement…one that the western media establishment has suppressed…   It is a game-changing move that this top Washington insider believes by December 21st will bring an endgame to our way of life…   You can learn all about it here for the first time in this controversial video presentation from the “insider” himself!

http://www.strategicinvestment.com/pages/svs/video/endcap_video_dec21_premium.php?pub=CAP4979&code=ENDPN807

During a recent chat about the cost of living, Sean Hyman, editor ofCurrency Cross Trader, explained that the real problem facing people today is inflation. As the Fed continues to devalue the dollar, our purchasing power is steadily diminishing. As Sean explains, the only way to escape this trap is to understand the Fed’s game, and what you need to do to stay ahead of it. At the moment, Sean sees a big opportunity in a unique silver play – click here to read more. http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/10/02/our-purchasing-power-is-weakening/  (Hint: SLV and better SIL)

Wednesday, October 3 – California, Here They Go!

The California State Legislature is facing a problem that has nothing to do with their willingness to spend more than they bring in, or their dedication to endless programs designed only to enrich unionized state employees. The real problem is that they see no natural limits to their powers over the citizens. California is on track to become a “nanny state” run amok, at the cost of its people’s rights and privacy. Unfortunately, as Bob Bauman, offshore and asset protection editor, explains, this isn’t a problem isolated to California. To see how the federal government is stepping up attacks on freedoms we once took for granted, click here to read more. http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/10/03/california-state-legislature-problem/

Thursday, October 4 – Seven Steps for Successful Offshore Investing

Many investors believe that opening a brokerage account overseas is a difficult – or even impossible – process. As Jeff Opdyke, editor ofThe Sovereign Individual, can attest to personally, that just isn’t true. For over 16 years, Jeff has operated accounts around the world, from Africa to Asia to Europe. Jeff says that if you don’t have an offshore brokerage account, you are cutting yourself off from some of the best investment opportunities in the world. Jeff says there are seven simple steps you can take to access a world of investments that most Americans miss out on. Click here to learn more. http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/10/04/seven-successful-offshore-investing-tips/

Friday, October 5 – Our Rights and Liberties Under Attack

We receive a lot of questions and comments from our readers, and we like to take some time every so often to address some of our favorites. This time, we hear from one American family living overseas who feel like the U.S. government is punishing them for remaining citizens. Evaldo Albuquerque also addresses concerns about the Fed’s latest actions, and Jeff Opdyke looks at the benefits of owning silver right now – and easy ways to own it. Click here to read more. http://sovereign-investor.com/2012/10/05/our-rights-and-liberties-under-attack/

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 07:44:06 PM »
http://www.sovereignsociety.com/reports/current/PUR/Income-report.pdf

Thank you for requesting a copy of Evaldo Albuquerque’s new report “Tell the Fed to “Screw Off”... with this 11% Guaranteed Yield.” 

Considering the lousy rates on traditional income streams like U.S. Treasuries, municipal bonds and CDs… the timing for a safe alternative to “blue-chips” payouts couldn’t be better.

As you’ll see, Evaldo has found an income investment with payouts that can be 27 to 91-times more than bank CDs and treasuries. And you’re among the first who will ever hear about them.

Erika Nolan

Publisher, The Sovereign Society

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 10:19:51 PM »

By KATHLEEN PEDDICORD

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/On-Retirement/2010/06/02/7-affordable-places-to-retire-abroad
Panama. In many ways, Panama is the world’s premier overseas haven. It’s certainly the best choice if you’re considering launching a new business as part of your new life overseas.

France. France is far more affordable in some regions than you might imagine and delivers an unparalleled quality of life for every euro invested.

Uruguay. You’ll be far removed from all the troubles of the rest of the world in this safe, stable, and welcoming country.

Belize. With both Caribbean island and inland highlands living options, this is a country where life is sweet and simple.

Mexico. Mexico is a good choice if you don’t want to move too far from children or grandchildren.

Malaysia. My top pick in Asia is not only super-affordable but also, unlike most countries in this part of the world, open to foreign retirees. Malaysia has straightforward, user-friendly options for establishing foreign residency.

Kathleen Peddicord is the founder of the Live and Invest Overseas publishing group. With more than 25 years experience covering this beat, Kathleen reports daily on current opportunities for living, retiring, and investing overseas in her free e-letter. Her book, How To Retire Overseas—Everything You Need To Know To Live Well Abroad For Less, was recently released by Penguin Books.

I'm curious why Costa Rica isn't listed?

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »

By KATHLEEN PEDDICORD

I'm curious why Costa Rica isn't listed?

When the US State Dept issues these types of warning its probably worse than they care to admit!

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1093.html

THREATS TO SAFETY AND SECURITY: The incidence of crime in Costa Rica is higher than in many parts of the United States and has adversely affected the traveling public. Pickpocketing and theft remain the most common crimes perpetrated against tourists. U.S. citizens also have been the victims of violent crime including sexual assaults, robberies, car-jackings and murders. American tourists and residents can, however, take steps to protect themselves. You should exercise at least the same level of caution here that you would in major cities or tourist areas in the United States. Engaging in high-risk behavior, such as excessive consumption of alcohol or drugs, can increase the vulnerability of an individual to accidents or opportunistic crime.

CRIME: Crime is a significant concern for Costa Ricans and visitors alike. Almost two million foreign tourists, about half of them U.S. citizens, visit Costa Rica annually. While the vast majority do not become victims of crime, all are potential targets for criminals. Criminals often operate in small groups, but may also operate alone. The most common crime perpetrated against tourists is theft, with thieves primarily looking for cash, jewelry, credit cards, electronic items and passports. Serious crimes, although less frequent, do occur. At least 14 U.S. citizens have been murdered in Costa Rica since January 2007. Daytime robberies in public places occur, and thieves have been known to brandish weapons or use violence if victims resist. Eleven U.S. citizens have been sexually assaulted in the past year in tourist areas.

While crimes occur throughout Costa Rica, they are more prevalent at certain times and in certain areas. The downtown area of San Jose for example, is a prime tourist destination during daylight hours. You are strongly encouraged, however, not to go there after dark. U.S. government officials, in fact, are not permitted to stay in hotels in that area due to safety concerns. If you plan to visit an unfamiliar area, you should consult with a trustworthy local (a concierge, a tour guide, etc.) regarding precautions or concerns.

Thieves often work in groups to set up a victim. A prevalent scam involves the surreptitious puncturing of tires of rental cars, often near restaurants, tourist attractions, airports, or close to the car rental agencies themselves. When the travelers pull over, "good Samaritans" quickly appear to help change the tire - and just as quickly remove valuables from the car, sometimes brandishing weapons. Drivers with flat tires are advised to drive, if at all possible, to the nearest service station or other public area and change the tire themselves, watching valuables at all times. Another common scam involves one person dropping change in a crowded area, such as on a bus. When the victim tries to assist, a wallet or other item is taken.

Take proactive steps to avoid becoming a crime victim. Do not walk, hike or exercise alone, and bear in mind that crowded tourist attractions and resort areas popular with foreign tourists are common venues for criminal activity. Ignore any verbal harassment, and avoid carrying your passport, large amounts of cash, jewelry or expensive photographic equipment. You should be particularly cautious of walking alone at night and should not leave bars or restaurants with strangers. Additionally, do not seekentertainment in groups of people you do not know. Do not consume food or drinks you have left unattended or accept food or drinks from "friendly" people.

Tourists should carry photocopies of their passport data page and Costa Rican entry stamp , and leave the original passport in a hotel safe or other secure place when doing day trips or touring the vicinity of where the hotel is located. Costa Rican immigration authorities conduct routine immigration checks at locations, such as bars in downtown San Jose and beach communities. U.S. citizens questioned during these checks who have only a copy of the passport may be asked to provide the original passport with appropriate stamps. Be sure you are certain of the location of your passport and will have ready access to it.

Travelers renting vehicles should purchase an adequate level of locally valid theft insurance, park in secure lots whenever possible, and never leave valuables in their vehicles. Please note that there are unlicensed “parking attendants” that will occasionally assist you in parking; however,parking where they indicate does not always guarantee that it is a legal parking spot. Drivers should be cautious of where they park their cars. The U.S. Embassy receives several reports daily of valuables, identity documents, and other items stolen from locked vehicles, primarily rental cars. Thefts from parked cars can occur nearly anywhere, although cities, at beaches, at the airport, in front of restaurants and hotels, and at national parks and other tourist attractions are common locations.

U.S. government personnel are not permitted to travel on city buses due to safety concerns, and must use caution when traveling on any other buses. If you choose to travel by bus, you are encouraged to keep your bag with valuables and identification on your lap. Personal items are frequently stolen from buses. Do not store your bags or other personal belongings in the storage bins, as theft from overhead bins is common. You should keep your belongings in your line of sight at all times and your valuables in your possession. If you choose to help another passenger stow his belongings, you should be especially cautious that your own belongings are not removed while you are doing so.

Travelers should use only licensed taxis, which are typically red with medallions (yellow triangles containing numbers) painted on the side. Licensed taxis at the airport are painted orange. All licensed taxis should have working door handles, locks, seatbelts and meters (called "marias"); passengers are encouraged to use seatbelts.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »
Compared to Panama - where you have to go look for trouble and which is no worse than any major US Metro City except for the Panama Columbia frontier border region which is likely a corridor for drugs traffickers up to Mexico which we all know is in major chaos with a 10 year Drugs Narco Terrorists war that has taken more than 60,000 Lives in the region and counting - exceeds the number of US combat deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan so would be wise to stay away from drugs scum in the entire region...  Costa Rica is more like a Mexican USA Border Town and much more dangerous...

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_994.html

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »
Ukraine in fact is safer than Costa Rica and to some extent Panama:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1053.html

THREATS TO SAFETY AND SECURITY:

For the most part, Ukraine is a safe country to visit, with little anti-U.S. sentiment. Large demonstrations occasionally occur in the bigger cities, such as Kiev, and are usually sponsored by individual political organizations. Most protests are peaceful. However, even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can become violent and unpredictable, so you should avoid them if at all possible. Be alert and aware of your surroundings and pay attention to what the local news media has to say. If the Embassy knows about a planned protest ahead of time, an announcement will be posted on the Embassy website.

Several bombings targeting public areas have occurred in Ukraine in the last year and caused damage or injury. While the bombings in Ukraine are not related to terrorism and have not targeted U.S. citizens, the Embassy reiterates advice to maintain a high level of vigilance and to take appropriate steps to increase your security awareness.

CRIME: Street crime remains a serious problem in Ukraine. The country continues to undergo significant economic, political, and social transformation, and income differences have grown accordingly. As a result, you and other foreign visitors may be perceived as wealthy and as easy targets for criminals. United States citizens often stand out in Ukraine, and are therefore more likely to be targeted than in Western European countries, where incomes are higher and U.S. citizens may blend in better. The police are poorly paid, motivated, trained, and equipped, and also are considered to be one of the most corrupt organizations in Ukraine. Ukrainian police and emergency services remain generally below Western European and U.S. standards in terms of training, responsiveness, and effectiveness. Ukrainian law enforcement and emergency officials rarely speak English and interpreters are not readily available.

Most street crimes reported to the Embassy are non-violent and non-confrontational, and range from various scams to simple pick-pocketing, purse-snatching, and theft of personal items from parked cars. Many of these crimes occur in downtown Kiev or on the public transport system, including the subway (metro). Muggings, armed robberies, harassment, or the drugging of unsuspecting victims at nightspots and bars (where they are then robbed) have been reported, but less frequently. Cases of assaults in apartment building corridors, elevators, and stairwells, as well as armed break-ins and crimes involving small-caliber firearms have also been reported, but are rare; most criminals do not carry guns, but may have other weapons. When violent assaults do occur, they usually involve punches and kicks, with an occasional bottle or similar item used as a club. Members of organized criminal groups seem to be the only criminals who reliably carry lethal weapons, but they are very rarely involved in crimes against foreigners.

A commonly reported scam in Kiev is the “wallet scam,” which involves a person dropping a wallet or a packet of money near you. After you pick up the wallet/packet and attempt to give it back to the individual who dropped it, the scam artist claims that the wallet is missing money and accuses you of stealing it. The individual either threatens to call the police if you don’t pay or asks you to show your wallet to prove that you did not take any money. When you show your wallet, the thief grabs your money and flees. A very common variant involves a second person who intercedes and claims to be a police officer, often flashing a badge. The second person also asks to see your wallet, grabbing the money and fleeing or, through sleight of hand, stealing your money. Many variants exist: two wallets; three or more thieves; etc. All variants involve the victim picking up something and returning it to the person who dropped it.

U.S. citizens have reported being robbed by people posing as police officers. Police officers in Ukraine, including plain clothes officers, routinely stop people on the street to check identity documents and U.S. citizens are required to carry their passports and produce them on request. However, if you have doubts about the legitimacy of a police officer, you can ask to see their photo ID.

While most travelers do not encounter problems with crime in Ukraine, there have been hate crimes directed at ethnic and religious minorities, and members of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities. Many of these incidents are perpetrated by “skinheads” or neo-Nazis and have been reported throughout the country. In Kiev, these incidents have occurred without provocation in prominent downtown areas commonly frequented by tourists. The majority of people targeted have been of Asian, African, or other non-European descent. Racial minorities may also be subject to various types of harassment, such as being stopped on the street by both civilians and law enforcement officials. Individuals belonging to religious minorities have been harassed and assaulted in Kiev and throughout Ukraine the police and government’s slow response to hate crimes is a serious and continuing concern. Although senior Government of Ukraine officials have publicly deplored these hate crimes and groups behind them, Ukrainian street-level law enforcement officials are either unwilling or are unable to deter hate crimes effectively. The U.S. Embassy has received numerous credible reports from victims of violent hate crimes stating that uniformed police officers observed the assaults and did nothing to prevent the attacks, to assist the victims afterward, or to investigate and apprehend the attackers. The Government of Ukraine has established special law enforcement units to prevent and investigate hate crimes; despite these efforts, problems with this type of crime continue to exist.

The general disinterest shown by Ukrainian law enforcement in responding to or investigating crimes against U.S. citizens in a number of cases is a cause for concern. In particular, Ukrainian law differs with regard to sexual assault and rape, and Ukrainian law enforcement officers generally treat such cases with less seriousness and professionalism than their U.S. counterparts. If you become a victim of rape or sexual assault, you should expect little assistance from Ukrainian law enforcement. We recommend you contact the U.S. Embassy to help find medical care, and to help you understand the local criminal justice process.

The U.S. Embassy also hears from people who have had large amounts of money stolen by Internet contacts they thought were their friends, loved ones, or romantic interests. These Internet scams include lotteries, on-line dating or introduction services, and even requests from a “friend” in trouble. In many cases, scammers troll the Internet for victims and spend weeks or months building a relationship and credibility. Once they have gained their victim’s trust, they create a false situation and ask for money. Once money has been sent, there is next to no chance it will be recovered.

In particular, dating/marriage scams are frequent. In many cases, U.S. citizens have sent money to a person or agency in Ukraine with the understanding that either a young woman will visit the United States, or the U.S. citizen will visit her in Ukraine. Often, these scams lead to requests for increasing amounts of money for various purposes, including requests to assist with faked emergency situations (such as unexpected ticket or visa fees, serious illness, or family members in trouble). Once the U.S. citizen becomes suspicious, the individual or agency will cut off contact. Many of these scams have existed for many years using a variety of different identities, agency names, and addresses. In addition, some U.S. citizens visiting their “friend” or “fiancée” in Ukraine have been extorted out of thousands of dollars, and in some cases have been seriously assaulted.

Credit card and ATM fraud are wide-spread. Ukraine generally operates as a cash economy, and money scams are common. Although credit card and ATM use among Ukrainians is increasing, the Embassy strongly recommends that you exercise caution and use credit cards only at reputable businesses. You should avoid using ATMs on the street or in public places whenever possible. Machines located inside bank branches are generally safer.

Burglaries of apartments and vehicles represent a common threat to long-term residents. Although few cars are actually stolen, primarily because of increased use of alarm systems and security wheel locks, vehicular break-ins and vehicular vandalism are frequent.

Ukraine lacks reliable services for foreign victims of crime. Transferring funds from the United States, replacing stolen traveler’s checks or airline tickets, or canceling credit cards can be difficult and time consuming. There are few safe low-cost lodgings, such as youth hostels. Public facilities in Ukraine are generally not equipped to accommodate persons with physical disabilities.

The Embassy has received reports of harassment and intimidation directed against foreign businesspersons and interests. Reported incidents include:

Physical threats (possibly motivated by rival commercial interests tied to organized crime);
Local government entities engaging in such practices as arbitrary termination or amendment of business licenses, or dilution of corporate stock to diminish U.S. investor interest;

Delays of payment or delivery of goods; and
Arbitrary “inspections” by tax, safety or other officials that appear designed to harm the business. U.S. business entities are encouraged to read the most recent Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) Annual Crime and Safety Report for Ukraine.

Do not wire money to Ukraine unless the recipient is well-known to you and the purpose of business is clear. United States citizens have reported transferring money to Ukraine to pay for goods purchased from residents of Ukraine via online auction sites, but never receiving the goods in return. The Embassy regularly receives complaints from U.S. citizens regarding scams involving marriage and dating services. Numerous U.S. citizens have lost money to agencies and individuals who claimed to be able to arrange student or fiancé visas to the U.S. We urge you to read the document entitled “ Marriage Brokers ” on our website for additional information.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 12:20:15 PM »
Ironically Russia is also safer than most of Latin America:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1006.html

CRIME: Incidents of unprovoked, violent harassment against racial and ethnic minorities regularly occur throughout the Russian Federation. The U.S. Embassy Moscow and Consulates General continue to receive reports of U.S. citizens, often members of minority groups, victimized in violent attacks by “skinheads” or other extremists. Travelers are urged to exercise caution in areas frequented by such individuals and wherever large crowds have gathered. U.S. citizens most at risk are those of African, South Asian, or East Asian descent, or those who, because of their complexion, are perceived to be from the Caucasus region or the Middle East. These U.S. citizens are also at risk for harassment by police authorities.

While visiting Russia, be alert to your surroundings. In large cities, take the same precautions against assault, robbery, or pickpockets that you would take in any large U.S. city: keep wallets in inner front pockets, carry purses tucked securely under arms, wear the shoulder strap of cameras or bags across the chest, walk away from the curb, and carry purses and other bags away from the street. The most vulnerable areas include underground walkways and the subway, overnight trains, train stations, airports, markets, tourist attractions, and restaurants. Foreigners who have been drinking alcohol are especially vulnerable to assault and robbery in or around nightclubs or bars, or on their way home. Some travelers have been drugged at bars, while others have taken strangers back to their lodgings, where they were drugged, robbed and/or assaulted.

Internet Dating Schemes: Reports of fraud committed against U.S. citizens by Internet correspondents professing love and romantic interest are common. Typically, the correspondent asks the U.S. citizen to send money or credit card information for living expenses, travel expenses, or “visa costs.” The anonymity of the Internet means that you cannot be sure of the real name, age, marital status, nationality, or even gender of the correspondent. We have received many reports of citizens losing thousands of dollars through such scams. Never send money to anyone you have not met in person. Please review our information on Internet Dating Schemes.

The Russian media report that the drug GHB is reportedly gaining popularity in local nightclubs, under the names butyrate or oxybutyrate. This drug can also cause amnesia, loss of consciousness, and/or extreme intoxication when mixed with alcohol, and death. The drug, typically in the form of a capful of liquid mixed with a beverage, gained notoriety in the United States after incidents of date-rape and death. In many cases, stolen credit cards are used immediately. Victims of credit card or ATM card theft should report the theft to the credit card company or issuing bank without delay. Be vigilant in bus and train stations and on public transport. Bogus trolley inspectors, whose aim is to extort a bribe from individuals while checking for trolley tickets, are also a threat.

Travelers have generally found it safer to travel in groups organized by reputable tour agencies. We discourage the use of unmarked taxis as passengers have been victims of robbery, kidnapping, extortion, and theft. The criminals using these taxis to rob passengers often wait outside bars or restaurants to find passengers who have been drinking and are therefore more susceptible to robbery. Robberies may also occur in taxis shared with strangers. Although there are few registered taxi services in Russia, you should always use authorized services when arriving at a major airport. A common street scam in Russia is the “turkey drop” in which an individual “accidentally” drops money on the ground in front of an intended victim, while an accomplice either waits for the money to be picked up, or picks up the money him/herself and offers to split it with the pedestrian. The individual who dropped the currency then returns, aggressively accusing both of stealing the money. This confrontation generally results in the pedestrian’s money being stolen. Avoidance is the best defense. Do not get trapped into picking up the money, and walk quickly away from the scene. To avoid highway crime, try not to drive at night, especially when alone, and do not sleep in your vehicle on the side of the road. Do not pick up hitchhikers; they pose a threat to your physical safety and also put you in danger of being arrested for unwittingly transporting narcotics.

Extortion and corruption are common in the business environment. Business disputes may involve threats of violence and even acts of violence. Organized criminal groups and sometimes local police target foreign businesses in many cities and have been known to demand protection money. Small businesses are particularly vulnerable. Please report all extortion attempts to the Russian authorities and inform consular officials at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow or the nearest Consulate General.

Certain activities that would be normal business activities in the United States and other countries are either illegal under the Russian legal code or are considered suspect by the FSB (Federal Security Service). There are particular risks involved in any commercial activity with the Russian military-industrial complex, including research institutes, design bureaus, production facilities or other high technology, government-related institutions. Any misunderstanding or dispute in such transactions can attract the involvement of the security services and lead to investigation or prosecution for espionage. Rules governing the treatment of information remain poorly defined.

It is not uncommon for foreigners in general to become victims of harassment, mistreatment, and extortion by law-enforcement and other officials. Police do not need to show probable cause in order to stop, question, or detain individuals. If stopped, obtain the officer’s name, badge number, and patrol car number, and note where the stop happened, as this information assists local officials in identifying the perpetrators. Authorities are concerned about these incidents and have cooperated in investigating such cases. Report harassment or crimes to the U.S. Embassy in Moscow or the nearest U.S. Consulate General.

Personal Privacy: Travelers should be aware that the Russian Federal Law on Operational Search Activity passed in 1995, in conjunction with Order No. 130 by the Minister of Information Technology and Communications (July 25, 2000), commonly known as SORM, permits the monitoring, retention and analysis of all data that traverses Russian communications networks. This may include fax transmissions, telephone calls, internet browsing and e-mail messaging. American citizens should be cognizant of this when using these means of communication.

Registration