The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: (Girl)friend Visit VISA to the UK  (Read 5299 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: (Girl)friend Visit VISA to the UK
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 12:12:54 AM »
Hi DS

( sorry to the OP for us going  sl. off topic)

The ruling was specific - it breached the young married couples HR.

Ergo - in the aim of trying to use this law to prevent forced marriages, it affected genuine young married people from enjoying life together.

We both know that young people - without assets, ties are considered more of an overstay threat. This is why showing a relationship's durability is a strong factor in the OPs desire to be able to meet in the UK.

I know of a case where the UK has rejected an application for a EEA family permit visa from a FSU W partnered to a an EU citizen member of this board.. they had been together for 2.5 years.. ( co-habiting in an EU country for 1.5 yrs) but not married.. The FSU partner had had Schengen Visas and a UK one ( within that period ) The UK rejected the EEA FP because she had entered 'single' on her old UK VISA app...arguing that she didn't declare her relationship ! ( there is a clause in the EEA FP rules the allows for proving those NOT married must have been in an relationship for 2 years)

She WAS legally single - although dating the EU Citizen - a the time of the relationship ... so we can see how 'fussy' the UK Visa authorities can be.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 12:59:15 PM »

( sorry to the OP for us going  sl. off topic)

The ruling was specific - it breached the young married couples HR.Ergo - in the aim of trying to use this law to prevent forced marriages, it affected genuine young married people from enjoying life together.

I think the judges got it wrong again IMO.

We both know that young people - without assets, ties are considered more of an overstay threat.

This is the key point..if they can demonstrate these in their applications (and I refer to visitors) then there is no reason for being denied a visa. ( I think we can agree on this  :laugh:)

This is why showing a relationship's durability is a strong factor in the OPs desire to be able to meet in the UK.

I know of a case where the UK has rejected an application for a EEA family permit visa from a FSU W partnered to a an EU citizen member of this board.. they had been together for 2.5 years.. ( co-habiting in an EU country for 1.5 yrs) but not married.. The FSU partner had had Schengen Visas and a UK one ( within that period ) The UK rejected the EEA FP because she had entered 'single' on her old UK VISA app...arguing that she didn't declare her relationship ! ( there is a clause in the EEA FP rules the allows for proving those NOT married must have been in an relationship for 2 years)

She WAS legally single - although dating the EU Citizen - a the time of the relationship ... so we can see how 'fussy' the UK Visa authorities can be.

I suppose one could argue the point from both perspectives..perhaps they were nitpicking a bit and made a'bad decision'. Did they appeal?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 01:37:53 PM »
No they didn't appeal  - their choice .

As for being single - the lass' mistake was in her FSU nation she was legally single, but the UK Visa application allowed for the option for being in a relationship - but she thought - like you -  that she must be legally single, everywhere... !!

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 01:51:46 PM »
No they didn't appeal  - their choice .

As for being single - the lass' mistake was in her FSU nation she was legally single, but the UK Visa application allowed for the option for being in a relationship - but she thought - like you -  that she must be legally single, everywhere... !!

Don't get???

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 02:07:03 AM »
my 'bad' ? ;)

Offline szam_

• Spouses Country: UK
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 09:00:28 AM »
Hi all,

After much deliberation and due to certain circumstances, she is applying for a Tourist VISA on the basis of going to London as per advice from a couple of her bosses with much experience in the VISA application process.

The only issue we're now faced with, is that the form she is filling out online, is asking her "While studying, do you also work". She ticks yes on this answer and fills in her employer details for the company in Moscow, however, when she ticked "No" to "Do you intend to work while in the UK?", it reverts her "No" answer to "While studying, do you also work" to a yes (she found this when double checking she had filled in everything correctly). She then ticked Yes again on this, got back to the question about working in the UK, and found that this had been selected as "Yes" again. She's not sure what to do now, short of trying to contact the embassy to try and find out what to do with it.

I think she is going to start a new form to see if this is a problem with the form, however she is currently convinced that this is being done deliberately to catch people out with no other options but to say they don't work, even if they do.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 09:04:21 AM »
Szam_

Please let us know what happens with this application, as I want to be proved wrong.. but still think you're going about this the wrong way !

Good Luck 

Offline szam_

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 09:15:44 AM »
I will indeed.

I am disappointed (this being my first time being involved with anything to do with VISA's) that it is so difficult to obtain a VISA due to assumptions on what someone will do while here. I am dreading doing my VISA for a visit to Russia when it comes to it, it's all baffled me really. It's also a shame that from what it seems, to be the safest on a VISA application, she can't mention me at all.

However, her bosses and their daughters travel a heck of a lot, and while she has taken my advice on board, she might do well listening to them too. We also recognise that if she gets turned down for this, then it would've almost have been a certainty that she would have been turned down mentioning myself and going to a smaller seaside town in the UK rather than a city with many landmarks.

I have to respect her bosses though, they have helped her hugely in doing this. Hopefully, it is this that really helps her obtain a VISA in the end.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 09:20:08 AM »
I will indeed.

I am disappointed (this being my first time being involved with anything to do with VISA's) that it is so difficult to obtain a VISA due to assumptions on what someone will do while here. I am dreading doing my VISA for a visit to Russia when it comes to it, it's all baffled me really. It's also a shame that from what it seems, to be the safest on a VISA application, she can't mention me at all.

Its a lot easier for you to get a visa to go there, that's for sure. So when it comes your time to apply its no big deal, just a little form filling.

Слава Україні

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Agree with Moby on this. Your gf is not being truthful about the real purpose of her visit regardless of the advice of her bosses etc. It may come back to bite you at some future date.
Problem your gf is having with the form is likely just that, a problem with the form and not to 'catch people out'.

Offline Manny

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2011, 01:16:26 PM »
I am dreading doing my VISA for a visit to Russia when it comes to it, it's all baffled me really.

Don't even think about it. Let Real Russia do it and its done already: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=4799.0
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline szam_

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »
Agree with Moby on this. Your gf is not being truthful about the real purpose of her visit regardless of the advice of her bosses etc. It may come back to bite you at some future date.
Problem your gf is having with the form is likely just that, a problem with the form and not to 'catch people out'.

Don't get me wrong, i agree with you, and i would be happy that she could put the real purpose down without more of a risk of being turned down, however the reality is, she's damned if she does and she's damned if she doesn't. As people have mentioned, it might be better to not mention me at all and some people think she should mention me in the visit - while there are differing opinions on the subject, and i respect both sides, i presented her with all the pros and cons of each side of it and i have left it down to her to choose which way she wants to go with it.

The fact is, is that her age is completely against her and unfortunately it appears the UK is just a bit too paranoid for my liking in this. If this does go to rubbish, and nothing comes of it, then it'll be visits to her more often in place of visits to the UK, and visits abroad, and assuming a relationship develops over the next few years, then we will decide our next step then, we both agree there is no rush.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 01:57:50 PM »
Hi Matey

You DO know that if she gets declined she must declare it on ANY future Visa application - it looks BAD :(

Offline szam_

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
Hi Matey

You DO know that if she gets declined she must declare it on ANY future Visa application - it looks BAD :(

Fully aware of this. But as i stated above is that either way she applies there is reason for refusal, she's picked the one she believes will be more likely for her to get one this time, she feels mentioning me would be more risky, and the problem from how i see it, is getting that first VISA - there is a chance she could have put me on her application and that someone having a good day approves it giving her the benefit of the doubt, however, i understand why she doesn't want to take that chance.

If she gets turned down, it'll be disappointing, but hey, we will still end up meeting anyway, even if we have to put it back a few months and me go over there or both of us go elsewhere. Where there's a will, theres a way - a bit of hard work hasn't done me any harm either, so i am prepared for this to be an uphill struggle.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 05:37:26 PM »
Szam,

Just my opinion I think the tourist visa route is the wrong way to go.

Your friend does not have the credentials for the English tourist visa. If they see a mention to any other city that London they will look even more thoroughly at the application. Perhaps London for a weekend in a package from her country might get through. MIGHT I add.

My suggestions is she should become a student to a University in your region. She can continue her studies and earn credits as well as see if the relationship is viable for the long term. There is also the reverse route you should become an exchange student to her University.

In any event what ever happens she should not mention your relationship to her and vice~versa.

Perhaps you think this is presumptuous from a Yankee-Cloggie, but I know a number of young women who have tried and failed or succeeded in getting an English visa. It is only slightly easier than a woman from the former Soviet Union getting a visa to the United States.

At all cost you should avoid getting in her passport a visa denied stamp.

Let us know how it goes and we hope that it will work one way or the other for you in the long term.

AvHdB

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline sparky114

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2011, 11:22:06 PM »
Hi Matey

To add to this the real possibility that if she is discovered lying on her application to say she is here as a toourist and then is discovered as a VISITOR she could get a 5-10 year ban from applying for a UK visa

You should read the guide lines on the UKBA website

Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2011, 06:21:39 PM »
Hi Matey

To add to this the real possibility that if she is discovered lying on her application to say she is here as a toourist and then is discovered as a VISITOR she could get a 5-10 year ban from applying for a UK visa

Sparky

A tourist and a visitor are one and the same thing. In the OP's case the key fact is that she is visiting the UK in order to see HIM and this is the problem...she doesn't want to declare this but wants to give false information to say she is coming as a tourist visitor. As you correctly say..she risks a 10 yr ban doing this.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »
Hi Matey

Sparky

A tourist and a visitor are one and the same thing. In the OP's case the key fact is that she is visiting the UK in order to see HIM and this is the problem...she doesn't want to declare this but wants to give false information to say she is coming as a tourist visitor. As you correctly say..she risks a 10 yr ban doing this.

One of the same thing then why are they two completely different apps and requirements for submitting?

Mark

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2011, 01:16:51 PM »
Hi Matey

Sparky

One of the same thing then why are they two completely different apps and requirements for submitting?

They aren't. If you come for tourism or to visit friends you apply under the 'General Visitor' category and the application form is the VAF1.
Link to the form here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visas/vaf1a.pdf

Offline sparky114

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2011, 01:53:41 PM »
Hi Matey

Sparky

They aren't. If you come for tourism or to visit friends you apply under the 'General Visitor' category and the application form is the VAF1.
Link to the form here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visas/vaf1a.pdf

Agreed, that we both know very well what form but the questions on the online section when filling in are dependent on the type of visit you are undertaking are they not? and change to suit the the purpose IE if you are a Visitor you need to fill in details of your sponsor, not requiredif you are a tourist ETC ;)

Mark

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »
Hi Matey

Sparky

Agreed, that we both know very well what form but the questions on the online section when filling in are dependent on the type of visit you are undertaking are they not? and change to suit the the purpose IE if you are a Visitor you need to fill in details of your sponsor, not requiredif you are a tourist ETC ;)

No, this is not the case.  The questions are the same, you would simply omit the ones not applicable to you, eg if you are in a group you need the name of the group leader whereas if travelling alone leave this section blank as it doesnt apply to you. If you have a sponsor, there is no section on the form for sponsor details  but a supporting letter from the sponsor has to accompany the application.

Registration