The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Pictures from Crimea 07/2011  (Read 10058 times)

Offline mazimtaim

Pictures from Crimea 07/2011
« on: January 04, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »
Didn't see many pics of Crimea, so I thought I would post a few. 

Offline mazimtaim

Re: Pictures from Crimea 07/2011
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:22:01 PM »
These pics are from the military museum.  It is the site of the battle of Sevastopol from WWII.

Offline mazimtaim

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 08:24:09 PM »
Last one from the museum site. 

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 06:35:45 PM »
There are parts of southern Ukraine that look somewhat close to Southern California in some respects, this being one of them.

Offline mazimtaim

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:14:09 PM »
Yes, sir.  It was very pretty country.  I had no idea.  We travelled all over the Crimean peninsula.  I will try to post some pictures from Balaklava when I get home. 

There are parts of southern Ukraine that look somewhat close to Southern California in some respects, this being one of them.

Offline BlueSky

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:41:47 PM »
ah yes, Crimea, the place I fallen in love with. my place to chill and escape :)

Offline mazimtaim

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 09:06:07 PM »
Here is a little of Balaklava.  We had a wonderful day here.  My little bunny rabbit wanted to go to the beach.  It was a long trek from the inlet.  But I made it, somehow.  Then we had a nice dinner at one of the many restaurants that ring the inlet.  We stayed there all day.  It was just great.  The Greek ruins on the hilltops were absolutely fascinating.  Perhaps next time, I can get a little closer and take better pictures.  Oh, I apologize, I am a lousy photographer. 

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 09:50:34 PM »
Here is a little of Balaklava.  We had a wonderful day here.  My little bunny rabbit wanted to go to the beach.  It was a long trek from the inlet.  But I made it, somehow.  Then we had a nice dinner at one of the many restaurants that ring the inlet.  We stayed there all day.  It was just great.  The Greek ruins on the hilltops were absolutely fascinating.  Perhaps next time, I can get a little closer and take better pictures.  Oh, I apologize, I am a lousy photographer.

mazimtaim nice photos, I usually manage a few photos with a finger over the lens.  :laugh:  Despite the reputation of Ukraine as being Russia's poor cousin there must be money in Crimea.  There are a number of large expensive looking boats at the marina, plus a number of newer, Asian cars and SUVS in your photos.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline BlueSky

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 09:42:49 AM »

mazimtaim nice photos, I usually manage a few photos with a finger over the lens.  :laugh:  Despite the reputation of Ukraine as being Russia's poor cousin there must be money in Crimea.  There are a number of large expensive looking boats at the marina, plus a number of newer, Asian cars and SUVS in your photos.

There is big money in Crimea. I go there quite abit to relax and see friends. I wouuld enjoy Balaklava while you can, in few years time it will be full of Hotels, Villas and Apartments. The Yacht Club is nice there.

Offline BlueSky

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »
Ukraine Presidents little Boat and Holiday home. Both yours for a fair few Million :)

Offline BlueSky

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 10:19:28 AM »
A few More.

Offline mazimtaim

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 12:42:42 PM »
Really?  I guess I need to get back there pretty soon.  It's probably the best kept secret in the Ukraine.  I even went to the beach.   I never do that in the States!

There is big money in Crimea. I go there quite abit to relax and see friends. I wouuld enjoy Balaklava while you can, in few years time it will be full of Hotels, Villas and Apartments. The Yacht Club is nice there.

Offline mazimtaim

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »
Bluesky, those are excellent photographs!  Just awesome!  When were you there last?

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Pictures from Crimea... Sudak
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
Here's a cool picture I found of the beach in Sudak, Crimea. Its panoramic so if you put the cursor on the picture, left click and slide left or right you can get a 360 degree view of where the photographer was standing.

http://www.360cities.net/image/sudak-embankment-beach-during-the-storm#-675.75,-3.42,15.0

Look how crowded it is there, really looking forward to going there in July!!!   :party0031:

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 07:14:44 PM »
Great pics - got to love those Euro sailing catamarans much more economical than the large smudge pots...  Whoa did that float-barge bar say White People - got to love a non-pc country that never got the Obama memo - and could care less!  :-X

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 03:10:59 AM »
Great photos. There have been some comments on the positive aspects of the Crimea - it is a spectacular area --visually as well as history. History from a 1000 years ago untill the present. The more recent submarine base (underground) and many other recent parts of history.
There is serious money in the area--the Russians have been buying everything ! It has very strong historical link to Russia itself( still a sticking point today in Russia/Ukraine relationship).It has been the destination for holidays forever.The cities have a very european feel -if you get that point! The climate is the most temperate in Ukraine and signifecently warmer than Kiev in the winter.I love the area!!

Offline AJ

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 12:32:17 PM »
A few from July 2010

It's a little amusing.. that everyone takes the same photo of Swallows Nest , Yalta
at the same little roadside over look :)

more from the swallows nest area..

Offline AJ

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 12:36:12 PM »
From the vorontsov palace /alupka area

A bit of moderate Rock climbing

Offline AJ

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
From Yalta proper.
The beaches in that area are nice, but stone, my wife laughed at my wincing at walking barefoot there. :laugh:

my favorite tree

A little jet skiing.

along the Yalta promenade

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 12:54:41 PM »
AJ great summer time pics - may we ask what were you favorite places to stay, eat and relax while there and what week/moth of the year were these taken for some added seasonal perspective?

Offline AJ

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 01:14:43 PM »
Hi Cufflink-
 It is July 2010. I had been to Ukraine a bit prior,but never visited Crimea and always wanted to.
one reason is I lived several years in Greece, really liked it, and Crimea seemed to have similar weather and geography.It also has a rich history, and so many things to see.

We traveled from Nikolayev via your typical tourist bus
(of course many Ukrainians and Russians  holiday in Crimea)
and simply rented a flat, fom the myiads of *landlords or managers* that swarm the bus stations. :)
we went and looked at a couple and found a nice decent  one very reasonable, that was a small walk from the beach and promenade area. 
 I had originally contacted to rent a flat thru an online source ,called and confirmed it,
but the landlord failed to answer my calls for a day or twe before my arrival that that morning,
or even after arrival.. so I just assumed he had rented it,
and frankly since he knew the exact time of my arrival , if he wasn't prepared to answer,
 i just moved on. No big deal as there were plenty of decent flats available then.

We spent the days mostly at the beach or out and about walking or visting somehat nearby locations..
When in Yalta we both cooked ,and ate in a bit, but also ate at any of the many various cafe's and restaurants along the walkway. We both ended up  preferring a nice little cafe built out and overlooking the beach  closest to our flat.
I can't recall the name and it as open..basically just a roof right off the beach.The kitchen itself  was across the street. Just a laid back little place ,very clean ,great and fast service, with very good food in all categories.

I would recommend going to the Alupka, and the palace grounds and gardens there, very large like a state park.
The yellow dot you see in the one photo is a very large gondola (about 20 or 30 people can fit?)  to take you to the top of the mountain.
At the top is a lot of typical touristy craft shops, horseback riding etc.
one kind of rough cafe set right on the cliffs face ( likely 1000 foot vertical) has wooden benches and picnic tables right on the edge , no railing lol.
Anyway it has great shaslik ,  green borscht, and seafood , I highly recommend it

all in all I love Crimea , and hope to vacation there some day again.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 01:24:51 PM »
Hi Cufflink-
 It is July 2010. I had been to Ukraine a bit prior,but never visited Crimea and always wanted to.
one reason is I lived several years in Greece, really liked it, and Crimea seemed to have similar weather and geography.It also has a rich history, and so many things to see.

We traveled from Nikolayev via your typical tourist bus
(of course many Ukrainians and Russians  holiday in Crimea)
and simply rented a flat, fom the myiads of *landlords or managers* that swarm the bus stations. :)
we went and looked at a couple and found a nice decent  one very reasonable, that was a small walk from the beach and promenade area. 

I had originally contacted to rent a flat thru an online source ,called and confirmed it,
but the landlord failed to answer my calls for a day or twe before my arrival that that morning,
or even after arrival.. so I just assumed he had rented it,
and frankly since he knew the exact time of my arrival , if he wasn't prepared to answer,
 i just moved on. No big deal as there were plenty of decent flats available then.

We spent the days mostly at the beach or out and about walking or visting somehat nearby locations..
When in Yalta we both cooked ,and ate in a bit, but also ate at any of the many various cafe's and restaurants along the walkway. We both ended up  preferring a nice little cafe built out and overlooking the beach  closest to our flat.
I can't recall the name and it as open..basically just a roof right off the beach.The kitchen itself  was across the street. Just a laid back little place ,very clean ,great and fast service, with very good food in all categories.

I would recommend going to the Alupka, and the palace grounds and gardens there, very large like a state park.
The yellow dot you see in the one photo is a very large gondola (about 20 or 30 people can fit?)  to take you to the top of the mountain.
At the top is a lot of typical touristy craft shops, horseback riding etc.
one kind of rough cafe set right on the cliffs face ( likely 1000 foot vertical) has wooden benches and picnic tables right on the edge , no railing lol.
Anyway it has great shaslik ,  green borscht, and seafood , I highly recommend it

all in all I love Crimea , and hope to vacation there some day again.

Thanks for the insight - really in all my years on the forums first i heard you could basically wing it at the tourists bus terminals and not get skinned alive in the process - good to know actually as being spontaneous can be quite an adventure too!

Offline AJ

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 01:50:54 PM »
Having lived in a similar touristy beach location long term (greece) , I kind of know the scoop on getting flats /hotels etc.. and also I understand and speak a bit of Russian.

However, I wouldn't advise somebody inexperienced to just go there and completely wing it.

I had some experience, and was with a Ukrainian woman who had been there before as well.
She could more easily handle it and did. That's the way to go.Much simpler and faster.
 I did have the original rental flat landowners number, also Jacks number  , and a few other people with flats in the area .So plenty of back up plans for a flat :)

but overall if you have a good grasp of russian and the appropriate costs, or a RW along with you can easily wing it and get a flat.like everything the key is location location location.
and of course seasonal availability and your own tastes. I like to walk, so it doesnt need to be right on the beach.
you can also get one pretty easy from the similar group of landlords/managers around where the taxis drop everyone off near the boardwalk, however you might expect the pricing (for the same flat) to be higher ..lol
or as a single man/foreigner it would of course go up  unless you know the exact prices you should be paying and willing to barter a bit.

Offline AJ

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 03:28:53 PM »
The yellow dot there , is the large gondola , to give some scale to the photo.
:)

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 08:37:14 PM »
Great photos & posts AJ --thanks.  You also made the same point to Cuffy about winging it-- I was about to say the same thing when you reposted on topic.
The other point I would add-- if you look like an American tourist you will be making it harder for yourself.No offense intended-- but I am sure people understand what i mean!!There are a lot of hotels in the area--so accommodation is no big deal-- but it is at holiday destination prices in high summer.
I dont think the Crimea will disappoint anyone.