The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Visa Registration  (Read 82099 times)

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Visa Registration
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »
It was my understanding that if the stay was going to be 7 business days or more, the Visa needed to be registered, but it is within 7 business days for a much longer stay?

Thanks for all the info guys...one more quick question.  If the hotel does not mail the registration to OVIR, could that cause issues when I visit again in the future?

Thanks again.  tiphat
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline sparky114

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »
It was my understanding that if the stay was going to be 7 business days or more, the Visa needed to be registered, but it is within 7 business days for a much longer stay?

Thanks for all the info guys...one more quick question.  If the hotel does not mail the registration to OVIR, could that cause issues when I visit again in the future?

Thanks again.  tiphat

Mike

You would never know if it goes through or not!!! , where are you flying to if it is one of the larger Airports then i am sure you will be de-registered when you leave aswell.
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Mikeav8r

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 01:48:07 PM »
Mark

I am flying in and out of St. Petersburg...from St. Pete to Odessa via Moscow.  Perhaps I should insist on keeping the receipt for safe measures, or at least a copy if the hotel will accommodate.  From most of my reading, reviews are indicating that most hotel personnel are rude and not very accommodating to Americans so it should prove interesting.

Mike
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »
Mike, relax bud. Seriously, if you're here for 9 days or less you don't have to register your visa (7 business days). If you have any problems or want to register and stay longer contact me and I will help you. Enjoy your trip.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Manny

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 04:25:13 PM »
Mark

I am flying in and out of St. Petersburg...from St. Pete to Odessa via Moscow.  Perhaps I should insist on keeping the receipt for safe measures, or at least a copy if the hotel will accommodate.  From most of my reading, reviews are indicating that most hotel personnel are rude and not very accommodating to Americans so it should prove interesting.

Mike

Mike, don't flap. You will be fine.  :)

Know the rules and stand your ground if challenged. If you know the rules, any would-be bribe extractors melt way. They rely on Muppets who don't know the rules.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Mikeav8r

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »
Mark

Mike

Mike, don't flap. You will be fine.  :)

Know the rules and stand your ground if challenged. If you know the rules, any would-be bribe extractors melt way. They rely on Muppets who don't know the rules.

Thanks Manny.  Yeah I was exposed to the bribe seekers in Ukraine and was able to stave off any issues by being prepared ahead of time.  Precisely why I ask questions here in order to be prepared.  Everyone is being most helpful and I am thankful...looking forward to my 3rd trip to the FSU.  :plane:
Two Favorites:

Offline meinuk

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 05:10:45 PM »
My business partner comes and goes, stays up to 2 weeks at a time, and never even registers his visa. Has never been a problem for him.

Snap. I agree with Ste too, or my hubby does.  :loving:

Although I would not want to encourage anybody to break laws, my (British) hubby has been travelling to Russia (sometimes several times a year) ever since we got married in 2007.  Apart from his first trip in 2006 when we met, he has never ever registered. Never again!" he said that time and stormed out of Ovir in a hissy fit!!! We have never had any trouble. Russian passport control have never asked him for registration document at airport in Moscow.

So I would say don't worry. But it's up to you.

Offline pando

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 07:02:20 AM »
If not staying in a hotel during the time in Russia (+ 7 working days) - does anybody have experience from registration at the post office (this is apparantly an option)? Which documents must be presented there?

Offline meinuk

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 04:16:30 PM »
Don't bother, Pando. You'll be there for hours. If you're unlucky they will have the 'wrong' forms, or the 'wrong' coloured stamps (we Russians just ADORE stamps).

Use the local OVIR, it will be much easier and faster.

Good luck with your trip.
 :)

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 03:54:39 AM »
My experience in 2 different post offices was fine. As long as they have the forms and you have a native person and the right documents with you, you'll be in-and-out in about 30 or so minutes and will cost you around $5,- or so :)

Some agencies in Moscow and St. Pete can do the registration on your behalf for some fee as well if I recall correctly.

Offline Alt-Str

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 07:56:59 AM »
Is this Visa Registration still needed in Russia ? I will be in Russia for 81 days under business visa.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 08:12:09 AM »
Don't bother, Pando. You'll be there for hours. If you're unlucky they will have the 'wrong' forms, or the 'wrong' coloured stamps (we Russians just ADORE stamps).

Use the local OVIR, it will be much easier and faster.

Good luck with your trip.
 :)

Update;

it's the FMS, now and I registered at svietik.coral's at the Post Office - took 15  minutes and just under 60 roubles... approx 1usd

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline sparky114

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 09:44:50 AM »
Is this Visa Registration still needed in Russia ? I will be in Russia for 81 days under business visa.

Yes it is still required and must be completed within 7 days (working) if staying longer than 7 days

As above i always register at the postoffice :)

Mark

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 09:57:18 AM »
Yes it is still required and must be completed within 7 days (working) if staying longer than 7 days

I believe you will be required to register it IN EACH CITY that you will be staying longer than 7 days. 

Business visa will probably be problematic for post office registration.  I think that applies to tourist visas only. 

Russian bureaucrats will expect the company that sponsored your visa to register you as a businessman. 
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline sparky114

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 10:14:41 AM »

I believe you will be required to register it IN EACH CITY that you will be staying longer than 7 days. 

Business visa will probably be problematic for post office registration.  I think that applies to tourist visas only. 

Russian bureaucrats will expect the company that sponsored your visa to register you as a businessman.

Whhops my bad for reading wrong , Thanks Shaky

Yes you will need to go to the FMS office for this one

Mark

Offline dnhptrs7

• Visa Help
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2019, 12:01:09 AM »
If you are a US Visa can you easily Russia for a visit?