The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Taganrog - Таганрог  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Gonzo859

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
Taganrog - Таганрог
« on: October 15, 2011, 03:23:53 PM »
Anyone have any helpful information regarding Taganrog?

Best way to get to   :plane:  :travel: , apartment rentals   :Zzzzsleep: ,  places to eat  :popcorn: :coffeeread: , etc. ?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Спасибо!
Gosh I love translation software... from a website I saw this:
" In sex I like: green inflatable boat, a sort of dog, big bra, bread and a thermos"  at least I hope it was the software....

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Taganrog - Таганрог
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:06:44 PM »
Just waiting for you to ask.  :)

Taganrog (Таганрог)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCHUXVHZAQE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aCHUXVHZAQE</a>

Taganrog, birthplace of Anton Chekhov on 29 January 1860, is a seaside city (Sea of Azov) in Rostov Oblast, Russia, located on the north shore of Taganrog Bay, several kilometers west of the mouth of the Don River. The 2010 population of the city was 257,692.

ila_rendered
(Anton Chekhov birthplace; photo by Annataliya LJ, click to expand)

The distance from Taganrog to the Rostov International Airport: 45 miles

The distance to Moscow: 650 miles

Very cool link to photos of Anton Chekhov home: http://annataliya.livejournal.com/205473.html

An important port, this originally Greek city goes back to late Bronze Age - early Iron Age (between the 20th and 10th centuries BCE). It was the earliest Greek settlement in the Northern-Western Black Sea Region.

ila_rendered
(Stairway to Sea of Azov; click photo to expand)

Peter the Great chose Taganrog for the first Russian Navy base in 1698 and the port became host to the Azov Flotilla of Catherine the Great (1770–1783). This flotilla eventually became the founding of today's Russian Black Sea Fleet.

ila_rendered
(Peter the Great Monument; click photo to expand)

By the end of the 18th century, Taganrog lost its primacy as a military base after the Crimea and the Azov Sea was absorbed into the Russian Empire. In 1802, Alexander I established Taganrog Governorate, which existed until 1887. By the early 1800s Taganrog was home to the Tsar's summer residence (Alexander I Palace) and there is where he died in November 1825. His burial service was conducted at the Greek Orthodox Monastery in Taganrog.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:22:29 PM »
Today the city hosts 3 prominent universities and is the leading industrial center of the Rostov Oblast. Local industry is presented by aerospace, machine-building, automobile, military, iron and steel industry, engineering, metal traders and processors, timber, woodwork, pulp and paper, food, light, chemical and industry of construction materials, and one of the major ports of the Azov Sea.

ila_rendered
(click photo to expand)

ila_rendered
(Monument to Alexander I; click photo to expand)

Important sites to see:
The birthplace of Anton Chekhov

also,
The Chekhov Literature Museum
Ulitsa Oktyabrskaya 9

ila_rendered
(Chekhov Museum; click photo to expand)

Taganrog Museum of Art
Alexandrovskaya 56
347900 Taganrog

The Alferaki Palace
Ulitsa Frunze 41

ila_rendered
(Alferaki Place; click photo to expand)

Alferaki Palace is a museum itoday but was originally the home of rich merchant Nikolay Alferaki. It was built in 1848 by the German architect Andrei Stackenschneider in downtown Taganrog on Frunze Street (formerly Katolicheskaya).

City Architectural
Development Museum
Ulitsa Frunze 80
347900 Taganrog

Hotels:
Assol Hotel
Instrumentalnaya 31/2
+7(8634)64-15-65

Taganrog Hotel
Ul. Dzerzinskovo,161
+7(8634)683003

Golden Coast Hotel
Ul. Schmidta 16A
+7(8634)311357
www.gold-coast.ru

Hotel Bristol
Ul.Petrovskaya, 64
+7(8634)383022
+7(8634)383911

South Star Hotel
Ul.Petrovskaya,212B
+7(8634)321457

Transportation:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4TelneL3n7A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4TelneL3n7A</a>

ila_rendered
(Taganrog uses an extensive system of trolley or "tram-vaiy" (Трамвай) electric buses for transportation; click photo to expand)

Let's ride!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZwIN0I7285w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZwIN0I7285w</a>

Of course as are most places in Russia, a long distance train is usually nearby.

ila_rendered
(Taganrog train station; click photo to expand)

ila_rendered
(Taganrog train platform; click photo to expand)

ila_rendered
(Taganrog train schedule; click photo to expand)

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:37:33 PM »
ila_rendered
(Market; photo by Annataliya LJ, click photo to expand)

ila_rendered
(Petrovskaya Street, named for Peter the Great; click photo to expand)

ila_rendered
(The train runs in winter, too; click photo to expand)

ila_rendered
(For questions about winter weather click photo to expand)

ila_rendered
(The famous Saint Nicholas Church; click photo to expand)

ila_rendered
(Seafaring playground; click photo to expand)

Offline Gonzo859

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 08:43:38 PM »
You so rock!!   :party0031:
" In sex I like: green inflatable boat, a sort of dog, big bra, bread and a thermos"  at least I hope it was the software....

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 08:50:28 PM »
To answer your questions, you'll fly to the airport at Rostov-on-Don, a city of approximately 1 million, about 50 mi east of Taganrog. A Taxi ride from there should cost between $50-60.

Lufthansa and Austrian regularly fly to Rostov from hubs in Frankfurt and Vienna; there are also flights to/from Moscow and Istanbul serviced by Russian airlines.

You can also go via train from Moscow to Rostov takes about 12-15 hours (depending on the specific train) aboard brand-name express-trains "Tikhiy Don" or "Ataman Platov."

Downtown Taganrog is very walkable and public transportation is very cheap.

I did a quick search and didn't find any short term apartments specifically in Taganrog, but did find an acceptable grade place in Rostov (too far at 45 minutes) for $35 nightly just to run a price comparable.

More hotel info: http://www.hotels-russia.info/tag-taganrog.htm

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »
You so rock!!

с удовольствием.  :)

ila_rendered
(Anton Pavlovich Chekhov monument; click photo to expand)

Offline sparky114

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 12:14:53 AM »
I might know a little about this place  :-X

My wife is from there,and we got married in the town and with over 15 visits i have just a little insight to the town :coffeeread:

And i will be back there in 7 Days  :-X
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 01:02:53 AM »
How cool! We're expecting photos soon from you.....  :)

Offline Gonzo859

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »
I might know a little about this place  :-X

My wife is from there,and we got married in the town and with over 15 visits i have just a little insight to the town :coffeeread:

And i will be back there in 7 Days  :-X

I am sure you have very valuable insight and any light you can shed on Taganrog would be most appreciated Sparky!

oh yeah........photos would fantastic too!

Offline Gonzo859

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 06:46:14 PM »
Crazy....it actually takes less time to get there than to get to Odessa from where I live.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 11:42:54 PM »
Crazy....it actually takes less time to get there than to get to Odessa from where I live.

The two main routes into Rostov that i usually take are through Frankfurt with Lufthansa and Vienna with Austrian airlines both offer a good daily service so there is no problem on choosing what day to fly

Out of the hotels that Mendy listed above only two are really of note hotel gold coast and the Taganrog the others are getting quite dated now and do not offer the comforts you might be used too

Taganrog is not a vastly popular tourist resort in the winter for people from the west and even in the summer there are not many western people there (perhaps that is why it keeps it very Russian charm) as for apartments to let there are very few so finding one could be difficult, Donhollio came to taganrog, and i have to say he had been to Ukraine many times by this point0, and it would be fare to say and he will tell you himself he was not overly impressed

If you are looking for a metro type update city then this is not the place, the old charm still is very much in place we do have some very nice restaurants and places to go to and some fantastic walks and views over the sea of Asov, and the town is gradually changing to become more westernized but over all the Russian influence is still very strong and the buildings influence this.

I am very happy to say Mc D's has not found this town yet so the fast food mainly is Blini or shashlik or just cake and coffee :)

Brush up on your Russian  :scared0005: many young people do speak a little english but in many of the shops the workers do not

Overall I love the town, and have built a life there over the last 5 years and have many friends in and around the town, this time i am going to atend another wedding of an English guy with one of my wife's friends so a good party will be had by all  :party0011:

I have as some guys know a house in the town that we are slowly modernising and extending so we try to spend as much time between the two countries,but in the present climate thing have had to slow a little

Well good luck and i wish you well

Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 07:55:48 AM »

~ Donhollio came to taganrog, and i have to say he had been to Ukraine many times by this point0, and it would be fare to say and he will tell you himself he was not overly impressed~

~ the old charm still is very much in place~

Is that what they call it?  whooooooooooooo!!     :ROFL:   

OK, I'll stop.  :hidechair:

Gonzo if your going to be staying in Tagangrog than stay there. Don't commute between there and Rostov, it's a horrible mini bus ride. In my trip report I covered a little of that area, you can find it probably around page 25 or so.
 I went in December and the skies are grey and its so dreary I was ready to jump in a open manhole. Having a Nazi swastika and kill the Jews on my apartment door didn't add much charm to the place either.  :(