The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Shashlik! The Barbie, Barbecue, BBQ, etc. The Grilling Meat Topic.  (Read 35107 times)

Offline PBRstreetg

• Spouses Country: Беларусь
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: The Shashlik! The Barbie, Barbecue, BBQ, etc. The Grilling Meat Topic.
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2014, 01:35:52 AM »
Tanya and I went to the Gulf Shore over Memorial Day. We visited The Shed -- a world famous BBQ joint in Mississippi. I look happy, yes?

that guy is geared up!

food and sex always go together Orchid))
Why worry about it? Dear(forgive) just do what comes natural.
Разрушить всегда легче, чем построить. Обидеть проще,чем простить. И врать всегда удобней , чем поверить. А оттолкнуть намного проще, чем любить

Offline headslash

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2016, 02:57:32 PM »
I've been grilling since I was a teen. I started with a weber kettle and graduated to a Kamado Joe.
and the goodness it provides
not just steaks. Turkey too

Offline froid

« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2016, 11:27:37 AM »
I bbq anything.  Everything from steaks to ribs to whole turkeys to pizza's and deserts even.  I use a Broil King Big Steel Keg...it's a Komodo style charcoal BBQ that is made out of metal so a lot easier to move around and less fragile.  I even hot smoke salmon on it to make indian candy too. 

Mila had me make steak once for her Russian friends and it was a shame to watch them eat overcooked shoe leather they requested out of the VERY good cuts of meat I had obtained.  I refuse to bbq for her Russian friends anything other than shashlik and beef short ribs now.

As for the metal box bbq's...I am not a fan because I feel that they leave the meat too close to the heat and letting the flame actually touch the meat is a big no no in my eyes.  With the box style bbq's the charcoals are RIGHT there and flame ups will invariably touch the meat. 

The Shed looks interesting...I will be passing there in a couple weeks...will have to see if I can stop in.  :D

Below is a pic of the last thing I BBQed...a bacon explosion.  Bacon wrapped around sausage and more bacon.
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline froid

« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
I always laugh when I have certain meals in Russia too.  On visits I try to have ONE steak meal to see if they do it right.  They NEVER do.  Haha. 

Last time was a fancy restaurant where I had "New York" steak.  It was no way even CLOSE to the proper cut of steak.  Even Mila commented on that poor thing I got that time. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Worth a mention here I thought.

I imported 5000 sets of Russian skewers the like of which you cannot generally find in the UK.

3mm thick, 1cm wide, 70cm total length, 55cm length after the twist.

These are proper catering grade stainless steel 'last you a lifetime' things. Not cheap tat that sag in the middle when you load them with meat, or stuff where the dodgy 'coating' flakes off.

People on the usual sales platforms are liking them at more £ than you are paying as an RUA member buying direct.

ila_rendered

These fit nicely across 54cm Weber barbecues like so.

And on box types.

They are £11 for a box of 4 inc snail mail UK delivery in the UK to folks here. Three sets (12) gets you DPD next day delivery @ £30 all in.

Various reasonable tracked shipping options available for those abroad depending on country, speed of delivery and quantity.

PM me if you want some.  :thumbsup:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
My step son made Shashlik, as they do in Ukraine.
With stacked hardwood, it takes about 2-3 hours before
it is ready to start cooking. He did a fine job, no pics, all was eaten quickly :)
Now I have promised to make a proper box/grill out of metal for him to BBQ with.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Gipsy

Worth a mention here I thought.

I imported 5000 sets of Russian skewers the like of which you cannot generally find in the UK.

3mm thick, 1cm wide, 70cm total length, 55cm length after the twist.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

These are proper catering grade stainless steel 'last you a lifetime' things. Not cheap tat that sag in the middle when you load them with meat, or stuff where the dodgy 'coating' flakes off.

People on the usual sales platforms are liking them at more £ than you are paying as an RUA member buying direct.

(Attachment Link)

These fit nicely across 54cm Weber barbecues like so.

(Attachment Link)

And on box types.

(Attachment Link)

They are £11 for a box of 4 inc snail mail UK delivery in the UK to folks here. Three sets (12) gets you DPD next day delivery @ £30 all in.

Various reasonable tracked shipping options available for those abroad depending on country, speed of delivery and quantity.

PM me if you want some.  :thumbsup:

Do you know why they have twists in them??
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Manny

No, I fell of the banana boat yesterday.

Of course I do.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Gipsy

Of course I do.

Just asking.. ;D

So you know, and I know, but do others know??   :whist11:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC

Of course I do.

Just asking.. ;D

The suspense is killing me....
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea

Of course I do.

Just asking.. ;D

I only know the practical function. If i didnt have those skewers yet. Id buy one off manny. A+ bbq material
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev

Of course I do.
I only know the practical function. If i didnt have those skewers yet. Id buy one off manny. A+ bbq material
Just asking.. ;D

I will venture a guess you can have a worm mechanism (gears) so you can turn all the skewers at the same time.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Mangals - as the Russians call 'em -can be bought with a little geared motor in Cyprus for turning the skewers..not seen 'em in Russia -
yet

Brought the caboodle back from Cyprus - Sparky is still living having sampled my culinary efforts with said apparatus.... Sod gas bbq's - it's just not as tasty
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Gipsy

Of course I do.
Just asking.. ;D

I will venture a guess you can have a worm mechanism (gears) so you can turn all the skewers at the same time.

Near, it is to do with turning the skewers.

Basically, the grill unit has small slots in its sides, and the skewer twists fit there, when you want to turn the meat a little, you just push the skewer a little in the slot, which in turn turns the meat but continues to hold the skewer firmly..

You should be able to see the slots..

Offline Gipsy

Mangals - as the Russians call 'em -can be bought with a little geared motor in Cyprus for turning the skewers..not seen 'em in Russia -
yet

Brought the caboodle back from Cyprus - Sparky is still living having sampled my culinary efforts with said apparatus.... Sod gas bbq's - it's just not as tasty

basic model available in Russia..

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
Wonders how long it'll be before Manny starts flogging Russian BBQ's  ;D

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
Sod gas bbq's - it's just not as tasty
I fully agree there!
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
yet

(Attachment Link)

Gipsy,

Have you got a link to one of those?

Offline Gipsy

yet

(Attachment Link)

Gipsy,

Have you got a link to one of those?

A basic model, made in china ffs....

http://tiu.ru/p102075524-avtomaticheskij-mangal.html

Some better models..

http://www.grill-mangal.ru/

This is probably a better link..

http://new.shashl.ru/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=yandex.context&utm_campaign=17667587&utm_content=1929822152&utm_term=%D0%B0%D0%B2%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9%20%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B3%D0%B0%D0%BB%20%D1%81%20%D1%8D%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%82%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC%20%D0%BA%D1%83%D0%BF%D0%B8%D1%82%D1%8C&yclid=2734088874147971969

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
 Ordered some of Mannys skewers. They are the business. Bbq at the weekend, methinks.  ;D

Offline Gipsy

Ordered some of Mannys skewers. They are the business. Bbq at the weekend, methinks.  ;D

If they are the same as the ones which I use, and they do look the same, they will be good, also easy to clean, and mine are about 8yrs old now, but still good, in fact was using them last night.

I would recommend these to anyone who likes to BBQ.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Sod gas bbq's - it's just not as tasty
I fully agree there!

Agree, gas is for the lazy! Piva always tastes better with wood flames.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Registration