The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Odyssey to Odessa my first trip to the FSU years ago  (Read 5627 times)

Offline 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
The scam
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 01:20:02 PM »
Natalia came up with a creative way to scam me.

First however, let me tell you the contact between us was strange. She would
write 2 line letters and was totally cold. My pimsleur Russian had arrived and I was
working on it diligently. I was sure that she was chatting with others at RLM and I
was barely part of the mix. I was having more trouble making excuses for her now.
I had told her that I had bought tickets to see her again. She had a million reasons
why I couldn't come. 

Then she came up with the scam.

She had taken nearly a month of language instruction and it was time to pay for more.
She had told Stirlitz that she didn't want to learn English and surely didn't want to meet
me again. However she did want half of the money that I would pay him for her language
instruction.  :o

If he didn't give her half she would tell me that he never gave her the previous month
of instruction and since she had f#cked me I would be putty and I would believe her
and not him  :snivel:   

I had been ignoring all the red flags and now it bit me in the ass.
I knew something was hinky, I kept making justifications in my head. 
I had a ticket to Kiev leaving in a week or so and nobody to visit.  :crybaby:

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline 2tallbill

Re: Odyssey to Odessa my first trip to the FSU years ago
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 06:29:27 PM »
This was my first trip to the FSU
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline NS1

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 07:28:20 PM »
This was my first trip to the FSU

Reliving days gone by ?  :chuckle:
There is nothing permanent except change.

Online Tom Cat

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »
Natalia came up with a creative way to scam me.

First however, let me tell you the contact between us was strange. She would
write 2 line letters and was totally cold. My pimsleur Russian had arrived and I was
working on it diligently. I was sure that she was chatting with others at RLM and I
was barely part of the mix. I was having more trouble making excuses for her now.
I had told her that I had bought tickets to see her again. She had a million reasons
why I couldn't come. 

Then she came up with the scam.

She had taken nearly a month of language instruction and it was time to pay for more.
She had told Stirlitz that she didn't want to learn English and surely didn't want to meet
me again. However she did want half of the money that I would pay him for her language
instruction.  :o

If he didn't give her half she would tell me that he never gave her the previous month
of instruction and since she had f#cked me I would be putty and I would believe her
and not him  :snivel:   

I had been ignoring all the red flags and now it bit me in the ass.
I knew something was hinky, I kept making justifications in my head. 
I had a ticket to Kiev leaving in a week or so and nobody to visit.  :crybaby:

Just goes to show how flawed the 5 date rule really is.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 08:57:47 AM »
Just goes to show how flawed the 5 date rule really is.

Nothing beats the little voice in your head. I intentionally ignored it, knowing all
along that I shouldn't. I made plenty of more mistakes in different trips to the FSU
but I never again ignored the voice in my head. If a girl was sending out the wrong
vibes or no vibes then I dumped her and moved on.