The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: "pity me and take me away?"  (Read 1582 times)

Offline CzechMate

• Trips: 1-5
"pity me and take me away?"
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:57:48 PM »
I have written to just a few FSU women, as I am not yet ready to travel.  This one seems to be the real deal, but we have been discussing Orthodox Christianity, and she wrote a whole paragraph (in top-notch English) about how she just visited a monastery and is considering such a place when her son is older because she thinks God does not intend for her to have the happiness that most men and women seek.  Huh??? 

Perhaps "pity me and take me away"?  She sends personal pics (pro on the profile) and writes personal replies, so this does not seem to be a joke, unless it is already on me and the money request is pending...
When I shoot, I recover the spent casing and reload the brass.

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: "pity me and take me away?"
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:59:05 AM »
A common reaction by some ladies when feeling down, disappointed, depressed, etc, but does every RW share this feeling? No, likely her faith is more than casual would be one of my first reactions. The fact that she visited a monastery just means that she is one of several million RW and RM who will do so this year. We've been once already ourselves as a couple and Mrs M has been to a women's monastery with her mother and our daughter. Visiting monasteries is more common that most of us realize. Many Orthodox faithful try to visit several times a year. Think of it much like a Protestant weekend church camp/retreat. Russia has a rich history of monastic orders, and these are considered as honourable by most of the population so it would not shock most native Russians as it did you.

It doesn't mean that you did or said something wrong, you just shared a moment at a low and she was brave enough to voice it and see how you'd respond. She isn't asking for a pity party, just reporting to you how she felt at that given moment. She is a woman, wait 5 minutes and the her mood will change.

Our youngest voices this once in a blue moon--a sure clue to us that she and her fiance had a quarrel. The sun rises the next morning.

Offline CzechMate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 01:02:14 AM »
Thanks - interesting point.  Softened up the hard skeptic in me.  CM
When I shoot, I recover the spent casing and reload the brass.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
"pity me and take me away?"
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 01:59:52 AM »
Seen a lot of this icon clutching from former sovs lately!!

Perhaps she wants to keep him out of the Army?
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »
CM likely nothing to worry about:
We have visited a number of monasteries as a couple as they are very important and historical sites in the history of the FSU.  On our last visit 2 years ago we went with father-in-law to visit one near the border of Ukraine and Russia that he wanted to visit.  The whole history and life there is something not to be missed.  Likewise one of Lora's Uncles lived and is buried in one as is her grandmother in Russia on the border with Estonia.

For ladies who are not married a monastery is kind of a safety net in later years a place where they can live and also be taken care of later on as well.  If your lady does not have many close family members and does not want to be a burden on her children then this in the FSU context for a Orthodox Christian is a far better place to spend ones later years among similier individuals.  Remember seniors housing and the like in the west really does not exist in the same way in the FSU! 

So she is only expressing her need for future security should she not find mortal love with you or someone else as we think of it.  If you move forward then life will go on and hopefully you would become another happpy western and FSU couple like others here.  You may even want to visit some of the FSU Holy Places with your lady to show interest in her history and culture as well.  Good Luck.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »
Wasn't there a story of a guy who met this woman from Kazakhstan who was about to join a monastery?

And she made sure he would convince her not to?  :smokin:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 10:40:20 AM »
Wasn't there a story of a guy who met this woman from Kazakhstan who was about to join a monastery?

And she made sure he would convince her not to?  :smokin:

Nearly, it was Moldova and Ed, the 'professional' wingman told her to make sure that the deal was sealed.

The whole story the poor guy was fed was a work of fiction from start to finish, poor bloke.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »
Ah, yes. Moldova.

Spacibo  tiphat

Registration