The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Back to The Ukraine  (Read 133188 times)

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
Re: Back to The Ukraine
« Reply #1125 on: October 28, 2017, 02:02:21 PM »
A week ago, on Saturday, for a walk and we ended up at the Mariinsky Park, which is anchoured at one end by the Rada. It has a nice view over the Dnieper and further East the Right Bank.

There is opposite the Rada a protest from the Right Sector. It was almost surreal or dystopian, babushka's with there little dogs, Right Sector militia, and kids using Segway's. Opposite the Rada is a portion fenced off, occupied by those of the a Ukrainian Nationalist tint in numerous tents. Both ends are open and people make there way through, lovers, and platoon's of Ukraine military, along with those hurrying some where else. Outside well organized, are portable latrines, out would step a policeman in riot gear and than next to him would come some para military pimple faced kid from the Right Sector. You could see some one with an affiliation to Ukrainian nationalism, discussing matters with an Orthodox Father. Vendors were selling trinkets and there flowers and Ukraine flags for sale as well. Plus the snails (mobile coffee kiosks) selling espresso.

The fences were well guarded by the military posted every ten meters, but they were back to the fence. Some took foto's others went about there business. It seems there is no interest for the far right. For every Nationalist there were ten policeman and military milling about. Further away the police were controlling trucks before allowing them to get closer, which seems like an intelligent precaution.

It certainly is not a tense situation. In fact it was more Kafkaesque than anything sinister. 

I will update today's visit to the same location after the pain subsides of loosing a game of chess to a 12 year old.

Any chance of snagging a few pictures for us Av?
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #1126 on: December 23, 2017, 07:07:01 AM »
Over the last several days in Kiev it has snowed, one day from four to over six inches. Tomorrow going into Christmas there will again be snow, but followed by rain. There is it seems a rush to clear the roofs of the snow build up and ice dams.

Pedestrians be aware!

Another thing that I have noticed over the last couple days is a marked increase in shopping for groceries in high end spirits and in particular, Champagne(ski). It seems more people celebrate Western Christmas as well.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #1127 on: December 24, 2017, 06:40:49 PM »
Over the last several days in Kiev it has snowed, one day from four to over six inches. Tomorrow going into Christmas there will again be snow, but followed by rain. There is it seems a rush to clear the roofs of the snow build up and ice dams.

Pedestrians be aware!

Another thing that I have noticed over the last couple days is a marked increase in shopping for groceries in high end spirits and in particular, Champagne(ski). It seems more people celebrate Western Christmas as well.

I was told by my Russian teacher that in Ukraine it was decided (not sure by whom) to celebrate "Western date" Christmas. I guess as a pro-Europe thing.
Anchors Rewoven

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1128 on: December 25, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »
It seems more people celebrate Western Christmas as well.

I was told by my Russian teacher that in Ukraine it was decided (not sure by whom) to celebrate "Western date" Christmas. I guess as a pro-Europe thing.

So a buddy of mine in Kiev rang me this morning to wish me a Merry Christmas, and I asked about this very point.  He told me that the government designated the 25th as a day off, but not "officially" Christmas, although there is a "rumor" that they will change the date next year.  Not sure how that would work, as the Orthodox Church isn't going to change the date, etc.

B/B

Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1129 on: December 25, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »
There is still snow around but over Christmas Eve we had a heavy rainfall so that Kiev is now soggy and most pedestrian areas are either rivers or puddles. A dinner last night with friends in the newly wall papered and painted apartment of Julia. Despite some prior drama the dinner was delicious and even consumed by Nicolas and another young friend.

Today we went for a long walk and ended passed Mariinsky Park, where there is a protest against corruption and demands for Porschenko to resign. The number of tents has  diminished as have all the police and army units.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1130 on: July 11, 2018, 05:13:14 AM »
Moderators,

Thank you for the clean up.

Av

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #1131 on: October 02, 2018, 01:03:41 PM »
Earlier I wrote of the connection of The Rolling Stones song Sympathy for the Devil and the novel of Master and Margherita (Ма́стер и Маргарита) written by M. Bulgakov during the Soviet period. Once translated into English the novel was recognized as one of the great satires of the Soviet Union. From this book we have the expression ‘ manuscripts don’t burn.'

The book has been adapted a couple times as a movie it was also made into a ballet which we saw in the Kiev Opera. It was amazing in that the music comes from composers and musicians such as G. Mahler,  J. S. Bach, D. Shostakovich, H. Berlioz and P. Gabriel. It was both amazing and fascinating, perhaps not for everyone it was well produced and quite vibrant. It was far from a classical ballet in the flavour of say Swan Lake.

Av, I was able to locate this post of yours via the search function. Unfortunately it’s the only reference to ‘Sympathy for the Devil’ I was able to find (excepting my own post from yesterday). But perhaps your other post referencing the song is up-thread here on “Back to the Ukraine.”
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #1132 on: October 08, 2018, 07:49:53 AM »

Just spotted this:

RUSSIA has now  left the 'official' Orthodox Church - mainly due to disagreements with Ukraine's Church with whom the Orthodox church has sided ..

Greece and Cyprus celebrate the catholic ( small C) Christmas 25th December. Strangely these Churches celebrate Easter based on the Gregorian calendar..Ukraine is just following this line ..( and making a Statement !?)
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1133 on: November 24, 2022, 05:56:04 PM »
Not really sure where to post this but I am loath to start a new thread. No I am not in Ukraine. I am in a part of the Netherlands that is often referred to as between the rivers. Yuliia and her son were ordered to leave Kiev after working as a statistician for the city and the military.

There are a large number of refugees here from Ukraine. I have sat in on meetings with the Gemeente (city government) and those displaced that have fled the fighting, some stories are harrowing. Through the stories the majority have a common wish and that is to return to Ukraine as soon as it is safe. Nicolas says the same of his Ukraine class mates. By all comments they are grateful for the assistance of the Dutch and universal in their hatred of Russians. Few understand the causes and effects of this war.

There is a fair amount of teasing about Yuliia learning Dutch and hot potatoes, but she is top in her group. Now if I can get her try Dutch pea soup!

Registration