The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Visa Registration  (Read 27040 times)

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Visa Registration
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 09:38:51 AM »
First time I went, 2003 (Gawd!) we made the mistake of going to OVIR to register. More officials than people and yet nothing got done, I'd rather gouge my own eyes out with a rusty nail than go there again....
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline sparky114

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 09:42:15 AM »
First time I went, 2003 (Gawd!) we made the mistake of going to OVIR to register. More officials than people and yet nothing got done, I'd rather gouge my own eyes out with a rusty nail than go there again....

Thats why most of us do it at the post office these days....so much easier  ;D
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline soyoukan

• andy wright online
  • Spouses Country: UK
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 08:38:54 AM »
update:

didn't register, was there for 7 days total, 6 business days..  no problem, did not even bat an eyelid or make any question. my visa and passport were checked in depth by at least 4 officials in the airport and given back with even a smile (bit worrying).......

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 09:39:11 AM »
7 working days is the limit.

Lesson: 4 officials looked it over. They were watchful.

As you stayed in a hotel, had you stayed longer than 7 days the hotel would have had the responsibility to register your visa.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 03:38:09 PM »
I am staying a total of 9 calendar days (including day of arrival and day of departure) which totals 7 working days so I need to register my visa.  I would have done this regardless of the number of days but my question is this: 

I am staying at 2 different hotels so do I need to register it at both locations or just the first?  Is it a total stay in Russia requirement or a location based issue?  Thanks in advance.

M
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »
I am staying a total of 9 calendar days (including day of arrival and day of departure) which totals 7 working days so I need to register my visa.  I would have done this regardless of the number of days but my question is this: 

I am staying at 2 different hotels so do I need to register it at both locations or just the first?  Is it a total stay in Russia requirement or a location based issue?  Thanks in advance.

M

Let me say that since 1997, I've never stayed in a hotel in Russia. 

But in the past, I've had hotels register my tourist visa for a fee.  They were always able to register my visa for the whole duration of my stay, regardless of what city I was going to be in.

Not sure what new requirements were put in place this spring when the visa laws changed yet again.   
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline Mikeav8r

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 05:29:48 PM »
Thanks Shakey..much appreciated  tiphat
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius

Offline Danchik

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 12:35:56 AM »
I am staying a total of 9 calendar days (including day of arrival and day of departure) which totals 7 working days so I need to register my visa.  I would have done this regardless of the number of days but my question is this:I am staying at 2 different hotels so do I need to register it at both locations or just the first?
One registration will be enough. But, you are require to register within 7 business days, so no you technically don't have to register it. But, if you insist for whatever reason it's a very small fee.

Is it a total stay in Russia requirement or a location based issue?  Thanks in advance.
One registration will be enough and should cover your time spent in Russia. Check the dates on your registration receipt to be sure just in case. The registration should "legally" be mailed back to OVIR by the sponsoring party when you leave which means you won't or shouldn't have it when you exit.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline sparky114

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 01:15:46 AM »
I am staying a total of 9 calendar days (including day of arrival and day of departure) which totals 7 working days so I need to register my visa.  I would have done this regardless of the number of days but my question is this:I am staying at 2 different hotels so do I need to register it at both locations or just the first?
One registration will be enough. But, you are require to register within 7 business days, so no you technically don't have to register it. But, if you insist for whatever reason it's a very small fee.

Is it a total stay in Russia requirement or a location based issue?  Thanks in advance.
One registration will be enough and should cover your time spent in Russia. Check the dates on your registration receipt to be sure just in case. The registration should "legally" be mailed back to OVIR by the sponsoring party when you leave which means you won't or shouldn't have it when you exit.

You see this is the probelm with Russia, the rules change from place to place and how it is interpreted is anyones idea (:) Down south here in Rostov region you no longer need to de-register by sending in the registration form, this is all now carried out when you leave at the airport and UFMS take the document from there or by computer means, the same thing happened to me at Domodedovo when i flew an internal flight between Rostov and Moscow. but this was end of last year before i got Temp Res

Mark

Offline Danchik

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 02:07:18 AM »
Yes one wonders. They didn't ask me for my registration when I left 3 months ago, and never have for that matter in all the time I've been coming and going. My business partner comes and goes, stays up to 2 weeks at a time, and never even registers his visa. Has never been a problem for him.

I imagine at some point in time they'll by more strict in enforcing policy, but I haven't seen it as yet.

Offline Mikeav8r

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »
It was my understanding that if the stay was going to be 7 business days or more, the Visa needed to be registered, but it is within 7 business days for a much longer stay?

Thanks for all the info guys...one more quick question.  If the hotel does not mail the registration to OVIR, could that cause issues when I visit again in the future?

Thanks again.  tiphat
Two Favorites:

Offline sparky114

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »
It was my understanding that if the stay was going to be 7 business days or more, the Visa needed to be registered, but it is within 7 business days for a much longer stay?

Thanks for all the info guys...one more quick question.  If the hotel does not mail the registration to OVIR, could that cause issues when I visit again in the future?

Thanks again.  tiphat

Mike

You would never know if it goes through or not!!! , where are you flying to if it is one of the larger Airports then i am sure you will be de-registered when you leave aswell.

Mark

Offline Mikeav8r

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 01:48:07 PM »
Mark

I am flying in and out of St. Petersburg...from St. Pete to Odessa via Moscow.  Perhaps I should insist on keeping the receipt for safe measures, or at least a copy if the hotel will accommodate.  From most of my reading, reviews are indicating that most hotel personnel are rude and not very accommodating to Americans so it should prove interesting.

Mike
Two Favorites:

Offline Danchik

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »
Mike, relax bud. Seriously, if you're here for 9 days or less you don't have to register your visa (7 business days). If you have any problems or want to register and stay longer contact me and I will help you. Enjoy your trip.

Offline Manny

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 04:25:13 PM »
Mark

I am flying in and out of St. Petersburg...from St. Pete to Odessa via Moscow.  Perhaps I should insist on keeping the receipt for safe measures, or at least a copy if the hotel will accommodate.  From most of my reading, reviews are indicating that most hotel personnel are rude and not very accommodating to Americans so it should prove interesting.

Mike

Mike, don't flap. You will be fine.  :)

Know the rules and stand your ground if challenged. If you know the rules, any would-be bribe extractors melt way. They rely on Muppets who don't know the rules.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Registration