The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Miracles do happen.  (Read 21703 times)

Offline Chemist

• Love Gone Global
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Miracles do happen.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 07:15:22 AM »
When I see it works, I think why that guy won such a girl?

Anna complained about the "old guys" at the socials and the way that they were showing off their assets. Yet, she married a California man old enough to be her father who owns several businesses, has substantial assets and wasn't afraid to spend them in pursuit of Anna. Don't you see the obvious contradiction in that video?

What women say and what they do are often two different things  :)
It is fortunate that a woman's charms can arrest a man's intelligence long enough for copulation to take place.

Our future depends on it!

Online shakespear

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 08:41:48 AM »
The important thing to me is that we have the same attitude about money, which in my case I prefer to wait and buy quality, and I always want to have more than enough money in the bank for a rainy day.  Some women get that, and others want to spend it all until you are completely broke.  More and more it seems to me that the women looking to go abroad (as in leaving Ukraine or Russia) are just looking for a sugar daddy. 

Because of their history and experiences, many people in the FSU have a different perspective about money than we do here in the west.  Russia has had a change of government and TWO huge devaluations since 1990.  They've seen saved money become virtually worthless, so they haven't the experience to understand how saving money is a positive alternative.  Money, to them is to be spent for things NOW before they go up in price.  It is not uncommon when a close friends gets extra money, for him to share it amongst his "droogs", with the assumption that in the future, if others are in the same circumstance, they will do the same for him.   

With your attitude, it won't be uncommon for an FSU woman to perceive you as "cheap".  Hopefully this brief explanation will help you understand where they're coming from and how you might start to change their perception of you.   
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 09:05:25 AM »

What Anna said and what she did were certainly polar opposites.

Be that as it may, I hope that Sharon understands what a powerful inducement that wealth is for many women and how the lack of it is great handicap for guys who seek extremely young girls. 
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Offline Chemist

• Love Gone Global
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »
Anna and Mark also seem to have met during a time when marriages between WM and RW with large age differences were more common.  Many of them are probably divorced by now.  Mark seemingly is still providing the dream life and has no apparent defects in his health and character.  Anna also strikes me as being sensible and not addicted to drama which would make her appreciate the life she has.

Statistically speaking Mark and Anna are outliers
It is fortunate that a woman's charms can arrest a man's intelligence long enough for copulation to take place.

Our future depends on it!

Online shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 10:59:03 AM »

What Anna said and what she did were certainly polar opposites.

This is a valid point that I'd like to hear Mark's opinion about.  Anna's actions were definitely contrary to her stated principles on the tape.  However Mark seems a handsome, successful and even tempered sort which is consistant with her story in that light.  Ukraine is definitely a country with financial hardships among the masses.  In spite of her statements to the contrary, one must suspect that Mark's financial security played some part in Anna's decision to marry.  I understand that financial considerations are present ANY TIME a woman decides to marry but I am curious about Mark's opinion on how they played out in light of his nearly 27 year age difference with Anna. 

I'm also curious, has their marriage produced any children? 

Online shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 11:07:15 AM »
Yep,

25 year age gap,she was 18 when they met.A big no no for the "experts" on here.

They met at a AFA social.Another big no no for the "experts" on here.

Well,they've been married 5 years now,and seem happy enough together,so I guess miracles can happen. :)

Mark does actually participate on the other main forum.

First, THIS is the main form.  All other forms are secondary   ;D

Second, longshots pay off at the racetrack on occasion but every successful gambler knows you will eventually go broke by consistently playing longshots. 

My guess is both Mark and Anna are very unusual people.  If I were hoping to find a bride that was 25+ years younger than I was I'd be interested in learning how Mark made this happen, how his personality or temperament attracted a younger lady, what he did differently during the courtship process, or what financial or assets he may have brought to the table that helped him to be successful in his pursuit?

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 12:07:44 PM »
There are different opinions about this matter. When I see it works, I think why that guy won such a girl? Some members here have tendency to discourage. If you think I waste your time - don't waste your time on me.

Because that guy has a lot more to offer such a young babe than you. It is THAT simple.

On the other site there was a discussion by Russian women as to what can a Western old fart can offer a young and nubile babe for her to marry him. I believe they started with a Porsche Carrera GT3.*  :smokin:

*For those without a sense of humor, please read between the lines.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 12:09:10 PM »
Sharon,

It does happen but the man has qualities that I suspect you lack. Sorry to brutal but women want to see a big rock and a monthly stipend.

OMG, I misread that.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 12:13:51 PM »

Be that as it may, I hope that Sharon understands what a powerful inducement that wealth is for many women and how the lack of it is great handicap for guys who seek extremely young girls.

Nah, I don't think so.

Offline patagonie

• Spouses Country: ukraine
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 01:31:18 PM »
The important thing to me is that we have the same attitude about money, which in my case I prefer to wait and buy quality, and I always want to have more than enough money in the bank for a rainy day.  Some women get that, and others want to spend it all until you are completely broke.  More and more it seems to me that the women looking to go abroad (as in leaving Ukraine or Russia) are just looking for a sugar daddy. 

Because of their history and experiences, many people in the FSU have a different perspective about money than we do here in the west.  Russia has had a change of government and TWO huge devaluations since 1990.  They've seen saved money become virtually worthless, so they haven't the experience to understand how saving money is a positive alternative.  Money, to them is to be spent for things NOW before they go up in price.  It is not uncommon when a close friends gets extra money, for him to share it amongst his "droogs", with the assumption that in the future, if others are in the same circumstance, they will do the same for him.   

With your attitude, it won't be uncommon for an FSU woman to perceive you as "cheap".  Hopefully this brief explanation will help you understand where they're coming from and how you might start to change their perception of you.

This is something newbies don't have in mind, you write a good post here.

Offline NS1

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 02:45:42 PM »
Yup Miracles do happen.

Shit happens too!
“You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”
Malcom X

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 04:12:24 PM »
Sharon, and what  is ur mother thinking about having 18 years old daughter in law?  :biggrin:
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline Mark Davis

• Commercial Member
  • Mark & Anna Davis
    • Dream Connections
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 07:14:21 PM »
Hey, guys!

Thanks for the chance to enter into this conversation. 

My story is an exception.  I was not looking for a big age difference.  Anna didn't want to tell me her age for the first two months we were dating because she thought it would scare me off.  She would have been right.  I thought she was around 26 based on her maturity and humor.  She thought I was around 35 based on my personal energy.  By the time I found out what her age was, and recovered from the shock, I realized that I was already in love with her.  This was my half. 

When people see us together it's obvious we're very comfortable together.  People can tell that the age difference is not an issue with us, but it can be for many.

I've talked about this a lot because we seem to be the target for much of the conversation on the topic.  Even that TV show we were on tried to make it look like I was hunting for teens.  Sheesh.  I end up spending a lot of time helping guys focus on what will help them find and romance a good FSU woman.

In reference to the other comment made about Anna, in Anna's defense, when she talked about "old guys" at the AFA event, she was talking about guys who look old and act old.  I've never been accused of such things. 

I did meet my wife at an AFA social, but I had already dated in many other foreign countries by that point and I was able to try to make it work.  Today I have my own opinions about ways I feel would be much more natural for people to meet and interact in order to initiate first contact.  I strongly disagree with big box socials, no assigned translators, and no screening of the women.  I could say more, but I'll refrain.

Here's my opinion on the age difference: you shouldn't be looking for a number - your looking for a heart that beats like yours and brings you to life.  It's all about chemistry and connection.  Age becomes an issue in letter-writing because it's the first statistic everyone looks for.  I don't believe in first introductions being remote.  I believe in fact-to-face introductions - because you can't download a wife.  Every guy I know who is married today met his wife in person for the first time - not online.  The magic happens when you show up.  How can you really judge whether a person is a fit without being right there with her? 

OK, back to age gaps . . . Statistically speaking, there was a survey done with 1,800 people who had been married to a Russian or Ukrainian.  The average age difference was 9.8 years (I can provide the link if you'd like).

Culturally speaking, My wife has said that Ukrainian women often look 10 to 15 years older, even among Ukrainian men, because the guys there don't really like to settle down There's a great YouTube video interview with a Ukrainian guy talking about his opinions on all of this and confirming it).  Anna feels that men in their 20's are still sewing their wild oats.  A marriage minded man would probably be 30 and above.  That was her opinion of Ukrainian men and it carried forward when she dated Western men.

I really wish guys wouldn't make such a huge deal of this - and the ones who do seem to be the single guys.  This isn't about fantasy marketing.  It's about learning how to go and meet them in person, be comfortable so you can be in a good state of mind and enjoy your experience.  Give off a positive energy that attracts them. 

The top things I hear from the ladies is that they want a man who has a good sense of humor, or is fun to be around.  Why?  Because the Russian and Ukrainian men are so serious in a relationship.  You just have to be fascinated with them and their life and be fun to be around.  I'm not saying to be a comedian; but it's not hard to compete with a serious Russian or Ukrainian guy.

Shakespear - thank you for inviting me back to this forum.  I hadn't been here in a long while.  I posted an introduction message and was warmly greeted.  This seems like a great group. 
Personalized singles events in Ukraine for marriage-minded men and women with an 80% success rate: www.DreamConnections.com

Offline 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 07:50:30 PM »
Hey, guys!

Welcome back to the forum Mark

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 08:21:38 PM »

I was not looking for a big age difference. 

Here's my opinion on the age difference: you shouldn't be looking for a number - your looking for a heart that beats like yours and brings you to life.  It's all about chemistry and connection.  Age becomes an issue in letter-writing because it's the first statistic everyone looks for.  I don't believe in first introductions being remote.  I believe in fact-to-face introductions - because you can't download a wife.  Every guy I know who is married today met his wife in person for the first time - not online.  The magic happens when you show up.  How can you really judge whether a person is a fit without being right there with her? 

The top things I hear from the ladies is that they want a man who has a good sense of humor, or is fun to be around.  Why?  Because the Russian and Ukrainian men are so serious in a relationship.  You just have to be fascinated with them and their life and be fun to be around.  I'm not saying to be a comedian; but it's not hard to compete with a serious Russian or Ukrainian guy.

Mark (&Anna) Thank you for posting your opinions and expeirence. We hope you will put in your two cents from time to time. AvHdB
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot