The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Back to The Ukraine  (Read 133173 times)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Back to The Ukraine
« Reply #1100 on: June 25, 2017, 04:09:33 AM »
So the stadium where I am the favourite of the magpies (eksters) is used by everyone. In the morning a broad spectrum of those who are active ranging in age 30 years or so from me, some cute and young enough to admire  and make one run faster others hardy enough to respect. The babushka’s with grand children, other babushka’s to exchange gossip or it seems to moan. The football (soccer) field in the morning sees young and old do a wildly different regime of exercises.

About ten days ago in the late afternoon though there was an American style football game being played. I watched it was an odd game, quick paced and spirited. What was odd it seems the entire game was run/controlled by the referees. ‘Tackles', out of bounds and incomplete, everything it seemed. I heard four or so languages being spoken on the field, American, Russian, French and German, but everyone understood the big picture and whistles. The next day a full professional game was played between a team of Kiev and from China at another arena. Complete with crumy hot dogs and bad beer, the tickets were free. Some observers were enthusiatic others confused by the rules and style of the game. Nicolas was both amsued and confused.

Subsequently I noticed there were more nerf (foam) American footballs being tossed (attempted) about by youngsters at the stadium.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #1101 on: June 25, 2017, 04:38:56 AM »
The babushka’s with grand children, other babushka’s to exchange gossip or it seems to moan. The football (soccer) field in the morning sees young and old do a wildly different regime of exercises.

Paint me green with envy! I don't care much about stadiums and who runs on them (those are the same here), but i've never seen the notorious babushkas!!!  :( :( :( I know it's a cultural phenomena, i've read about them and heard of them more times than i can remember, but i've never seen a babushka sitting anywhere, neither i was crossed by one, as they usually describe those encounter(s of the third kind)...
I've seen very old people/ ancient shopping for groceries, i've seen them going about their business in the neighborhood (very old people, whom you won't see in Monte going alone in the streets, like in late 90ies), but i've never seen the infamous collective of babushkas sitting in front of a building or anywhere else... :(

You are lucky, Avvy...

When i was in China, on a trip far from Beijing i did see a very old lady with tiny feet which obviously were bound at the time. My jaw dropped. She was beautiful. She was walking by making the smallest step i've ever seen. (Don't get me wrong, i am strongly against the practice. It's an abomination and i am happy it's forbidden, same like FGM. I've read so much about it in various studies, but i never thought i'd see it with my own eyes. Almost the same with babushkas, in terms of cultural curiosity  :innocent:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #1102 on: June 25, 2017, 04:55:25 AM »
Ever seen a Babushka like this? When this video came out my mum didn't see much of me that weekend.....

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #1103 on: June 25, 2017, 05:04:37 AM »
Ever seen a Babushka like this? When this video came out my mum didn't see much of me that weekend.....

:loving: Kate Bush NORMALLY.  ;D This is idiocy, to my view, all of it, and the lyrics in particular  ;D ;D ;D

That's how an onanist from the West before the fall of the Berlin wall would eventually imagine a babushka.

They are sacred to us, our babushkas  :loving: :loving: :loving:

p.s. OR... a source of humor  :king:

Here, a representative of US gvmnt arrives to kolhoz to arrest poor babushka  :o
Douglas Adams

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #1104 on: June 25, 2017, 05:42:07 AM »

:loving: Kate Bush NORMALLY.  ;D This is idiocy, to my view, all of it, and the lyrics in particular  ;D ;D ;D

That's how an onanist from the West before the fall of the Berlin wall would eventually imagine a babushka.

They are sacred to us, our babushkas  :loving: :loving: :loving:

p.s. OR... a source of humor  :king:

Here, a representative of US gvmnt arrives to kolhoz to arrest poor babushka  :o

I think the lyrics are quite clever, as Kate herself explains....

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1105 on: June 25, 2017, 06:00:33 AM »
To prevent confusion, the stadium is a football field with a running track around it. Located in the middle of Perchesk it is a sort of oasis with a small park full of paths and walkways. It has allot of flowers/plants blooming. There are three colleges/universities who ring the area who seem 'maintain' the grounds.

As for Kate Bush my favourite song of hers is 'Running Up that Hill' slightly weird and to be considered is so many different ways.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #1106 on: June 25, 2017, 06:03:37 AM »

I think the lyrics are quite clever, as Kate herself explains....

ONLY because of respect to you personally i listened to interview, and (i hate to admit it  >:( ) you are right. What shocked me was a "babushka" used in erotic context, it sounds somehow... Perverted  :(
I KNOW women at any age are and can be and should be sexually active, it's that... Dunno... Babushka is something you carry from childhood (granny) and you kinda don't put it in that context (explaining my initial aversion.)  :innocent:

I realize i am being a pain the *** , but wouldn't it sound better:

"She wanted to test her husband
She knew exactly what to do
A pseudonym to fool him
She couldn't have made a worse move
She sent him scented letters
And he received them with a strange delight
Just like his wife
But how she was before the tears
And how she was before the years flew by
And how she was when she was beautiful
She signed the letter
All yours
Babooshka, Babooshka, Babooshka-ya-ya! "

Natasha, Tanya, Elena... Insert any name that's spread in Russia.

Just saying.

You do seem to be right, though.
Douglas Adams

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #1107 on: June 25, 2017, 06:04:49 AM »
To prevent confusion, the stadium is a football field with a running track around it.

It's "stadion" in my language (Montenegrin & related  :))
Douglas Adams

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #1108 on: June 25, 2017, 06:17:34 AM »

As for Kate Bush my favourite song of hers is 'Running Up that Hill' slightly weird and to be considered is so many different ways.

You know, i re-read the lyrics right now and i listened to the tune, it is weird. I do remember it from when it was popular, but i was too young then and my English wasn't sufficient to understand the lyrics.

I think i was 12 or 13 when "One night in Bangkok" was a hit. I LOVED it. I had no idea what it was about, obviously... Can we understand lyrics subconsciously and... fast forward them in time?!  :biggrin:

"One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
You'll find a god in every golden cloister
And if you're lucky then the god's a she
I can feel an angel sliding up to me

One town's very like another
When your head's down over your pieces, brother

It's a drag, it's a bore, it's really such a pity
To be looking at the board, not looking at the city

Whaddya mean? Ya seen one crowded, polluted, stinking town

Tea, girls, warm, sweet
Some are set up in the Somerset Maugham suite

Get Thai'd! You're talking to a tourist
Whose every move's among the purest
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me

Siam's gonna be the witness
To the ultimate test of cerebral fitness
This grips me more than would a
Muddy old river or reclining Buddha

And thank God I'm only watching the game controlling it

I don't see you guys rating
The kind of mate I'm contemplating
I'd let you watch, I would invite you
But the queens we use would not excite you

So you better go back to your bars, your temples, your massage
parlours"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Night_in_Bangkok

Douglas Adams

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1109 on: June 25, 2017, 06:31:46 AM »

You know, i re-read the lyrics right now and i listened to the tune, it is weird. I do remember it from when it was popular, but i was too young then and my English wasn't sufficient to understand the lyrics.

I think i was 12 or 13 when "One night in Bangkok" was a hit. I LOVED it. I had no idea what it was about, obviously... Can we understand lyrics subconsciously and... fast forward them in time?!  :biggrin:

Tea, girls, warm, sweet

parlours"

It might surprise many to know what that song actually is about. While I have heard from friends that there is something sinister about Bangkok, and the lyrics play on that, it is about an possible event, with an odd Russian connection.

What many do not know the song was written by the members of ABBA and was part of a musical.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #1110 on: June 25, 2017, 06:39:57 AM »

It might surprise many to know what that song actually is about. While I have heard from friends that there is something sinister about Bangkok, and the lyrics play on that, it is about an possible event, with an odd Russian connection.

What many do not know the song was written by the members of ABBA and was part of a musical.

Myself, i learned it many years later...

Btw, i am still thinking of that Kate Bush's song that Ste shared and why it  awoke such initial (strong) aversion in me... I understood more. You see, "he", the hypothetical husband of babushka, in reality was out of the picture. Like in SSSR, like in Yugoslavia. He was killed in WWII. I believe most of us, unlike remembering our grannies, remember the granpa's only from pictures before they went to the war. They were heroes. They sacrificed for us. The husband of babushka could never grow disappointed in her, he was too young when he died. My grandfather was only 27, God bless Him. He is written about  in several books and his name engraved in a monument for heroes who gave their lives for us. That's another reason why it is so confusing (the song). :(
Douglas Adams

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #1111 on: June 25, 2017, 07:32:26 AM »

Myself, i learned it many years later...

Btw, i am still thinking of that Kate Bush's song that Ste shared and why it  awoke such initial (strong) aversion in me... I understood more. You see, "he", the hypothetical husband of babushka, in reality was out of the picture. Like in SSSR, like in Yugoslavia. He was killed in WWII. I believe most of us, unlike remembering our grannies, remember the granpa's only from pictures before they want to the war. They were heroes. They sacrificed for us. The husband of babushka could never grow disappointed in her, he was too young when he died. My grandfather was only 27, God bless Him. He is written about  in several books and his name engraved in a monument for heroes who gave their lives for us. That's another reason why it is so confusing (the song). :(

Does make you think - I have never thought about my grandparents and WW2, both died before I was born, both in their late 30's when WW2 started in 1939, and my Dad's dad being an Irishman in UK probably refused to serve. Would have been slightly too young for WW1 too, I know people lied about their age but they'd have both been 14 at most when it started, probably younger. I'll probably do some research into my Irish side while I'm here in Ireland. Incidentally I walked down one street in Dublin City on Friday and saw plaques on wall regarding the births/deaths/worked/lived in of Wilde, Yeats, Schrödinger, Fanu and others. Joyce on another and even Bram Stoker who I had no idea was Irish. Lot's of famous folks...

Oddly enough I'd been to see a Kate Bush tribute band, first (and I've decided, last) tribute band I'll ever see, not really my chashka chayu...

My recently departed Uncle fought in the Far East and was affected badly, hardly left his room from then until his death about 2 years back...

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #1112 on: June 25, 2017, 08:10:18 AM »
I'll probably do some research into my Irish side while I'm here in Ireland. Incidentally I walked down one street in Dublin City on Friday and saw plaques on wall regarding the births/deaths/worked/lived in of Wilde, Yeats, Schrödinger, Fanu and others. Joyce on another and even Bram Stoker who I had no idea was Irish. Lot's of famous folks...

I think you should do that. I know many couldn't care less, but we (both Montenegrins and Balkans in general) are obsessed by ancestry  ;D

I wanted to get to know better an Israeli guy i knew from social networks. I told him, wait, your surname sounds very similar to the guy's who was the first to enter the sea upon Moses splitting it... And he was, like, right, that's my grand-grand-grand-etc.-grandfather  :ROFL:  :thumbsup:

Until this day, you'll see on fb (Monte) comments like: what else could we expect from a guy whose ancestors tried to kill our king  (all of which was at least 150-200y ago)  (:)  ;D

I knew of Joyce obviously, but not about Stoker. I pray to find Ulysses in a good translation (or any per that matter) to my mother tongue, because so far i tried to read Croatian version, but it's too complicated (Croatian as part of SH was understandable for the rest of  us, it was sort of "tamed" for that purpose, but then afterwards there was a big effort invested to reverse that effect and now, 20y later, i'd understand more if reading the original, than the translation. Right now i even understand more Ukrainian texts via Russian, than i understand Croatian via my mother tongue.)

Oddly enough I'd been to see a Kate Bush tribute band, first (and I've decided, last) tribute band I'll ever see, not really my chashka chayu...
chashka chayu

I was like: what the h*** Chow Chow has to do with anything...  ???  ;D
My recently departed Uncle fought in the Far East and was affected badly, hardly left his room from then until his death about 2 years back...

May he Rest in Peace.
Douglas Adams

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #1113 on: June 25, 2017, 08:20:15 AM »
I was did a little quiz on British Prime Ministers, see if I can remember the questions...

1. Name all the Irish-born British Prime Ministers.

2. Name the only assassinated British Prime Minister.

3. Name the only Jewish British Prime Minister (easy for you!)

4. Name the only non-British Isles born Prime Minister.

5. Name the only British Prime Minister who's mother tongue wasn't English.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #1114 on: June 25, 2017, 08:46:55 AM »
I was did a little quiz on British Prime Ministers, see if I can remember the questions...

I think that's easy for everyone...  ;D Benjamin Disraeli https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Disraeli

Google is my friend  ;D Andrew Bonar Law https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonar_Law
("Born in the British colony of New Brunswick (now in Canada), he is the only UK Prime Minister to have been born outside of the British Isles.")

(Googled) David Lloyd George
 Welsh-speaking: only Prime Minister whose mother tongue was not English.
Douglas Adams

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1115 on: June 25, 2017, 08:47:38 AM »

I only had correct two out of the five.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #1116 on: June 25, 2017, 08:49:28 AM »

I forgot the Irish ones but Wellington was one....

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #1117 on: June 25, 2017, 08:50:53 AM »

Me - only one  ;D
Douglas Adams

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1118 on: June 25, 2017, 10:08:33 AM »
Does make you think - I have never thought about my grandparents and WW2

I came to my parents later in life than was usual at the time, so, for me, it was my father who fought in WWII (both grandfathers in WWI).  My dad was actually a young veteran - America entered the war in December of '41 and he volunteered on his 18th birthday in '42. 

As you might imagine, my fathers service in WWII is a *HUGE* hit around the dinner table in Russia and Ukraine when the topic comes up and someone inquires.   :thumbsup: 

My father fought in the Pacific and so I generally discuss the American war effort in that context, which is easier for Slavs because they don't have any skin in the game.  The Battle of Midway is a good starting point.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #1119 on: June 25, 2017, 10:14:32 AM »

I came to my parents later in life than was usual at the time, so, for me, it was my father who fought in WWII (both grandfathers in WWI).  My dad was actually a young veteran - America entered the war in December of '41 and he volunteered on his 18th birthday in '42. 

As you might imagine, my fathers service in WWII is a *HUGE* hit around the dinner table in Russia and Ukraine when the topic comes up and someone inquires.   :thumbsup: 

Of course it is. From me too, RESPECT  :bow:
Douglas Adams

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #1120 on: June 25, 2017, 10:37:46 AM »

My father fought in the Pacific and so I generally discuss the American war effort in that context, which is easier for Slavs because they don't have any skin in the game.  The Battle of Midway is a good starting point.

B/B

In Russia I do the usual Brit thing about 1939, and tell them about The Phoney War, the Beidecker Raids, The Dam Busters (Dams Raid), The Blitz, The Battle of Britain (Hitler's first bloody nose) and Douglas Bader (Spitfire pilot with no legs) and they lose interest....

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #1121 on: June 25, 2017, 11:36:34 AM »

B/B

In Russia I do the usual Brit thing about 1939, and tell them about The Phoney War, the Beidecker Raids, The Dam Busters (Dams Raid), The Blitz, The Battle of Britain (Hitler's first bloody nose) and Douglas Bader (Spitfire pilot with no legs) and they lose interest....

How old is your audience?  ;D I remember that as "pioneers" we used to be dragged during various holidays to амфитеатр and some very old people were telling us very long stories about the WWII, and we hated it, and could fake interest for 10-15min, but not longer... Alas, the teachers all together with school principal and the rest of the stuff were standing at our side, and were watching us like hawks   :D :D :D It was unthinkable to yawn or talk or show disinterest in any way... But we did hate that and couldn't wait for the lecture to finish and to go outside to play  ;D ;D ;D
Douglas Adams

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1122 on: June 26, 2017, 01:49:31 AM »
On the same stadium two days before I left Kiev an odd and offbeat event occured there, two different groups of students arrived. You could distinugish two Oriental ethnic groups, One clearly Japanese the other I guessed were Chinese. They each arrived with duffel bags and they mingeled, laughing and joking, speaking English in what I find a humorous way, but ever so politely. Eventually the Japanese dumped there bags out, it was all baseball gear, mits/gloves, bats, face protection gear and lots of hard balls. The Chinese group studied the mits, balls, bats and other bits of gear, some looking at each other with apprehension or confusion. If I did not witness the proceedings I would not believe it. The Chinese did not really have a clue and the Japanese showed and explained, sometimes verbally sometimes by demonstration.

I watched and sort of chuckled from the side lines. I doubt based on what I saw that American baseball has a bright future on mainland China. My guess a Babe Ruth league from a minor town could out score and catch this group.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #1123 on: June 27, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »

Tea, girls, warm, sweet

parlours"

I remember the video of this song.  I never looked up the lyrics, but got the gist of the song from the visuals.  It came out around the time when Michael Jackson hit "Billy Jean" came out.  Before the 1980s, the songs did not include visuals that came out with the MTV phenomena.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online AvHdB

« Reply #1124 on: October 28, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »
A week ago, on Saturday, for a walk and we ended up at the Mariinsky Park, which is anchoured at one end by the Rada. It has a nice view over the Dnieper and further East the Right Bank.

There is opposite the Rada a protest from the Right Sector. It was almost surreal or dystopian, babushka's with there little dogs, Right Sector militia, and kids using Segway's. Opposite the Rada is a portion fenced off, occupied by those of the a Ukrainian Nationalist tint in numerous tents. Both ends are open and people make there way through, lovers, and platoon's of Ukraine military, along with those hurrying some where else. Outside well organized, are portable latrines, out would step a policeman in riot gear and than next to him would come some para military pimple faced kid from the Right Sector. You could see some one with an affiliation to Ukrainian nationalism, discussing matters with an Orthodox Father. Vendors were selling trinkets and there flowers and Ukraine flags for sale as well. Plus the snails (mobile coffee kiosks) selling espresso.

The fences were well guarded by the military posted every ten meters, but they were back to the fence. Some took foto's others went about there business. It seems there is no interest for the far right. For every Nationalist there were ten policeman and military milling about. Further away the police were controlling trucks before allowing them to get closer, which seems like an intelligent precaution.

It certainly is not a tense situation. In fact it was more Kafkaesque than anything sinister. 

I will update today's visit to the same location after the pain subsides of loosing a game of chess to a 12 year old.