The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Poll

How do most Western guys pick out a FSU wife?

They spend months in research, learn the language and culture and find their soulmate after careful consideration and many visits
6 (11.8%)
They marry the first girl that will have sex with them
5 (9.8%)
They marry the hottest girl that will agree to be seen in public with them
4 (7.8%)
WOVO with two visits or less
2 (3.9%)
WOVO with three or more visits
4 (7.8%)
WMVO with two visits or less
5 (9.8%)
WMVO with three visits or more
6 (11.8%)
They have business in the FSU and in the course of many business trips find a nice FSU girl
2 (3.9%)
WMVM with two visits or less
3 (5.9%)
WMVM with three visits or more
2 (3.9%)
They go on a tour
3 (5.9%)
They are ONE WEEK WONDERS !!
2 (3.9%)
Something else please explain
1 (2%)
Another option
1 (2%)
All FSUW are evil !!!!!!!!!! RUN !!!!!!!!
2 (3.9%)
Every FSUW is an angel and you can marry any one of them and be happy forever
3 (5.9%)
They used the services of a guide
0 (0%)
They had an arranged marriage
0 (0%)
Something else please explain #3
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Do most guys choose the first girl who sends her knickers flying in the wind?  (Read 12904 times)

Offline 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
How do you think most guys pick out a future mate?
This isn't just about you !! it also includes all the other
Joe Sixpacks, Bowling league Bobs and Barney the retired
boilermaker.

How do you think MOST guys pick out a FSU wife?

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Eyjafjallajökull

How do you think MOST guys pick out a FSU wife? Do most guys choose the first girl who sends her knickers flying in the wind?
They choose the first girl that makes them fall head over heels.  :)
Once you go Ukraine, you'll scream with sex pain.

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
I agree with Eyjafja...

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
You know I tried following the WMVO advice that was "in vogue" around the turn of the millennium.  Did not work for me.  Felt false and unnatural.  Decided to adopt the same strategy as I used at home - to date girls!
Expensive and I had to learn to date FSU style (3 trips down the pan - but fun I learned my lessons!)

Certainly was not based on sex.  I had sex with LOTS of FSU women.  Bad sex is a turn off but rare in FSU if the lady wants you.  I came to realise the type of person I was looking for.  When I found her she was not my first choice, she became so after several months.  Reckon I made a good choice married 8+ years now and two kids.

Thing is this quest is much more difficult than seeking a woman from your own culture.  A fact most guys don't accept till they have failed... 

Offline Manny

How do you think MOST guys pick out a FSU wife?

Most only meet one or two women. Most marry the first one that sleeps with them. Most ignore all such advice about that and go ahead and marry her anyway.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Larry

Bad sex is a turn off but rare in FSU if the lady wants you...

Thing is this quest is much more difficult than seeking a woman from your own culture.  A fact most guys don't accept till they have failed... 

Absolutely true

Offline Steamer

• Trips: 1-5
I can only honestly say how I chose my wife. It would just be throwing stones to try to say how other guys do it.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I've never seen a winner that didn't bet

Offline Eyjafjallajökull

Most only meet one or two women. Most marry the first one that sleeps with them. Most ignore all such advice about that and go ahead and marry her anyway.
Is that what happened to you, Manny?  :(

Offline 2tallbill

Many men don't go to these forums, or try to learn ANYTHING about the FSU
they buy into the hype and marry somebody that they barely know. Manny's
story isn't anything like that, you can read all about it by buying his book  ;D
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Manny

I said most - I didn't say me. Observe the OP:

This isn't just about you !! it also includes all the other
Joe Sixpacks, Bowling league Bobs and Barney the retired
boilermaker.

I dated in Estonia for seven years on and off before I thought about getting married. I subscribe to the five date rule [in any country - including the UK]. You do the maths......
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Eyjafjallajökull

Well, it is assumed that people's perceptions about others are based on their own life experiences.

Offline TomT

Well, it is assumed that people's perceptions about others are based on their own life experiences.

That is especially true if they employ projection.

Offline nunya

• RIP
    • First Dream
Most marry the first one that sleeps with them. Most ignore all such advice about that and go ahead and marry her anyway.

Only my opinion but I would say many, not most, but many.

Offline TomT

How about a majority? (We won't quibble about whether it's slim or a landslide.)

Offline Manny

My opinion was formed from the experiences of many people: forum tales, clients, clients of my wife, guys I know who are married, etc.

How about a majority? (We won't quibble about whether it's slim or a landslide.)

I can agree with a majority [or many] rather than most.

Offline Eyjafjallajökull

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree (on whether it's most, majority, many or some).
I feel pity for all your male acquaintances who didn't experience the thrill of romance, mystery and expectation, and I feel grief for their women who were so desperate that they chose to "send their knickers flying" in order to seal the deal.

Offline Ade

• Spouses Country: Russia/UK-Norway
From the WM/FSUW couples we know*, all dated and visited each other for some time before they married (a luxury we tend to have more of here in Europe). This is a mix of couples that met in various ways; a few through MOB sites, several others through more "normal" avenues. Of them, the 2 couples that have fairly disastrous relationships are a Polish dude and his Ukrainian wife and a Norwegian dude and his Muscovite wife - funny but these met in a more traditional way rather than through the MOB scene AFAIK.

Besides one of the dudes (the weirdo married to the Muscovite), all the guys are fairly normal personalities and, as far as I'm a judge of such things, they are above average looking (besides the weirdo married to the Muscovite ;) ).

*By "know" I mean those that we've had them around for dinner, been to theirs or to mutual friends for same.

Offline TomT

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree (on whether it's most, majority, many or some).
I feel pity for all your male acquaintances who didn't experience the thrill of romance, mystery and expectation, and I feel grief for their women who were so desperate that they chose to "send their knickers flying" in order to seal the deal.

To expand the discussion a bit, I think that the women of international dating are (in general) much more clever than the men in the selection process and in the consummation. Unfortunately, cleverness sometimes gives way to being calculating. Then, everyone loses.

Offline Rasputin

How do you think MOST guys pick out a FSU wife? Do most guys choose the first girl who sends her knickers flying in the wind?

That is a nice way of putting it. I am not convinced that men meeting a great many women are guaranteed of a happier or more successful marriage than those who met a few women  :biggrin: You date until you meet the one, and as far as I know there is not magic number...
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Zachris

• Spouses Country: Uzbekistan
You date until you meet the one, and as far as I know there is no magic number...

I agree with the above quote, which causes me to note a curious line of discussion here.

Are members suggesting that the first FSUW that a man visits absolutely CANNOT be the right woman for him? All things being equal, what makes the twentieth woman that much better than the first? I am not saying that the first woman will be the right one, but rather I am asking why could she not be?

Much of the posted discussion is making it sound like the FSUW is somehow out the trap the naive western man. Let us set aside the occasional woman with an evil agenda. Yes, it happens. But, really, how often? Now, I ask you, what benefit is there for a woman to enter into a poor marriage? The one week wonder is not entirely up to the man.

So, how about putting the shoe on the other foot? How many western men must a FSUW contact and interact with before she may decide that he is her chosen man? After all, there is some level of hormone induced, illogical, romance involved in this whole pursuit.  A women with her first western male contact also may be caught up in the romance, and therefore may not be making wise personal choices. Should we reject a woman merely because she has little experience with western men?
Numquam tribuere ad malitia quod sufficienter explicatur stultitia.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Никогда не приписывать злобы, которое может быть адекватно объяснено глупостью.

Offline Chemist

• Love Gone Global
Quote from: Zachris link=topic=15742.msg236152#msg236152
Are members suggesting that the first FSUW that a man visits absolutely CANNOT be the right woman for him? All things being equal, what makes the twentieth woman that much better than the first? I am not saying that the first woman will be the right one, but rather I am asking why could she not be?

The very first woman a man visits might very well be the right woman for him.  But in most cases, the odds are against him.  He's using his limited vacation time flying to a foreign country that has a foreign culture and speaks a foreign language.  He likely only had a few months of correspondence with her and doesn't know her very well.  Odds are the woman has had a few disappointing visits from men or had correspondence that went nowhere and has adapted accordingly. 

Quite frankly the man will find himself overwhelmed on his first visit because he's still wet behind the ears.

With a few more trips under his belt, he's adapted to the environment, more confident and knows the ropes a little better.  He may have learned a little about the language and culture and can function better during courting.  His comfort level has improved and so has his game.

Domestically, it's often a matter of experience in how well you do with women.  Abroad, it's even more so!
It is fortunate that a woman's charms can arrest a man's intelligence long enough for copulation to take place.

Our future depends on it!

Offline Muzh_1

Hi E-15, missed you there for a while. Welcome back.  ;D

Regarding your response, that's what happened to me.  :smokin:

Offline Muzh_1

You date until you meet the one, and as far as I know there is no magic number...

I agree with the above quote, which causes me to note a curious line of discussion here.

Are members suggesting that the first FSUW that a man visits absolutely CANNOT be the right woman for him?

Yes. Bad for business.

Offline Muzh_1

That was classic, superb. Unfortunately, I feel it will be lost in the noise.

Offline Muzh_1

So, how about putting the shoe on the other foot? How many western men must a FSUW contact and interact with before she may decide that he is her chosen man? After all, there is some level of hormone induced, illogical, romance involved in this whole pursuit.  A women with her first western male contact also may be caught up in the romance, and therefore may not be making wise personal choices. Should we reject a woman merely because she has little experience with western men?

Jeez, Zachris, don't you know this by now?  These are the evil scammers.  (:)

Registration