The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Back to The Ukraine  (Read 132750 times)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Back to The Ukraine
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 05:53:33 AM »
OK update I have held back from posting but I had already decided I wanted to meet again Katerina of Zhitomir, Special K as I call her.

When we met before she was beautiful aged 31 but also elusive. A designer who knew art and design with plans for moving to Georgia with her daughter of about two years of age. It seemed the plans were developed but she lacked control of her daughter. We became friends on Face Book and she was/is beautiful. Her daughter seemed to be both joyous and lively.

She is described in reply #14.

After my time with Miss Cappuccino I asked point blank if Special K saw any sense in meeting again. Yes she replied.  Anyways about two week ago I studied her profile again and saw that on info she indicated she was “In a relationship”  OK to Skype and I asked her directly about this.

In the meantime she and her daughter had chicken pox – that her daughter had it this happens – that she had it – I suggested that she avoid her friends who might be pregnant she confirmed this was the doctor’s suggestion.

Below is the transcript

AvHdB  1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 4 7   A M   
Your profile on FB says you are in a relationship? What does that mean for me.

K a t e r i n a   Z h i t o m i r   1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 4 9   A M   
that I have relations now, and I must now make choices for themselves.

AvHdB  1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 5 0   A M   
I see
1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 5 1   A M
I assume you mean to write > I must now make a choice for myself <

K a t e r i n a   Z h i t o m i r   1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 5 2   A M   
yes

AvHdB  1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 5 3   A M   
That makes you life more complicated   
1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 5 3   A M
your life

K a t e r i n a   Z h i t o m i r   1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 5 4   A M   
of course, but I'm not looking for easy ways :) :) :)

WOW what am I doing!

OK – this is just a small red balloon.

We continue to exchange banter on Skype. She is both clever and at times funny.

But I am bothered by this reality of another.

In the meantime I travel to York and see a school for my daughter, the evening in a pub meet a bunch of women, in fact students studying in the University, all from Ukraine. One indicated she was quite “available.” I wonder about “The Flying Dutchman”

In the meantime I maintain contact with Lena from before as well as Yuliya, both want ME to visit Kiev to meet friends of theirs, women.

At the end of last week I was talking with Special K, and she admitted that everything was not good. She needed serious surgery on her back (spine). The long and short was she was not sure if she could meet me during the time I was planning on traveling to her. The surgery is to take place in Kiev but a date has not been planned.

I do not fully understand the nature of the surgery but it seems critical.

I think there are now 99 red ballons.

Now what do I do?

My aim is true.

Elvis
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2012, 06:32:43 AM »
This is difficult, many women, maintain local relationships, that many of us know, nothing about!
But if she is going public with it, then she must be somewhat serious!
Where does that leave you? More important if he is local, how do you compete and do you want to?
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Bruce Lee

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2012, 07:13:07 AM »
OK update I have held back from posting but I had already decided I wanted to meet again Katerina of Zhitomir, Special K as I call her.

When we met before she was beautiful aged 31 but also elusive. A designer who knew art and design with plans for moving to Georgia with her daughter of about two years of age. It seemed the plans were developed but she lacked control of her daughter. We became friends on Face Book and she was/is beautiful. Her daughter seemed to be both joyous and lively.

She is described in reply #14.

After my time with Miss Cappuccino I asked point blank if Special K saw any sense in meeting again. Yes she replied.  Anyways about two week ago I studied her profile again and saw that on info she indicated she was “In a relationship”  OK to Skype and I asked her directly about this.

In the meantime she and her daughter had chicken pox – that her daughter had it this happens – that she had it – I suggested that she avoid her friends who might be pregnant she confirmed this was the doctor’s suggestion.

Below is the transcript

AvHdB  1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 4 7   A M   
Your profile on FB says you are in a relationship? What does that mean for me.

K a t e r i n a   Z h i t o m i r   1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 4 9   A M   
that I have relations now, and I must now make choices for themselves.

AvHdB  1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 5 0   A M   
I see
1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 5 1   A M
I assume you mean to write > I must now make a choice for myself <

K a t e r i n a   Z h i t o m i r   1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 5 2   A M   
yes

AvHdB  1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 5 3   A M   
That makes you life more complicated   
1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 5 3   A M
your life

K a t e r i n a   Z h i t o m i r   1 / 1 6 / 1 2   1 0 : 5 4   A M   
of course, but I'm not looking for easy ways :) :) :)

WOW what am I doing!

OK – this is just a small red balloon.

We continue to exchange banter on Skype. She is both clever and at times funny.

But I am bothered by this reality of another.

In the meantime I travel to York and see a school for my daughter, the evening in a pub meet a bunch of women, in fact students studying in the University, all from Ukraine. One indicated she was quite “available.” I wonder about “The Flying Dutchman”

In the meantime I maintain contact with Lena from before as well as Yuliya, both want ME to visit Kiev to meet friends of theirs, women.

At the end of last week I was talking with Special K, and she admitted that everything was not good. She needed serious surgery on her back (spine). The long and short was she was not sure if she could meet me during the time I was planning on traveling to her. The surgery is to take place in Kiev but a date has not been planned.

I do not fully understand the nature of the surgery but it seems critical.

I think there are now 99 red ballons.

Now what do I do?

My aim is true.

Elvis
So if I read correctly she has caught "chicken pox" and also now requires spinal surgery?

If I have read this correctly I would say normally 2 excuses into 1 would generally indicate an acute attack of Bullshit!
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2012, 04:43:42 AM »
Tomorrow to Zhitomir - please some one turn on the heat!

I now have a better picture of Special K's health issue it is a spinal surgery that seems serious - scoliosis. The surgeons need to replace the support structure that has failed.

My question and what I am somewhat handicapped by is how to address this with regards to Katerina. Are there any suggestions how to approach a 30 year old woman with this condition.

Offline christianv

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2012, 06:31:00 AM »
Tomorrow to Zhitomir - please some one turn on the heat!

I now have a better picture of Special K's health issue it is a spinal surgery that seems serious - scoliosis. The surgeons need to replace the support structure that has failed.

My question and what I am somewhat handicapped by is how to address this with regards to Katerina. Are there any suggestions how to approach a 30 year old woman with this condition.

Zhitomir wasnt fun back in october when temperatures declined to around 10c..Zhitomir is one of the last places on the list i want to be right now with temperatures 20-30 below 0.... i wish you the best.. :coffeeread:
Im currently in Odessa, Ukraine. Feel free to call me if you are planning to visit! (+38) O66 55 75 6O4

Online AvHdB

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2012, 06:56:12 AM »
The sun is shinning - unfortunately the water system froze, I hear the first time from '91.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2012, 09:37:19 AM »
The sun is shinning - unfortunately the water system froze, I hear the first time from '91.

I'm curious. Is that your brother on the other list?

Offline missAmeno

• Spouses Country: ukraine
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2012, 11:30:13 AM »
Anyways about two week ago I studied her profile again and saw that on info she indicated she was “In a relationship”  OK to Skype and I asked her directly about this.

From my point of view if facebook (or any other profile) states "in a relationship" - then it is relatioship that is going for some time and to some extend is with "serious" intentions. Otherwise what is the point to announce your status publicly? AvHdB just put yourself in the shoes of the guy who believes he is in relationship with this girl, do you want to take his place and be "in relationship" with her knowing for a fact it will not stop her from flirting with other men
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, ideals, thoughts, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2012, 12:50:59 AM »
Anyways about two week ago I studied her profile again and saw that on info she indicated she was “In a relationship”  OK to Skype and I asked her directly about this.

From my point of view if facebook (or any other profile) states "in a relationship" - then it is relatioship that is going for some time and to some extend is with "serious" intentions. Otherwise what is the point to announce your status publicly? AvHdB just put yourself in the shoes of the guy who believes he is in relationship with this girl, do you want to take his place and be "in relationship" with her knowing for a fact it will not stop her from flirting with other men

It is a valid point & fair point. We have spoken about this and while I do not have an answer she has said that she is looking for something different than what she had. But it still bothers me, for what it is worth.

Also she has far more friends on FaceBook than I and just like some women do when they are in public they wear a virtual Wedding band. From a friend who worked a long time in a popular pickup bar they often found a wedding band or two on the floor. Rarely did anyone come back to file a lost and found and when they asked about the value once every other month or so you afford a couple beers from them.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2012, 12:53:02 AM »
I'm curious. Is that your brother on the other list?

tiphat ~ I was looking in the mirror as I typed ~ :8)

Online AvHdB

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2012, 01:20:28 AM »
Arrived in Boryspol only an hour late – delays due to a loading issue in Schiphol.

Drive to Zhitomir was over two hours – traffic – compared to earlier trips the work on road improvements has slowed to a few guys warming themselves at roadside fires it seemed. Temperature on landing –14 & upon arrival at 5:30 in the afternoon in Zhytomyr –18 centigrade.

Special K had organized an apartment in the center, in a 70’s building, very close to the center. Price $30 per night. It was clean & modern; unusual for all my stays in Ukraine this apartment was the first with four different security/locks to reach the inside of my apartment. An outdoor key, an elevator SIM card pass, a floor key and a door key.

After I had my passport fotograghed and the rental agent Yaroslav explain everything four times I returned downstairs to beer hall, called Shulz in the basement of the apartment building to await Miss Katerina. I was able to have a sip of my beer and shortly after 6 pm as agreed, she was at the entrance. She is both beautiful and vibrant.

She explained before she left she had come down with a cold, must likely caught on her bus trip back from the hospital/clinic in Kiev. She was clearly sick but we talked. She was infact unhappy that I had not brought Igor, but while I value his insight. It is not my plan to have Igor 24/7. At times the conversation was difficult as she sought an English word or did not understand what I was saying or explaining.

There were many things we shared in common, joy in Bach and pleasure in Tiësto, seafood and chicken over pork and red meat, Scotch neat before Vodka. Champagne before mixed drinks, but we both share a weakness for a Margarita.

She lived for three years in Praag and spoke of her brother in Canada. The talk was wide ranging and I tried to explain some of the problems that I had with my brother. In turn she explained while she loved her brother she hated the cold and was reluctant to emigrate just because her brother was there. Her brother lives and works in Saskatchewaan. He is in fact the one who is paying for the surgery.

It seems in her teens and her early 20’s she was a bit of a wild Punker child complete with a piercing half shaved head. She liked both the Sex Pistols, Ramones as well as my favourites the Clash and Jam.

Since her father is deceased I asked her if we were to become a couple would her brother ten years older than her would he approve of us? A long silence, and than a simple reply; “If I am happy, yes.”

While we talked about many things we seemed almost by agreement to avoid two subjects. She avoids her pending surgery and her present relationship. It turns out she has been married twice before and divorced. I sensed though the other person was not local. She is optimistic for the surgery but needs to be healthy for the surgery. We agreed we needed a translator and I said I would try to find some one. She would also see if she could find some one.

She indicated that she lived close by and I we left. She was most unhappy that I had thin gloves and no hat. I promised tomorrow to wear a hat and true gloves. Warning her my hat was quite funky and I would look like an American. She insisted that I wear it.

Thursday was clear and cold – 23 when I was out at 08:00, in Zhitomir virtually no one was on the street. I wondered about and found a café called +Cava, on the Kievskaya, across from local theatre. In fact this is where I first met with Katerina. I texted her that I was alive and we agreed to meet for lunch. She had organized a translator via a colleague for $13,00.= per hour

At 12:30 there was Special K and her translator Marina, cute. K explained that she only had an hours time because she had so much to do at work. Special K is in fact leader of a team in a regional advertising firm and something of a third person in the firm of 30+ employees. We talked again and while there was allot spoken it was clear she was both tired and stressed. We parted and agreed to meet around 6 pm to talk further. For her office team as a gift I gave a box of Belgium chocolates. She was surprised and pleased.

I continued to do my work and at times Skyped a bit with K. True to form she arrived at just after 6 pm just after Marina. We spoke of her daughter and K wanted to know about the differences between The United States and Holland. She asked if I would object if she told her mother about me. I sad that was OK and there was more a smile in her eyes.

While she had hoped to spend more time with me tomorrow between unfinished work and getting ready for the surgery, she needed the morning for this. Part of me was disappointed but also understood. It was clear that she was feeling less than perfect but she seemed to “soldier on”. During the dinner I offered to arrange a taxi to take her to Kiev instead of the bus. This and the fact that I would pay when she was back for English lessons she both refused. From what I know of her I am very fond of her.

Special K needed to get home to her daughter who her mother was watching and I agreed to walk her home. Walking in the cold I told her that no matter how the surgery went I wanted to be with her and we cross the bridges in front of us together. She stopped and said quietly thank you. A simple kiss and we parted. I returned to the +Cava and spoke further with her.

This is quickly written with only two coffee’s, I am confident there are many things that I have forgotten but I will fill them in as I remember.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2012, 09:24:46 AM »
Friday ~ 3.II.2012

Zhytomyr

During the day I shopped with Marina the translator and after some consideration bought an 8 GB iPod for Special K. After much arguing pleading and other wise cajoling my laptop I managed to transfer about 3 GB of music to it. I realize now the advantage of owning the CD’s of your favourite songs and having them on your own laptop.

Some of the music is noise Katerina might like and one play list that I created of songs that spoke to me a reflected in different ways my feelings regarding her. Some such “In Your Eyes” from Peter Gabriel are classic where as “Er is een Nacht” from the Guus Meeuwis are not well known. Special K after her surgery will need to spend about two weeks in bed in Kiev. Her mother will come and stay for some of the time with her. Perhaps the music will help her recovery and my chances.

Friday might from about 4:30 till 8:30 I spent the time again with Special K. Finishing and handing over her work took more time than she hoped. Further she was not able to reach her doctor in Kiev. She also indicated that her friend was not able to take her daughter and she is knowing staying with the ex. Something she was not happy about but she had no other options.

Marina again translated for us again. While she has a good grasp of the language and was rarely looking for words compared to Igor she is in fact poor at her work. But she is the sister of a colleague who is happy being paid for a skill that she can't use usually. At times the women twittered to one another and at one point they both smiled and giggled. Great I am being vetted, I thought.

We spoke about plans and a future and Katerina asked if knew where Bern was, yes of course was my reply. She indicated that in June her best friend was being married there and she wondered if I would like to join her there. The wedding is scheduled at the time of the Basel art fair so why not. Also I have never seen the Klee museum near Bern. This is a good sign in my book. During the dinner I whispered in the ear of Katerina that my feelings were very strong for her. She told me to tell it to her in a SMS latter.

Katerina said point blank that she had in the next four weeks allot to think about and while she often did things on the feeling of her heart, now she had to be logical and consider more things. But she would make a choice. I told her we both had two and did not desire to make it three. Marina was confused but K knew exactly what I was saying and smiled at me.

We parted outside a Marina took a taxi home. Snow was falling hard and I was glad that I organized with Yuriy to come from Kiev and fetch me. Yes I will pay a premium for him ~ the normal fee is about $90,= and Yuriy gets $150. But he has a late model SUV and is a good driver. Special K told me in her English that Marina thought I was cute and wanted to know where we met. Great a revolution baby digs me.

In my apartment I sent and SMS to K that there were many things to love and nurture that were part of her.  Is this what you were whispering in my ear she asked as reply. Yes I replied. I received an SMS smile as reply.

“In your eyes I see the light and heat . . . I am complete . . . I see the resolution of all the fruitless searches.”

Peter Gabriel ~ from In your Eyes

Saturday ~ 4.II.2012 Back to Kiev

For a long time I debated staying on but I realized I am a major distraction to Katerina getting rest. We agreed to meet again but not in early March but at the end of the month when she has finished rehab.

On Saturday morning it still is snowing and there is about 15 centimeters lying about. The problem is that all the sidewalks are covered with ice and this makes traversing about a challenge. In The States we have four sorts of snow; powder, wet, dry and sticky. I understand in the Nordic languages there are more than a dozen descriptions for snow. I wondered what pain in the derriere snow is called. Snow removal as we understand this in New England is basically unknown here. Sort of like Ukraine politics, push it away and let some one else deal with.

Special K wanted to see my place and seemed happy that the inside was clean and neat. We left the keys and walked over to +Cava. They have free internet, cute waitresses and good cappuccino.

Before Marina came I gave for Katerina cheese the bottle of champagne, telling I hope we drink it together. She was grateful for the cheese and told me she would bring it to Kiev. As for the iPod the reception was completely different she refused to accept it. I pleaded with her and explained that she was going to be immobile for maybe three weeks and this made more sense than flowers. And was not that much more expensive. She still was not going to accept the gift and I let the issue stand. When Marina arrived I had her explain this was a gift to a friend and no matter what happened this was for friendship further I said it would allow her to better understand me as one group of songs strongly reflected my character and feelings about her.

She said than you and gave me a cautious hug. I could see her grimace and felt her external brace. She admitted that she coveted the iPod and seemed touched by thought that I added a fair amount of music for her.

I will update most likely on Tuesday when I am back in Amsterdam.

I am now in Kiev awaiting two other women that the meetings were already organized long before I left for Ukraine.

Don’t, Don’t tell me no, I want you to take my hand and never ever let it go . . .

Sophie B. Hawkins ~ from Don’t Don’t tell me no

Offline Larry

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2012, 10:30:37 AM »
AvHdB,

As always, I'm enjoying your trip report. 

As I was reading previous  installments I was curious about a topic that has been discussed before but only briefly:

... we get ready for bed I ask Inna to sleep with me but she says she needs to be next to Dannik.

From what I gather many FSUW prefer to sleep next to their children (sons?), even if there are other bedrooms available.  If Miss Cappucino is representative, maybe many prefer to sleep next to their child even when they are  in an intimate relationship with a guy in the adjoining bedroom.  Does anyone care to share their observations about this?

Offline christianv

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2012, 12:20:58 PM »
Tried to return your call but your phone is either switched off or you are on remote territory  :laugh:
Give me a call when you have a chance!
Im currently in Odessa, Ukraine. Feel free to call me if you are planning to visit! (+38) O66 55 75 6O4

Online AvHdB

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »
AvHdB,

As always, I'm enjoying your trip report. 

As I was reading previous  installments I was curious about a topic that has been discussed before but only briefly:

... we get ready for bed I ask Inna to sleep with me but she says she needs to be next to Dannik.

From what I gather many FSUW prefer to sleep next to their children (sons?), even if there are other bedrooms available.  If Miss Cappucino is representative, maybe many prefer to sleep next to their child even when they are  in an intimate relationship with a guy in the adjoining bedroom.  Does anyone care to share their observations about this?

Thanks Larry,

Two meetings over will write more in a bit - having a Scotch to force my tongue back inside my mouth.

I can only compare the behavior from Lena of 2.5 who once her son was asleep was next to me.

For Inna it might very well be that because she shares a room in an apartment that when her son is with her they share the bed. But in any event I see to many differences that I suspect a long term relationship is not possible. Inna was one of those women who's child was great and I would enjoy seeing him grow up, the mother is not compatible with me. :(

Online AvHdB

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2012, 03:10:37 AM »
The drive to Kiev was in fact a quickie, perhaps because everyone was driving at between 60 and 100 kilometers an hour including Yuriy the light snow was blown to the sides. Anyways what is a touch of snow! We passed only one farm tractor plowing on the road until we came to Kiev Oblast. There at –18 degrees some numb nuts decided to salt the roads. Result perfect polished ice skating rink, a Zamboni could not do better. Numerous accidents and traffic slowed to a crawl.

In fact the trip was only an hour more than the trip from Boryspol.

I decided to take an apartment and Yuriy found one for $75 a night perfect. Clean and quiet but the internet was slow. I sushied myself for 320 hryvnia including two sake's. From there I posted my first part of the story on painfully slow internet.

The first meeting was with the friend of Lena, Irina this was almost painful we all agreed that there was no sense of future contact. Irina left and Lena and I chatted and she admitted the relationship she entered into is very difficult. I must admit if you picture the ideal of women from Ukraine it would be her. Yet perhaps with Special K, I have done better. Time will tell. That is something Katerina and I tell each other.

I decided to go early to Pommodore and meet the Yuliya’s. I already had a sense that Yuliya was going to be late and I would have to figure out Julia on my own. A bit early at the bar were some four ex-pats two Americans  sharing war stories about working in Kiev, as well as an Englishman? plus an unknown. With the Americans one from West Virginia and the other from Colorado we spoke about working/living here.

They lamented about home but liked the Ova’s, I looked at the time and wondered how late Julia would be. A drop dead obvious even all packed up for the weather brunette came in, tall and elegant. Young and ever so sexy. I heard a few breaths being sucked & ooh’s and aah’s on each side of me. She gave her jacket to be checked in used her phone. While I am not the most handy guy I grabbed my foon and tried to wipe the grin from my face. I heard the guy from Colorado guy say, “shit man”.

While Pommodre because of the weather was not so busy some of the local women were clearly annoyed by the beauty of Julia. It does not help if there dates stare at Miss Julia. It was hard to find fault with her appearance and charm. We were seated at a prime corner table, that is usually given to VIP’s. She was serious model material.

While I am not into trophies, I won lastnight. Now I better understand ChrisE’s wish but it is not my goal or ambition. In my eye though without doubt this is the most beautiful woman that I have ever been with.

I offered her a glass of wine, she declined. . . What did she want to eat, nothing . . . She ordered a small bottle of water and turned and asked me to explain the art world. What? She explained she was an artist. Well her beauty took my breath away but I can deal with her question.

OK it is simple, even in Kiev, if you sell stocks, insurance or real estate there are certain laws that have to be followed and adhered to. The same and in fact more stringent rules are in effect in New York, London, Amsterdam or Paris. In the art world there are few. Well there are a few but they are easy to get around. We are speaking of a billion dollar  industry that is basically unregulated. Well OK if you are an auction house you have to identify if your chandelier might bid on a lot you own.

In simple terms there are honest dealers who will if they believe in you will help you and others who will screw you.

I asked did she have any images of her work she was young I guessed 22 or maybe 24 years old. She had them on a memory stick but neither of us had a computer. Pommodore provided there laptop and allowed us to look at the images. I commented on the influences, M. Dumas, W. de Kooning and Basquiat. With a smile she concurred and add some information. She had talent and a good sense of colour. Also for an artist of her age her technique while not settled was advanced.

Today, Sunday, I will go her studio and see her work. As I write this I bounce between projects, RUA, and planning a campaign for her. On Skype with SpecialK who says guys can’t multi task!

Offline vendelo

• Spouses Country: USA/Hong Kong
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2012, 08:56:44 PM »
I am really enjoying your TR!

Thanks for taking the time to write...

Dan

Offline curiogeo7

• USA
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2012, 11:02:03 PM »
Thank you excellent read, wishing you the best. :thumbsup:
    G
You do not make others choices for them, do not let others make choices for you.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 02:03:33 AM »
Update, per SMS I have heard from Special K that all has gone well. Needless to say I am happy and relieved.

Here is the strange thing yesterday mid-day the discomfort and what I am told are the after affects from Polio that I have maybe once a year was gone. It is a dull pain or ache from my neck down to hips and was present for most of this month. While I do not advocate or claim that there is a symbiotic connection I also do not deny it.

I am planning on going back to Ukraine in 14 days to see Katerina.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2012, 04:04:34 AM »
After Maslenistsa, perhaps ?;)

I suspect from our talks Katerina will still be in rehab. My thinking is to come a week latter and bring her back home.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2012, 06:49:10 AM »
Special K is back in Zhytomyr already she feels good but thinks all the anaesthetics destroyed grey cells. She asked if in March would I like to go to Lvov.

YES big time!  :party0011: :party0011: :party0011:

Looking at flights and transfers I wonder does anyone know the approximate travel time from the city center of Lvov to the airport on a Monday morning. My flight out leaves at a rather un-Christian time of 06:45 what sort of time do we need to be awake. While I can fly directly to Lvov I would rather go via Kiev & meet SpecialK there, more time together thing.  :nod:

Online AvHdB

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2012, 06:06:20 AM »
"Getting to know you, Getting to know all about you,
Getting to like you, Getting to hope you like me"

from Getting to Know You, The King and I, Rodgers & Hammerstein

I have arrived at Boryspol – waiting for Katerina to show up. My flight was almost two hours late OK what is new.

Special K has it seems recovered well from the surgery and is looking forward to her future, will it become our future that is the question now. Yes I am a bit apprehensive; she is beautiful, smart and funny. As well as via Skype shown that she is sensitive and sincere. As we often say to each “time will tell”; this seems to our mantra.

She is under way from Zhytomyr to Boryspol and together with friends of hers we will go together to a decorators and antiques show in Kiev. Afterwards we come back to the airport and fly on or back to L’viv, a city that since I was a student in high school I have been curious about.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2012, 01:05:31 PM »
Have returned to Kiev - Special K had dinner and headed to Zhytomyr I return to Amsterdam tomorrow.

Will try to write a report in a day or two if time permits.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2012, 01:41:11 PM »
Have returned to Kiev - Special K had dinner and headed to Zhytomyr I return to Amsterdam tomorrow.

Will try to write a report in a day or two if time permits.

Time always permits AvHdB - get it down!  :)

Online AvHdB

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2012, 12:54:55 AM »
How’d you do it, how’d you find me?
How did I find you?
How can this be true
To be held and understood?

from Air ~ You Make it Easy.

Friday and Saturday Boryspil to L'viv

I arrived in Boryspil and waited for about almost an hour for Katarina to come out of the center of Kiev. We decided it was too late to return to Kiev and we stayed at the airport. We talked and talked and checked in only to discover that the flight was delayed by another two and half hours. For future travelers while I do not know what the situation in the new terminal that will open in June the present domestic terminal B at Boryspil is primitive, think one small coffee bar.

Katarina before boarding was in discomfort and I watched her close her eyes and make fists as she waited for the pain to pass. Sometimes she stood up and walked around. Between these moments we talked, it was easy.

We arrived in L’viv and well the airport was old fashioned. Steps, long hallways and small rooms. Baggage was delivered on a wagon being pushed through a door with each piece being thrown onto the floor where one had to push through the crowd to retrieve your suitcase. With the two guys taking a smoking break half way unloaded.

We found a taxi for 100 gryvnas and in 20 minutes were in front of our apartment At almost 11 pm the manager came and we took care of details. It was OK, in a way modern but missing the Western touches that would have made OK to perfect.

Once inside I opened my suitcase and Katarina was amused by the box of Special K, but thrilled by the pink cashmere scarf from Burberry that was inside. I had carefully placed the cereal box inside a Curver plastic container wrapped with a face towel around it. She loved the softness of the scarf and as I suspected it was her colour.

We agreed I would sleep on the sofa and Katarina was on the bed.  Special K spent an enormous amount of time getting my bed ready and was concerned about my well being.

Before going to sleep Katarina asked if I could apply spray ointment that was anti-septic to her scar. The scar was not pretty going from between her shoulder blades to just above her coccyx. Katarina was in pain as I sprayed her back; I did not feel well but understood the necessity.

I wondered if I could lie with her; yes!  :) We snuggled first with the covers between us and than Katarina told me to stop being silly and be next to her. It was interesting I sleep warm and she sleeps cold. We were able to hug, caress and whisper to each other. She fell asleep and I went to the sofa.

In the morning we walked and found semi-decent place for coffee. We made foto’s outside and talked and planned where we wanted to go. We walked about and I must admit early March in L'viv is cold. We discovered places and looked in a few museums. After lunch we visited the Pinsel museum housed in a church. His sculpture is amazing. I would say he is perhaps together with Joseph Wright of Derby the only interesting artists from the 18th century. We walked into and out of other buildings/museums but by three in the afternoon Katarina needed to lie down. We returned to the apartment and cuddled until about six when we decided to go out for dinner.

It takes me about ten minutes to get dressed up Katarina took just under an hour but without doubt the result was impressive. Elegant and simple. I gave her a simple necklace from some pink and black semi gemstone, which complimented her perfectly. She glowed with happiness.

I do not remember the meal but when we returned to the flat I suggested we switch beds my sofa was firm and in fact warmer. At first Katarina declined but after lying on it for a few minutes agreed. It seemed she was in pain and she asked if I could keep my hands on her back. I asked why and she said she liked the warmth.

An idea sprung into my mind. I took the face towel that had protected the cereal box and lightly sprayed both sides in the shower. I than zapped it for 90 seconds refolding it ever 30 seconds in the magnetron. Voila instant hot press. I placed it against Victoria’s back and she was delighted.

In 5 minutes she was asleep and I went to the rickety bed.