The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Bukovel - The Carpathian Mountains, Ukraine  (Read 76027 times)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Bukovel - The Carpathian Mountains, Ukraine
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 04:10:12 AM »
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

As you can see, it was hot while we were there, sunbathing at the side of the lake, swimming pool, ice rink  :)
ila_rendered

ila_rendered
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 04:11:44 AM »
ila_rendered

The Shelter Hotel - outdoor restaurant
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Helicopter pad currently being constructed
ila_rendered
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 04:13:04 AM »
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Large complex under construction
ila_rendered

ila_rendered
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 04:15:14 AM »
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 04:15:52 AM »
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Even further out in the countryside new hotels are springing up
ila_rendered

ila_rendered
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 04:17:13 AM »
This is a new 300+ bedroom Hotel nearing completion, when we were here last year and the year before it had been started then work halted for some time, but now it is very close to being finished.
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 04:18:53 AM »
This Hotel we have stayed at a few times, quite nice and has a good indoor swimming pool with Sauna's steam rooms etc. It also has nice grounds with views of the mountains and outdoor eating areas.
ila_rendered

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 04:21:32 AM »
Well that concludes this years report on Bukovel, we hope to return to the resort in February 2012 and participate in some of the skiing and winter activities.

Bukovel, has stunning scenery, crystal clear air, a rich historical heritage and the unique cultural traditions of the native highlanders always attracts tourists to this resort in the village of Polanytsya. The resort has everything you would expect in a top class European winter holiday ski-resort including numerous runs (some floodlit) catering for all levels of experience, snow-mobiles, luxury hotels and cottages, nightclubs, pubs, restaurants, saunas, fitness centres, and even paintball. Not to forget idylic snowskiing and snowboarding facilities.

Whilst at Bukovel, you will have an opportunity to take horseback rides or view the Ukrainian Carpathian mountains from a helicopter, play paintball or visit an ice rink or a bowling alley.  The skiing season on Bukovel starts at the beginning of December and lasts mid-April. This resort is often the venue of different winter competitions, so there is something for everyone.

Chris
Слава Україні

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 08:11:57 AM »
Chris, truly impressive thread, thanks!

I guess if the temperatures are high, then those are some "smokinhotkorovas" you have pictures of then...
Anchors Rewoven

Offline Chris

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 08:24:48 AM »
Chris, truly impressive thread, thanks!

I guess if the temperatures are high, then those are some "smokinhotkorovas" you have pictures of then...

Thanks Slumba, yes they were high and yes they were some SHK's but there were a lot better ones that I didn't take photos of as my wife kept asking why I wanted pictures of other women   :-X   :)
Слава Україні

Offline simo82

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 01:32:32 PM »
Chris awesome stuff, i have loads of pics of Bukovel and have compared how much has changed in the year and bit since i was there.............they have certainly got on with it!!!!
Thanks for the Trip down memory Lane hahaha

Hope all is well with you. How many hours travel this time??

Offline Chris

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 01:40:37 PM »
Chris awesome stuff, i have loads of pics of Bukovel and have compared how much has changed in the year and bit since i was there.............they have certainly got on with it!!!!
Thanks for the Trip down memory Lane hahaha

Hope all is well with you. How many hours travel this time??

Yes all is well here Simo, we had a great time, it has changed dramatically in the last three + years we have been going there.

26 hours this trip home, probably one of the worst we have ever encountered, didn't help the little one being ill either, aggro in Boryspol with letting my daughter out of Ukraine (apparantly our letter of consent was no longer any good, despite the fact we had used it multiple times over the last 3+ years)  and for the first time ever, aggro in Manchester with the passport control lady thinking she had more power than she actually does  have and it probably being the wrong time of the month too (:)  :)
Слава Україні

Offline simo82

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 01:47:28 PM »
OHH Not cool mate....
26 hours sounds a very long trip this time.......
Was really cool looking through your pics....did or have you ever been to Yaremcha???

Offline Chris

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 02:41:17 PM »
OHH Not cool mate....
Was really cool looking through your pics....did or have you ever been to Yaremcha???

Hi Simo

No it was a bad one, yes been to Yaramche lots of times, see the hotel below, that is in Yaramche we stayed there this trip also. I will post some more pics of Yaramche shortly.

BTW have you been up the Dovbush hike in Yaramche and do you know the story behind it? I have posted photos before of all this in the Culture Section on here.

Hotel
ila_rendered
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »
Yaremche is one of the most popular climate resorts of Ukraine. Yaremche sometimes is called the pearl of Carpathians. The magnificient landscapes, healthful sources, remarkable sights of architecture, ancient and interesting history of the region, original culture and language of sincere gutsuls, promoted Yaremche to be known as tourist center in Prikarpattia. The simple European city with its own customs and traditions attracts thousand domestic and foreign tourists. The most magic places are a waterfall "Hasp" on the river Prut, Dovbush stone and rocks, unique cliffs on a right bank of Prut.

The Territory of Yaremcha local government is one of the major recreation districts of Carpathians mountains and Ukraine on the whole. City Yaremche with subregions Dora, Yamna is located on the height of 500-535 m. above a sea level. Yaremchanschina occupies the south-western part of Ivano-Frankivsk region and is situated in the central part of Ukrainian Carpathians within the limits of the mountain formings of Gorgan, Pokutsko-Bukovina Carpathians and Chernogori.

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »
A few pictures of the Yaremche area

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 02:51:26 PM »
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 02:56:45 PM »
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2011, 03:00:16 PM »
Dovbush Trail
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered
Слава Україні

Offline simo82

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 01:30:09 PM »
OHH Not cool mate....

Hi Simo

No it was a bad one, yes been to Yaramche lots of times, see the hotel below, that is in Yaramche we stayed there this trip also. I will post some more pics of Yaramche shortly.

BTW have you been up the Dovbush hike in Yaramche and do you know the story behind it? I have posted photos before of all this in the Culture Section on here.

Hotel
(Attachment Link)

Hi Chris, sorry i didnt reply to this, been a bit busy with the Wife studying for 2nd attempt at English test. She takes it tomorrow. 16/09/11
We never got the Chance to do much around Yaremcha, as we were all new to the area, (Sisterin law and her hubby) and no one really knew much....I now have about 10 locations all set out of where i want to go, and a return visit winter 2014 to Bukovel will be a must.. gotta save the pennies...or should i now say Kopiyka?
Not really up to speed on the Dovbush hike. Have you done it? would love to know more if you got time to explaine? Not a very fit chap, so anything that will shift the weight is all good! lol
Again great news about the Citizenship, and maybe you will write a bit more detail about it, so i can hopefully follow in your footsteps!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2011, 02:28:19 PM »
May I ask, on the photo of the Vodospad hotel above, hotel is spelled with a "G" rather than the usual "O" as it would be in Russian. Is that the usual Ukrainian spelling for hotel?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Chris

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2011, 02:42:18 PM »
May I ask, on the photo of the Vodospad hotel above, hotel is spelled with a "G" rather than the usual "O" as it would be in Russian. Is that the usual Ukrainian spelling for hotel?

Yes Manny, it is a 'G' because it is Ukrainian. Gotel' (soft ending) or in English Hotel' with a soft ending.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2011, 02:44:46 PM »
OHH Not cool mate....

Hi Simo

Hotel
(Attachment Link)

Hi Chris, sorry i didnt reply to this, been a bit busy with the Wife studying for 2nd attempt at English test. She takes it tomorrow. 16/09/11
We never got the Chance to do much around Yaremcha, as we were all new to the area, (Sisterin law and her hubby) and no one really knew much....I now have about 10 locations all set out of where i want to go, and a return visit winter 2014 to Bukovel will be a must.. gotta save the pennies...or should i now say Kopiyka?
Not really up to speed on the Dovbush hike. Have you done it? would love to know more if you got time to explaine? Not a very fit chap, so anything that will shift the weight is all good! lol
Again great news about the Citizenship, and maybe you will write a bit more detail about it, so i can hopefully follow in your footsteps!

Hi Simo

I will write more about Dovbush when I can, off for the weekend now, so not much time. I also have more pictures will post of the Dovbush Route.
Слава Україні

Offline nicknick

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »

Yes Manny, it is a 'G' because it is Ukrainian. Gotel' (soft ending) or in English Hotel' with a soft ending.

Actually, it's not uncommon for Enlish words that are transliterated into Russian to replace the English 'H' with the Russian 'Г'.

For example, Harry Potter in Russian is Гарри Поттер - Garri Potter

Harrison Ford is sometimes translated as Гаррисон Форд and sometimes as Харрисон Форд

The same happens with British cities as well, for example:-

Southampton in Russian is Саутгемптон - Sautgempton

and
Littlehampton is Литлгемптон - Litlgempton

I've heard a number of different reasons for this - however I don't know if I believe any of them so I won't repeat them here.

Offline Halo

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »

Actually, it is an "h".  This is a Ukrainian "g" - Ґґ  - Hotel', an unaspirated "h", unlike English.   A "G" pronunciation is a Russian influence.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten