The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Sochii and Adler  (Read 1341 times)

Offline allend

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
Sochii and Adler
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:10:23 PM »
I had the opportunity to travel by train from Rostov on Don to the Black Sea resort town of Adler in August.  The train ride took about 11 hours and cost right at $100 USD roundtrip.  It was what they called first class with service and it was like something right out of the Orient Express.  I had my own stateroom and shared the car with a Russian military officer and his family.  We had so much fun.  There was free food and drink and the staff went out of their way to be nice and attentive.

Adler was just a great place to go in the summer as people from all over Russia are there so you get a very good insight to the entire country.  As any person knows that has been there it is different because of size.  I learned a lot, had a lot of fun and it was really safe.  I was alone, as that is how I always travel.  Lufthansa flies to Rostov from the US, I found it is the best way.  Don't forget to take a trip up to Sochii, it was pretty cool, especially at night.  The nightlife in these two places was awesome.

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Sochii and Adler
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »
Sounds like a great trip allend, do you have any pictures you could post of the train journey?

Offline allend

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 02:37:29 PM »
Yes, I do have pictures on disks somewhere and it will take me a day or two to locate them, but I will post some photos.  I have a really cool one of the mosaic in Sochii of Lenin.  His home town.  You can Google that mosaic I think.  There is a park across the street that was amazing at night.  Also, I know I have some absolutely fantastic photos in a 1500's church that was in Novochechesserk (sp?) .  They actually let me take photos inside the church without a flash and I was very grateful for that.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:04:12 AM »
Hi AllenD,

Welcome to RUA.

Yes the foto's would be interesting to see I believe there is a thread from Mendy on Sochii so if you can get them up it would be great.

AvHdB
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline leeholsen

• Houston-NASA, the oil biz+too much country+western
    • Loveland Ski Area
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »

Resident skier here, more sochi pictures please !

i luv them ski places.  ;D
Eat 'em up Houston Cougars !

Offline allend

Re: Skiing around Sochii
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 05:56:54 AM »
I was told while I was there that the skiing is just the best in Russia there.  Putin even goes there to do his skiing and didn't they get the Olympics?  I know they wanted to because I bought some shirts that had the Sochii emblem and the Olympic rings on them.  Still trying to find those disks with the photos, they are here some place.

Offline leeholsen

• Houston-NASA, the oil biz+too much country+western
    • Loveland Ski Area
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
I was told while I was there that the skiing is just the best in Russia there.  Putin even goes there to do his skiing and didn't they get the Olympics?  I know they wanted to because I bought some shirts that had the Sochii emblem and the Olympic rings on them.  Still trying to find those disks with the photos, they are here some place.

yes, they have the olympics in 2014. i would love to go.
Eat 'em up Houston Cougars !

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 06:55:33 PM »

Two years ago I met some Russians in Ischgl. I asked about Sochii they rolled there eyes upwards and laughed. Skiing, it's some oxen tracks and lots of miserable people. From some one else I have heard the airport when open is state of the art, she was there for a conference.

There seems to be major environmental battles going on around the building of runs and facilities which together with Russian efficiencies make somethings look problematic. But it Russia so in the end . . . 
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline nicknick

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:22:35 AM »

Two years ago I met some Russians in Ischgl. I asked about Sochii they rolled there eyes upwards and laughed. Skiing, it's some oxen tracks and lots of miserable people. From some one else I have heard the airport when open is state of the art, she was there for a conference.

They probably hadn't been to Krasnaya Polyana then.

It's probably the most western ski resort in Russia.  A colleague of mine has been there a number of times and enjoyed it a lot, although it's not quite up to the standards of what you usually expect to find in Europe.

However, one big plus is heli-skiing.  My colleague said that it was the experience of a lifetime for him.

Here's a link to a youtube video of a group heli-skiing on Mt Elbrus.  It's actually a promo video for a French ski company but it does give you a good idea of what Krasnaya Polyana and the facilities are like:-

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gEs-9PZkDug" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gEs-9PZkDug</a>

Registration